Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Age of Empires 3 Modding Contest II, Hosted by Gibbo1993
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
posted 01-09-08 01:25 AM EDT (US)   

Logo Supplied by General_II

Theme: Anything and Everything
Just like in the last competition, anything and everything means that you can make any unit that you want. This means that there are no restrictions and you can let your imagination run wild. You could create a Mounted Stormtrooper, an Egyptian Pharaoh, a prehistoric caveman or your favourite super hero.

you may even submit units from your own mod!

Submission Deadline: 9th February 2008, 23:59 Forum Time

Examples:

the last contest's winner Captain_Soanso's scottish swordsman

also by the last contest's winner Captain_Soanso

Rules:
    • You can only enter units.

• The Unit cannot be taken from another mod Unless it is your own work.

• As said in the rule above, Contestants may enter units from their own Mod but only if it is their Mod.

• Contestants can enter several units.

• Contestants can group together to form teams. Each team can enter several units.

• Remember to submit your unit(s) BEFORE the submission date. Units can be entered any time from 09/03/07 until the submission date.

• Failure to follow the above rules may lead to disqualification.

Judging System:

A screen shot of your unit at different angles will be sufficient to judge upon.

Screenshots (or a link to one) should be posted in this Topic.

Units will be judged on the following criteria:

Unit detail 0-50 -Level of detail a unit displays. i.e. Does the belt have a buckle? Is there a belt? Can you tell what the unit is?

Design 0-50 -How well did the unit come together? Basic aesthetics: is it pleasing to the eye? Were the right things, like weapons and attachments, chosen, colored, or textured correctly? Does the archer's dark orange jetpack look good?

Creativity/Originality: 0 - 50 How creative you where in making your unit and how original it is.

Overall Score: 0 - 150 This is the overall score taken from the other three criteria. It is this score that will be compared with other contestants units.

Units that are NOT easily visible in the screen shots may not be judged.

Judges:
Gibbo1993
Matthew Sher
Lord Tahattus
General_II

Screen-shots
Screenshots should be supplied it the following way:
Zoomed In and:

-against a black background in editor using editor screenshot
OR
-against a white background in editor using editor screenshot
as long as units can clearly be seen they will be judged

Current entries:
peugeot407
Knights and Barbarians SPC Robin Hood
UN Soldier

alvaro_qc
Mexican Gendarme Officier
Mulazimin

Glosmostinex
Dragon

Good Luck!!!

Gibbo1993

[This message has been edited by gibbo1993 (edited 02-06-2008 @ 02:11 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02-25-08 05:44 PM EDT (US)     101 / 112  
It'd be interesting to download the unit to see how it handles in terms of speed and attack. Nice work.
Really? if so, i can send to you via email.

and... why others got 136 and me 135?

My Englaish is very guud.
I like to make Modifikatioms to the Gaime
Units I made: Dragon(Dragons attacking)
3rd place at AOE3H modding contest(2 points from 2nd!)
posted 02-26-08 05:20 PM EDT (US)     102 / 112  
Oh, that's just the fist for newcomers. ^^ He tries to get you pissed off so that your next unit lets the maximum point limit of 150 explode. ;P

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
posted 02-26-08 07:28 PM EDT (US)     103 / 112  
Though this is, I'm guessing, the alligator model
I think it's the monitor lizard. Very good dragon BTW.

Lead designer for The War of the Triple Alliance Mod
"It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
-Lord Tahattus
"Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
-invent00r
posted 02-27-08 10:28 AM EDT (US)     104 / 112  
Oh, that's just the fist for newcomers. ^^ He tries to get you pissed off so that your next unit lets the maximum point limit of 150 explode. ;P
Don't worry, I was bribed too well to care.
posted 03-02-08 08:51 PM EDT (US)     105 / 112  
Is Matthew Sher still judging?
posted 03-02-08 09:35 PM EDT (US)     106 / 112  
I'll get to it soon. I haven't had much time with modding or the community due to serious computer troubles, major events, and a never ending cycle of insanely large school assignments. Sorry I haven't been around much lately...I was wondering when someone was going to ask where I was.

ESO: Imperius
-Graphic and Unit designer of Napoleonic Era
-Creator of the Unit Upgrades Modpack
-Winner of the AOE3 Heaven Modding Competition
"Your units > ES's units" -- Cherub Walker
Age of Empires: Napoleonic Era - "Be afraid, Ensemble Studios. Be very afraid..."
posted 03-05-08 10:52 PM EDT (US)     107 / 112  
Here is my belated review, which is ultimately not worth the wait, but I'm still getting back into the swing of things. I tried to be honest, but not cruel *cough*Tahattus*cough*, and give constructive advice whenever possible. Anyways, let's see where this goes.

1. peugeot407's Knights and Barbarians SPC Robin Hood

Unit detail: 30/50. Points for the face, although you'll have to tell me if you made that from scratch. However, any credit for this is further diminished by the fact that the face doesn't align to the head. It's a very large texture, which means that an unlimited amount of detail was possible, and not utilized. I'm not penalizing you for having a high resolution, but it's definitely not necessary if you're not going to add lots of shadows and intricacies that would be indistinguishable at a lower resolution. I've made more detailed units with 1/4 the resolution, and you could easily downsize this texture without any loss in quality.
Design: 30/50. After having been blinded by the colors, it took me a few minutes to regain my sight and remember to keep writing my review. Seriously though, this is a mistake that I myself have made numerous times until Tahattus indirectly brought me to realize it. Unless it's a playercolor (which this unit has little of, apparently), try to choose your colors with some realism in mind. This unit would look infinitely better if you had kept your eyes on the Hue/Saturation and Brightness/Contrast tools. Even in terms of gameplay, it is much easier to tell which team a unit is on if the playercolor is not "upstaged" by an alternate color. I've noticed that even a lot of game developers are now subduing their characters' color schemes.
Creativity/Originality: 35/50. While Robin Hood isn't exactly an unpredictable choice for a unit, it's much easier to judge than some of those obscure units that nobody has ever heard of before (yes, that includes a few of you contestants). In terms of the unit itself, not much is out of the ordinary. Your way of rendering the hat and the quiver was clever, that was about it.
Overall Score: 95/150. Not bad, but don't make such a high resolution texture if you're not going to focus on detail or realism. Practice a little more with regular units before trying too many SPC units. Maybe try going back and improving this unit. Judging from your other submission, you can improve upon this.

2. peugeot407's UN soldier

Unit detail: 40/50. Good detail, unfortunately a lot of it was already part of the unit. Then again, it's difficult to make an IGC unit without reusing most of what you were given, so I don't blame you for that. However, the detail you added was sufficient enough to give the unit a suitable look.
Design: 40/50. Once again, not much can be changed in an IGC unit, but your design was innovative enough for me to readily tell the difference between him and Pravar. The camouflage was the most important in distinguishing him, but you went far enough to add more detail. Also, some advice that I use for myself as well (assuming this is a bumpmap I'm seeing), don't use bumpmaps on faces. It just adds weird, unnecessary highlights and shadows that confuses whoever is looking at the unit. Just leave it the base color in the bumpmap.
Creativity/Originality: 40/50. The idea was very new and interesting, though the unit base was not. If you really wanted to make an IGC unit, I can't blame you, but you could have had a lot more freedom with an SPC or a regular unit.
Overall Score: 120/150. Definitely one of the better units here, but a some minor issues just rubbed me the wrong way.

3. alvaro_qc's Mexican Gendarme Officer

Unit detail: 20/50. The overcoat consisted of three readily identifiable colors, modified with no apparent shading. It looks like the whole unit has been done with the pencil tool and the selection marque. In terms of what you designed yourself, not much detail.
Design: 30/50. From a distance, the unit looks okay, you didn't really do much. I would have given more points for the overcoat, but it could have been done in paint for all I can see. Look at the design repeating down the front, and you'll see that the design repeats again, then cuts off abruptly at the bottom of the overcoat. No soldier I know of wore halves of buttons, and it really wasn't too much too fix, but it tells me you didn't really spend much time looking at the unit and evaluating it yourself.
Creativity/Originality: 25/50. I wish I could say better about this category, but I really can't. The idea hasn't been done often, but not very much of it was your work...or at least I didn't notice that it was your work, and in the end, it's what people notice that matters.
Overall Score: 75/150. It would be a shame for me to be wrong when I say that you didn't put very much effort into this unit. It doesn't look like you did, and once again, judging from your other submission, I know you can do better than this.

4. alvaro_qc's Mulazimin

Unit detail: 35/50. The uniform doesn't have much to it, but the details that are there are made very well...possibly because they were actually made by ES (I might be wrong but this looks like an SPC or IGC sepoy). However, I'm still impressed that you were able to take these graphics without any loss in quality.
Design: 45/50. Disregarding any possible recycling, the unit as a whole looks very cool. The golden band around the hat really draws attention to the otherwise plain unit in a good way.
Creativity/Originality: 40/50. Since I've never heard of the unit, I imagine there is some kind of originality to your choice of unit. Desert units are few and far between, and it definitely has a unique look to it.
Overall Score: 120/150. A solid, decent unit, but rather plain. It could definitely use some extra details and some polishing.

5. Glosmostinex's Dragons

Unit detail: 35/50. I can't say there's very much of this, but I really can't expect much of that from an animalistic unit. You did bother to make several different versions, so I suppose that's worth something.
Design: 40/50. I actually think your other screenshot would have improved your standings, as I like the whole fire-breathing idea. In terms of design, I really can't say that much is lacking, and I know how much of a pain non-human units can be to texture properly. From a distance, I really can't see anything wrong with it.
Creativity/Originality: 50/50. It's not AOEIII material, but I could definitely see this as an AOM or cheat unit of some kind. Definitely the most original unit I've ever seen. Period.
Overall Score: 125/150. Not impressive in terms of texture work, mainly because there's not much work to do. This is definitely an example of thinking outside the box, and I really can't complain. I think you broke the system by making such an interesting unit.

6. Argalius's Elite Khwar...khwarazn...? Knight

Unit detail: 50/50. Impressive detail. The detail of the fabric and the armor is superb. I really can't complain much here.
Design: 40/50. It still looks very good as its own unit, but I definitely think you could have changed the original texture a bit more radically. I can clearly see the changes you made, but it just seems like you took out specific sections and replaced them with new texture, without any regards to completely remodel the original spahi.
Creativity/Originality: 35/50. The knight is always a common choice for a unit, but it never seizes to amuse me. Like I said, I would have liked to see some more radical changes to the original texture.
Overall Score: 125/150. In terms of detail, this is by far the most impressive unit here. However, like Tahattus said, I am a bit skeptical of the origins of certain parts. Not a very innovative unit, but it looks great.

7. Linuchadnezzar's Spanish Explorer

Unit detail: 30/50. Perhaps I would not have been so critical of the shield had I not created a far superior version of the third style for my Teutonic Knight a while ago. I can see you paid attention to detail, but mainly on the shields, and with little regard to material, shading, anti-aliasing, or using more than two colors. Once again, this could have been done with the pencil tool alone. Try to use some more tools like Blending Options or Filters to make your designs stand out more.
Design: 25/50. I really can't say how much effort you put into this unit, because from what I can see, not much has changed from the original Spanish explorer except for the pike and shield. The equipment and animation pose looks fine, but I just don't see many worthy changes to the original unit.
Creativity/Originality: 20/50. Aside from the shield, no texture work appears to have been done anywhere. A weapons change can't help you here. It's basically the Spanish explorer.
Overall Score: 75/150. Forgive me for prejudging, but you can do better. If you had devoted as much attention to the body as you did to the shields, this would have been a much better unit. People seem to forget that one of the main goals of unit design is for people not to be able to guess what unit it came from. Anyone can reach that goal, but they just don't bother to.

8. Linuchadnezzar's North-European knight

Unit detail: 30/50. Most of the unit is unchanged, but I can see your attempts at detail in the horse and shield. Seriously, here is a term that you need to take to heart: anti-aliasing. I don't want anymore pencil tool units. Use the line tool for your lines, and the polygonal selection for your shapes. Maybe outline them with a blending effect too. You tried, and I can see that, but you need to utilize more of your graphics tools.
Design: 30/50. It's still an elmeti on a spahi horse. I can still point it out with no hesitation. Try editing your units a bit more thoroughly. It might seem attractive to just change a stripe and say it's a different unit, but it just doesn't work like that. Also, it would have helped if the cloth in the front of the horse had lined up more properly. At least someone had the decency to use playercolors properly this time around. Thank you for that.
Creativity/Originality: 25/50. I can see what you were trying to create here, but unfortunately you just didn't change very much.
Overall Score: 85/150. I'm fairly confident that if you experiment more with your texturing and try to change everything up, you can make much better units. I suppose this is a start, but I recommend practicing some more.

With 8 total entries of a fair variety, this is definitely one of the better modding contests. I've seen a bunch of interesting units, and I can get a good idea of where everyone here lies in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Once again, sorry for the delay.

ESO: Imperius
-Graphic and Unit designer of Napoleonic Era
-Creator of the Unit Upgrades Modpack
-Winner of the AOE3 Heaven Modding Competition
"Your units > ES's units" -- Cherub Walker
Age of Empires: Napoleonic Era - "Be afraid, Ensemble Studios. Be very afraid..."
posted 03-05-08 11:31 PM EDT (US)     108 / 112  
I actually lol'ed at some parts of Tahattus review, Great Lord Tahattus i love your cruelty
posted 03-06-08 00:23 AM EDT (US)     109 / 112  
Nice reviews. I suppose now we just have to pull out an abacus and start tallying up the scores.
posted 03-06-08 01:09 PM EDT (US)     110 / 112  
1 Peugeot UN soldier-----140-----145-----120-----136-----541
2 Argalius Elite Khwaramian-----145-----125-----125-----112-----522
3 Glosmostinex Dragons-----125-----135-----125-----135-----520
4 Alvaro Mulazmin-----125-----120-----120-----136-----501
5 Linus North- European Knight-----135-----130-----85-----136-----486
6 Peugeot Robin Hood-----105-----70-----95-----75-----345
7 Alvaro Mexican Gendarme officer-----70-----55-----75-----100-----300"
8 LinusMedieval Spearman-----70-----65-----75-----65-----275

From left to right: Place, Contestant, Unit, Tahattus, Gibbo, Matthew, General, Total

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ
Modding for: Knights and Barbarians

EMPIRES RISE AND FALL BUT HEROES LIVE FOREVER

[This message has been edited by Linuchadnezzar (edited 03-06-2008 @ 01:16 PM).]

posted 03-06-08 03:34 PM EDT (US)     111 / 112  
I'm really surprised that I'm in first place at your list, because I thought argalius was a few points ahead of me.

Anyways, I want to congratulate everyone who has contested to this contest, as many units competed and they all look awesome. I especially want to congratulate Glosmostinex, as I've never seen such an original unit. Of course thanks to all the judges for doing the hard job of judging these units, and above all my thanks go to gibbo1993, who has once more organized this great contest.

peugeot407

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)
posted 03-07-08 01:19 AM EDT (US)     112 / 112  
Well done Peugeot407 on the great unit, you realy deserved it, also well done to all the other contestants on their great units. Tis contest will not be the last and I am open to different Ideas on how to run it. It will not be for a month or so but keep tuned.

Argalius, if possible could the winners unit be newesed?? anyway thanks again to all the contestants.

gibbo1993
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » The Age of Empires 3 Modding Contest II, Hosted by Gibbo1993
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: