You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Spanish Anticav Smash (for team games)
posted 03-10-09 00:56 AM EDT (US)   
Spain has fast shipments, good anticav shipments(age 2), three kinds of anticav(muskets,rods, pikes), and also wardogs(treasure hunting/killing infantry).

These attributes make it a very strong civ to play with as a team mate.
Note: this BO is compatible with nilla and TAD!

This strat works best with a team mate who has good ranged infantry: british(lbows), ottomans(abus), russia (strelets), dutch(skirms), japan(yumi), india (gurkha)

Discovery
-Put 1 villager on each food crate and send rest to hunts
-Build 1 house and make villagers
-Make sure to explore with explorer and dog and get some nice treasures.
-Send 3 vills for total of 15 (sometimes 16 since you can sometimes get a villager treasure if you're lucky )
-age with outpost+gold
-Shipment choiceSend archaic infantry speed training(if playing with a civ that will benefit from it a lot like british) or just save the shipment.

Transition
-Put about 7 villagers on wood and rest on food
-Send 1 villager forward (coordinate Forward base with team mate)
-Build 1 house
-Keep gathering wood to build barracks right when you age (200 wood) and preferably more since you will run out of population quickly.

Colonial
-Build rax asap
-Build house asap(you'll need the pop as you will be spamming a bunch of shipments)
-Gather the age up gold and put ~3 wood vills on coin.
-Shipment ChoiceShipment can be 5 vills(if your team is going to play boomy) or 7 rods (nilla) or 8 pikes(TAD) if both of you are going to attack asap.

-From your barracks start by training rods and use your wood to build houses, keep making sure you don't run out.
-Keep making villagers, you can send 5+4 villager shipments to get your eco strong
-From here on you can chose to keep making rods and pikes or make some muskets or age fortress or send ATP +stagecoach and get the trade posts (makes TP 120 wood on RE patch TAD), it's all up to you and your team mate.

IMO rods are the best anticav you can make in age 2 (with the exception of age 2 ranged cav: BR, zams, and possibly port early goons) they are really fast and can also be used against ranged infantry(since they have weak hand attack). They can actually kill lame bow riders!111 Therefore I like making mostly rods at first and then add in some pikemen if you need siege or perhaps ship in 700 wood for some hussars or 700 food/gold for age up to fortress.

After some colonial fighting, it is often great to send 700 food/gold and go fortress since your opponents will most likely have stopped cav production since rods pretty much stop cav in its tracks. Therefore ship 5 lancers(4 lancers if on TAD) +build 5 lancers for 10 lancers soon after aging to decimate their ranged infantry with the help of your team mate's ranged infantry and your rods/pikes
Alternatively if you still have many rods you can ship in 2 falconets which will do very nicely early fortress before culvereins come if well defended by rods.

Tips
-Use your units effectively, with pikes, try to take down buildings(preferably military buildings or houses) whenever you can. Also remember that rods are very quick, so they can be used for raiding as well.
-Rods have .4 MR, so by all means use them as a meat shield for your team mate's units. Additionally sending small groups of them to attack the enemy's ranged units is quite effective as it forces the units into melee so that your team mate's ranged infantry is able to shoot them down better.
-Whenever you use pikes consider putting them in cover mode so they can survive ranged damage better, however switch them into melee to catch/stop cav since they are faster in melee.
-Remember to use your wardogs, they are really awesome vs ranged infantry which lack a strong hand attack and also do decent vs musket type units (also they might soak up some damage that would otherwise be put at your rods)
-Try this out with a team mate (preferably ottos for abus, but russia, brits, and japan are also very strong with this) and have some fun!!!

What should your team mate do? well take a look at what ottos(on vanilla) could do with spain : http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=15,37068,0,10

QUACK

[This message has been edited by crazyLUNATIC (edited 12-29-2009 @ 07:36 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-10-09 01:14 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
Cool BO. I'll add a link from my abus gun bo to yours if you don't mind

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret
posted 03-10-09 01:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Cool BO. I'll add a link from my abus gun bo to yours if you don't mind
ya i'll do the same

QUACK
posted 03-10-09 01:43 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
From my experience 7 on wood is not enough during transition, especially when you pop yourself straight after aging with the 8 pike shipment.
I also find tower and 200 gold to be inferior to 500 food.
A tower isn't really much use very early unless you are getting rushed.

some noob: Still - You need to use correct punctuation and grammar if it's going to be excepted.
posted 03-10-09 02:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
200 gold can be used for rods immediately, sending rods first will save a bit of population at the beginning, the outpost can be put forward as a shipment drop off point for a faster attack and can also protect hunts/fb.

IMO for spain especially outposts are nice since you can send your pikes/rods/age 3 shipments from there rather than having them arrive at your tc.

I find ~7 on wood fine since i tend to aim for wood treasures+ also build rods as first batch to save some wood for more housing.

QUACK

[This message has been edited by CrazyLunatic (edited 03-10-2009 @ 02:29 AM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Spanish Anticav Smash (for team games)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames