You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Man of War: A new type of RTS!!!
posted 11-30-07 03:17 PM EDT (US)   
Here's an rather awesome idea that I just came up with.

Possible names: Man of War, Empire Commander, I Conquered (Vici), etc..

Covers, left to right, also campaigns:
ancient: Qin Shi Huang, Alexander, Boudicca
medieval: Joan of Arc, Sonni Ali, Genghis Khan
imperial: Oba Nobunaga, Francisco Pizarro, Toussaint L'Ouverture
industrial: Geronimo, Ho Chi Minh, T.E. Lawrence

Setting: First Person viewpoint. Operate in a huge, massively multiplayer world full of NPCs to recruit, train, and lead. Set in ancient times (subsequent games/expansions will have medieval, imperial, industrial eras). Realistic fighting system (think Assassin's Creed and Total War combined)

Gameplay: Gain power and influence in the government and on the battlefield. Rise from a humble soldier to the emperor of an empire of your own creation. The game is wickedly strategic:

1.Go from town to town to raise troops,
2.plan out battles,
3.ally and fight with other human and computer trying to achieve dominance,
4.lead forces yourself into battle,
5.order supplies,
6.maintain supply lines,
7.burn and raid enemy supplies,
8.plan full campaigns and watch your armies carry out your plans,
9.hire assassins to kill enemy leaders, or do it yourself on the battlefield,
10.yell orders to units you are near to,
11.recieve messages from other parts of your empire,
12.in control of an empire, fund public works projects and institute reforms to make your empire a better place-or start a reign of oppression...

I just thought this would be so awesome. It would be a leap away from the traditional skyview RTS games, but I think its time for something a little new.

Give me your thoughts...

Vae Victis,
Chris

Another year!-another deadly blow!
Another mighty Empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Replies:
posted 11-30-07 05:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
I like the concept and your ideas, but I think you should stick with one time period and have different playable factions inside that. You could even break it down to just one war so you wouldn't be dealing with so much land and so many cities. You could also make it to where you have different positions inside that faction (general, governer, ect) instead of just one leader.
posted 12-01-07 01:49 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Yes, it would have to have a limited scope. I'm just showing a possiblity for several games, each one set in a different time.

Good idea for the different positions. You could start out as a warrior, gain prestige in battle, become a lord, compete for position amongst other players in the royal court, gain the kings trust and become his heir...or assassinate him and make yourself king...

Ah, the possibilities...

-William Wordsworth

[This message has been edited by Cassador_Chris (edited 12-01-2007 @ 01:50 AM).]

posted 12-01-07 05:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
the imperialism came after the industrial revolution
but yeah i like it

"You cannnot discover inhabited land , If not i could go and 'discover' England" - Iroquois Chief
posted 12-01-07 05:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
Sjiniet,

Yes, and no. They are kinda vague terms for defining specific 'ages'.

The industrial age actually begins with the first industrial revolution in mid-18th century England (1750-ish), and lasts to the present.

Actually, historians have identified no 'imperial age', but as I see it, the imperial age pretty much encompasses the entire era that Europe owned colonies, which stretches from 1490s to about 1975, when the Portuguese empire decolonized.

Anyway, thats why I think the imperial age should get first dibs, but in reality, both 'ages' existed alongside eachother...

Sorry to go all historian, but I couldn't help it. The Imperial Age certainly does come after Industrial in Age of Empires, but at the same time, it comes before it too (Age of Kings).

LoL, confuzzling.

I'm so glad you like my idea! Thanks for commenting.

-William Wordsworth

[This message has been edited by Cassador_Chris (edited 01-09-2008 @ 05:43 PM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Man of War: A new type of RTS!!!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames