Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sad News about ELORATING.COM
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-26-09 05:45 PM EDT (US)   
Just found this at Age Sanctuary by one of the managers of elorating.com
Hello there.

Unfortunately I have some bad news for you... elorating will stop operation in the next month or so. The costs are much higher than the income through adsense. The last months its getting even worser.

To make some facts: elorating.com eats up about 130 EUR per month. In contrast, the advertising earning has fallen to about 50 USD (about 35 EUR) per month since early last year. Neither plexiq nor me is playing age of empires any more, so we don't see any future for this project. Its not that we expect to get money out of it... but we are not willing to pay such a high bill for something we are not really interested in any more. Sorry.

If someone would like to take over the project or any other project needs our data just drop me a note. But be warned, the dataset is HUGE and you need some knowledge in enterprise java and postgres to get the project deployed.

elorating will not be closed immediately (it even takes effort to remove the application from the servers... and I don't have that much time right now). You may expect it to be up and running about one or two more months.

Thanks to everyone who made elorating.com that successfull. It was a pleasure to work on the project and we had a great time with you guys!!
Thanks to everyone who helped out, and special thanks to Maik "Mick" Herbort who developed our html design!

Piero (aka fast_tam)
Thread here
Replies:
posted 04-27-09 12:34 PM EDT (US)     26 / 43  
Honestly: why do you need such a site? As form of ego-boost?
My advice: try to get your RL in order
posted 04-27-09 12:59 PM EDT (US)     27 / 43  
^it's nice to know how well you are doing (pr just doesn't cut it )

QUACK
posted 04-27-09 03:07 PM EDT (US)     28 / 43  
Bilbo, if you have that opinion of such things you need not waste your time in this thread.

I'm certainly proud of where I stand. Not to mention it is based off of the chess ranking scheme in order to better compare players in tournaments and matches.

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 04-27-09 05:41 PM EDT (US)     29 / 43  
I've almost always used elo while playing. More than just knowing my elo, it's useful for keeping track of clan stats and having a fast link to all of my recent games without having to go through the inferior Agecommunity links.

Small update on the status:
[From (_V_V_) LordIrish] "I'd be interested in knowing, if the guys who run Elorating were to receive the cash they need, would they continue running the service?"

Yes.. we would continue the service in this case. In fact we are talking about some _possibilities_ how we could reduce the load and manage to get the system running on less hardware right now. However, this would require to rewrite the web interface and a lot of code cleanup.

This is motivated because of some people who donated after my announcement. If there is enough backing in the community and enough people who are willing to donate on a regular basis, this would help a lot motivating us to continue the server (and maybe even develop further ;-) ).

See, the problem right now is our motivation. If s.th you have to pay for is generating additional work, you begin to think about your options.
Link
posted 04-27-09 05:56 PM EDT (US)     30 / 43  
Whew, that's great to hear. Or read, whatever.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
posted 05-03-09 03:44 PM EDT (US)     31 / 43  
This is not good! ELOrating.com is more than "where do I stand". If and whenever you're in a game, and someone drops, you can goto ELOrating.com to check who actually won the game, and see everyone's stats. It allows you to know when someone drops tricks. When you get the victory screen (especially in team games) it doesn't mean you've won the game...and many people will take it for granted.
posted 05-03-09 09:06 PM EDT (US)     32 / 43  
i'd contribute.......... if i wasnt a broke arse student lol

oh imperial your mum is sad news........ jk lol

Mudkips did 9/11 - The way I see it is, I'm playing this game for the fun of it, not to prove that I have a fiery E-wang of doom.

[This message has been edited by retribution1423 (edited 05-03-2009 @ 09:07 PM).]

posted 05-07-09 09:15 PM EDT (US)     33 / 43  
Can anyone acess elorating.com now? Because I can't, and I think we may have just lost elorating.
posted 05-07-09 09:55 PM EDT (US)     34 / 43  
ack same here...NOOOO -.-
posted 05-07-09 10:02 PM EDT (US)     35 / 43  
it's not down yet i doubt. Just really slow today (was working a couple hours ago for me, but now it isn't loading)

QUACK
posted 05-08-09 03:47 PM EDT (US)     36 / 43  
It's not down, but skwzz sigs are.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
posted 05-10-09 04:55 PM EDT (US)     37 / 43  
I assume elorating.com is closed down now for good?

I keep getting errors, and so do others, when I and others try and upload game stats from the site, so I assume its gone now?
posted 05-11-09 00:43 AM EDT (US)     38 / 43  
^ no official confirmation yet, but i suspect so as well. They mentioned that they would be closing soon so i'm assuming that's why everything is not working.

QUACK
posted 05-11-09 07:51 PM EDT (US)     39 / 43  
They have closed down officially.
posted 05-11-09 07:55 PM EDT (US)     40 / 43  
^ really? i was under the impression that they just mentioned that they would close down... link plz

BTW, what's with your sig? joined james's clan now :O

QUACK
posted 05-11-09 08:43 PM EDT (US)     41 / 43  
Anyone ever use this site? http://fyuji.fam.cx/agesrv/Its in Japanese mostly, but you can still navigate it pretty intuitively. They seem to have 1v1 and team elo's, but I am guessing they will not update? Although, the elo's I get on that site are different from the last I got from elorating or undefeat and I haven't played online in a few days so...?

EDIT: Darn, NVM, I just checked that site again any my elo reset to 1600 and pr to zero. Oh well.

ESO:ChrisTheMean
N3O Clan Website
Of myChinese Confucian Confusion FF MarneusCalgar said, "It sounds like an 70's kung-fu movie." And it is.

[This message has been edited by christhemean (edited 05-11-2009 @ 09:10 PM).]

posted 05-12-09 06:59 AM EDT (US)     42 / 43  
There are only a few other sites that do the same thing that elorating.com did, but they are definitely not as good as them.

Just ask the people running those sites, to try and update their site, and make it more like elorating.com?
posted 05-12-09 07:43 AM EDT (US)     43 / 43  
Elorating.com hasn't closed down officially yet. The stats are only not working since AgeCommunity.com stats (where they source their information from) are down.

Tyler, what is your ESO name in A-US? I didn't know you were in my clan?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Sad News about ELORATING.COM
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames