Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Empires III: The Lord of the Rings Mod
« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7 8 9 ··· 20  Next Page »
posted 01-03-07 09:43 PM EDT (US)   

The Lord of the Rings is a mod set in Middle Earth during the War of the Ring. It features new civilizations, units, technologies, maps, and AI.

I'm looking for a Texturer to speed up the process.

Your job will most probably be the creation of the renowned leaders of the War of the Ring and cavalry units, people like Theoden and the Black Riders and units such as the Knight of the Wold. Knowledge about AoE3 modding would be nice but is certainly not a must. Modding AoE3 is relativly simple, at least for this part and I can supply you with most of the codes so you’ll only have to paint the texture and create a normal map for it (can just be done with a PS-plugin). Since the textures are only 64x64 (some are also 128x128) they don’t have much detail so your skills don’t have to be top-class. Since you’ll be left with quite a lot of freedom to paint the textures how you want them, a more important aspect will be creativity and originality. If you can you create original looking units that look historically correct (at least according to Middle-Earth history), then this might be something for you!

So if you’re interested, please send an e-mail to ash52_007@yahoo.com with at least 2 examples of your past work. If you have any questions, you can also e-mail or post here and I’ll try to answer them as fast and as thoroughly as I can.

Gondor

The chief kingdom of men during the third age, Gondor was the last of the great kingdoms made by those of Numenor. It was the last guard against Mordor, and constantly held the forces of evil at bay, thereby protecting many others unaware of Gondor's sacrifices.

Home City: Minas Tirith
Ruler: Denethor II, Son of Ecthelion, Steward of Gondor

• Osgiliath Man-at-Arms: Quick infantry from Osgiliath. They counter ranged infantry well.
  • Guard of the City: Strong infantry that guard the city of Minas Tirith. They counter infantry well.
  • Guard of the Citadel: Strong AND fast infantry. They counter cavalry well.
  • Guard of the Fountain: An upgrade for Guard of the Citadel.
  • Bowman of the Vale: Ranged infantry from Western Gondor, short range but powerful attack.
  • Ranger of Ithilien: Ranged infantry from the lands east of the Anduin, they have a huge LOS and range but a slightly less powerful attack. They also are stealthy.
  • Knight of the Golden Tower: Cavalry units that have a weak attack but are very swift.
  • Knight of Dol Amroth: Cavalry units that have a strong attack. They are slightly slower, however.

• Dunedain Ranger: Strong, fast, infantry with a powerful attack and large LOS. They can kill treasure guardians in one shot and have a large aura effect. They also are stealthy.

Rohan

Rohan was he kingdom of the Rohirrim, horse riders, who were fierce in battle. They had survived many years against the orcs but were now to be besieged by both Mordor and Isengard. They loved hrses and rode them into battle.

Home City: Edoras
Ruler: Theoden, King of the Mark

• Rohan Peasant: A fast gathering villager, akin to the settler wagon.
  • Spearman: A spear carrying infantry, good against cavalry.
  • Rohan Warrior: A halberd carrying infantry, good against other infantry.
  • Axeman: A axe carrying infantry, good against uruk-hai especially.
  • Rider of Rohan: A basic cavalry unit, it is buildable in blocks.
  • Horse Archer: An archer on a horse. Good against infantry.
  • Crossbowman: Ranged infantry with a strong attack. Good against infantry.
  • Knight of the Wold: Knights from the wold of Rohan, especially good at countering ranged infantry.
  • Horselord: The most expert horsemen of the Rohirrim. Good at countering infantry.

• Marshall of the Riddermark: A Lord of the Rohirrim, only four are builadable. However, they have a very strong attack, especally against infantry and buildings, and are stealthy with a large aura effect.

The Hosts of Sauron

The source of evil, Mordor was the kingdom of the Dark Lord Sauron. His servants were spread over Middle Earth, many being goblins and orcs. Sauron's aim was to regain the one ring and cover the world in a second darkness.

Home City: Barad-Dur
Ruler: Sauron, Lord of Mordor

• Black Orc: A basic orc unit, good against infantry.
  • Grunt: A strong orc but slow speed. Good against ranged infantry.
  • Impaler: A orc which prefers to use a long spear to stick its enemy with. Good against cavalry.
  • Minas Morgul Sentry: A quiet and fast orc from Minas Morgul. Stealthy and good against ranged infantry.
  • Orc Archer: Ranged infantry from the Black Gate itself. Good against infantry.
  • Goblin Javelineer: Preferring to throw javelins, this orc is good against cavalry.
  • Manslayer: A swift stealthy unit adept at killing infantry.

• Warg Rider: A warg riding orc, they are swift of foot and have a larger LOS. They also are stealthy, have an aura effect, and are good against infantry.

Isengard

In the year 1000 of the third age, five wizards came to Middle Earth to help the free peoples. Two went into the east, the blue wizards. One, Radagast the Brown, bacame a lover of wild beasts and was good at heart. Gandalf the Grey was the most active at helping. But Saruman the White succumbed to the evil. He created a stronghold of Isengard, which Rohan gave him. He betrayed the free peoples and sieged Rohan, ready for war.

Home City: Nan Curunir
Ruler: Saruman the White

• Uruk Warrior: A basic uruk unit, good against infantry.
  • Orc Tracker: A fast orc but weak. Good against infantry and stealthy.
  • Dunland Wildman: A wildman from Dunland with a desire to kill. Good against ranged infantry.
  • Uruk-Hai Raider: A fast Uruk excellent at raiding villages. Good against cavalry.
  • Uruk Crossbow: Ranged infantry carrying a rapid firing crossbow. Good against infantry.
  • Corsair Bowman: Bowmen from the Southern lands, this corsair is good against cavalry.
  • Dunland Lancer: A man on a horsde carrying a lance, they're good against other cavalry.
  • Warg Rider: A warg riding orc, they are swift of foot and have a larger LOS. They are good against infantry.

• Uruk-Hai Predator: Stealthy Uruks ready to hunt down any enemy. They are swift of foot and have a larger LOS. They also have an aura effect, and are good against infantry.

Dwarves

An ancient race, dwarves were great craftsmen and lovers of stone. Though much of their history is unknown, they are considered one of the most noblest and powerful races of Middle Earth. Their strongholds and riches were devoured by the dragons and they suffered mistreatment at the hands of Sauron. Their hatred of elves is great but friendships did emerge. Their hatred of Sauron exceeded all, though.

Home City: Erebor
Ruler: Dain II, King under the Mountain

• Mountain Scout: A stealthy scout wielding an axe, good against infantry.
  • Guardian: A strong dwarf from the mountain halls. Good against ranged infantry.
  • Phalanx: A spear carrying dwarf from the Blue Mountains. Good against cavalry infantry.
  • Glaiveman: A very strong dwarf from Moria. Good against infantry.
  • War Chariot: A chariot from Erebor that can be driven into battle. Good against cavalry.
  • Pony lancer: A dwarf riding a horse and carrying spear. Good against infantry.
  • Ram: A battering ram to knock down gates and walls.
  • Fire Wagon: A burning war chariot that explodes in combat.

• Dragonslayer: Super strong dwarves coated with armor and their face hidden. In one hand they carry a axe and in the other a hammer. They have an aura effect.

Elves

The fairest of the Children of Illuvatar, and the eldest, they were the greatest creatures of good in Middle Earth after the Wizards. They did not age nor die easily, and they're help would be greatly needed in the upcoming war. Yet after that war, they faded, and passed to the land of the Valar.

Home City: Imladris
Ruler: Lord Elrond Peredhil

• Lorien Soldier: Quick infantry from Lothlorien, good against infantry.
  • Mithlond Sentry: A stealthy sentry from Mithlond. Good against ranged infantry.
  • Noldor Warrior: A sword carrying Noldo, ready to fight. Good against cavalry.
  • Galadrim Archer:A bowelf from Lorien. Good against infantry.
  • Rivendell Hunter: A stealthy bow carrying elf, weak but swift. Good against infantry and can kill treasure guardians in one shot.
  • Mirkwood Warden: A stealthy sentry from Mirkwood. Good against ranged infantry.
  • Rivendell Lancer: An elf on a horse carrying a spear. Good against infantry and cavalry. Weak against ranged infantry.
  • Silvan Horse Archer: A ranged cavalry good at killing infantry.

• Emerald Guard: A guard from Lothlorien. Ready to kill and stealthily hunt down others. They have an aura effect.

Haradrim

Evil men from the east and south, not much is known about them. Their lands are harsh desert and mountainous regions. They heed the call of Sauron alone.

Home City: Umbar
Ruler: Suladan, the Serpent Lord

• Warband: Basic spearman of the Haradrim, good against cavalry.
  • Corsair: Sword infantry from the pirate ships. Good against ranged infantry.
  • Southron Archer: Skilled bowman. Upgrades to Southron Sharpshooter. Good against infantry.
  • Khand Lancer: Cavalry good at charging infantry.
  • Raider: Mounted bowman of the Haradrim. Fast and effective against cavalry.
  • Mumakil: Large beasts of the Haradrim. Excellent siege weaponry. (Note: this unit might be scrapped because it is not known how to make new models.)
  • Fire Hawks: Team of three soldiers that are trained as one unit. These units throw sticks with pouches of explosive powder tied to one end.

• Hasharin: A fast unit wielding a deadly knife. This unit has the stealth ability. Hasharii were an order founded in the name of Sauron, very high in authority, and murderous towards those who question them.
  • Mahud: Mahud are a special heavy infantry unit. These units wield a long barbed wooden polearm, curved like a hook at the end. Mahud have an aura effect.

Esgaroth

• Bardian Bowman: Ranged cavalry from Dale.
  • Rhovanion Rider: A sword carrying cavalry ready to kill.

Technologies

• Black Arrow: Bardian Bowmen and Rhovanion Riders get a unique arrow ability.

Lossarnoch

• Lossarnoch Axebearer: Axe wielding icemen.

Technologies

• Call of Barahir: All infantry get a 75% increase in attack.

Shire-folk

• Shirrif: A sherrif among the hobbits wielding great authority.
  • Buckland Militia: Militia ready to ward off invaders.

Technologies

• Stubborn Pride: Hobbits get a 50% defense bonus.

Militia
Rhun Fang-Pike
Ranger of Ithilien
Rohirric Axeman

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!

[This message has been edited by Ashwin13 (edited 06-27-2007 @ 02:40 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-23-07 02:50 PM EDT (US)     151 / 485  
For Gollum I was just thinking of having him be gaia and he runs around the map. He should have 200+ HP so he can't be killed by your hero. His regen rate should be 10% HP every 2 second after hes been idle for 3.5 seconds. I like your hero idea a lot.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
posted 03-23-07 03:11 PM EDT (US)     152 / 485  
And he should be quite fast. It might be possible, I'll see what I can do. And I still need to decide for the hero idea, is a technology or a card?

|
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
posted 03-23-07 03:20 PM EDT (US)     153 / 485  
Hmmm......

If you do the card idea you for example you could make Eomer better than Eowyn but he would be level 10 or something like that.

If it's a technology you could research the hero technology you need when you need it. E.g. Your being rushed, your getting slaughter be his (1 really good unit). You choose Eomer for his spear throw to kill the unit. Or in another example. your cavalry are getting slaughtered by his pikemen, you buy Theoden for his cavalry HP boost aura to kill the pikemen.

Those are the reasons to choose one or the other. I'm still thinking which is better, their both really even.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

posted 03-23-07 03:28 PM EDT (US)     154 / 485  
But after you choose a hero, you can't then choose another; you're stuck with that one for the rest of the game.

|
posted 03-23-07 03:36 PM EDT (US)     155 / 485  
Oh. (schniesse)(German for Sh--)

Well you could go back to my original idea of retexturing the campaign heroes and sending them through a card or buying them.

posted 03-23-07 03:37 PM EDT (US)     156 / 485  
Bull. Shisse is German for Sh**. I should know, Im German

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that loyal to them, here we lie

Heed to Sparta, that on this hill, we lie loyal to them still

Go tell to Sparta, what you have read, that loyal to them, we lie now dead...

posted 03-23-07 03:48 PM EDT (US)     157 / 485  
I heard it was schniesse. Txs for the correction. I heard German for FU was leer es ficken sy. Is that correct? I'm half German. Learining it too. Sorry off topic.

posted 03-23-07 03:54 PM EDT (US)     158 / 485  
That's the main idea, you start with an explorer and then later upgrade to a hero. I had that idea a long time ago. But the question is the upgrade available as a technology or a card. It'll probably be a card, I like the idea more.

|
posted 03-23-07 04:01 PM EDT (US)     159 / 485  
Will you only have one hero card in your deck? Or can you send in the Eowyn card then later send in the Eomer card?

posted 03-23-07 05:34 PM EDT (US)     160 / 485  
1) It's called "Scheiße" (Scheisse)
2) Keep on topic guys
posted 03-23-07 07:14 PM EDT (US)     161 / 485  
I agree with Kastor, stay on topic!

And no, you can have multiple (up to three) hero cards in your deck. However, sending one will disable the others. This way, you can only send them once.

|
posted 03-26-07 02:34 PM EDT (US)     162 / 485  
O.K. I like that idea. Sorry, I'll stay on topic now.

posted 03-27-07 10:27 PM EDT (US)     163 / 485  
If someone already brought this up,sorry,but there's already a more LOTR version of what you're making out there,it's called Battle for Middle Earth.

Ignoring that,I'd say this sounds like a really good mod.I'd like to see it in action but I'll be sad if it's just for War Cheifs,seeing as I don't have it yet

AOEIII:The Reinforcements Mod

"Check in your wallet,that's me on the dollar bill" - George Crushington
posted 03-27-07 10:38 PM EDT (US)     164 / 485  

Quote:

If someone already brought this up,sorry,but there's already a more LOTR version of what you're making out there,it's called Battle for Middle Earth.

I know that very well, but there are some people that might just like AoE3 more and want to play LotR on AoE3, or people who don't have BfME.

Quote:

Ignoring that,I'd say this sounds like a really good mod.I'd like to see it in action but I'll be sad if it's just for War Cheifs,seeing as I don't have it yet

Thank you! ANd this is going to be for Warchiefs only. I don't plan on releasing a Vanilla version. I'm sorry. You're best bet would be to get WC. But don't worry, there's still a lot of time until this mod is to be released...

|
posted 03-28-07 09:34 AM EDT (US)     165 / 485  
I think its going to be better since its based off AoE3, why? Because you have the HC feature which would make any RTS game better.

posted 03-28-07 03:09 PM EDT (US)     166 / 485  
WoW!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME JUST GO AND BUY BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH II IT WILL BE MORE LIKE LOTR THAN THIS MOD,,,ALTHOUGH IT IS A GOOD IDEA
posted 03-28-07 06:36 PM EDT (US)     167 / 485  
Pickla, no posting with Caps Locks on, ok? That's considered spam.

And many mods might have games which are similar to their objective, but that's not an excuse for not making one... so no one needs "this already exists!" comments, specially if the modder is aware of that.

This is just an extra incentive to make the mod as unique as possible...

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 03-28-07 07:27 PM EDT (US)     168 / 485  
Thanks Walker

|
posted 03-28-07 08:40 PM EDT (US)     169 / 485  
First of all, why does Rohan get crossbowmen? That was Isengard. Second, the Dwarvish home city should be Erebor. Mordor should not get Warg riders, as said by some of the others who posted on this topic. Warg riders should be for Isengard. Also, there should be royal guard units. An example is for Gondor is Dunedain Rangers upgrade to Numenorean Rangers, or Uruk Warriors upgrade to Uruk Legionary. The explorers/heroes should be able to be named, like the ones in AoE3 and AoE3TWC. Some natives could be Bree-folk, Goblins--if they are not made into a nation of their own, the people of Forodwaith, Black Numenoreans, Enedwaith(unless this is part of Rohan, for I would like to be informed, please.), and any men of Rhovanion, and the inslaved men of Mordor(near Nurn).

[This message has been edited by Dedonus (edited 03-28-2007 @ 08:42 PM).]

posted 03-28-07 08:55 PM EDT (US)     170 / 485  

Quote:

First of all, why does Rohan get crossbowmen? That was Isengard.

Go check out Helms Deep, the Rohirrim had archers there.

Quote:

Second, the Dwarvish home city should be Erebor.

It is.

Quote:

Mordor should not get Warg riders, as said by some of the others who posted on this topic. Warg riders should be for Isengard.

Gothmog rode a warg. Wargs were at first bred by Mordor and then Isengard also used them.

Quote:

Also, there should be royal guard units.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't royal guard units in AoE3 when a unit shared by more than one civ had special upgrades in one civ but not the others? Like British Musketeers upgrading to Redcoats? If so, then there can't be Royal Guard Units because no units are shared over civs.

Quote:

The explorers/heroes should be able to be named, like the ones in AoE3 and AoE3TWC.

There isn't much point in doing so because of how the explorer will work in this mod. Your basic explorer will have a name you choose but the heroes have a fixed name.

Quote:

Some natives could be Bree-folk, Goblins--if they are not made into a nation of their own, the people of Forodwaith, Enedwaith(unless this is part of Rohan, for I would like to be informed, please.), and any men of Rhovanion, and the inslaved men of Mordor(near Nurn).

Bree-folk, Men of Enedwaith, Forgotten Forodwaith, and Escaped Slaves of Mordor... Good ideas! Rhovanion is just going to be Esgaroth and Goblins are their own nation.

EDIT: Enedwaith is the lands South of Arnor until Gondor. So no, it isn't part of Rohan.

|

[This message has been edited by Ashwin13 (edited 03-28-2007 @ 09:01 PM).]

posted 03-29-07 12:46 PM EDT (US)     171 / 485  

Quote:

Go check out Helms Deep, the Rohirrim had archers there.

I think that's exactly what he meant; that Rohan should have archers instead of crossbowmen.

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't royal guard units in AoE3 when a unit shared by more than one civ had special upgrades in one civ but not the others? Like British Musketeers upgrading to Redcoats? If so, then there can't be Royal Guard Units because no units are shared over civs.

Most of the time yes, but there are a some exceptions, as a few civilizations can upgrade their Unique Units to Royal Guard level (French Cuirassiers, German Uhlans, Spanish Rodeleros, etc). However, it depends on how your upgrades would work... if every single unit follows some kind of Veteran -> Guard -> Imperial upgrade order, then it wouldn't be a problem having a few units with RG upgrades.

If you make something more like AoK, where most units were completely renamed after being upgraded, then there would be no way to differentiate a RG unit from a "normal" unit.

So it has more to do with how upgrades work than if units are shared or not. That said, only do so if you want that a few units become stronger late in the game, risking to make the others obsolete - because it might be better if all units got access to almost the same upgrades (excluding Arsenal Techs and Cards)

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 03-29-07 02:44 PM EDT (US)     172 / 485  

Quote:

Gothmog rode a warg. Wargs were at first bred by Mordor and then Isengard also used them.

Yes Gothmog rode a warg. But that is the only time you here of someone from Mordor riding one. Mordor shouldn't have them.

posted 03-29-07 06:29 PM EDT (US)     173 / 485  
I agree with Dedonus. Rohan shouldn't have crossbowmen.

+1 to post count

John the Penguin, Pickila, Johnnie, King Tufu, and Penguin Grounds.

"This will be our finest hour" Churchill

posted 03-29-07 06:38 PM EDT (US)     174 / 485  
Hey Dedonus those ideas for natives are great! Another idea for natives would be Barrow Wights. Those would be awesome. Look at BFMEII's Barrow Wights to get an idea. You'd have to base them off the Iroqouis warchief though.

posted 03-29-07 06:39 PM EDT (US)     175 / 485  
Dedonus and Catabre your such geniuses.

+1 to post count

John the Penguin, Pickila, Johnnie, King Tufu, and Penguin Grounds.

"This will be our finest hour" Churchill

[This message has been edited by Pickla (edited 03-29-2007 @ 06:40 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7 8 9 ··· 20  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Age of Empires III: The Lord of the Rings Mod
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames