Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Empires IV: The African Kingdoms
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 06-28-09 12:56 PM EDT (US)   
UPDATE: Ethiopians have been added.
UPDATE 2: Typo concerning the Stable corrected
UPDATE 3: Ashanti added (credit goes to NotInvolved for unit ideas)

No continent has as long a human history as that of Africa, the world’s second largest continent. It was here, approximately 200,000 years ago, that modern humans first evolved. Some 130,000 years later, one party of humans migrated out of Africa to populate Eurasia, Australasia, and the Americas. This game is not about them. This game is about those who stayed behind.

Age of Empires IV: the African Kingdoms is a real-time strategy game where you control an African tribe and are tasked with developing it into a mighty kingdom. As you progress, you will have to contend with challenges such as keeping your people fed, dangerous wildlife, and enemy tribes and nations. Will you build a lasting empire, or will your civilization collapse? The choice is yours.

Economics

There are four resources to gather in AoEIV. The first and most important of these is food. Food can come from the following sources:
•Berry bushes
•Hunted wild animals
•Cattle that you can tame and herd or create at a building called a Cattle Pen
•Farming (in later ages)
Food is spent to train most units and to research most technologies. Be warned, however, as your food supply will tend to dwindle over time if you do not have enough villagers gathering food. Your food stockpile’s rate of decline is positively correlated with the number of units you have; the more units you have, the faster your food stockpile decreases. If your food stockpile completely empties, all your units will gradually lose health.

The second resource is wood. Wood is used for most buildings, ships, ladders, and battering rams. Wood is usually gathered from trees, but you can also loot wood from the rubble of destroyed buildings.

The third resource is stone, which is used for fortified buildings in the late game. Stone can be mined from rocks, but, like wood, can also be collected from rubble.

The last resource is metal. Metal is used for certain military units as well as researching some technologies. One way to obtain metal is by mining from ore-bearing rocks. Another is commerce; you can create caravans to move between your Markets and Town Centers, adding to your metal stockpile when they reach the Town Center. The amount of metal deposited at the Town Center increases with the distance between the Town Center and the Market.

Aging Up

There will be three ages:

Tribal: Earliest age in the game. Hunting, gathering, and cattle-herding are how you gather food; farming will not be invented yet.
City: Represents the growth of your tribe's village into a town or city. Farming becomes available.
Imperial: Represents the peak of your empire's power. Wonders become available this age.

Territory

Every one of your Town Centers produces a sort of aura called territory. Your buildings can only be built within your territory. Territory also affects morale, as will be explained shortly.

Morale

Your military units’ performance in battle is affected by their morale level. Units with higher morale with strike at a faster rate, hit their targets with greater accuracy (if they have a ranged attack), and move faster. When units are created, they have a moderate level of morale. Morale increases when they are in your territory, decreases slowly in “neutral” territory not controlled by any player, and decreases at a faster rate in enemy territory. To counter morale loss, you may train Generals. Generals, though they have a weak attack, produce a special aura that slows morale loss for any unit within it.

Training and Grouping Units

Units are no longer represented by single individuals. Instead, one unit may consist of multiple individuals. The number of individuals within a unit may be increased by researching certain technologies. Keep in mind, though, that larger units consume more food from your stockpile.
If players select multiple units, they may choose to group them together into a formation. Once a formation has been created, selecting any unit within it will select the entire formation. Units may be added to formations or expelled from them. Formations can also be disbanded. The concept of formations should allow you to more easily move large numbers of units.

Common Units

The following units are common to all civilizations in AoEIV:
Villager: Resource gatherer and builder. Has a weak attack against military units.
Priest: Can heal friendly units and convert enemy units.
General: A military unit with a weak attack, but produces an aura that reduces morale loss for all units within it.
Caravan: Created at the Market; moves between the Market and Town Center to generate metal.
Transport Ship: Naval unit that transports units across water.
Arrow Ship: Naval unit with a ranged attack.
Battering Ram: Siege weapon used to knock down buildings.
Ladder: Siege device that allows infantry to ascend and descend walls.

Buildings

Town Center: Generates territory and trains Villagers. Can also be garrisoned; it can attack when garrisoned.
House: Increases your population cap.
Cattle Pen: Can be used to train cattle to kill for food.
Farm: Harvest the crops here for food.
Barracks: Trains infantry and archers.
Stable: Trains cavalry. Not available for the Bantu civilization.
Dock: Trains boats.
Temple: Produces Priests. Certain technologies can also be researched here.
Blacksmith: Center for technological research pertaining to military units. Military units also have an increased attack when near a Blacksmith.
University: Center of technological research.
Market: Trains caravans. Resources can also be bought and sold for metal here.
Fortress: Expensive military structure that can fire arrows. Also can be garrisoned.
Walls: Defensive structure which can be mounted by archers.
Tower: Defensive structure that fires arrows
Wonder: An expensive building built in the late game. Once a Wonder has been completed, a timer is started. If the Wonder is still standing when the timer runs out, you win the game.

Playable Civilizations

There are five playable civilizations in AoEIV: the Egyptians, the Ethiopians, the Mande, the Bantu, and the Ashanti.

The Egyptians

The Egyptians are the most famous African civilization, perhaps because they had the most influence on the Western world.

In AoEIV, Egyptians have the following bonuses:
•Technological research is cheaper
•Ships and buildings have more hitpoints
•Farms are accessible at an earlier age

However, they suffer the following disadvantages:
•Units have a weaker attack
•Buildings and ships are constructed more slowly

The Egyptians can train the following military units:
Nile Spearman: Infantry. Good against cavalry.
Khepesh Swordsman: Infantry. Good against other infantry.
Medjay Archer: Archer. Good against infantry.
Chariot Spearman: Cavalry. Good against archers.
Chariot Archer: Archer. Good against archers and infantry.

The Egyptian Wonder is the Great Pyramid.

The Ethiopians

Ethiopia used to be a kingdom located in northeastern Africa that has historically received a lot of influence from southern Arabia.

In AoEIV, the Ethiopians have the following bonuses:
•Resources sold at the Market are cheaper
•Cavalry have more hitpoints
•Finally, they can train war elephants (Islamic tradition holds that an Ethiopian king once tried to destroy the Kaaba with elephants)

Their drawbacks are:
•Food is consumed at a faster rate
•The elephants are very expensive

The Ethiopians can train the following military units:
Quiyanw Spearman: Infantry. Good against cavalry.
Saif Swordsman: Infantry. Good against other infantry.
Qest Archer: Archer. Good against infantry.
Mailed Horseman: Cavalry. Good against archers.
War Elephant: Cavalry. Good against buildings.

The Ethiopian Wonder is the Obelisk of Axum.

The Mande

The Mande live along the Niger River in western Africa. They are the people responsible for the Kingdom of Mali, which was famous for the gold it exported.

The Mande have the following bonuses:
•Caravans deposit more metal
•Cavalry have a stronger attack
•Archers are cheaper

The weaknesses of the Mande are:
•Cavalry and archers are more expensive
•Stone-mining rates are slower

The Mande military units are:
Niger Spearman: Infantry. Good against cavalry.
Soninke Archer: Archer. Good against infantry.
Tamba Skirmisher: Archer. Good against other archers.
Ton-Tigi: Mounted archer. Good against archers and infantry.
Mandekalu: Cavalry. Good against archers.

The Mande Wonder is the Sankore Mosque.

The Bantu

The speakers of the Bantu languages (a linguistic group to which Zulu and Swahili belong) have their origins in western Africa, but between 1500 and 1000 BC they migrated to parts of southern and eastern Africa, bringing their iron technology along with them.

The Bantu in AoEIV experience the following bonuses:
•Infantry have a stronger attack
•Buildings are cheaper and constructed more quickly
•Morale loss is slower

However, the Bantu also suffer these weaknesses:
•Technological research is more expensive
•No cavalry

The Bantu can train the following military units:
Iklwa Spearman: Infantry. Good against cavalry.
Knobkerrie Clubman: Infantry. Good against other infantry.
Assegai Javelineer: Archer. Good against other archers.

The Bantu Wonder is the Great Zimbabwe Enclosure.

The Ashanti

The Ashanti Empire was an empire in the jungles of West Africa that existed between 1701 and 1896. Unlike the other African civilizations here, their military used firearms quite extensively.

The Ashanti in AoEIV experience the following bonuses:
•Ranged military units have stronger attack
•Faster food-gathering rates
•More individual soldiers per military unit

However, the Ashanti also suffer these weaknesses:
•Firearms are inaccurate
•No cavalry

The Ashanti can train the following military units:
Twafo Spearman: Infantry. Good against cavalry.
Akwansrafo Scout: Gunpowder unit. Good against archers.
Adonten Musketeer: Gunpowder unit. Good against infantry and cavalry.
Sika'dwa Bowman: Archer. Good against buildings.

The Ashanti Wonder is the Kumasi Circle.

Non-Playable Tribes

These are like the Native tribes in AoEIII. They are not playable, but can be allied with to train units that do not consume food or fill in your population cap. The non-playable tribes in AoEIV are:

Maasai: Train the Morani, which is a fleet-footed archer good against both other archers and cavalry.
Boers: Train the Musketeer, an inaccurate but powerful “archer” which is good against all unit classes.
Tuareg: Train the Camel Rider, cavalry which is good against other cavalry.
Nubians: Train the Nubian Horseman, extremely fast cavalry good against archers.
Pygmies: Train the Jungle Hunter, an archer who can climb trees and shoot arrows from them.
Khoisan: Train the Desert Hunter, infantry with an exceptional line of sight and has both a ranged and melee attack.

Random Maps

Desert: Lots of stone and metal, but little food or wood. Like Arabia in AoEII. Natives include Khoisan and Tuareg.
Nile Valley: A river crossing a desert. Food and wood are concentrated near the river while stone and metal are found further out in the desert. Natives include Nubians and Tuareg.
Niger Valley: A river crossing a savanna. Similar to Nile Valley, but with more food and metal. Natives include Pygmies and Tuareg.
Savanna: Lots of food in the form of game, but other resources are sparser. Natives include Maasai and Boers.
Congo: Lots of wood and food, but little stone or metal. Natives include Pygmies and Maasai.
Ethiopia: Mountainous region with abundant resources. Natives include Nubians and Maasai.
Scrubland: Similar to savanna, but with more wood. Natives include Khoisan and Boers.

Suggestions appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Kahotep (edited 08-12-2009 @ 10:30 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-28-09 04:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31  
I'll just say that you ought to include something about the Aksumite Empire (Eritrea/Ethiopia region), other than that, good work.
posted 06-28-09 07:53 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
posted 06-29-09 03:38 AM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
Very nice. I really appreaciate it when someone tries to think "out of the box" like that. Breaking traditions.
Good job!
posted 06-29-09 06:00 AM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
this is great but i noticed that you can train archers out of the stable? is this a mistake?

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
posted 06-29-09 08:07 AM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
Just corrected it.
Very nice. I really appreaciate it when someone tries to think "out of the box" like that. Breaking traditions.
Good job!
Actually there have been a number of outlines submitted here for games with an African setting, though mine is perhaps the first to focus on African instead of European powers.

[This message has been edited by Kahotep (edited 06-29-2009 @ 01:03 PM).]

posted 06-29-09 02:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
Excellent idea and very well thought out. You have definitely picked the best four civilizations possible, but I think you could do with a few more (Ashanti or Yoruba, for example).
posted 06-29-09 05:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
Excellent idea and very well thought out. You have definitely picked the best four civilizations possible, but I think you could do with a few more (Ashanti or Yoruba, for example).
I would like to add the Ashanti as a playable civilization, but the problem is, what would their Wonder be? As far as I can tell, they didn't build monumental architecture the way the Egyptians, Ethiopians, Mande, and Shona Bantu did. They might work as a non-playable tribe though.

BTW, I'm considering adding European nations to the game. That way we could simulate the conflict between native Africans and European invaders.

[This message has been edited by Kahotep (edited 06-29-2009 @ 05:23 PM).]

posted 06-29-09 06:26 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
what about the congo? im not very informed about african tribes but i know in south western africa there are forest tribes.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
posted 07-01-09 01:29 AM EDT (US)     9 / 31  
^ A lot of those are Bantu, therefore they would be covered by my Bantu civilization.
posted 07-01-09 07:49 AM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
ok
^whoops illegal 1 word post.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
posted 07-01-09 10:25 AM EDT (US)     11 / 31  
is this a mod or a new game?

[This message has been edited by IamDrunk (edited 07-01-2009 @ 10:25 AM).]

posted 07-01-09 12:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31  
It's a proposal for a new game. Though if someone wants to make a mod, I'll be very happy.
posted 07-06-09 12:58 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31  
I would like to add the Ashanti as a playable civilization, but the problem is, what would their Wonder be? As far as I can tell, they didn't build monumental architecture the way the Egyptians, Ethiopians, Mande, and Shona Bantu did. They might work as a non-playable tribe though.
Granted, the Ashanti didn't build many monuments, but their ordinary architecture was grander than the Bantu's. Obviously the Golden Stool is important enough to be a wonder, but it's not a building and it's tiny.

The King's Palace and the Kumasi Circle are the only buildings I remember from Kumasi which could be wonders, but they are both too modern. The old palace was destroyed in the 1870's, and I haven't been able to find any pictures of it.

I certainly think the Ashanti are too important to be just a tribe, though.
BTW, I'm considering adding European nations to the game. That way we could simulate the conflict between native Africans and European invaders.
The only problem with that is that only the Bantu (and the Ashanti if you add them) properly fought the Europeans. The Ethiopians stayed independent, and the Malians and Egyptians had both finished by that time.

Also, the idea of an African-only game is great by itself. The Europeans would probably make it too similar to AoE3.
posted 07-06-09 05:11 PM EDT (US)     14 / 31  
yeh. europeans had their turn.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
posted 07-14-09 06:03 PM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
Kahotep, please join WotTA's forum. After finishing our latin american mod, we'll start working african civilizations and i like your ideas. There's even some progress already being made.

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 07-17-09 06:41 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31  
Also, the idea of an African-only game is great by itself. The Europeans would probably make it too similar to AoE3.
You have a good point, an African-themed game with Europeans in it would probably be better suited as an AoE3 Z-pack than a full-blown vanilla game.
Kahotep, please join WotTA's forum. After finishing our latin american mod, we'll start working african civilizations and i like your ideas. There's even some progress already being made
I will consider joining.
posted 08-05-09 08:09 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31  
Sorry for the double post, but I had to top this old thread.

I've thought about including the Ashanti, but my concern is that they were a firearms-based empire at their peak. Wouldn't that make them kinda overpowered?
posted 08-06-09 03:11 AM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
Nah, if ya balance them

(Due to technical problems this post cannot go on, so instead we'll show you some lame Russian movie instead.)
WotTA website: http://lordtahattus.110mb.com/
Ne Website: http://ne.elpea.net/forum/portal.php
posted 08-07-09 08:04 AM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
well just look at the samurai archers on The Last Samurai, they were better than the musketeers.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
posted 08-08-09 08:12 AM EDT (US)     20 / 31  
Unquestionably accurate historical rendition, no doubt.
posted 08-09-09 05:41 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31  
same as the welsh longbowmen in Agincourt. It usually comes to speed of fire.
Tris, I am going to Israel in 2 days. Is AoE3 popular in Israel?

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
posted 08-09-09 06:15 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31  
The movie is horribly inaccurate in most aspects, including the fact that both sides used rifles (the Imperial Forces the Snider-Enfield, the the Satsumans the Pattern 1853 Enfield, giving the imperials a Rate-of-fire advantage of 2-3).

On the subject of balance, what year (approximately) does it finish, because longbows were used as late as 1642.
posted 08-10-09 08:22 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31  
Well, Lobster, I play, and some of my friends play, and a few classmates. Maybe it's only popular around here, I don't know. Where are you going to stay in Israel?
posted 08-10-09 12:18 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31  

I'm sure there will be a few players in the area.
Whats your ESO? same as username on the forum?

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON

[This message has been edited by ImperialLobster (edited 09-21-2009 @ 01:06 PM).]

posted 08-11-09 09:49 AM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
Yup. I bought the TAD expansion a few days ago. Unfortunatly I will not start playing online until the end of august, as I am going with my family on a trip to italy.
After I return, it would be a pleasure to play with you.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Age of Empires IV: The African Kingdoms
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames