The Saloon (Off Topic)
Moderated by Maffia, Elpea, LordKivlov

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Forum posts and Grammar my thoughts
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 12-29-05 10:18 AM EDT (US)   
I agree when someone types a post thats completely un readable one can flame him/her. However Ive had it with people complaining about spelling or using to instead of too.

Its out of control poeple. Why do you care if you still know with very little effort what that person is trying to say? Are you just a troll with nothing better to reply with besides flameing his grammar?

Are you reading posts that you have no intrest in but yet you feel the need to post? Im a man of math and for some reason god stripped me of my ability to properly use the English language. In fact the only D I ever got in my life was in Spanish II in college. Shit, if I dont know wtf a past participle is in Englich how the hell can I learn the Spanish words? So, when someone spells something wrong or has slightly inproper sentence structure please stfu.

My final point is, I love reading and posting in these forums on all types of posts. When someone abbreviates please with plz, gonna instead of going to, wtf for what the **** they are saving themselves time so back off of them to. Its a god damn post on a forum not a freaking term paper. RELaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of lifes problems

Homer J

Replies:
posted 12-29-05 10:22 AM EDT (US)     1 / 55  
Usually when people point out the occasionally error, it's for comedic reasons. We get pissed off when we see posts, for instance, in 1337/AOL/Chat speak, or without a comma, capital letter or fullstop in sight.

Silk
Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
OMGWTFBBQ
posted 12-29-05 10:35 AM EDT (US)     2 / 55  
Although the occasional stfu and lol (although some people use it wrongly) should be allowed, IMHO.
(That should also be allowed)
I also hate 'u' (although it's polite in the Dutch language), 2 (an alternative to to(o) ?) and other such things.

English maybe isn't your (not ur!) native language (it isn't mine), you can at least type proper English, not weird chatspeak.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Corn for the Corn God!
posted 12-29-05 11:09 AM EDT (US)     3 / 55  
u gus shol rely stopp picin on me spelin
posted 12-29-05 11:11 AM EDT (US)     4 / 55  
And remember kids, The Moon isn't a Plane Tit, it's a Sattelite

Silk
Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
OMGWTFBBQ
posted 12-29-05 11:26 AM EDT (US)     5 / 55  
Maybe people reply to a thread correcting someone's spelling (even if it's only one mistake) because it's a +1 for their post count, I think it's pointless because it's only one mistake.

(˘•٠˛••°ˉˆ˚°¤ ̬ ¤°˚ˆˉ°••˛٠•˘)
-o˚°o¤ Red Beard ¤o°˚o-
ˆ˚°”-•٠o•|^|•o٠•-“°˚ˆ
posted 12-29-05 11:28 AM EDT (US)     6 / 55  
Yes^^ when it is one mistake (...if its an enormous mistake it can be different) there is no point.

When people write like U_Spawn_U however it is a different situation.

I know this is directed at me you ****tard.

Quote:

Its out of control poeple. Why do you care if you still know with very little effort what that person is trying to say?

Because it's ugly, repulsive and insulting to me as well as several other forummers. They could at least try to Spell correctly and have proper grammar. All I ask is that they try.

Quote:

Are you just a troll with nothing better to reply with besides flameing his grammar?

I could always flame them for other reasons, I don't need to flame for there spelling. See above for reasons though.

Quote:

Are you reading posts that you have no intrest in but yet you feel the need to post?

Flaming =/= spamming

Quote:

Im a man of math and for some reason god stripped me of my ability to properly use the English language.

I appear to use it well enough for me although you are a religious nutcase.

Quote:

In fact the only D I ever got in my life was in Spanish II in college.

*Applause* WELL DONE!

Quote:

Shit, if I dont know wtf a past participle is in Englich how the hell can I learn the Spanish words?

IMO you needn't know the names of words as such; Knowing that a word is a verb or a noun is not needed (although it does help you learn) what is important is that you know how to use it, now what to use. "Why" and "How" are always more important than "What."

Quote:

So, when someone spells something wrong or has slightly inproper sentence structure please stfu.

Kindly tell me how you would make me "STFU"

Quote:

My final point is, I love reading and posting in these forums on all types of posts.

People can have different styles of writing personal clichés and the such. They needn't all spell things differently and have different grammar.

Quote:

When someone abbreviates please with plz, gonna instead of going to, wtf for what the **** they are saving themselves time so back off of them to.

They are also making them selves look like lazy retards. This is a forum not a chat room, you can take time to make posts not just abbreviate everything to "get it over with" People with that attitude often end up spamming.

Quote:

Its a god damn post on a forum not a freaking term paper. RELaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxxxx.

It's a god damn forum not a chat room.

This post has taken me 7-10 minutes to write out. And it is much friendlier on the eyes.

If you want a forum that spelz lik a freeken forth grader had bad grammer and all everything thing else go to another forum.That was difficult to speak like that...

Please shut the **** up.

[This message has been edited by ArcticWind7 (edited 12-29-2005 @ 11:30 AM).]

posted 12-29-05 11:43 AM EDT (US)     7 / 55  

Quote:

un readable

unreadable

Quote:

Ive

I've

Quote:

Its out of control poeple

Quote:

adj. The possessive form of it.

Used as a modifier before a noun: The airline canceled its early flight to New York.

You want "It's"

Quote:

flameing

flaming

Quote:

Im

I'm

Quote:

Englich

English

Quote:

inproper

improper

Quote:

off of them to.

I think too would be better.

Quote:

Its a god damn post

Once again you want "It's"

I have left out commas etc

See, this kind of stuff above(refering to the these pedantic corrections, not the actual errors) is mostly people being annoying and pedantic, you really don't see it often. They could be anything from hitting the wrong key to actually not knowing the word. But if you do see this I don't really see it as a problem, it is a good chance to learn the proper spelling (although you should check to make sure you are right first) and if you were right they look silly.

Also abbreviations like "u" and "plz" are just lazy and rude. If people wish to use them, that is fine but it will reflect negatively on them.

Quote:

Because it's ugly, repulsive and insulting to me as well as several other forummers. They could at least try to Spell correctly and have proper grammar. All I ask is that they try.

We have a langauge for a reason, and not using it properly only erodes your communication abilities.

I should also point out when signing up, you agreed to obey the CoC.

Quote:

English is the official language of our forums because it is the common language between our moderators and users

"u", "plz", "2" as far as I know, are not words in the english language; and if they are I doubt they would make sense in their context.

[This message has been edited by Centurion_13 (edited 12-29-2005 @ 02:00 PM).]

posted 12-29-05 11:50 AM EDT (US)     8 / 55  
The name forum does imply certain lofty aspirations for this medium. A few missed capitals, punctuation marks, or even sentences that seem to go on forever are all right, this is a somewhat stream-of-consciousness medium, but in general, a good use of the English language is preferable. Personally, I don't correct grammar to flame, I hope that the person will recognize the mistake, and try to correct it in the future.

The convoluted wording of legalisms grew up around the necessity to hide from ourselves the violence we intend toward each other. Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. You have done violence to him, consumed his energy. Elaborate euphemisms may conceal your intent to kill, but behind any use of power over another the ultimate assumption remains: "I feed on your energy."
-Frank Herbert, Dune
posted 12-29-05 11:56 AM EDT (US)     9 / 55  

Quote:

Personally, I don't correct grammar to flame, I hope that the person will recognize the mistake, and try to correct it in the future.

I never would have changed without the help of people flaming me. Small errors people will out grow but it will take a while for people to out grow chat speak.
posted 12-29-05 12:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 55  

Quote:

However Ive had it with people complaining about spelling or using to instead of too.

I agree. Again, this is just a forum trend here man. People on this forum have no personality. They copy each other- this grammar thing is just another part of this trend.

In general, any oppurtunity to be immature, sarcastic and 'flammatory' at the same time is considered golden.

[This message has been edited by Gaurdian_112 (edited 12-29-2005 @ 12:23 PM).]

posted 12-29-05 12:36 PM EDT (US)     11 / 55  
Arctic in no way was this post directed at you personally. Im glad you think so highly of yourself that you think I would create a topic just for you

I post much like I talk with my friends. Granted Im from the southside of Chi-Town and people from Chicago aren't known for their proper language. I get my point across better by swearing and yelling then I do using proper English and "Appearing" to know wtf Im talking about. Granted im in the crane business so the poeple I deal with think a lot like me.

I prefer short and simple not long drawn out boring professional garbage. As for words that I may use that aren't in the dictionary I dont give a shit if any word I use is "proper" who the **** determines that anyway. The people determine meaning not some some book written by some jack-ass with a degree in English. How long was it before they acknowldged aint as a word? Those dipshits tried very hard to rid the language of the word but to no avail.

Homer J

posted 12-29-05 12:39 PM EDT (US)     12 / 55  
Is it really faster to type "u" instead of you? I've grown up foruming and using instant messaging but the abbreviations are still significantly harder to read. I certainly don't have the best grammer largely due to the stream of consious nature that even my forum posts take on. But you do get a chance to read your posts before putting them up. I don't care how insightful comments are. If I have to mentaly do the pheonetic interpretation of a post I'm likely to think less of the post because the author was too lazy (or trying to be 1337) to make their point clear.

If you've even done some rather indepth research into a new, complicated subject, it's sort of like that. Authors assume their audience knows most everything they didn when they started the project and so you have to work to make all the connections what what you already know.

How bad do we really let people abuse the language? http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,27686,,all

All that said, instand messaging is a different kind of communication and the rules are a little different. Just like between email and hand writen letters. I'm sure i've made at least a dozen mistakes above but I did read it once befor posting which seems to be a lot more than most.

NerVe Clan
SMF AoE3 Recorded Game Data Mod

[This message has been edited by Flammifer (edited 12-29-2005 @ 03:16 PM).]

posted 12-29-05 01:04 PM EDT (US)     13 / 55  
Mokon is a terrible with english.
posted 12-29-05 01:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 55  
Dio used to be funny, but now he makes grammar mistakes on purpose (attention seeking).
posted 12-29-05 01:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 55  
Wavesuave was right about you Gaurdian.
posted 12-29-05 01:22 PM EDT (US)     16 / 55  

Quote:

See this kind of stuff above is mostly people being annoying and pedantic, you really don't see it often.

Sadly, in your flaming frenzy you somehow managed to make a mistake you were flaming for. It is "See, this...", not "See this".

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diem nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut lacreet dolore. In the middle of a room stands a suicide. Magna aliguam erat volutpat. Ut wisis enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tution ullam corper suscipit lobortis. Eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum delenit au duis dolore te feugat nulla facilisi. I began at awareness.
posted 12-29-05 01:52 PM EDT (US)     17 / 55  
I was not flaming, I was using it as an example.
I should also point out that Flaming ≠ Correcting. If I were flaming him I would be making derogitory claims against him.

And thank you for finding that error, I shall now go and correct my mistake.

[This message has been edited by Centurion_13 (edited 12-29-2005 @ 01:58 PM).]

posted 12-29-05 02:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 55  
plz clos tis thed b4 it getzz 2 outa hand

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 12-29-05 02:27 PM EDT (US)     19 / 55  
I care about spelling and grammar because I care about the English language.

posted 12-29-05 03:13 PM EDT (US)     20 / 55  

Quote:

gonna instead of going to

Actually doing that is not wrong regardless (or irregardless in the spirit of the thread). Gonna is a conversational use of going to and may be used to generate several rhetoric effects.

Is this spread spawned from me calling out your fine use of
"through"? I wouldn't of done it, but you made me do it. Until John Fox benches him Jake Delhomme is my quarterback and I will defend him even if it means calling out the literary inept.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
posted 12-29-05 05:34 PM EDT (US)     21 / 55  
I care about spelling and grammar because I care about the English language.

----------------------------------------------

Thats some funny shit right there. My favorite part of the English language is the part I cant even use here. The single greatest word in the history of words is F**K. There is no arguing this FACT. Now, why is it the greatest word in the English language well how about the fact that it can be used as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, and anything else you want it to be.

So, why does that make it the greatest words cause it has so much percieved meaning. Yet this great word isnt considered "proper" well **** that. At what point in time and what sick SOB determine wtf a swear word is.

Homer J

[This message has been edited by Seancahn (edited 12-29-2005 @ 05:35 PM).]

posted 12-29-05 05:39 PM EDT (US)     22 / 55  
Your "fact" is incorrect. **** is not the best word in the English language.

Versatility does not make it the best word. It's the sound that is important, not whether you can ram it into any sentence under the sun.

posted 12-29-05 05:40 PM EDT (US)     23 / 55  
I don't see many people who flame people that are past the level of 'ur' and 'OMGLOLROFL' (like Gaurdian hint hint). And I don't either. And I'm a grammar nazi. Although, I am getting an urge to correct the errors in your post simply because you're complaining about grammarnazism. Also:

Quote:

When someone abbreviates please with plz, gonna instead of going to, wtf for what the **** they are saving themselves time

Ahahaha. Riiiight. U saves so much time. I mean, come on, how long can it take to write two more letters? Have you only been using the keyboard for a few days? As well, no-one actually writes what the **** in general, it's usually wtf.

sig
posted 12-29-05 05:46 PM EDT (US)     24 / 55  
Seancahn, don't bypass the swear filter.

posted 12-29-05 05:46 PM EDT (US)     25 / 55  
If its not fact please tell me what word is?

Sorry i was using it to prove a stupid point wont happen again captain.

Homer J

[This message has been edited by Seancahn (edited 12-29-2005 @ 05:46 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » Forum posts and Grammar my thoughts
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames