You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoK Civ Idea: Berbers
posted 08-14-07 09:39 PM EDT (US)   
Yes, I have an AoK civ idea. The game is long defunct, but it was very fun. Besides, I dont want my hard work of a few years ago to go to waste. As such, I will ve reposting my civs, some will have changes. Why would I post this when I have Age of Nobility idea? Because it's precious to me. Its a gem of mine, and it can stimulate civ ideas for Age of Nobility.

I dunno if I'm allowed, or more importantly if anyone still cares about the game, but it's here for you.

Note: Numbers in [] means the elite's value.

Berbers: An anti-cavalry and monk civ

Civ Bonuses:
-Spearmen deal 35% more cavalry damage bonus (A halberd for instance with +32 vs knights would be able to do 35% more bonus damage, increased to +43 vs cavalry in this case.) and have +1/1 armor.
Historical Basis: The Berber armies included many wielders of the spear. It was an important weapon that helped to defeat many European Knights on their many fanatical campaigns.

-Camels move 15% faster.
Historical Basis: Camels were a common animal Morroco, like they were in much of the African lands. These desert beasts were one of the main ways of travel for the humid lands of Africa, and contributed to their cavalry armies on jihads against Christian Europe and the African empire of Ghana.

-Transports move 30% faster and have +3/3 armor.
Historical Basis: Many Berber campaigns of religion lead them to often travel to Europe, mainly by boat and often moving in through Spain. Many a times there'd also be need for retreat across the seas that seperated these continents.

-Fervor, Illumination, and Faith free
Historical Basis: The Berbers were known for being a fanatical bunch with strong faith who were illuminated by Islam! Their fervor lead them to start attacks on the European lands starting in the 700s and would still continue their Islamic fervor for a few centuries to follow. This represents the great enlightenment that the Muslim conquest brough to turn Berbers into fanatics.

Team Bonus: Trade Cogs move 20% faster with +2/2 armor. (no bonus for carts, cogs only!)
Historical Basis: Trade along the medtteranian was actually an art that the Berbers learned to do quite well in order to help maintain a steady economic balance.

UU: Black Guard - A powerful, yet slow pikeman with decent melee damage resistance, but no base missile armor. (and recieves extra damage from archers, Skirmishers, and Horse archers with parthian tactics.) Bonus vs. buildings, cavalry. Can practcally turn elephants inside out and can beat them one on one! The problem is, these guys train really really slow, an elephant can train much faster than them. They're able to work in trash wars, but be wary, for infantry units get double the bonus vs them that they get when fighting eagle warriors, and a champ doing +12 damage is not always fun and will quickly drain your wood.
Deals +30[+45] vs Cavalry, and +63[+92] vs elephants. Deals +16 [+22] vs cataphracts and +13 [+18] vs Elite Cataphracts. Susceptible to conversions and monks (but free faith in Imp age helps.) Basically dont engage these guys in close combat except with maybe jags, Phracts, or samurai. Any archer makes a better counter against them.

Stats: 60hp[85hp], 9 damage [14 damage], 6/0 armor [9/1].
Cost: 70g/95f. To Elite: 1100f/1050g. Movespeed: REALLY, REALLY slow. TK speed.

UT: Amazigh - When researched Amazigh grants 15% movespeed bonus to villagers and food resources are gathered 15% faster. Its a bit pricy though, and not on the food you'll be earning back either. All except for farms. It costs 1200g, and 650w. So fishing, berries, and any remaining game or sheep will all be gathered from faster, though still slower than civs with bonuses in these area. Does not speed up farming however, nor does it help fishing boats. The movespeed certainly helps.

Amazigh means 'free people' according to the Berbers.

Missing Techs:

Barracks: Eagle Warrior. The barracks is a very useful place for those spearmen you can make, meaning cavalry will never see the light of day. No Eagles, not thematic! If you want to shock your foe, strike with Champions as they help round out the force.

Archery Range: Arbalest, Elite Skirmisher, Thumb Ring. Heavy Horse archers and Hand Cannons are the buys here. Interesting to note that the Berber Horse archers are without rings on their thumbs but with shots as they retreat, whether thumb ring and Husbandry being lacked while Parthian Tactics is an otions turns you away from horse archers is for you to decide. They're better than having nothing, rest assured.

Stable: Paladin, Husbandry. Camels are the calling here. Very fast camels at that, who live to kill cavalry archers who may likely outrun your infantry cavalry slayers. Cavaliers are ok though if they are needed. Hussars are also here and FU except for Husbandry, which is missing for obvious balance to keep camels from running too fast.

Siege Workshop: Bombard Cannon, Siege Ram, Heavy Scorpion. Siege Engineers is missing so you know. Bombard Cannons are too, leaving this civ one gunpowder unit short of a full set of cannonry. Siege Onagers and Capped rams are here if needed, but they both lack Siege Engineers.

Blacksmith: None. The Berber army is well rounded with full smithing. Take advantage of this diversity.

Monastery: None. Berbers are a race of religious fanatics after all. Not to mention that Fervor, Illumination and Faith are free of charge so save your gold.

Dock: Galleon. The Berber dock is interesting with lacking only the Galleon (mostly for balance reasons.) Otherwise, Elite Cannons, Fast Fires and Heavy Demos will help control the seas. You're going to need them for your fast transports and trade boats to be effective.

University: Siege Engineers, Keep, Architecture. Berbers lack Architecture and Siege Engineers. They're not too big a deal, but Siege Engineers is ALWAYS helpful when had. Cannon Towers are your friend, remember that! Heated Shot can help you hold the shoreline if you're desperate.

Economy: Gold Shaft Mining, Two Man saw. The berber way is not to get gold by mining it! Its by getting relics with mighty monks, and using faster trade boats. Then you can use the gold backed byu Guilds to trade it for whatever you wish. Fun! Full Farms and stone working are nice.

Castle: Hoardings. Berber castles are flimsy, but the Black Guard is a lesser TK with a spear instead of a sword, and Trebs are your friends as you should already know. You should use castles for Trebs alone.

Summarize: Horses beware, the Berber army is your counter, whether its slowly encroaching doom of the UU. The extreme speed of the camel, or the well rounded yet bonused Halberdier. Unfortunately, they have not much else going for them. There's no Elite Skirms, and no Thumb Ring either for their archers. Hand Cannoneers make great support units so use them. No Husbandry has an effect on Hussar performance, although Camels are still very fast, and can run down cav archers quite nicely. No Galleon hurts a bit, though it's compensated with every other ship, faster transports, and a TB for Trade Cogs.

Well, dont get too settled down, there's several more to come. Again, if you want the original thread, I've posted it in my Age of Nobility.
Replies:
posted 08-14-07 09:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 2  
You can post this in AoK heaven...

I am still an AoK user, thogh, so here are my thoughts...
-Why do balck guard train slower than elephants? I think they should train like a TK.
-I think that the UU needs changing, if it doesnt improve farming, that late in the game only the speed will be useful. Maybe a 15% HP boost or armor...
-I like the idea of a Anti Cav civ, it my stop the infestation of Hun users, and Black Guard seem like thay could take Frankish Palys!
-Really, other than that seems pretty good. Post in AoK heaven next time though...

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. -George Patton

Bill Gates' empire's downfall shall be caused by a fruit!

If you are a Christian and not ashamed of it, copy this into your sig.
posted 08-14-07 10:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2  
Actually, I did post it there long ago. However, the board to post it in is closed, unfortunately. This seems to be the big place for generic ideas to conglomerate.
Also, I thought the Black Guard might be too strong. He's gonna sweep through many cavalry units and he can smach infantry well enough too. Ill change that thouugh.

As for the UT, faster villagers is pretty strong. Im gonna change it a fair bit though.

[This message has been edited by Usac (edited 08-14-2007 @ 10:52 PM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » AoK Civ Idea: Berbers
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames