General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: More Church upgrades?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
posted 12-16-05 08:03 PM EDT (US)   
I recently had an idea for more church upgrades. Here they are. Let me know what you think. Personnally, I didn't think the civs were defined enough, so I put this together.

Britain: The Tudor Reforms

Death before Dishonor: 1500 F and 1500 C (Age III)
If British infantry's Health drops below 40%, infantry get a +15% damage bonus.

The Industrial Revolution: No Cost (Age IV)
Factories Gain +10% Resource/Cannon production, but all settler food and wood gather rates decrease by 10%.

Imperial Navy: 1000 F and 1000 W (Age IV)
All British ships gain +25% HP, +15% Damage, and +1 to all build limits.

France: The French Revolution

The reign of Terror: No Cost (Age III)
French Coureurs gain +6 Damage, but lose -5% Speed.

The treaty of Tilsit: 1000 Food, Wood, and Coin. (Age IV)
Unit tributes from: Germany, Russia, and Spain. Delivers: 10 Czapka Uhlan, 10 Guard Cossacks, and 10 Garrochista Lancers.

The West indies Spice trade: 2000W (Age II)
French Ships gather resources from fish and whales faster. +25%. Also, fishing boats lose 25% HP, and gain a +50% wood cost.

Germany: The confederation of the Rhine

The Ninety-five Thesis: No cost (Age II)
All church upgrades (Excluding the other unique ones) are 50% cheaper, but all workers gather -5% resources.

The Prussian Military: 2000F (Age IV)
Ships 25 Guard Musketeers from Prussia (No name as of yet)

Mercenary Support: 2500C (Age III)
All Mercenaries gain +25% HP and Damage.

Russia: The Oprichnina

Cossack Loyalty: 1000F and 1000C (Age II)
Cossacks gain +15% health and Attack.

The Tsar's orders: 900C
Shipment of 9 Tsar's bodyguard. (Guard Oprichinik special) all settlers -5% HP.

Portugal: Order of Aviz Perseverance

Tiradores: 2000F (Age III)
Shipment of 21 Tiradores (Musketeer-like Cassadors). Meaning with the musketeer HP and attack, but with skirm bonuses.

Colonizadores: 350C 350W (Age II)
Shipment of settlers for every 2 minutes the game has lasted.

Dutch: The house of Orange-Nassau

British Allies: 1000F 1000C (Age IV)
Shipment of 20 British Redcoats, and 10 King's life guard hussars.

Wealthy Farmers: 500F 350W (Age III)
Farm gather rate +25%, -15% gather for bushes and animals.

The Handover of New Amsterdam: 450F 800C (Age IV)
Banks recieve +20% gather rate. All other buildings cost +50% wood.

Spain: La Conquista

Conquistadors: No cost (Age III)
All Spanish archaic infantry gain +20% HP/Damage. All other Military units -10% HP/Damage.

New World Treasures: 300F 300W
1 small shipment of gold for every 2 minutes of gameplay.

Cortez' Expedition: 1500C (Age IV)
Ships 2 additional explorers to the new world, improves explorer HP/Damage by 100% and adds +3.00 to dog limit.

Ottoman: The Kanuni Reforms

Secrets in Diwani: No cost (Age II)
Decorative Ottoman Calligraphy makes forts and outposts stronger.
Fort: +6 Range and LOS, +50% attack, -25% attack timer, -35% HP.
Outpost: +4 Range and LOS, +50% attack, -25% attack timer, -35% HP.

Religious Tolerance: 1000F 1000W (Age IV)
Removes settler build limit, also allows player to halt settler production.

Haseki'i: 1000C (Age IV)
Ships 15 Ottoman Sargeant-at-arms, (like Swiss Pikemen)

Akinci Training: 800F (Age III)
Allows cavalry archers to enable Skirmish mode. Meaning they shoot and try to stay a safe distance after firing.

Universal techs: (For all civs)

Pilgrimmage: 500F
Increases Gather rate for Food and Wood by 10%, and +5% for every additional town center.

Battlefield Medicine: 500F 250C
All Priests, Missionaries, Imams, Surgeons, and explorers heal better. +25% Effect and -25% Recharge time.

Sharpshooters Division: 750C
Heavy Ranged Infantry +2 Range and LOS, Light Ranged Infanry +3 Range and LOS.

Other ideas: (not decided to put them in or not)

Ivan's reign: (Russia) 250F 250W
All HC shipments earned faster.

Cryptic messages: (Portugal) 250W 350C
Increased priest area effect. +50%

French Allies: (Dutch) 500F 500C
Shipment of 1 CdB for every 3 minutes of gameplay.

Greek Fire (Age IV, 1000 wood, Ottoman)
Ships 3 fire ships.

Native Farming Methods(Age II, free, British)
All mills/mill techs cost +50% but mills gather 10% faster.
Drops to 5% faster once Industrial is reached.

Asian Spice Trade (Age III, free, Portugal)
Market cost for buying food decreased, but cost of buying wood increased.

Profitable Colonies (Age III, free, Dutch)
Building -30% HP, Settlers -20% HP, all gather rates +15%.

That's all I have for now. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I would be happy to hear them. (Suggestions mostly please)

EDIT: I have reduced the cost of the "Treaty of Tilsit" from 1500, to 1000. I also reduced the cost of the spice trade, 3000 - 2000

EDIT: Doubled "Religious Tolerance" tech cost. Now 1000F 1000W

EDIT: Thanks to EmperorPatrick for German Improvements in their techs.

EDIT: Thanks to Ramaan for penalties for the French.

EDIT: Thanks to Just A Player for modifying the revolution tech, Spanish techs and the Colonizadores tech.

EDIT: Thanks to Mongol Horse Man for the British allies tech for the Dutch.

EDIT: Thanks to Simontyler9 for the Russian ideas, and two Dutch techs.

EDIT: Thanks to King Cruz for the Pilgrimmage tech.

EDIT: Thanks to Throndie for balancing the Industrial Revolution tech.

EDIT: Thanks to Cy Marlayne for balancing the Reign of terror tech, and creating the names for the church shipment names.

EDIT: Thanks to Shala_lol for Ottoman techs.

EDIT: Thanks to Flying_Red_Hippo for the sharpshooters tech.

EDIT: Thanks to Akin for the Akinci tech.

EDIT: Thanks to Scipio_Africanus for the Amsterdam Tech.

EDIT: Thanks to Zeeky_Bomb For The Greek fire, Native Farming, Profitable Colonies, and the Asian Spice trade techs.

Scotty the Fallen | One-time Angel Reincarnate, and Former BFME2H and TWH Downloads administrator, and BFME2 Strategy Administrator.
"And I shall go softly into the night, taking my dreams, as will you." - EoJ
"Scotty's probably the only forumer here who can make every post a defiant claim of his own superiority." - Atzy

[This message has been edited by SuicidalScotsman (edited 02-15-2006 @ 03:39 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-19-05 05:42 PM EDT (US)     51 / 96  
For those who have read this post, I would like you to rate all the techs I have posted on my thread for a mark out of 10. Including the ones I have not added yet. If you happen to give a tech a mark lower than 6, please list your ideas for changing it.

Scotty the Fallen | One-time Angel Reincarnate, and Former BFME2H and TWH Downloads administrator, and BFME2 Strategy Administrator.
"Scotty's probably the only forumer here who can make every post a defiant claim of his own superiority." - Atzy
posted 12-19-05 11:17 PM EDT (US)     52 / 96  
I think Reign of Terror should be changed to the following:

Reign of Terror: No Cost (Age III)
French Coureurs gain +6 Damage, but -5% speed.

Since you must sacrifice one of their attributes to improve their defense against raids, I would make it affect their speed. That way, while you're giving them a defense bonus, you're also taking away a defense bonus. If Coureurs try to flee, they will die faster, but if they stay and fight, they might be able to stop an attack.

The only reason I mention this is because they shouldn't suffer directly economically just because they're getting a boost of attack. The sacrifice of speed will still, of course, hurt the economy a little bit, but not as bad as -5% gathering rates or +2 training time.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Welcome to Life, your vacation from nothing.

[This message has been edited by Cy Marlayne (edited 12-19-2005 @ 11:17 PM).]

posted 12-20-05 01:06 AM EDT (US)     53 / 96  
One more idea:

(Ottoman)
Train Station Sercurity
Once a Trade Route has advanced to 'Railway' each Trading Post that you own can quickly train 'Train Station Sercurity' (Crossbowman with the attributes of a Strelet)

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
posted 12-20-05 02:33 AM EDT (US)     54 / 96  
Some for All

95 Thesis: (3500F,3500C LvL 4)

Kills any military units that may be alive but makes all the villager
into units with 21 attack and 250 hp (yes based on ragnorak in AoM). BTW you can still train more military but they are weaker. (I think this idea would be lame but all the same funny to watch.'

Greek Fire: Improves all ranged unit attack by 3. I don;t know how much this should cost.

Marksmenship (Increases range of all heavy infantry by 2 and skirmishers by 1)

Anarchy: Gives you a group of like 20 outlaw riflemen (those are like uber troobs with 270 hp and 40 attack along with 18 range) and 10 outlaw riders.

Achemely (increases gold production by like 50% but makes everything else a bit slower)

Woven Cotton- Increases infantry hp at the cost of 1 attack.

Lost City of some old medival city- gives you like 3 siege onagers from AoE2 and like 10 champ swordsmen (that would be lik uber rolders)

Grape Shot- All cannon get a .2% attack bonus agains infantry.

Spanish Smiths- Increases attack of rolderos

Corporal Punishment- makes all villagers gather faster but signifiantly weakens them.

I don't know what these should cost or what age and I think most of these are leaning toward stupid but its fun to speculate. I think that you need more use or archers.

posted 12-20-05 03:50 AM EDT (US)     55 / 96  
I'm starting to find the "Train station security" tech to be quite humorous.

posted 12-20-05 06:28 AM EDT (US)     56 / 96  
I really loved how you get the historical names and such correct for ottomans. I suggest a "akinci" force which are elite spahi and get the forward-fast attack and then run. They could really do hit and run attack (cav archers with a sword) and the computer can have them hit and run when you order them to attack a unit. This could be much like candabian circle of roman times. The ottoman can send these soldiers to harrass and then just leave them and they will micromanage themselves by hitting and running, which is historically correct.
Here are some more names u can use:

The Kapıkulu
This regular army was commanded and paid by some important fief-holders who gained power and became a sort of noble class. The mercenaries became a tool for their rise to predominance over the sultan, who simply could not afford to hire so many mercenaries that they would outnumber his nobles'. Therefore, in the middle of the 14th century, Murad I built his own personal slave army called the kapıkulu. The new force was based on the sultan's right to a fifth of the war booty, which he interpreted to include captives taken in battle. The captive slaves were converted to Islam and trained in the sultan's personal service. The most famous branch of the kapikulu was the Janissary corps who were recruited among young christian boys by the devshirmeh tax, but there were also several other troops types such as the Halberdier corps (Baltaçi). Their numbers increased rapidly and this force became the most important element of the Ottoman army. In order to man the force, Murad II developed the devşirme system of recruiting youths in form of taxes from Christians in the empire. Murad used the strength of the Janissaries and played them off against the nobility, forcing them to pay taxes or land so that the treasury could obtain the money it needed to maintain the kapikulu army.

Keep on the sunny side of life
ESO:Akin
posted 12-20-05 04:17 PM EDT (US)     57 / 96  
I like it!

I'll be putting that one in.

posted 12-20-05 04:37 PM EDT (US)     58 / 96  

Quote:

It's meant to be.

I couldn't think of a seriuous one:P

My Heroes:
Kirk Hammet
Andrew Stockdale
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
posted 12-20-05 04:42 PM EDT (US)     59 / 96  

Quote:

Quote:

It's meant to be.

I couldn't think of a seriuous one:P

You've done alot for this thread simon. I congratulate you on your creativity.

posted 12-20-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     60 / 96  
Dutch seems a bit lacking.

how about this:

Handover of New Amsterdam: Banks recieve a bonus in gather rate in exchange for lower pop limit/more expensive houses.

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
posted 12-20-05 07:53 PM EDT (US)     61 / 96  

Quote:

Dutch seems a bit lacking.
how about this:

Handover of New Amsterdam: Banks recieve a bonus in gather rate in exchange for lower pop limit/more expensive houses.

They aren't necessarily lacking, its just I haven't decided to put any of the suggested ones yet. (Except for yours)

posted 12-20-05 10:40 PM EDT (US)     62 / 96  
Here are some suggestions for card names.

Quote:

Spain: (No name yet)

Spain: La Conquista

Quote:

Russia: (No Definitive name yet)

Russia: The Oprichnina

Quote:

Portugal: (No name yet)

Portugal: Order of Aviz Perseverance

Quote:

Dutch: (No name yet)

Dutch: House of Orange-Nassau

Quote:

Ottoman: (No name yet)

Ottomans: The Kanuni Reforms

[This message has been edited by Cy Marlayne (edited 12-20-2005 @ 11:14 PM).]

posted 12-21-05 04:13 AM EDT (US)     63 / 96  
THERE WAS SOMETHING HERE BUT IT WAS WRONG. Scotsman was right.

[This message has been edited by flying_red_hippo (edited 12-22-2005 @ 01:10 AM).]

posted 12-21-05 06:11 AM EDT (US)     64 / 96  
I love it that you included Akinci forces in your church upgrades and I do hoep ES does that too. You see, thats my real name and ES name also. Well, not akinci but akin, which is the verb the word akinci is derived from, meaning rushing enemy So, here some more info on Akinci forces:
Elite Cavalry
An important part of the Ottoman warfare was also the Six Divisions of Cavalry (Altı Bölük), a mounted élite force. The most important of these divisions was the Spahis. A force of professional raiders called akıncıs pillaged enemy territory ahead of the regular army. They also served as scouts.
They would basically hit the enemy with arrows. When attacked in melee, they would retreat while still shooting backwards. They could easily outrun heavy cavalry because they were lightly armored and their horses were bred for speed as opposed to strength. Akinci forces carried swords also, so that in a field war, they could face the enemy first and fight melee. Malkoc was leader of the Akinci forces. (I wrote this last part to wikipedia)

Keep on the sunny side of life
ESO:Akin

[This message has been edited by akin (edited 12-21-2005 @ 06:20 AM).]

posted 12-21-05 06:15 PM EDT (US)     65 / 96  

Quote:

that thing (pilgramige) that makes the tc cost 5% more but also makes better gather rates is a bit underpriced. Who honestly builds masses of tc's anyway?

If you have EVER played a Portugese player or an Ottoman player, you would know that they take ALOT of advantage of having multiple towncenters. Also, the 5% is increased to GATHER rate, not towncenter cost.

Quote:

By the third age you should have an econmmy to support yourself anyway and if you don't a little better gather rate won't help. The british muskateers don't really need a bonus a fully upgraded (with the right cards) imperial muskateer has 56 attack and 102 attack against cavalry. If you make it better (the have like 350 hp) people will call them OP. Wouldn't the industraial revolution make mills better?

YES a little gather rate will help! By Fortress age, that is WHERE you need the resources! In age 3, everything gets set into action and you need a good military and enough resources to advance! Also, we discussed the Industrial revolution tech, it improved FACTORIES by MODERNIZATION (relatively speaking) and more PRIMITIVE methods, like FARMING, were used less. Thirdly, The British Redcoats only get 56 attack and 112 Attack VS Cav, along with 390 HP if you send the 3 Musketeer Combat shipments from your HC. That is alot of HC shipments considering you can have only 20 different cards per deck. The British Redcoats were the best Infantry in Europe in terms of discipline, Training, and combat morale. (It was very seldom the Redcoats were forced to rout) As such, the british soldiers were trained to die fighting rather than face the shame of being regarded as a coward. (Much like the samurai code in medieval Japan)

Quote:

If I had the imperial havy I would owneverybody, it is way to strong and cheap. Its like the cost of 2 monitors yet it makes them undefeatable.

For a good Portion of Napoleonic Europe, the British were the MOST DOMINANT NAVAL FORCE. That is WHY IT IS AND AGE 4 TECH.

Quote:

I think that the wealthy farms is way to cheap. By the stage in the game where you need that card you will have such a great econ.

Yeesh, don't you read the caption??? It says " I have not decided to put them in or not"! It's open for debate! If you're not happy, suggest a change in its cost or effect! Or stop tearing down my ideas and those of others!

Quote:

Look at the historical backgorund of the 95 thesis they really should INCREASE villager power and DECREASE imperial power so something like making your military a bit weaker but make your villagers like CdB kinda.

Why don't YOU look into it? but since you're on a roll here in my thread, let me tell you
The Ninety-five thesis was posted by a German monk named Martin luther on October 31st, 1517, protesting the corruption and reckless indulgences of the catholic church. When the Pope published a proclamation not to listen to his banter, Luther Burned a Copy of the Proclamation in front of the catholic church in Wittenberg, Germany. Luther also knowingly went and disobeyed the "Sterile" code by marrying a former nun and having 6 children and adopting 11 more. The result of Luthers' acts ended in much of Germany converting to the religion known as "Lutherism", where everyone wears black, and follows a very strict code (Much like the catholic one) but has no pope to answer to. Other variants of Lutherism are known as the "Menanites" the "Amish" or the "Protestants". In turn, the Ninety-five thesis WEAKENED the power of the catholic church, in turn, lowering the cost of the church techs.

BLAH!

Quote:

British allies seems kinda useless, it feels mroe like one of those military cards except for late game use. Also think, that many units would cost more. Have you realized how expensive mercanaries are in this game? They average 100 resources per unit so the BRITISH ALLIES seems kinda both cheap and weak. Consider a card sending legendary lakota dog soldiers, the ones with 1100 hp and 63 attack in some card because they are hard to get. It seems some of these are underpriced. The church stuff is desgined to be expensive because they are very powerful, some of these. Would you take 15 swiss pikemen for only 1000 food. You couldn't even get 15 muskateers because muskateers cost in total 100 (75f/25g).

Yes I know how expensive mercenaries are! Plus, the Ottoman Swiss pikeman tech is a DISCOUNT, that's what it's there for! the Ottomans only get 1 type of Infantry, plus any mercenaries, why not give them some variety? These shipments of units are supposed to be some lower-than-real-cost units. Why would british allies be weak? getting unique guard units is a good advantage, considering the dutch don't get either. As for the Lakota dog soldiers, which civ could get them? Giving one civ that bonus would be VASTLY unfair! 1000 Food for 15 mercenaries, WOW! what a deal! 15 mercs instead of paying MORE for musketeers for a Civ that doesn't even get them! Throughout this thread, I have been toning down all the bonuses because many have said they were OP. NOW YOU come and tell me they aren't powerful enough? Have you even read these posts by the visitors here? be more informed next time you want to spam a POORLY PUNCTATED thread here!

MORE BLAH!

[This message has been edited by SuicidalScotsman (edited 12-22-2005 @ 02:46 AM).]

posted 12-22-05 01:09 AM EDT (US)     66 / 96  
True, true you were right and I was wrong. Sorry about that :-)
posted 12-22-05 02:37 AM EDT (US)     67 / 96  
No worries Red_Hippo. You and I just had to clear some things out.

BLAH YET AGAIN!

[This message has been edited by SuicidalScotsman (edited 12-22-2005 @ 02:41 AM).]

posted 12-22-05 04:19 AM EDT (US)     68 / 96  
Turning away from the approching wall of BLAH... flying_red_hippo accidentally slips over cliff. Oh well (much to Scotsman secret delightl...then suddenly he flies out into the air, panting as Sucidal Scotsman mounts the BLAH BIRDS but to no avail. (BOOM)...All the locals run out and enjoy good hippo meat for dinner. I consider my tenure as contributer to this thread OVER :-). Nice ideas Scotsman. (I really mean it...or do I?...one day you'll now as a beggar approches you on the street asking if you ever did make a mod pack) Have fun.
posted 12-22-05 04:55 AM EDT (US)     69 / 96  
Russian tech:
Russian workers, an age II tech, 300f 250c (Fluff is that russians had a much easier time in Amerika compared to the motherland) Improves gathering for food rate and wood chopping rate by 10%

ESO name: Darth_Alec

Back from many months of slumber.
posted 12-22-05 04:56 AM EDT (US)     70 / 96  

Quote:

The reign of Terror: No Cost (Age III)
French Coureurs gain +6 Damage, but lose -5% Speed.

^I think that is a bit OP

EDIT: How about a new Capitol tech?

Alliance - Sends any further shipments to all of your allies. If you are playing 1v1, you get double shipments.

It would need a really hefty price. Maybe like Spy/Blockade, where the cost differs per enemy unit?

★★★★★

[This message has been edited by Shala_LoL (edited 12-22-2005 @ 04:58 AM).]

posted 12-22-05 09:15 AM EDT (US)     71 / 96  

Quote:

^I think that is a bit OP

I disagree.

That +6 attack regards ranged attack. The -5% speed can slow the French economy if you're still trying to grab gold mines or huntables at Age III.

Since most people raid with cavalry, you have to remember that cavalry have ranged resistance, and they'll start receiving their upgrades in Fortress, which means that even that +6 attack won't save the Coureurs from dying. Sure, they might be able to kill one or two more raiding cavalry, but the French will potentially lose more Coureurs since they have the -5% speed.

[This message has been edited by Cy Marlayne (edited 12-22-2005 @ 09:16 AM).]

posted 12-22-05 03:31 PM EDT (US)     72 / 96  
Funny I post here to display some new techs.

Infantry Drills: 1000F 1000C (British)
British drills increase infantry attack speed. decreases attack timer -25%.

The reason for this is the British Infantry boasted the ability to fire up to 5 shots per minute. Whereas Napoleons' troops could only do 3-4 at best.

posted 12-22-05 03:53 PM EDT (US)     73 / 96  
Gunpowder infantry you mean?
posted 12-22-05 04:12 PM EDT (US)     74 / 96  

Quote:

Gunpowder infantry you mean?

Yes. Sorry, forgot to put that in

posted 01-12-06 11:52 PM EDT (US)     75 / 96  

Quote:

Funny I post here to display some new techs.

Infantry Drills: 1000F 1000C (British)
British drills increase infantry attack speed. decreases attack timer -25%.

The reason for this is the British Infantry boasted the ability to fire up to 5 shots per minute. Whereas Napoleons' troops could only do 3-4 at best.

You know you're tired when the 1st thing that occurs to you after reading the phrase 'Infantry Drills' is a battalion of redcoats working construction, tearing up the streets with jackhammers and pneumatic drills...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » More Church upgrades?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames