Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mughal Civilization for the AOE3 Expansion Pack
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02-04-06 12:17 PM EDT (US)   
Introduction: Although not as likely as the Chinese or Japanese in the expansion pack, the Mughal Empire should be the third buildings design and Asian civilization to balance things out. Of course India was a British colony, and that is why they are natives in my Natives Civs design, but what people don’t normally know about India is the great Empire that was one of the Asian contacts Europeans were trying to get to. The Mughal Empire was located in parts of the Middle East, Pakistan, and by 1707 controlled most of the Indian subcontinent. The Mughals weren’t conquered by the British, that was the Marathas, who drove the Mughals out of India, but the Mughal empire for a brief time had united India under one ruler, as opposed to the many fractured kingdoms it used to have. Because of its power, wealth, and spice trade, the Mughal Empire was a primary destination for European explorers like Columbus and nations, especially Spain, Portugal, France, The Netherlands, and Britain, who came searching for India. The Ottoman Empire did not share such a fondness for the Mughals. They often clashed with them for land and power, both empires respecting and hating each other.

Table of Contents
-Civilization Overview
-Mughal Economy and Military
-Unique Units
-Unique Unit Stats
-Unique Technologies
-Unique Cards
-Civilization Weaknesses

Mughal Civilization Overview

Flag

Unique Units: Gurkha, Mahout, Mansabdars, Bandukh Torador, Shudra
Royal Guard Units: Bandukh Torador, Crossbowman
Home City Ruler: Shah Jahan- Emperor that extended Mughal Empire, and repelled the Portuguese in Bengal, commissioned the Taj Mahal, and turned the Mughal Empire into a military machine
Civilization Bonus: Gets two explorers
-Their unique villager, the Shudra is trained cheaper and quicker
-Explorers can also build outposts

Mughal Economy

The Mughal villager, the Shudra, gathers slower than normal settlers, but they can be trained be trained quicker and cost cost 80 Food. Because of this the Mughals start with 10 Shudra, instead of the 7 settlers normally given. Once the Mughals get going, their economy is very good for rushing or booming, but they might only be a poor turtling civilization, because they really just have the basic wall and outpost upgrades.

Mughal Military

Normal Units- Cavalry Archer, Pikeman, Grenadier, Crossbowman, Falconet, Mortar

The Mughal Empire dominated because of their military might. They had an amazing combination of hand and ranged cavalry, hand and ranged infantry, artillery, and shock troops like elephants. The Mughals were almost unmatched on the battlefield, in one occasion wining with 12,000 against 100,000 at the battle of Panipat. The Mughals were very familiar with gunpowder weapons, producing their own kinds of muskets and cannons.

Mughals have some good counter units against cavalry and infantry, with good close range units being covered by two unique range units. Mughals can make claims without sending their very vulnerable Shudra to set up outposts by their Explorers having that ability, making it easy for Mughals to claim territory.

Unique Units

Gurkha: Light Infantry. Nepalese warriors that are famous for being in Indian kingdom armies and even the British Army. The Gurkhas follow the teachings or the warrior saint Gorakhnath. In battle they use their trademark weapon, the Kukri. The Kukri is almost a hybrid between an axe and a sword, and is steeped in much tradition. The Gurkha never draws his blade without drawing blood, and when no blood can be drawn, the Gurkha must give his own blood. Gurkhas are the Mughal equivalent of the halberdier, being very good against cavalry in close range, and is like the rodelero, a fast moving infantry unit. Gurkhas are vulnerable to infantry and rely on Mahouts and Mansabdars to take them out, along with crossbowmen.

Mahout: Heavy Cavalry. Mahouts are the riders of elephants that can control the temperamental beasts as easily as a normal rider can control a horse. Elephants were used throughout Indian warfare, and were used primarily as shock troops, but when the elephants would sometimes turn around and charge into the ranks of ally soldiers, mahouts were used to calm the great beasts down and direct them to where they need to go. Mahouts ride on top of elephants and use a musket to shoot down infantry, but they are very slow, and need a good range to be effective without getting swarmed in hand combat. Mahouts are also good against buildings in melee mode, using the elephants as siege weapons to topple buildings, and anything that gets in its way.

Bandukh Torador: Heavy Infantry. Bandukh Torador were Indian made matchlock muskets used until the 20th century. They were very powerful muskets that were used like the British longbow in the Middle Ages to take down cavalry. Bandukh Torador work in good synchronization with Gurkhas, laying down oppressive fire to the cavalry, so the Gurkhas can get into melee and take out the cavalry.

Mansabdars: Heavy Cavalry. High ranking troops of the Mughal Empire’s army that were personally appointed by the emperor. They were the commanders and overseers of the great cavalry tactics that marked the Mughal Empire’s military conquest. Mansabdars use long sabers in combat and are good against infantry, they work well with Mahouts as the Mahouts give offensive fire to the infantry, letting the cavalry come in and take them down in close range.

Shudra: Unique Settler. The lower caste of the Mughal Empire, Shudra are common farmers and laborers. Shudra train faster and cost less than normal settelrs, but gather slower. Shudra are also weaker than normal settlers, making a raid against the Mughals a very serious and deadly thing. Shudra also have a higher limit than settlers, with 120 as the limit because in the Mughal Empire, there was no shortage of population or labor. To protect Shudra, defensive measures should be taken to keep enemies out.

Unique Unit Status

Gurkha
First Available: Colonial Age II
Cost: 80 Food 40 Coin
Population: 1
Hitpoints: 160
Speed: 5
Resists: 15% hand
Melee Attack: 20
Melee Rate of Fire: 1.8
Melee Range: 0
Melee Bonus: x2 vs. cavalry
Siege Attack: 20
Siege ROF: 3
Siege Range: 0
Siege Bonus: none

Mahout
First Available: Fortress Age III
Cost: 300 Food 200 Coin
Population: 4
Hitpoints: 800
Speed: 3.5
Resists: 15% hand 10% ranged
Range Attack: 11
Range Rate of Fire: 1.5
Range: 16
Range Bonus: x2 vs. infantry
Melee Attack: 18
Melee Rate of Fire: 1.5
Melee Bonus: none
Trample: 60 hand damage (Not upgraded with guard and veteran upgrades)
Siege Attack: 80
Siege Bonus: x2 vs. buildings

Mansabdar
First Available: Fortress Age II
Cost: 60 Food 100 Coin
Population: 2
Hitpoints: 310
Speed: 6.75
Resists: 10% hand
Melee Attack: 25
Melee Bonus: x2.5 vs. infantry x3 vs. artillery
Siege Attack: 40

Bandukh Torador
First Available: Colonial Age III
Cost: 65 Food 35 Coin
Population: 1
Hitpoints: 150
Speed: 4
Resists: 15% hand
Range Attack: 25
Range Rate of Fire: 1.5
Range: 12
Range Bonus: x2 vs. cavalry
Melee Attack: 14
Melee Bonus: x2 vs. cavalry
Siege Attack: 15

Shudra
Age Available: Discovery
Cost: 80 Food
Hitpoints: 100
Population Cost: 1
Population Use: 1
Population Limit: 120
Resists: 5% ranged
Speed: 4.5
Attack: 3

Unique Technologies

Jagir Territory- Shudra HP and gathering rate is increased (Age IV 320 Food 265 Coin)
Urdu Language- Shudra train 30% faster (Age III 400 Food 200 Wood)
Brahmin- Infantry and cavalry have more HP (Age IV 280 Coin 260 Wood)
Persian Architecture- All buildings are 25% stronger (Age III 400 Wood)

Royal Guard Technologies

Jezail- Upgrades Bandukh Torador with 30% more HP and damage (Age IV 1000 Coin 1000 Wood)

Kshatriya- Upgrades Crossbowmen with 50% more attack (Age IV 1000 Coin 1000 Wood)

Unique Cards

Subkingdoms- Ships 10 Pindari and 15 Marathi Snipers (Level 10)
Emperor’s Crossbowman- Allows the guard and imperial upgrades to be available for Crossbowman (Level 20)
Anukusha- Mahout attack increased (Level 7)
Sultanate- Explorers’ attack and HP is increased (Level 7)
Improved Kukri- infantry melee attack is increased (Level 5)
Land Revenue- Plantations slowly produce Coin by themselves (Level 15)
Red Fort- Allows a fort wagon to be shipped to your colony (Level 3)
Zamindar- The cost of Shudra is lowered to 50 Food (Level 25)

Civilization Weaknesses
-Shudra are weaker and gather slower than normal settlers
-Mughals don’t get any shipments of Shudra, artillery, or ships
-Mughals have no Culverins, relying on mansabdars to take out other artillery

I worked hard on this and feedback is welcomed, especially about Shudra and the weaknesses. So tell me what you think.

Cosmopolitan? Check.

[This message has been edited by Yamato Take (edited 02-26-2006 @ 05:32 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-04-06 01:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 44  
A. Columbus was trying to reach the Mughals, which is how he found America.

B. Ottmans vs. Mughal encounters were common.

Actually, I see the Mughals as being more likely than Japan(Historically).

Problem is that there are people who like the Japanese more(Me as an example), and therefore the Mughals are moved as the third option.

Still, they're not a bad option.

posted 02-04-06 02:45 PM EDT (US)     2 / 44  
posted 02-04-06 03:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 44  
The mahout only has 400 HP, it should be boosted to something closer to 1200 HP, I mean seriously they are Elephants, if you take a look at the cuirassier they get 1000 HP, and only take 3 pop. It's illogical.

Besides that the whole thing is well thought out, I would definatley play as the Mugals if they were included.

Please give me your opinion on the Fall Of Mankind!!! Ultimate Zidane Video

Glory To the revolution!!!

O=[[[[[[[]]]]]]]=-------,
Get Hooked

[This message has been edited by King_Ali_Skahir (edited 02-04-2006 @ 04:02 PM).]

posted 02-04-06 05:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 44  
Yeah more hitpoints for the elephants. And add my berserker near death trample attack .

Seriously, this would be an awsome civ and I hope ES copies it to the T.

posted 02-04-06 06:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 44  
Lol, I was actually basing the Elephants on artillery. But thank you guys for the feedback and the support.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 02-05-06 12:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 44  
Elephants were actually quite easy to kill, with a javilenman get to the side and throw a javilin or 2 in its side and it is dead.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!
_.+._
(^\/^\/^)
\@*@*@/
{_____}
posted 02-05-06 05:07 PM EDT (US)     7 / 44  
Yeah, but from a game perspective that doesn't work. For example the Cuirassier would die from a single javiline to the head.
posted 02-05-06 05:46 PM EDT (US)     8 / 44  
Elephants would kill you before you got close to their side, that if the mahout didn't.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 02-06-06 02:08 AM EDT (US)     9 / 44  
AQlthough you would think that, they don't it was the most popular way to kill them in roman/greek times.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!
_.+._
(^\/^\/^)
\@*@*@/
{_____}
posted 02-08-06 08:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 44  
Nice Outline, good to have an Indian civ in here.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
posted 02-10-06 03:25 PM EDT (US)     11 / 44  
It isnt indian, it is Turco-mongol empire with his famous leader Babür shah (who considered himself as a Turk, i have a poet written originally by him).
posted 02-10-06 05:33 PM EDT (US)     12 / 44  
Yes I said before it was a empire stationed not in India, but then came to conquer India, uniting it under one nation, instead of its fractured kingdoms.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 02-10-06 07:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 44  
Sir yamato, in the middle of mughal empire and ottoman empire whas there the shia saffavid empire (famous leaders shah abbas, shah ismail) who estabilished their empire in current Iran + little bit iraq (till bagdat).

There whas a big hatred between Ottomans and the Saffavids, ottomans didnt saw the shia saffavids as muslims and hated them because they caused rebellions in the eastern front of ottoman empire. The saffavids didnt saw the Ottomans as true Turks (how ironic) and did want to expand over anatolia with using rebellion and with weaken the ottoman empire.

Then later there whas a war broken wich Yavuz sultan selim did win and driven them out of bagdat and pushed them further to the northern part of current iran.

Also the oldest son (moustafa) of Suleyman the magnificent had become a shia and the saffavids used him as spy later when his father (suleyman) heard that he let him hang.

[This message has been edited by Alparslan1071 (edited 02-10-2006 @ 07:24 PM).]

posted 02-10-06 08:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 44  
Yes, I know about the Saffavid Empire.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 02-12-06 12:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 44  
shah of mughal empire invited Ottoman architectures (students of mimar sinan) to build the dome of the mosque (taj mahal).
posted 02-12-06 12:05 PM EDT (US)     16 / 44  
I knew about the Taj Mahal. It's very cool, perfectly symetrical.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 02-12-06 12:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 44  
Yamato ill re-check youre info about mughal empire and later if i have time ill do some corrections which you may take sirious or not its up to you.
posted 02-12-06 04:15 PM EDT (US)     18 / 44  
Tell me, because I'm always interested in feedback.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 02-12-06 07:56 PM EDT (US)     19 / 44  
there UU's can be terriosts
posted 02-12-06 08:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 44  
How can the Mugals have terrorists? That's not a good idea Imo, seroulsy, terrorists?
Absolutely not!

Get Hooked

[This message has been edited by King_Ali_Skahir (edited 02-12-2006 @ 08:12 PM).]

posted 02-12-06 08:19 PM EDT (US)     21 / 44  
What is your problem Digitall? Insulting a geat nation like that.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 02-12-06 10:39 PM EDT (US)     22 / 44  
Was that racist, or just plain low?

And great ideas Yamato, they should include this civ

posted 02-13-06 09:35 AM EDT (US)     23 / 44  
they also should add the mameluks imho who where also strong empire with his famoust king baybars.

Mameluke means "slave army" in arabic, the mameluks where bought Turkic soldiers/slaves (in abbasid era) from one of the steppe army. Their famous leader whas also bought as a slave to serve the army, he whas a kypchak kazakh (still kazakhs know him as bekbars) boy and had blue eyes but one of his eyes couldnt he see good thats why he whas a cheap slave. Later whas he the head of his army which later defeated crusaders and the mongols at their highest peak in modern day damascus (syria).

They where very respected by the neighbour empires. They had many strongness but theyre weak side did bring their end, wich is not using of gunpowders or fireguns. When ottoman sultan yavuz sultan selim declared war on them they replied back with "we dont fight with fire-arms, cuz our prophet Muhammed didnt fight with fire-arms also" then the ottoman sultan replyed him back "you must fight a army the way they fight you".

The result whas victory to the ottomans and sultan yavuz sultan selim take the caliphate of the mamelukes by hangin the mameluk king (dont remember his name).

posted 02-13-06 06:35 PM EDT (US)     24 / 44  
I've heard of the mameluks before, and I think they would be good mercenaries.

But do you guys think the Mughals are overpowered?

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 02-13-06 06:58 PM EDT (US)     25 / 44  
Well i think 2 villies for 1 pop will bring some trouble with the game, maybe causing lag. I don't know it just seems strange.

Get Hooked

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Mughal Civilization for the AOE3 Expansion Pack
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames