Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Sioux Cavalry Cavalcade
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-24-08 09:14 PM EDT (US)   
Introduction:

With the arrival of TAD 1.01, cavalry have seen a comeback. This strategy is an attempt to use the cavalry's speed advantage to it's fullest, and what better civilization to do it with than Sioux? Here's some of...

Sioux's Advantages:
  • No houses necessary. This saves you 2000 wood plus the time it would take to build them (micro and villager-seconds). Your military/villager production will never stall due to insufficient housing.
  • The Bow Rider is able to be produced in the Colonial age, and they have no negative multiplier against villagers. They can be used to counter melee infantry in the colonial age while taking no damage (hit & run).
  • Rifle Riders are the only cavalry which serves as a hard counter to heavy infantry. They are also very versatile, able to counter 3 unit classes (heavy infantry, heavy cavalry and artillery). They are relatively fragile, but fast and ranged.
  • Warchief's +15% speed aura means that your units can outpace the equivalent units of most other civilizations.

The Sioux Cavalry Cavalcade
    Cavalcade - a dramatic sequence or procession

Discovery Age:
  • 2 villagers immediately to hunting.
  • 3 villagers unpack food crates (shift-click 2 of them to hunting).
  • Ship '3 Villagers' as your first card.
  • Age with 14-15 villagers using the 'Chief' (400 Wood).

Transition to Colonial:

• Shift 1-4 villagers to gold (depending on your current gold reserves). Aim to have ~250 by age-up.
  • Shift 1 villager to wood.
  • If hunting is scarce (you should be herding towards TC as normal) ship 9 bison second card.
  • Use your Warchief to scout the enemy. You are looking for things like forward villagers, where the enemy has his villagers, and how many on each resource.
  • When the enemy reaches Colonial Age (before or after you do), scout to check their age-up politician and to see what military building(s) they make.

Colonial Age:

• Collect the 400 wood, build a corral as soon as possible with 4 villagers.
  • Ship '4 Axe Riders' as your next card.
  • Make either Axe Riders (if you scouted a barracks or artillery foundry) or Bow Riders (if you scouted a stable). If building Bow Riders, shift more villagers to gold as needed.
  • Build either a warhut to cover a vulnerable gathering spot, or a market for the hunting/mining upgrades. If you build a warhut, plan on building the market and researching these two upgrades as wood supplies allow.
  • Have your warchief ready at the TC when the 4 axe riders arrive. Send these units to the enemy base to raid. Reinforce this army with your 5 new units from the corral when they arrive.
  • If your enemy built a stable first, use your Bow Riders to hunt down enemy cavalry, raid villagers, and guard their stable (in that order of priority). Retreat and repeat the process if fended off with the proper counter unit.
  • If your enemy built a barracks first, use your Axe Riders to run down ranged infantry, raid villagers, and destroy any unprotected buildings (in that order of priority). Retreat and repeat the process if fended off with the proper counter unit (be careful to stay out of melee range of heavy infantry).
  • Produce additional Axe Riders or Bow Riders as needed or desired.
  • Do not have more than 2 villagers on wood, it is slowest gathered and is not needed at the moment.
  • As needed, ship any of the following cards: '15 Bison' (if hunting is running low), '700 Wood' (if you need Cetans to counter ranged cavalry or a growing mass of Musketeers) '700 Gold' (the preferred shipment, as this assumes you have enough safe hunting and have been keeping their military small), or 'Cavalry Damage'.
  • Age-up with the 'Wise Woman' (12 Bison, 20% Hunting Bonus). Age-up time varies, but generally falls between 9 and 14 minutes to reach Fortress age. Note that constant villager production is assumed throughout this strategy.

Transition to Fortress:

• Shift your villagers as needed between food and gold to produce Rifle Riders & Wakina Rifles once aged.
  • Continue to raid and generally harass the enemy with your cavalry. Produce more military units as resources allow.
  • If you produced Cetans with the '700 Wood' shipment, try to lure the enemy's Musketeers or Ranged cavalry into their ranged fire. Make sure that the Cetans are not alone and vulnerable to a cavalry charge.
  • Your 1-2 villagers on wood will have collected enough for an additional corral, or warhut, or a market and upgrades (if not already upgraded).
  • As an option, if you did not already send the '700 Wood' card, you can ship it in preparation for an additional TC. This is sent in optimal conditions, where you have a shipment to spare and aren't under pressure to ship '5 Rifle Riders' once aged.

Fortress Age:

• Produce Rifle Riders. These units counter heavy infantry, heavy cavalry, and artillery, so you are likely to have a use for them. In most cases, your enemy has produced a defensive force of heavy infantry to fend off your raids.
  • Produce Wakina Rifles. Wakina Rifles cover the one hole in your otherwise cavalry-based army, which is light cavalry. They also help to counter Musketeer-type units which can damage your Rifle Riders (since they have melee resistance and equal range before Caracole from 'New Ways')
  • As needed, ship any of the following cards: '5 Rifle Riders' (usually sent as first card in fortress to counter the enemy army), '9 Wakina', '1000 Wood' (for a TC or two, more corrals/warhuts), 'Cavalry Combat', or any of the 'Support' cards listed below (as gold supplies allow). Also ship Bison as needed.
  • If your enemy has remained in Colonial and built a heavy infantry defense, use your new Rifle Riders and Wakina Rifles to kill their defending units. Keep your Axe Riders ready if they have ranged infantry support. If their army is defeated, raid as much as possible and destroy any undefended buildings.
  • If your enemy has gone to Fortress, be prepared to use your Rifle Riders and/or Axe Riders to destroy any artillery they may have. Rifle Riders work particularly well at this as they can counter at range, and also counter the heavy infantry which often guards them. Your Warchief can also counter artillery well with the firepit's 'Big Button' upgrade (+900% damage versus artillery).
  • Begin to shift some villagers to wood as needed. Research 2 upgrades for wood chopping at the market. Build a Plantation when you can afford to even if it is not needed, as it contains a 25% damage 'Big Button' upgrade for your Wakina Rifles and Rifle Riders.

Final Preparations:

• Boom from your 3 TC's (get 3 if not already built).
  • Continue to raid with your cavalry where/when relatively safe to do so.
  • Send additional Bison cards as needed until you have no more.
  • Build a plantation and farm as wood reserves allow, even if not yet needed. You can upgrade your gathering further and they contain 'Big Button' upgrades. The plantation upgrade is particularly useful to you.
  • Invest in a firepit and place 5-20 villagers on it (depending on your current food reserves). Have your firepit first on Fertility Dance to help expand your economy.
  • Once you have reached your population limit, prepare for assault. Switch your firepit to 'Attack Dance' during battles, and 'Siege Dance' when sieging buildings. When neither attacking or sieging, switch to Fertility Dance or move the villagers off of the firepit (to nearby plantations or farms, for example).
  • Note that your Axe Riders and Wakina Rifles have higher siege damage than normal units in their class. If your enemy is making extensive use of cavalry, consider also producing and upgrading War Clubs (your highest siege unit per population).
  • Consider sending the two shipments to boost your teepee's, as they often prove useful. They can be used for defense, or optimally, dotted around the outskirts of the enemy base to boost your units in likely combat areas.
  • If game time reaches 28 minutes, save up food for your TC's 'Big Button' tech which will ship in 10 Dog Soldiers.
  • Go to Industrial age if needed. Do not remain too long in Fortress if your opponent has reached Industrial. Also, Industrial upgrades help during the final push (but isn't usually necissary).

My Deck:

Discovery Age:

• 3 Villagers
  • 9 Bison

Colonial Age:

• 4 Axe Riders
  • 700 Wood
  • 700 Gold
  • 12 Bison
  • 15 Bison
  • Wind Runner
  • Cavalry Damage
  • New Ways
  • Nomadic Expansion
  • Friendly Territory

Fortress Age:

• 5 Rifle Riders
  • 9 Wakina Rifles
  • 1000 Wood
  • Cavalry Combat
  • Counting Coup
  • Lakota Support (7 Axe Riders & 9 Bison)
  • Sans Arc Support (16 Warclubs & 500 Wood)
  • Santee Support (6 Axe Riders +20% HP)
  • Yankton Support (6 Rifle Riders +20% damage)
  • Two Kettle Support (14 Wakina Rifles +20% HP)

Industrial Age:

• 18 Wakina Rifles
  • Center of Power
  • Command Skill

Final Notes:

I apologize in advance to those who might complain about my prolific writing. Note that the strategy does not usually draw out to the bitter end as the details might imply. Your opponent may decide to resign at any point during the game, starting with your first cavalry charge (if you catch a large number of villagers too far from the TC).

Recordings are pending, I am picky. Note that I am ranked 1st/2nd Leutenant, but I believe this could be viable at higher ranks (in the hands of more skilled players) as well. This strategy benefits highly from good micro, particularly during battles.

Edit- Here is a link to the first recorded game I have deemed relatively acceptable. My First Recording versus 1st Leut French. My opponent goes with a Hussar start, I get some good raiding in early, and the game ends with a little dance between my Axe/Rifle Riders and his Pikes/Crossbows. Wakina were not needed/used in this game, as sometimes is the case.

"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching." - Jack Handey

[This message has been edited by Mune84 (edited 04-26-2008 @ 01:43 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 08-27-08 02:40 AM EDT (US)     26 / 30  
    Great Write up!
    posted 08-27-08 05:32 PM EDT (US)     27 / 30  
    Thx fo your answer :-)
    The strategy, as written, does include measures which can be taken to fight off a rush. But I find that within the range of 5:00 to 7:30, having just a Stables works fine with Sioux. If they decide to produce heavy infantry, which is invariable when performing a rush, then they will have to choose between using them defensively against your raids or going offensive and putting their villagers at risk.
    What measures do you mean? Didn't see any in the guide.

I once though similar as you did: Why even bother making slow cetans/clubs when your stable units can do the same job? But after loosing to a couple of rushes (Iroquise, Aztec). I switched to cetans for pure defence and it just worked far better. The point is you can't achieve as much with your raid as they can achieve with a complete army in your base! If the enemy is smart he won't lose more than 2 vils, if he is very smart he will lose 0. So while you have 4 axes running through his base, forcing him to garrison a few vils from time to time He has 15+Units in your base that can deal with the first 5 BRs you made an force YOU to garrisson all the time, not leaving enough ressources to keep the br production up (which is hard eneough even with a "normal" eco). And after some time your enemy will get your stable=> gg. On the other hand you could have a warhut which acts like a tower and produces cetans that work well vs most rushes as most enemies come with HI/LI. They also cost less and so it's not too hard to keep producing even if you are forced to garrison. You even have 150 wood from your age up left. When you succesfully defended against the rush you can make an army of clubs/cetans to take down his fwed rax.
    As for counter-raiding (being prepared to be raided) your Bow Riders can go a long way. Most will raid with cavalry of course, and you'll know when they are planning it by the presence of a Stables. That's why if you see an enemy Stables as their first military building you produce Bow Riders first. Or if they went Barracks first, just keep an eye out for when they eventually do produce a Stables. I love Bow Riders, very versatile unit.
    100% agree here :-) When your enemiy notices you got brs for defence he will most likely retreat and you can often imagine which way his cav will take ... :-)
    I'd say this strategy counters a booming opponent pretty perfectly. What better way to stop a boom than with incessant raiding? They will eventually get military units, sure, but if they are booming then it will not be quite as high a priority during those critical minutes from 5:00 to 7:30. During this time, you can have 9+ cavalry units swooping through their base, scattering villagers.
    From my experience this often just isn't enough. Brits eg will be able to boom and still have more than enough defending forces/walls to secure every bit of space against your raids. As you asked for a better way: I'd say a rush is a better way (but not for sioux :-( What worked for me is kind of a waterboom (not a real boom as you go no shooners ;-/ ) in combinations with a raiding force or a (semi) FF.

[This message has been edited by XPhoEniX (edited 08-27-2008 @ 05:35 PM).]

posted 08-28-08 10:28 AM EDT (US)     28 / 30  
    @ Giskard-

Look at my military unit count

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
    [Judgε][Epic Thread]
    My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
    "with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
    posted 08-28-08 01:52 PM EDT (US)     29 / 30  
    I had to look at that cookie lmao

What I love about coyotes is you can make them come outta nowhere lol please don't fix that ES

but you have to be in age 4
    posted 08-28-08 02:04 PM EDT (US)     30 / 30  
    CookieCrisp13- I think you posted on the wrong thread. Otherwise, I have no idea what your talking about.

XPhoEniX:

The measures I spoke about for anti rush are the building of a Warhut and shipping 700 wood for Cetans and/or Warclubs. However, it isn't intended to counter a rush which occurs before 7:30, but more for a delayed massing of heavy infantry which could threaten your base. My general experience is that the rushes which come before 7:30 are never strong enough to damage my base much and cause deviation from the strategy. However, it sounds like your experience has been different, probably due to a difference in our PR (or random chance). Of course, this strategy (and all strategies) do not have a 100% success rate, so examples where it might not work so well are inevitable.

From memory, I believe I am 2-0 (win/loss) against the Brits when using this strategy. I haven't really been playing much of AoE3 in a while though, and haven't gotten back into Sioux yet. Anyway, my general conclusion regarding your post is that everyone has a different experience playing AoE3 online, depending on their PR, play style, and random chance. Your points as to when this strategy might fail are certainly valid and make sense, it just isn't what I've generally experienced.

"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching." - Jack Handey
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Sioux Cavalry Cavalcade
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames