Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide To All Guides
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
posted 10-22-09 09:13 PM EDT (US)   
The Guide to all Guides

As my 1000th post, I know decide that I will hopefully change advance the community for good (AKA earn a sticky).
I don’t know about all of the forummers, but I know that I certainly have not tried out every civilization in the game to a high degree, know many complex strategies with these civilizations, or even know what civilizations are weak or strong against some others. Knowing the play styles and strategies of all the civilizations is essential to becoming better at this game, since it is all about prediction and countering appropriately.

With that said, people like me, who do not know what each civilization is capable of to the most precise degree, are at somewhat of a disadvantage. Now what I knew exactly what my opponent will do and exactly what I should do to counter it? I would most likely win the match. This is where this guide comes into play.
What exactly is this guide? It will be a collection of the most popular and effective strategies for each civilization, each with its appropriate counters and strengths. This way, anybody using or playing against these strategies will know generally what the most efficient way to defeat it is, even if they are supposedly at a disadvantage by it. That’s some pretty valuable information.

But there’s one problem. I obviously do not have all of the information necessary to complete this guide. So this is why I call on you, the forummers, to help me complete this guide, for the good of all the other forummers.

Here’s the Basic Setup.

Civ Name & Abbreviation (Civ Abrrev. this civ is good against) (Civ Abbrev. this civ is bad against)
Strat Link Type of Strategy(most useful against these civs/strats) (least useful against these civs/strats)
Helpful hints for strategy above that are otherwise not provided, or a concise write up for the strategy if is a recording, not a write up
Same as above, et cetera, et cetera.
Short strategies that are particularly effective against civs that this civ has trouble with.

So, to start, there will be no strategies on here other that Cookie’s and Parfait’s Crossbow Contain VODs, since these are the only two sources I have really very useful. Anyways, to submit a strategy, just link it to the thread. I would like to limit off-topic posting as much as possible. Links and anything regarding the strategies is fine. I’ll also need you to tell me what civilizations are at an advantage or disadvantage to others, since I am fairly uninformed on the matter.
So to start us off...

Aztec (AZ) (CH)(DU)(RU)(SX)
Guides
Aztec Colonial Guide - [Rush] - A guide discussing the several options for the Aztecs in colonial. (FF) (BOOM)
Aztec Rush Bluff Semi-FF - [InfSemi] - This strategy takes advantage of the 'Aztec Rush' concept by furthering it to a quick age-up.

British (BR) (DU)(JA)
Guides
Rise to the British Empire - General and very thorough guide to the British

Strategies
The British Hussar Musket Combo - Well written guide to an early Hussar/Musket Combo
21 Musket Rush - [Rush] - Very hard musket rush utilizing very early 2 barracks
The British Musket Sting - Similar to 21 musket rush with only 1 barracks
Brit Native Rush A Nilla strat which takes advantage of the wood cost of natives, the natives treaty card, and the british longbow, for a versatile unit combination.

China (CH)(AZ)(IQ)
Guides
Basics of China An almost all-encompassing China guide, with details on the consolate, banner armies, cards, and more.

Strategies
Basic China Colonial - By the modest 1x1
Basic China FF - [FF] - By the modest 1x1

Dutch (DU)(PO) (JA) (SX) (IQ) (IN) (BR) (AZ)
Guides
The Rise of Amsterdam V2 - A good overview of the dutch civ with some nice strats.

Strategies
Mrmilo Dutch FF! - [EcoSemi] - The classic 3 bank ff, great strat! (FF) (BOOM)
2 Dutch Semi-FF's Very strong semi-ff strats (FF) (BOOM)
Dutch Defensive Skirms The basics of a Dutch Rush Defense, based on using you buildings as a sheild for your skirmishers. (INF)

French (FR) (PO)(SP)(JA)
Guides
A Guide to the French by __Sephiroth__ - General guide, containing many French strats contained in the other guides as well as some general French strategy tips
Crazymoose's Guide de la France - General guide, containing many French strats contained in the other guides as well as some general French strategy tips

Strategies
Cuirs are cool, the French Cavalry Semi-FF - [CavSemi]- Incognoto's semi- ff with hussars (CH)(RU) (FF) (BOOM)
French Hussar Semi-FF - [CavSemi] - iTech64's semi- ff with hussars, slightly different from Incy's (CH) (RU) (FF) (BOOM)
French 2x Muskets - [Inf] - iTech64's musket rush, especially good on vanilla since not many civs have anything that counters muskets without micro in colonial (CAV)
French 2x Xbow Rush - [Inf] - iTech64's xbow rush. A good general BO, but I would put ~10 cdb on wood in transition instead of the 7 he advises. (IQ)(IN)(OT)(INF)
The PHAT or Hussar Start starts you off with in colonial with hussars instead of infantry, which can be eaqsily added later.
10 Musket Semi- FF - [InfSemi] - My 10 musket semi- ff, good against civs that are going to rush with xbows (vanilla), hussars/musket, hussar semi-ff, pure musket/pure hussar rush and booming strategies. (BOOM) (CAV) (CAVSEMI)
Demonstrating 3 French BOs. 3 very good strats to start out with france. A full hussar start which add bows later, a start in which u get pikes + hussar out real quick to counter all 5 hussar semi's and a strat for a 5 hussar semi with dual stable and 2nd hunt upgrade.

German (GM)(SP)(PO)
Cookie's Xbow Contain VOD [Inf] (INF)
Parfait's Xbow Contain VOD [Inf] (INF)

India (IN)(DU)(JA)
Guides
India Guide featuring a few strategies, such as the ones below along with a FF and KarniColonial
Strategies
10/10 - [Inf] - One of the RE patch top strats; a very fast, hard hitting rush. (SEMI) (FF)(BOOM)(CAV)
The Indian Tower of Doom An Indian strategy created to aide the India non-lameness of the FP.

Iroquois (IQ) (SP)(DU)(JA)(RU)
Iroquois BB Rush - [Inf] - James146's guide to the lame Iro BB rush, the premier lame Iro strategy. (SEMI)(BOOM)(FF)(CAV)
Iroquois SemiFF Discussion - The dawn of the FanPatch and higher-tier players prove the BB rush obselete: an alternative SemiFF gives some strategy variety (BOOM)(RUSH)

Japan (JA) (PO) (BR) (RU) (OT) (IQ) (IN) (FR) (DU)
Guides
Japanese Colonial Guide A guide brought to you be Bart which shows this civ's strengths, weaknesses, and what-to-do's

Strategies
Japanese Shrine Boom - [Boom] - The ultimate lame 1.01a strat, strong vs civs who FF or Boom. (FF)(BOOM)
Japanese Consulate Strat Strong strat for defending rushes, or to rush. Can be done with yumi/clubs or ashi/shinobi
Japanese FI NOT A GIMMICK STRAT. Very popular in the Asian community. And you know how those Asians are...

Ottoman Empire (OT) (JA) (PO) (SX)
Guides
Rise of Istanbul: A Guide to the Ottomans Sepiroth's general guide to the Ottomans. Outdated, but full of general concepts for the Ottomans.
An Ottoman Winter - A beginners Guide to the Ottomans Voodoo Boss' general guide to the Ottomans. Outdated, but full of general concepts for the Ottomans.

Strategies
Spahi Fast Fortress - [FF] - Appreciate the true power of Ottoman cavalry with this FF. Crippling to some rushes. (RU)
Ottoman Jan/Abus Rush - [Inf] - Fairly recent strong rush with very early Jan/Abus combo (INF)
8 Hussar Start - [Cav] - An effective way to stray away from Jan Rushing, meant for early large raids and fending of RI defense.
Otto Semi FI - A strategy mainly used for when you don't plan to be attacked hard early on, so that you get extremely strong Spahi/Great Bombards out with shipments.

Portugal (PO) (OT)(SP) (DU) (FR) (GM) (JA)
Guides
Micky Tee's Guide to Portugal A great guide to learn the basics and the advanced strategies of Portugal gameplay

Strategies
Husky's Port Strat - [Cav] A full hussar start for ports
Sami's Strat - Straight FF (VOD)

Russia (RU) (JA) (SX) (AZ) (IQ)
Guides
The Russian complete Guide General Guide to Russia with unit stats and card comparison. Includes 3 strats aswell.
Settler Correlation - Russia My own "spreadsheet" to help you build an economy to fit your needs rather specifically, reegardless of villager count.

Strategies
The RUMM Rush - [Inf] - A musket heavy rush for Russia. Can work well vs cavalry starts (VAN) (SX)(GR(FR)(CAV)(CAVSEMI)
Musket Cossack Rush - [Inf] - My own concoction; exactly as it sounds. A rush with Muskets and Cossacks in the begining.(SX)(GR(FR)(CAV)(CAVSEMI)
The Russian WAR - [Cav] - Another of my own strategies, which uses Russia's cavalry to start. (CH)(RU)(AZ)(SP)(FR)(INF)
Russian Strelet+Cossack Rush - [Inf] - Solid Russian old school rush going for an early blockhouse+stable
Manchu FF - [FF] - Tired of pesky fortress cavalry and cannons stomping your colonial army? This FF is the answer!

Spanish (SP)(PO)(FR)(GM)(IQ)
Spain ATP Semi FF on Mongolia Semi FF guide designed for Mongolia, but works on any TP heavy map really.
Spanish FF BO - [FF] - Basic FF by Droideka. Not as strong as in Vanilla, but still one their best strategies.
SpaColi! - [Boom] - Named and created by Incogonoto, this strategy bypasses the usual FF for an upgraded economy with harassment and/or defense.
Spain Rodelero 2v2 Though weak on their own, Rodeleroes are a great with sturdy RI company.
Spain Eco Semi The 331 dutchies give us an eco-strong start with a varied finish!

Sioux (SX) (OT) (RU) (DU)(AZ)
Guides
Sioux Survival Guide: The Last Stand An overall guide to sioux with the generic strategies written for each, including FF, Club rush, ottoman strangle, etc.
A European Invasion: Beginners guide to the Sioux Another overall guide, with Cetan rushes and Fast Fortresses.

Strategies
Sioux Power Fortress - [EcoSemi] - A strategy that gets you to fortress early with a great economy and many shipments
The SPAR - [Inf] - Asko's Sioux Pistolerro rush can be used in mirrors, orr against brits, ottos, russians, for major success at any level. (BR)(RU)(OT)(SX)
The Sioux SAFF - [CavSemi] - A semi Fast Fortress that has you raiding with 9 axe and getting to fort soon afterward.
The Sioux Cavalry Cavalcade Has you fighting in colonial with bow riders and axes, then in fortress with Rifle Riders and Wakinas

2v2
Francisco Franco Surprise - [Inf] - Don't doubt it. Despite its appearance as a nooby 2v2 pike rush, it wrecks.

Closing Notes
This is also a great time to write up any strategies you have been writing up or write up commonly used build orders that don't have a write-up yet. I will be trying stuff too with civilizations I can play well.

[This message has been edited by O_man0 (edited 11-29-2010 @ 06:13 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-11-09 07:37 PM EDT (US)     76 / 151  
main port units are cassa, goons and organs. Problem of ports vs france is that france is better at everything, better rush, better ff and they can also start a 3 tc boom in age3. So when france doenst waste all his units in a stupid attempt to kill the 3 port tc's they will win.

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Battle.net:Bart (227)
ESO:Bart331
posted 11-11-09 09:15 PM EDT (US)     77 / 151  
Ports have better water boom^ ^. The ports can set up a 3 tc boom faster than france, and if played right ports can beat them. I will definately agree on French advantage here though.

ESO name: wonkwink
posted 11-12-09 12:17 PM EDT (US)     78 / 151  
Not on FP.

But on RE every civ except Spain > Ports.
posted 11-13-09 07:20 AM EDT (US)     79 / 151  
first off, ports are only mid tier in the 30+ PRs (TAD), when extreme micro to pump out unfair amounts of vils beats their obvious downfalls of affording constant vils, and not having a decent military till age 3, and having to afford a rax, stable, and art foundry. So at our level, im afraid they kinda suck

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
posted 11-13-09 08:04 AM EDT (US)     80 / 151  
port suck on every pr level ^^, the only reason they can win is because they have much more skill then their opponent

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

posted 11-13-09 10:14 PM EDT (US)     81 / 151  
btw china pwns all civs except natives
posted 11-14-09 12:18 PM EDT (US)     82 / 151  
posted 11-14-09 12:57 PM EDT (US)     83 / 151  
btw china pwns all civs except natives
dutch, russia, india, japan

QUACK

[This message has been edited by crazyLUNATIC (edited 11-14-2009 @ 12:58 PM).]

posted 11-14-09 06:57 PM EDT (US)     84 / 151  
on fp dutch can beat them but on RE i have to agree with dopple

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

posted 11-14-09 07:14 PM EDT (US)     85 / 151  
china FF> dutch
8ckn> india 10/10
china mass> japan

and russia is tricky but you should be able to handle it with standard army.
posted 11-15-09 01:15 AM EDT (US)     86 / 151  
on fp dutch can beat them but on RE i have to agree with dopple
idk i have a pretty hard time vs jonesk's dutch (i think he even beat nubxnub's china with them lol)
skirms+hussar seems to do quite well vs colonial army. However china's fortress army rox compared to dutch's fortress right 1x1

india 10/10 > china rush IMO ship 4 sowars and they'll rape like 20 CKN not to mention those gay indian monks like stun your CKN for a couple seconds :/

and IMO japan has a chance if they concentrate more on military (ex: ship yumi asap instead of 700 w for booming)

russia vs china can go either way IMO. Strelet+musk+cossack can be pretty annoying for china to beat back since their qiang aren't that great and china won't outmass russia that easily XD

QUACK

[This message has been edited by crazyLUNATIC (edited 11-15-2009 @ 01:18 AM).]

posted 11-15-09 11:53 AM EDT (US)     87 / 151  
4 sowars get raped by monk+disciple+tc fire and monks are easily microed out
posted 11-22-09 09:18 AM EDT (US)     88 / 151  
Why is this down here without a sticky?
posted 11-22-09 09:50 AM EDT (US)     89 / 151  
Lol it just happens

just keep producing strats and itll get up there guys

1st Leiut. with Russia , Master Sergeant with everything else.
My skill level is incalculable!!! Its been forever since I played seriously...
Mike Sass: Culverins are like Garrichistos, only theyre cannons.
posted 11-22-09 01:31 PM EDT (US)     90 / 151  
Why is this down here without a sticky?
ya lol such a shame

QUACK
posted 11-23-09 02:28 PM EDT (US)     91 / 151  
Stuck

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 11-23-09 02:37 PM EDT (US)     92 / 151  
Rad

You guys can expect a couple more Russian Strats on here too in the next week or so, just need a few more test runs.

posted 11-23-09 03:42 PM EDT (US)     93 / 151  
gratz O_nub. Few things tho, definitely get more german strats, I would post an outlaw strat along with a rush.

Also, there are a few non-outdated iro FFs, just because only thing ppl do with Iros is their lame bb rush, doesn't mean that's the only thing you can post

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
posted 11-23-09 05:45 PM EDT (US)     94 / 151  
Iknows I knows. I actually hate when iros FF on me. OP 5 cuir shipment wrecks the RI army i create when i hope for a BB rush

Yeah I know I need some more strats, Im working on it.

posted 11-23-09 06:03 PM EDT (US)     95 / 151  
scout o_mano

shall i make a guide to jap or dutch laming?

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

posted 11-23-09 06:08 PM EDT (US)     96 / 151  
shut up

and yes, twould be much obliged. I guess after a few more strats ill make complete guide thing for Russia.

posted 11-23-09 07:07 PM EDT (US)     97 / 151  
Please make more german strats.I'd appreciate if people would make youtube VODs also.In fact,i think i saw bart331 make a few,but i cant find them now .
edit:for some reason i can only watch youtube movies.anything else is laggy.

When did ignorance become a point of view?-Scott Adams
One day as I sat musing,alone and melancholy without a friend,there came a voice out of gloom saying'Cheer Up,things might be worse.'And sure enough,things got worse.

[This message has been edited by morgoth93 (edited 11-23-2009 @ 07:10 PM).]

posted 11-23-09 08:09 PM EDT (US)     98 / 151  
Nice sticky;D

I guess I should come up with some stuff to post...

Edit: I also object to brits beating ports. I wouldn't say ports > brits but I think brits definately have no advantage.

ESO name: wonkwink

[This message has been edited by wonkwink (edited 11-23-2009 @ 08:13 PM).]

posted 11-23-09 08:39 PM EDT (US)     99 / 151  
I'll to it wahhh.

BTW, these strats dont have to be extremely original. Just a lot of the good, common strats dont have writeups.

posted 11-24-09 03:51 AM EDT (US)     100 / 151  
Edit: I also object to brits beating ports. I wouldn't say ports > brits but I think brits definately have no advantage.
what are ports gonna do to stop the british boom? Main port unit = dragoons, main brit unit is lbow?

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Guide To All Guides
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames