Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Inventors (a game design by skystrider
posted 01-16-06 04:32 PM EDT (US)   
Age of Inventors

Age of Inventors is a real time strategy game that is set in sort of an in-between time, where ancient figures battle with futuristic technology.

There are five different civilizations, each one taking after a different inventor or discoverer: Darwin, DaVinci, Galileo, Edison, and Archimedes. each civilization has a few unique units, a special hero, a unique tech, a special "power", and a few bonuses.

The resources in Age of Inventors are Electricity, Metal, Wood, Food and Gold. Gold and Metal are mined from mines. Food is hunted from animals or grown on farms. Electricity is produced by Power Plants and shipped out through Power Lines.

Civilizations
Darwinians
The Darwinians follow the work of Charles Darwin, a naturalist and proponent of evolution.
Hero-The Mutant is the Darwinian hero. It is a human which is granted random powers such as flight or super high attack. No two Mutants have the same power.
Unique Unit-Tyrannosaurus nova-A newly evolved T. Rex. Can bite through enemies.
Unique Unit-Galapagan Monster-A giant tortoise which can crush enemies.
Unique Unit-Birdman-A half-bird half-man monster which can fly.
Unique Tech-Social Darwinism-All human units will slowly gain attack and hitpoints.
Bonuses-Unit upgrades research by themselves.
All Darwinian units are stronger against enemy unique units.
Power-Transmutation-Turns a bunch of ordinary units into monsters.

DaVinci
The DaVinci follow the work of Leonardo da Vinci, an painter and universal genius.
Hero-Clockwork Knight-A soldier than runs totally on clockwork and gears. Needs to stop and rewind every few minutes.
Unique Unit-Steam Tank-A tank which runs on steam. Can release clouds of steam, burning all the units around it.
Unique Unit-Clockcar-A armored car that is powered by clockwork. Needs to stop and rewind every few minutes.
Unique Unit-Aerocopter-Very similar to an helicopter, the aerocopter is a flying unit with a gun mounted on it.
Unique Tech-Pendulums-Clockwork units run faster and don't need to rewind as often.
Bonuses-Free Clockwork Knights spawn from DaVinci Workshops.
All gunpowder upgrades are free.
Power-Clockwork-Turns a group of allied units into Clockwork Knights and Clockcars.

Galileans
The Galileans follow the work of Galileo Galilei, an astronomer and philosopher.
Hero-Mars Man-The Galilean hero is a man from Mars which is very strong and fast.
Unique Unit-Velocity Gun-A cannon which shoots enemies from a great distance.
Unique Unit-Sattelite-The sattelite is a flying unit that can fire really long range but fairly weak lasers.
Unique Unit-Galileo's Lamp-A giant lantern mounted on wheels which can burn units near it.
Unique Tech-Galilean Telescope-All units have greater LoS.
Bonuses-Galilean units have greater LoS.
Galilean ranged units are better against flying units.
Power-Scopes-Cast to see anywhere on the map.

Edisonians
The Edisonians follow the work of Thomas Edison, an inventor and businessman.
Hero-Sciwizard-A wizard who uses technology to simulate magic.
Unique Unit-Incandescent Gun-A laser gun which uses the properties of the incandescent light.
Unique Unit-Taser-A gun which shoots bolts of electricity.
Unique Unit-Filamenteer-An infantry unit which delivers short range electric shocks.
Unique Tech-Kinetoscopes-All units train faster.
Bonuses-Edisonians gather Electricity faster.
Edisonian units have higher hitpoints.
Power-Short Circuit-Destroys any enemy unique units in an area.

Archimedians
The Archimedians follow the work of Archimedes of Syracuse, a mathematician and physician.
Hero-Ambphisoldier-A soldier which uses Archimedes' Principle of Buoyancy to stay afloat on land and water.
Unique Building-Archimedes Claw-A giant claw which picks up enemy units and smashes them on the ground.
Unique Building-Mirror Tower-A tower which uses mirrors to reflect the light of the sun, making lasers.
Unique Unit-Mirror Soldier-A soldier which uses mirrors to reflect the light of the sun, making lasers.
Unique Tech-Integral Calculus-All techs are researched faster.
Bonuses-Archimedian buildings are cheaper and build faster.
Archimedian Peasants are have higher attack.
Power-Tower of Syracuse-Summons an especially powerful Mirror Tower.

Buildings
Town Center
The center of civilization in Age of Inventors.

Workshop
Workshops are where unique units are trained and unique techs are researched.

Blacksmith
The place where human soldier upgrades are researched.

Barracks
The basic military buildings. Trains foot soldiers and archers.

Stable
Military building where cavalry are trained and upgraded.

Siege Factory
A military building which trains gunpowder units and siege.

Dock
Trains and upgrades all water units.

Units
Peasant-The basic villager unit. Trained at Town Center.
Milita-Basic foot unit. Fights with a sword. Trained at Barracks.
Hand Cannoneer-Man who wheels a cannon around. Trained at Siege Factory.
Arquebusier-Basic gunpowder unit. Trained at Siege Factory.
Arbelester-Fights with a crossbow. Trained at Barracks.
Spearman-Warrior with a spear. Good against cavalry. Trained at Barracks.
Cavalier-Faster, lighter cavalry unit. Trained at Stable.
Knight-Heavier, slower cavalry unit. Trained at Stable.
Catapult-Basic siege unit. Fires giant stones. Trained at Siege Factory.
Ballista-A gigantic crossbow-like siege weapon. Trained at Siege Factory.
Cannon-Advanced gunpowder unit. Trained at Siege Factory.
Transport-The transport ship. Trained at Dock.
Galley-Basic military ship. Trained at the Dock.
Merchant Ship-Trades back and forth between docks.
Frigate-Advanced military ship. Trained at the Dock.

Replies:
posted 01-16-06 04:49 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22  
First thing I thought of was Rise of Legends, but I can now see this would be a little different.

So would the strengths of each civ would be roughly as follows?

Darwinians: Strong land power (melee focused)
DaVincis: Strong air power, (maybe better land ranged units as well)
Galilieans: Strong Defense (?)
Edisonians: Strong economy
Archimedians: Strong Navy

posted 01-16-06 05:05 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22  
This is different.... but it was pretty cool.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 01-16-06 05:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22  
The DaVinci are focused mostly on artillery. Originally, I was planning on making the Galileans focused on air units, but that didn't really pan out. I'm having trouble picturing the Archimedians as a naval race, but I suppose they could be.
posted 01-16-06 05:13 PM EDT (US)     4 / 22  
DaVinci with best artillery? I would think that the civ based off of Galileo, a man known for work on gravity and physics, would do the best with artillery.

Hey, what about Newton?

posted 01-16-06 07:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 22  
I am currently thinking about an X-Pack for Age of Inventors which include Newton, Tesla and Curie. Before I write it up, does anyone know any other inventors who should be included?
posted 01-16-06 09:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22  
Einstein? Turing or Babbage? Newcomen or Watt? Huygens or Hooke?

...nah, those guys were all more scientists than actual inventors.

posted 01-17-06 11:10 AM EDT (US)     7 / 22  
Roger Bacon - the guy who first fried pork meat... kidding!

Roger Bacon is the only exact person you can credit the invention of gunpowder to, although many believe it was invented in the far-east earlier. The Pork-Chops, or whatever you'll name his civ, could be based on heavy-damage but in slow speed, like slow-infantry that take five seconds to reload between every powerful shot.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!
posted 01-17-06 11:32 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22  
Age of Inventors X-Pack Idea

There would be four new civilizations in the X-Pack: Teslans, Curites, Newtonians and Baconites.

Teslans
The Teslans follow the work of Nikola Tesla, an electrical engineer and physicist.
Hero-Coilier-A soldier wielding a coil which can shock enemies at range.
Unique Building-Tesla Sphere-A giant sphere which shocks any units near it with electrical energy.
Unique Building-Logic Gate-A gate which shocks enemy units if they try to pass through it.
Unique Unit-Hybrid Peasant-A peasant which runs partially on electricty.
Unique Unit-Anti-Grav Craft-A flying vehicle which can shoot enemies with electricity.
Unique Tech-Polyphase Power Distribution-All Power Plants gather electricity faster.
Bonuses-Powers Plants are build instantly.
Teslans do not need to build Power Lines to carry electricity.
Power-Magnet Field-Creates a force field around your buildings protecting them from harm.

Curites
The Curites follow the work of Marie Curie, a chemist and physicist.
Hero-Radiotoper-A soldier which does large of amounts of area damage with its radioactive materials.
Unique Unit-Radium Isolater-A warrior who can produce piles of Radium which damage enemies.
Unique Unit-Radiotank-A tank which uses radium to power it.
Unique Unit-Uranigun-A gun which uses spent uranium as bullets.
Unique Tech-Radium Emanation-Enemy units near your units slowly die.
Bonuses-Enemies near your buildings slowly die.
When Curite buildings die, they explode, damaging the units that destoyed it.
Power-Chemical Spill-Creates a pool of toxic chemicals which burn and deform enemies near it.

Newtonians
The Newtonians follow the work of Sir Isaac Newton, a physicist and alchemist.
Hero-Prismatter-A warrior who can create damaging rays of light with a prism.
Unique Unit-Gravity Gun-A soldier wielding a gun which uses gravity to crush foes.
Unique Unit-Sonic Boomer-A piece of artilery that can create sonic booms.
Unique Unit-Gravikite-A combat kite which can crush enemy units.
Unique Tech-Newton's Apple-All Newtonian units have higher armor.
Bonuses-All Newtonian units have 100% accuracy.
Newtonian short range units can use long ranged attacks.
Power-Gravity-Crushes an army of enemy units, making it so they can't move for a while.

Baconites
The Baconites follow the work of Roger Bacon, a alchemist and philosopher.
Hero-Scholastimancer-A powerful priest who can summon the Baconite unique units.
Unique Unit-Nitregun-A cannon which fire great exploding bombs.
Unique Unit-Hand Nitregun-A soldier carrying a nitregun.
Unique Unit-Pyrotechnic-A slow soldier which can create explosions, doing large amounts of damage.
Unique Tech-Crystal Nitrates-All gunpowder units are stronger.
Bonuses-Gunpowder units are much cheaper and train faster.
All siege have higher attack.
Power-Bomb-An explosion which damages enemy units and buildings.

posted 01-19-06 02:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22  
Why did you not include hero of alexandrea, he was the first robotist(sp?) expert ever.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!
_.+._
(^\/^\/^)
\@*@*@/
{_____}
posted 01-19-06 05:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22  

Quote:

Why did you not include hero of alexandrea, he was the first robotist(sp?) expert ever.

Roboticist? Ha! All he did was make an incredibly crude steam engine to wow a ruler with.
posted 01-20-06 11:57 AM EDT (US)     11 / 22  
Don't post on topics you know as little as you do on this one. He made a theater which played with no help put pulling a string once, the worlds first vending machine, a future telling bird, An Automaton which drinks at certain times only, the worlds first automatic doors, and alot more which I can't be bothered to type and yet by you all he did was make the worlds first steam engine.

(\__/)
(O.o )
_.+._
(^\/^\/^)
\@*@*@/
{_____}
posted 01-22-06 10:29 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22  
You should change the name of the aerocopter to the ornithropter, which is the appropriate name for Da Vinci's flying machine.

To those who disagree with me: What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

REAL MEN PLAY PINK

posted 01-23-06 00:45 AM EDT (US)     13 / 22  
I invented the Aerocopter ! (or so it seemed when I Google-searched it and Wiki-searched it)

(\__/)
(O.o )
posted 01-23-06 06:03 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22  
ornithropters are what they call them in Dune, so it felt like copying.
Sorry, Empror, I didn't mean to copy your word. I made up that bit before your WW3 (that's where you made up the word, right?) came out, and when I read it in yours, I forgot that it was in mine too.
posted 01-26-06 12:35 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22  
Oh no.... when i said: "I invented it" I didn't mean it in a copyrightish kind of manner. How could you even think i'd mean that? (Gabe Newell snatched Prehistoric: DoC right out of my hands! and i did nothing)

I meant it like in a comic kind of way!

(\__/)
(O.o )

[This message has been edited by Empror (edited 01-26-2006 @ 12:36 PM).]

posted 01-26-06 06:54 PM EDT (US)     16 / 22  

Quote:

Don't post on topics you know as little as you do on this one. He made a theater which played with no help put pulling a string once, the worlds first vending machine, a future telling bird, An Automaton which drinks at certain times only, the worlds first automatic doors, and alot more which I can't be bothered to type and yet by you all he did was make the worlds first steam engine.

Ok, so I found this site: http://www.history.rochester.edu/steam/hero/

Alright, so he did make a crude steam-powered door to wow rulers with. He seemed to have figured out that air had substance, and that heated water made something like air. His automatons were incredibly crude things which might have been something in Ancient Greece's version of Disneyland, but of no decent value in any military-related usage. I still think he isn't worth that much fame, and that he would not quite fit in this idea for a game.

posted 01-27-06 02:26 AM EDT (US)     17 / 22  
I am pretty sure Galileo Galilei didn't invented a Mars man, Velocity Gun, Sattelite, or a giant lamb on wheels, I am sure Darwin didn't invent any of his units. So why not give Hero his robots but with other weapons put on?

(\__/)
(O.o )
_.+._
(^\/^\/^)
\@*@*@/
{_____}
posted 01-27-06 10:50 PM EDT (US)     18 / 22  
posted 01-28-06 02:38 AM EDT (US)     19 / 22  
I actually thought the idea was nice.
And it's not the inventor her\himself that's being implented in the units and techs, it's their ideas, concepts, research, and consequences.

(\__/)
(O.o )
posted 01-28-06 05:22 AM EDT (US)     20 / 22  
Who is yelling at you Sky, I am yelling (if you want to call it that) at Olaf. Empror that is why I think Hero should be in it.

(\__/)
(O.o )
_.+._
(^\/^\/^)
\@*@*@/
{_____}
posted 02-05-06 08:58 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22  
The actual name of a "bird-like" flying machine is an orthopter. "ornithopter" is from Dune.

~Ra'akone

posted 02-12-06 04:02 PM EDT (US)     22 / 22  
Haha, this is awesome.

Its really out there, but awesome.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Age of Inventors (a game design by skystrider
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames