Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Aztec Unit Guide
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10-24-06 05:02 AM EDT (US)   
The Aztec Unit Guide
Updated

I've updated the in-depth section to include unit stats and I rewrote the unit guidelines.

Currently I am playing the Aztec civilization from The War Chiefs expansion and like most players, I was quite confused by the all-infantry Aztec military. What units counter what? What are good unit combinations? How do the units compare to similar European units? I'm writing this guide to answer these questions and more.

Brief overview

The main Aztec military consists of two tiers of three units and one extra unit. Three units in colonial age, three units in fortress age and the skull knight, which can be either shipped in, spawned at fire pit or acquired through an age-up politition.

The 3 colonial age units are all built from the War Hut. They are the Coyote Runner, the Macehualtin and the Puma Spearman. These are the Aztec equivalent of heavy cavalry, light infantry (pre TWC) and heavy infantry respectively.

The 3 fortress age units are built from the Noble Hut. They are the Arrow Knight, the Eagle Knight and the Jaguar Prowl Knight. These are the Aztec equivalent of culverin/mortar, light cavalry and light/heavy infantry respectively.

The Skull Knight is like a slower, more powerful Doppelsoldner.

Aztec counter system

Like any other civ the Aztecs have an effective way of deating any unit class. Although all their units may appear as infantry they do not necessarily act that way. This is a quick rundown of what each unit counters and what it is countered by.

(Note that when I say light infantry I am refering to the pre-War Chiefs light infantry such as skirmishers, strelets etc.)

Coyote Runner
Counters: Light infantry, artillery
Countered by: Heavy infantry, light cavalry

Macehualtin
Counters: Heavy infantry, light cavalry
Countered by: Heavy cavalry, artillery

Puma Spearman
Counters: Cavalry, buildings
Countered by: Light infantry, artillery

Arrow Knight
Counters: Artillery, buildings
Countered by: Heavy cavalry, fast melee infantry

Eagle Knight
Counters: Heavy cavalry
Countered by: Heavy infantry, light infantry

Jaguar Prowl Knight
Counters: Cavalry, heavy infantry

Skull Knight
Counters: Cavalry, buildings

In-depth Unit Analysis

Macehualtin - 40f + 30w
80 HP, 4.5 Speed, 30% Ranged Resist
Ranged attack: 8 damage, 1.5 ROF, 16 range
Melee attack: 4 damage, 1.5 ROF
Bonuses: 1.5 to Heavy Infantry, 1.5 to Light Cavalry

The Macehualtin are the Aztec's main ranged infantry. They are cheap and massable like Russian strelets and can be quite powerful in large numbers. Their 4.5 speed makes hit-and-run possible but not to the level of skirmisher type units due to their small setup time.

Macehualtin are quite fragile and you should keep them away from melee units at all costs. It's definitely worth it to have them protected by a small number of Puma Spearmen or Coyote Runners so they can keep their distance. Macehualtin are not quite up to the standard of the more powerful infantry thus should not constitute your entire army. Use them for countering heavy infantry and light cavalry, nothing more.

Upgrades:
Temple of Ceteotl Support (Age 3 card): +25% HP
War Hut Training (Age 2 card): -40% train time

Coyote Runner - 85f + 25w
150 HP, 6.0 Speed, 10% Ranged Resist
Melee attack: 18 damage, 1.5 ROF
Bonuses: None

The Coyote Runner is the Aztec substitute for heavy cavalry. You should note that they are NOT classed as infantry and as a result they do not receive damage bonuses from falconets or lancers. Other than their appearance, they are identical to melee cavalry in every way and you should think of them as such.

Cost-effectively, Coyote Runners are identical to Russian Cossacks. For 70% the cost of a Cossack they have 70% the attack and 70% the hitpoints. They do have 0.8 less speed but make up for this with their relatively small pathfinding problems.

Like cavalry, Coyote Runners are countered by heavy infantry and light cavalry. However, Coyote Runners receive less of a bonus from these units than normal cavalry. For example, again cavalry pikemen have an attack bonus of 5, but against Coyote Runners they only have 3.5. For this reason, you can think of Coyote Runners as having about 15% more hitpoints when against their counters. This in addition to their good pathfinding makes them excellent for breaking through a meathshield.

In colonial age, Coyote Runners have a card that enables the stealth action. This makes them exceptional raiders and is a must-have for every Aztec deck.

Upgrades:
Coyote Combat (Age 2 card): +20% hitpoints, +10% speed
Silent Strike (Age 2 card): Enables stealth
Temple of Xipe Totec (Age 3 card): +20% damage

Puma Spearman - 50f + 50g
135 HP, 5.0 Speed, 20% Melee Resist
Melee attack: 12 damage, 1.5 ROF
Siege attack: 48 damage, 3.0 ROF
Bonuses: 5 to Cavalry, 3 to Light Infantry (eg. Coyote Runners)

The Puma Spearman is a more or less an improved Pikeman:

• 50% more attack/siege
  • 13% more hitpoints
  • 12% higher cost (in villager seconds)

The main thing to note about the Puma Spearman is his siege. At 48 siege damage they are the second most cost effective siegers in the game, only being topped by the inredibly special purpose Iroquois Ram. Puma Spearman should be abused as much as possible by Aztec players by smashing your opponents houses and taking down outposts that protect enemy settlers. The ultimate turtle-killer.\

Upgrades:
    Temple of Xochipilli Support (Age 3 card): +20% speed

Arrow Knight - 50f + 75g
    150 HP, 3.8 Speed, 40% Ranged Resist
    Ranged attack: 10 damage, 1.5 ROF, 30 range
    Melee attack: 6 damage, 1.5 ROF
    Siege attack: 36, 3.0 ROF
    Bonuses: 5 to Artillery at Range, 2 to Boats with Siege

The Arrow Knight is a very unique unit. It's like a cross between a culverin and a mortar but as infantry. Their main uses are to take out artillery and to take out buildings from outside their attack range. They can attack other units with similar power to the Iroquois Aenna but nowhere near as cost-effectively.

Arrow knights must never be used on their own and should always be protected by some sort of meatshield. Always try to keep them at full range from cannons as they can still be killed very fast like other infantry even though artillery does less to them than normal infantry.

Upgrades:
    Knight Hitpoints (Age 3 card): +15% hitpoints
    Knight Attack (Age 3 card): +15% attack
    Knight Combat (Age 3 card): +15% hitpoints, +15% attack
    Scorched Earth (Age 4 card): +50% siege damage
    Temple of Coatlicue Support (Age 3 card): +20% attack

Eagle Runner Knight - 75f + 75g
    180 HP, 6.0 Speed, 30% Ranged Resist
    Ranged attack: 17 damage, 1.5 ROF, 14 range
    Melee attack: 11 damage, 1.5 ROF
    Bonuses: 2.5 to Heavy Cavalry, 2.0 to Coyote Runners, 0.5 to Settlers at range

The Eagle Runner Knight is the Cetan Bow of light cavalry. High attack, 1.5 rate of fire, decent range and excellent multipliers.

Damage to heavy cavalry in 3 seconds
    Ruyter - 42
    Cavalry Archer - 58.5
    Dragoon - 66
    Eagle Runner - 85
    War Wagon - 126

Note that a War Wagon costs exactly double an Eagle Runner so for the same cost the Eagle Runner would do 170. You should also note that the Eagle Runner is cheaper than both the Dragoon and Cavalry Archer and does more damage to normal (non-heavy cavalry) units as well.

An upgrade that's worthwhile noting is the Temple of Tlaloc Support card in age 3 that gives the Eagle Runner +4 range. This means that they would have a total range of 18 and could even hit and run some ranged infantry. Eagle Runners are definitely something to consider as a strong late game massable unit.

Upgrades:
    Temple of Tlaloc Support (Age 3 card): +4 range
    Ruthlessness (Age 3 card): +1.5 to settler attack bonus

Jaguar Prowl Knight - 120f + 30g
    230 HP, 4.5 Speed, 10% Melee Resist
    Melee attack: 18 damage, 1.5 ROF
    Siege attack: 36 damage, 3.0 ROF
    Bonuses: 3 to Cavalry, 2 to Light Infantry (eg. Coyote Runners) and 2 to heavy infantry

The Jaguar Prowl Knight is a popular unit among the Aztec players. It's the only heavy infantry unit in the game that gets an attack bonus against other heavy infantry. So they beat cavalry in melee and they beat infantry in melee. They are kings of melee in the game (maybe besides Rodeleros). To aid them in getting into melee they come pre-equipped with stealth ability, giving them the means to creep up on the enemy and surprise them with a strong melee assault.

It's worth noting that while the Jaguar Prowl Knight beats most units in melee, it doesn't necessarily beat them most effectively. Elite Puma Spearmen kill cavalry faster and are also better siegers. They also do around the same damage cost-effectively to non-heavy infantry. The Jaguar Prowl Knight is only better against heavy infantry and for their stealth ability.

A common strategy that uses the Jaguar Prowl Knight is the Big Button Rush. The Aztec town center grants the following Big Button technologies:

• 3 Jaguar Prowl Knights for 450f
  • 6 Jaguar Prowl Knights for 450f+450g
  • 12 Jaguar Prowl Knights for 450f+450g+450w

You should note that these technologies give you access to Jaguar Prowl Knights (a fortress age unit) in colonial age. In addition, the units arrive very quickly and do not require you to have any population space to send. These 2 factors make the rush very successful. You should note however that the techs aren't cheap and in Fortress age they are don't really save you any resources compared to just training them from the Noble's Hut.

Great Temple of Quetzacoatl Support (Age 4 card): +25% attack

Skull Knight - 250g
    300 HP, 4.0 Speed, 20% Melee Resist
    Melee attack: 20 (area 2 with 68 cap) damage, 1.5 ROF
    Siege attack: 72 damage, 3.0 ROF
    Bonuses: 3 to Cavalry and 2 to Light Infantry (eg. Coyote Runners)

As mentioned earlier, the Skull Knight can only be obtained from shipments, age up politician and the fire pit in age 4.

Shipments

• Age 3 - 3 Skull Knights
  • Age 3 - 4 Skull Knights
  • Age 4 - 5 Skull Knights
  • Age 4 - 7 Skull Knights
  • Age 4 - 11 Skull Knights + 1 attack area (2000 gold)

Like the Ottoman Spahi, Skull Knights get automatically upgraded upon aging up.

In industrial age, you can spawn Skull Knights from the fire pit. With the firepit maxed out (10 Warror Priests + 15 Settlers) it takes 9.8 seconds to spawn 1 Skull knight, which comes out at around 350 VS. This is not really worth it in my opinion and should be used scarcely.

Great Temple of Huitzilopochtli Support (Age 4 card): +1 area attack

Thoughts
    It's a bit early to say yet but I think that Aztec will have most trouble against civs that can spam effective light infantry such as the British and Russians. The only answer that Aztec have to light infantry is the coyote knight, which are very food heavy. I think against these civs, an Aztecan should aim to rush to keep the game in colonial and outboom his opponent. The Aztecs have a few good colonial military shipments that could give them the upperhand.

Thanks for reading my guide and I hope it helps you get started with my favourite native civ.

If I've made any mistakes then please let me know. I'm open to any constructive criticism too.

- - ESO Name: poita - -
    - - ELO Rating: 2120 - -
    - - Civ: Russia + Dutch - -
    My Aztec Unit Guide (Updated!)

[This message has been edited by poita (edited 11-13-2006 @ 04:16 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 10-26-06 09:33 PM EDT (US)     26 / 41  
    Great job poita, this will help a lot

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    posted 10-29-06 05:02 PM EDT (US)     27 / 41  

Quote:

Coyote Man
    Counters: Light infantry, artillery
    Countered by: Heavy infantry, light cavalry

Arrow Knight
    Counters: Artillery, buildings
    Countered by: Heavy cavalry, fast melee infantry

it'd be better if you replace "light cavalry" with "ranged cavalry" and "heavy cavalry" with "cavalry" or "melee cavalry"

OWN GOAL
    posted 10-29-06 08:15 PM EDT (US)     28 / 41  
    the skull knight is useful against noobs 'cause noobs will try to counter them with light infantry and so get owned

OWN GOAL
    posted 10-29-06 11:53 PM EDT (US)     29 / 41  

Quote:

it'd be better if you replace "light cavalry" with "ranged cavalry" and "heavy cavalry" with "cavalry" or "melee cavalry"

I guess so but they are the same thing. Everyone knows what heavy and light cavalry are right?

Quote:

the skull knight is useful against noobs 'cause noobs will try to counter them with light infantry and so get owned

They shouldn't get owned. Light infantry counter skull knights (if you have enough that is)

posted 11-11-06 01:31 PM EDT (US)     30 / 41  
    you should include unit stats, avaliable upgrades/costs etc.
    posted 11-11-06 04:20 PM EDT (US)     31 / 41  
    polita, i think he ment the *new* LI, so essentially, they are countering them with cav.

MASH
    Just another n00bs opinion
    posted 11-12-06 03:59 AM EDT (US)     32 / 41  

Quote:

you should include unit stats, avaliable upgrades/costs etc.

Will do, but not just now. I've got a maths exam in 2 days and I've got 30 lectures to watch online. Might do it when I take a break.

Quote:

polita, i think he ment the *new* LI, so essentially, they are countering them with cav.

Ah ok. Fair enough. It's a pain trying to discuss counter with people because you never know when they mean skirm type units or coyote runner type units when they say light infantry. I think we should come to some sort of universal agreement on what we should call them

posted 11-12-06 04:14 AM EDT (US)     33 / 41  
    In some other post, some guy called Coyote Runners FKALI (Formerly-Known-As-Light-Infantry) But thats too long...

CI (cav/inf) for the *new* LI and Anti inf inf (or AII) for the *old* LI

Using LI for any of them makes it too confusing

MASH
    posted 11-12-06 10:18 AM EDT (US)     34 / 41  
    Runners, or RI? Both are runners... the new types I mean. Seems a shame not to use the word they have in common.
    posted 11-12-06 12:27 PM EDT (US)     35 / 41  
    I think we should call skirm type units LI and call coyote men and and eagle knights by their actual name.

ESO2: mista_mista
    "Baby, you like shopping? Well, I like sieging town centers and raiding villagers..." -DONofCHRON
    "Then theres the aztecs. With their 35 guys on the pit they can spit out vills faster than george bush can spit out troops into Iraq." -Cookiecrisp13
    posted 11-13-06 04:17 AM EDT (US)     36 / 41  
    I've updated the in-depth section to include unit statistics and a more in-depth analysis

posted 11-14-06 03:08 AM EDT (US)     37 / 41  
    real good work there polita, its great to get some stats into it aswell, shows you how they perform against each other (on paper anyway).

Good Work, Keep it up!

MASH
    posted 11-14-06 06:37 AM EDT (US)     38 / 41  

Quote:

Eagle Knight
    Counters: Heavy cavalry
    Countered by: Heavy infantry, light infantry

Don't they counter light calvary??? I've seen rifle riders get dominated by my knights.

Lamer: FF.
    Me: Why?
    Lamer: Cause you'll be in 1 age ahead of the other guys and have a better eco, plus you can turtle and since its on your TC + couple of towers you can't go wrong.
    Me: Uh, we're on the G Plains, how the heck am I gonna turtle?
    posted 11-14-06 09:58 AM EDT (US)     39 / 41  
    @ poita
    --> I thought the Eagle Knight countered Heavy Cavalry AND Heavy Infantry.

@ Genkai0
    --> Rifle Riders are both Light and Heavy Cavalry, that's why your Eagles own them.

Trying to ping...
    Error #2: Wrong response sent by another user: variable "Pong" not found.
    posted 11-14-06 11:00 AM EDT (US)     40 / 41  

Quote:

Don't they counter light calvary??? I've seen rifle riders get dominated by my knights.

As Arcanjo Zero said, Rifle Riders are a very odd unit in that they are both light AND heavy cavalry. This means that they are countered by heavy infantry, light infantry and light cavalry

Quote:

I thought the Eagle Knight countered Heavy Cavalry AND Heavy Infantry.

Depends how you define counter, here are the stats:

VolleyRangedAttack Damage: 17 (Ranged), ROF: 1.5, Range: 2-14, Bonuses: HeavyCavalry x 2.5, xpCoyoteMan x 2.0, Villager x 0.5

As you can see, they get no direct bonus against heavy infantry but they would beat any heavy infantry (that has < 6 speed) using hit and run. I guess you could argue it but if any heavy infantry gets into melee then your Eagle Knight will die very quickly.

posted 11-16-06 04:37 AM EDT (US)     41 / 41  
    Ok, I see... thanks!

Trying to ping...
    Error #2: Wrong response sent by another user: variable "Pong" not found.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Aztec Unit Guide
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames