Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age Of Empires III: The Ancient Age
« Previous Page  1 ··· 11 12 13 14  Next Page »
posted 10-03-07 02:45 PM EDT (US)   
The Ancient Age is a Total Conversion Mod for Age Of Empires III TAD about the Ancient Times, which will be made by Tilanus Commodor & Ca Putt. Almost everyone of us started just with a minor basic knowledge, but we are developing ourselves. The Ancient Age is not an Age Of Mythology or Age Of Empires I Remake. Nevertheless the Age Of Empires Series is among other RTS-Games a true inspiration for us.

It is our aim to include five new civilisations: The Carthaginians, Celts, Hellenes, Persians and Romans. Besides we are willed to develop an unique gameplay, which will be a good contrast to other mods and the original game. This includes for example a new building & unit system. Since the modification's setting takes place in a completely different age you can expect a lot of new material. More details will be revealed when the time is better.

» Media «

The Romans

Bonus: Cheaper fortifications, 1 Hastatus/Barrack
Archaic Unit: Spearman 'Voluntarius'
Campaign: Legio VI Ferrata
Strengths:
Infantry & Siege equipment and versatility
Good Commanders
Weaknesses:
Medium Cavalry & Fleet
Expensive Archer support

Eques, Age II - Roman Lancer, good against light units, suitable for raids
Princeps, Age III 1st Upgrade of the Hastatus; Heavy Melee Infantry with ranged attack

The Hellenes

Bonus: Free Villagers & Scholars by Age Up
Archaic Unit: Slinger 'Sphendonotes'
Campaign: Macedonians
Strengths:
Balanced Army
Economy & Technology
Weaknesses:
Slow Core Army
Average Military Improvements
Realization of 'The Ancient Age'
To realize a huge project like The Ancient Age an active team is absolutely needed. Even if there is already a new active team, we'd like to extent the amount of workers to speed up the process of production. Therefore we are looking for new ambitious members, who want to learn fast and work practically.

We appreciate every new interested request, even if we have to refuse some people, they tried it and had the good intention to help us.
The more people work for our project, the faster will we finish it, simpliest logic, isn't it? So take your chance and prevent stagnation or a long periods of waiting. We support everyone who »really« wants to help us and is not just taking a look for two weeks. Thanks.

Free Jobs:
Texturers [no limit]
Coders [max.2]
Graphic Artists [no limit]
Concept Artists [no limit]
Co-Balancers [max.2]

Terms of Admission
Will to improve your abilities/will to work alone and with the Team
Appropriate expenditure of time for this project
Communicative availability (do not ignore PMs, MSN messages or emails)
some background knowledge
MSN

»Team«
We do that mod alone.

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 04-27-2009 @ 04:11 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-03-10 00:26 AM EDT (US)     301 / 332  
I feel really sorry for you, seriously I know how that looks and feels like.

The uncertainty permanently grew over the past years, it's horrible. It's very hard to keep yourself motivated, especially when you have to realize that you're still - after all - the only one with some force and drive behind the wheel. It just won't move without you. TAA was founded in 2007, now is 2010 and we haven't even finished any civ completely, nor released anything playable. It's always sorta embarrassing and makes me feel kinda sad, but on the other side I'm too ambitious to give up. I think I see this as some wicked serious test of my personality.

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-03-10 12:21 PM EDT (US)     302 / 332  
You think YOU have problems...talk to Tahattus and you'll have something to feel good about.
posted 04-03-10 03:31 PM EDT (US)     303 / 332  
Whatever it is, it might make me feel better, but it doesnt solve the reason of this problem, so this "happiness" would only be transient. I dont know why Tahattus would be in a worse situation though, he has a great mod and a lot of stuff is already done. What we have done is very limited, wherever you look, I think you'll find a few details that are still missing.

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-04-10 11:51 AM EDT (US)     304 / 332  
I think every leading modder has at least once experienced that. To a certain extent, I'm a fortunate modder even, since K&B has always had rather a large team of modders, and especially General_II, Linuchadnezzar and spangopola have been doing their very best for this mod, generally a lot more than me, even. Still, a mod without someone with the motivation to get it finished is doomed, and my motivation has slowly faded away in the last year or so. I'm not at all fed up with the idea of K&B, and I'm pretty certain that I could play it for hours, would it have been finished, it's just that I've lost some of my interest in AoE3. It used to be a wonderful game when it was released, and it still is, though the amount of research and work that goes into making anything work is, for me at least, one hell of a disadvantage in modding AoE3. Combine that with the limited modding possibilities, and the amount of units/buildings/techs/RM's/the lot that has to be done for a total conversion, and it's enough to make me realise K&B will probably never be finished...

peugeot407

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)
posted 04-04-10 02:22 PM EDT (US)     305 / 332  
I think every leading modder has at least once experienced that. To a certain extent, I'm a fortunate modder even, since K&B has always had rather a large team of modders, and especially General_II, Linuchadnezzar and spangopola have been doing their very best for this mod, generally a lot more than me, even. Still, a mod without someone with the motivation to get it finished is doomed, and my motivation has slowly faded away in the last year or so. I'm not at all fed up with the idea of K&B, and ..
Right, you had special luck with the members in your team. I'm still motivated, I just have some boost phases and then I feel like you, so it can fade away easily. I hope I can get TAA done, to a certain extent. I'm pretty sure I'll finish the Romans and Hellenes.
I'm pretty certain that I could play it for hours, would it have been finished, it's just that I've lost some of my interest in AoE3. It used to be a wonderful game when it was released, and it still is, though the amount of research and work that goes into making anything work is, for me at least, one hell of a disadvantage in modding AoE3. Combine that with the limited modding possibilities, and the amount of units/buildings/techs/RM's/the lot that has to be done for a total conversion, and it's enough to make me realise K&B will probably never be finished...
Yeah, I can fully understand and subscribe that.

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-04-10 02:37 PM EDT (US)     306 / 332  
Right, you had special luck with the members in your team. I'm still motivated, I just have some boost phases and then I feel like you, so it can fade away easily. I hope I can get TAA done, to a certain extent. I'm pretty sure I'll finish the Romans and Hellenes.
I shouldered the public Beta of my mod for a year with no internal files or other workers.

Lead designer for The War of the Triple Alliance Mod
"It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
-Lord Tahattus
"Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
-invent00r
posted 04-04-10 03:10 PM EDT (US)     307 / 332  
You're right, but then that's what made your name as a modder...

Any votes for a 'Modding Mortuary' thread, for great-but-never-finished-ideas, like Revolutions (who remembers?) and K&B? #justkidding

peugeot407

|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)

[This message has been edited by peugeot407 (edited 04-04-2010 @ 03:11 PM).]

posted 04-04-10 05:30 PM EDT (US)     308 / 332  
Haha yes, we really sound like Emos talking. Why not meet in an IRC chat and cry for our ruined modder lifes? Hahaha!

I found a lot of ways to deal with the limits, but things like the Revolution are really annoying and frustrating, that's just not helping at all.

I think when I quit I'll write a hater mail to Bonfire and Robot why they installed so f*ckin restrictions in that game.

@DOTN - I'm so proud of you. [irony]And your textures were so sweet![/irony] just joking

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 04-04-2010 @ 05:31 PM).]

posted 04-05-10 09:55 AM EDT (US)     309 / 332  
I think when I quit I'll write a hater mail to Bonfire and Robot why they installed so f*ckin restrictions in that game.
Better write one to BHG, they took away all the things we could still do...
(...) things like the Revolution (...)
Either you're talking about something completely else, or you've also forgotten the Revolutions mod, back in the good-old days, when Argalius and Tahattus were still among us. (Really picturing my modding grave now )

peugeot407

posted 04-05-10 05:10 PM EDT (US)     310 / 332  
Any votes for a 'Modding Mortuary' thread, for great-but-never-finished-ideas
The Mod Database should serve this purpose, but it is not being updated. In fact, if I can get Tahattus' okay, can a mod give the thread to me or something? I could continue updates.
like Revolutions
mine.
I found a lot of ways to deal with the limits, but things like the Revolution are really annoying and frustrating, that's just not helping at all.
Talk to Tahttus! MSN would be good. He can lead you through the new revo politician making process.
Either you're talking about something completely else
Talking about this. I believe you've seen it

"It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
-Lord Tahattus
"Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
-invent00r
posted 04-06-10 00:32 AM EDT (US)     311 / 332  
Hey folks

I just .. found this weird, .. unfinished .. modpack with a cool download button (!) on my hard drive. So I thought I could just upload it and pretend it's miine. ^^

Read the installation instructions »here«. | Found a bug? Post it »here«. | You wanna tell us your opinion? Do it »here«.

Have fun, I hope you like it.

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-06-10 01:17 AM EDT (US)     312 / 332  
Holy siht! Damn eclipsing our next release....
Anyways, I'll take a look when I get the time. Can't wait!

-Lord Tahattus
-invent00r
posted 04-06-10 02:22 AM EDT (US)     313 / 332  
News'd

AoE3 Heaven cherub
AgeSanctuary administrator
NerVe Clan member
posted 04-06-10 03:32 AM EDT (US)     314 / 332  
Thanks Viper ^^ Ca Putt will be happy to see his name there, he might not fully deserve it, but I'm pretty okay with that

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-06-10 03:07 PM EDT (US)     315 / 332  
Just a thought on the installation instructions:
3. Preparing your "My Games" folder

When WinRAR finished extracted all files there will be a new folder called My Games.

Right-click on this folder and select "Cut"
- Open your My Documents folder and click on any free spot

- Select "Paste"
- Click on "OK" in case Windows asks you for the permission to overwrite write-protected files
- Open the My Games folder and then AI3
- Delete all the files in there
Not only does replacing the My Games folder remove all the Scenarios and Custom maps that people have obtained when they go back to Vanilla, but many other games use the My Games folder, and many store their saves there. Please change your instructions to back-up the Age of Empires 3 folder in My Games, but also to place your custom Age of Empires 3 in the My Games, not replacing the whole My Games folder.

Thank You! I hope I save some people a lot of grief.

EDIT:
Also, once I got to playing it, I got this message:
Initialization Failed
Could not load DATAPY.BAR

[This message has been edited by musketeer925 (edited 04-06-2010 @ 03:47 PM).]

posted 04-06-10 04:04 PM EDT (US)     316 / 332  
Actually you just overwrite while placing the My Games folder files there, it shouldn't delete anything. I've never experienced this. Are you sure this has deleted your files?

Everyone should have the DataPY.bar, it's a BAR-File from ES. Did you patch your AoE3 TAD? Cause if you didn't, you might not have it. Use the manual patch installer inside the Age Of Empires III folder, then install TAA again.

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-06-10 05:16 PM EDT (US)     317 / 332  
That didn't actually happen to me, I was just assuming thats what would happen. I guess I should've trusted the modders on that one. I installed it the way I suggested.

Anyway, Yes, I do have the latest patch, so that's not the problem.

EDIT: Fixed. My Unistallation of NE Beta must've deleted it, I had that in the file before.

[This message has been edited by musketeer925 (edited 04-06-2010 @ 05:18 PM).]

posted 04-06-10 05:30 PM EDT (US)     318 / 332  
If you lost it you can find it in TAD Designer FP which i posted some time ago (Tad 1.02 folder)

ESO2 Name:Sir_ConstantinESO Name:Sir_Pacman
Trigger Freak and Modder for AOE3

SCP Editor Tools---my map pack---Some incomplete stuff
My trigger Pack
posted 04-06-10 06:14 PM EDT (US)     319 / 332  
No, I got it in the actual AoE file of mine. That's why it said fixed, lol.

EDIT:

@ Tilinus: Found a few glitches, though if you've doen any testing at all, you will know about them. The Hellenes get a TC Wagon on age up, and the first age up into the [insert real name here and omit the following word] colonial age you get a wagon, but cannot build the TC until Age III.

Did you mean to leave the plantation in? Seemed kinda out of place.

I'm also assuming you havn't done politicians yet, because I got organ guns into Age IV with the Hellenes Kinda pwned the Romans...

[This message has been edited by musketeer925 (edited 04-06-2010 @ 06:18 PM).]

posted 04-06-10 07:05 PM EDT (US)     320 / 332  
The Hellenes are officially not really in the alpha, but yes, you can play with them. There's still lots of AoE3 stuff in there, like the Plantation. The Roman politicians are done though.

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 04-06-2010 @ 07:06 PM).]

posted 04-07-10 01:57 PM EDT (US)     321 / 332  
Heya folks,

there's a poll running on our page that asks you which online platform you'd like to use.

Check it and vote here: http://poll.pollcode.com/pkM

You can put comments on the "View" page.

Or is there anyone who knows how to make a setup file? ^^

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 04-07-2010 @ 04:37 PM).]

posted 04-08-10 10:57 AM EDT (US)     322 / 332  
If only you had said this was coming, I would have kept my moaning for another moment...

Great work getting it to this stage though, I'll try it out as soon I can.
I remember you did the Mod Loader once
I might try and do it, but don't make me promise...

peugeot407

[This message has been edited by peugeot407 (edited 04-08-2010 @ 10:59 AM).]

posted 04-08-10 11:03 AM EDT (US)     323 / 332  
Thank you very much rob

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-08-10 11:22 AM EDT (US)     324 / 332  
Have you still got the .psd for that button? It might come in useful for the 'artwork' required for a "TAA-packaged Mod Loader".

peugeot407, or Robert, for that matter

PS: Good luck getting the ESO plans through the Robot office!

posted 04-08-10 11:30 AM EDT (US)     325 / 332  
Sure I have, but I'd need an address to send it. =)

» Modding is art! «
« Previous Page  1 ··· 11 12 13 14  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Age Of Empires III: The Ancient Age
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames