Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Tutorial: Cultures.
posted 06-28-07 04:29 AM EDT (US)   

THE PROBLEM

Anyone who's made a new civ must have thought about making a new set of buildings for it, right? At least, so did I when making my Danish Civ Mod. If you don't know how to do that, this will hopefully be the solution.

THE SOLUTION

Firstly, I must note that cultures are all about buildings (of course), and buildings have Granny 3D Models. So bear in mind you can't edit models, only textures.

Note: Everytime you see 'Scandinavian' in this tutorial, that's just an example. Use your own culture name instead.

OK, let's start. If you want to create a new set of buildings, you'll have to create a new culture. Cultures are defined in cultures.xml, inside Data.bar . Extract and open it, and you'll see this short amount of text:

WesternEurope

Mediterranean

EasternEurope

Aztec

Sioux

Iroquois

Step 1

Start by copying a piece, let's say you take the first one, paste it somewhere and rename it to Scandinavian.

And incredibly fast, you're done in cultures.xml . Convert it back to .xmb, and place it in your
"...\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III" folder

step 2

This is another easy and short part. Go to civs.xml and search the following tags (Danish is an example):
Danish

DU
objects\flags\danish
WesternEurope80000
Change 'WesternEurope' into 'Scandinavian', and you've finished the second step.

step 3

This is the slightly duller part of the tutorial. You'll have to edit the visual xml files of all buildings you want to use in your civ. As an example I'll use the Barracks.

Search Barracks.xml (It's in one of the art.bar's, I thought art1, but I'm not sure) and open it. You'll get a big amount of text, so don't browse to search the following tags, but use Ctrl+F. The tags to search (promise me you won't type this all into the search box ):
west_age2

collapse_smoke

collapse_smoke

effects\smoke\collapse_smoke_a.particle

Idle
collapse_smoke

base smoke

smoke base

effects\smoke\collapsesmoke01.particle

Idle
smoke base

base smoke2

smoke wave

effects\smoke\collapse_smoke_wave.particle

Idle
smoke wave

base smoke3

smoke wave center

effects\smoke\collapse_smoke_wave02.particle

Idle
smoke wave center

west_age2

buildings\barracks\west\age_2\west_barracks_age2_damaged

buildings\barracks\west\age_2\west_barracks_age2

buildings\barracks\west\age_2\lp_west_barracks_age2

buildings\barracks\WEST\AGE_2\west_barracks_ground
shadows_selections\selection_square_128x128

This is, as visible on top of it, a Barracks which can be built by the WesternEurope Civs in the Colonial and Fortress Age. Beneath this big piece of text are 3 others, called west_age2_death, west_age3 and west_age3_death.

If you want to make your new building based on this one, copy all this info, and paste it somewhere else. Edit the textures (described in other tutorials) and go to the bottom of the file.

step 4

At the bottom of the file you'll find this:

Copy and Paste it, and change WesternEurope into Scandinavian. Also change the bold tags, if you edited the parts of this file they're pointing to...

step 5

Do the same as in step 4 with all other buildings you might want to be appearing in your civ.

GOOD LUCK

peugeot407

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)

[This message has been edited by peugeot407 (edited 09-30-2010 @ 11:22 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-28-07 10:17 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
peugeot407 is good! But refine your tutorial just a little, bold your "step" words, i can't see them

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 06-28-07 01:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
Did it now.

|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)

posted 07-04-07 04:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
Kicked the thread up a bit...

peugeot407

[This message has been edited by peugeot407 (edited 07-04-2007 @ 04:36 AM).]

posted 07-05-07 04:15 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
this is realy good im sure it will help lots of people

you should put it on the tutorials page
posted 07-09-07 05:33 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10  
Argalius does that, or not???

peugeot407

posted 07-09-07 07:37 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
I'm not uploading every single tutorial here because I don't know if people like that. But if you want me to put it up, I'd be gladly to do it.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 07-09-07 02:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
If you want to do so, I'll be very happy with that. Thanks already.

peugeot407

posted 08-02-07 07:57 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10  
I sort of forgot about this, but I finally uploaded your tutorial. I changed some parts of it, just minor stuff, I hope you don't mind. The tutorial can be found right here.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 08-02-07 09:46 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10  
And amazingly fast, you're done in cultures.xml . Convert it back to .xmb, and place it in your
Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\ folder
Wrong, it must be placed in C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Empires III/data
posted 08-02-07 10:46 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
Fixed it.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Tutorial: Cultures.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames