Single Player Scenarios » Cannons In The Carolinas

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Cannons In The Carolinas

Author File Description
twoqtimes2
File Details
Game Version: AoE3
NOW UPDATED FOR PATCH 1.12

Of course this scenario will work in TWC, but for best results, please use AoE3 original.

So as not to give the story away, I have included a demo map that is 1/2 of the second playable map in the El Dorado campaign.

Morgan Black is already on the search for the legend of El Dorado and is led to the Carolina territories to free a guide that is held prisoner in an English held village. Once arriving from the Canary Islands, Morgan and his men are immediately thrown into battle, helping a struggling platoon of Spanish soldiers. They agree to help each other to succeed in both of their missions.

In order to play this demo, you will also need to download and install the Designer's Mod for patch 1.11. You can download this mod either here at HG using this url: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1094

Included is a music file folder titled Even that will go into local disk (usually c:)\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age Of Empires 3\Sound\Music

cicdemo.age3scn goes into My Documents\My Games\Age Of Empires3\scenario

Special thanks to my playtesters; Gaurdian_112, RiderOfEternity and Olauwers.

Hints and tips:
Read all of the hints in the objectives.
Gareth Murphy can fix things.
Save after the intro cine unless you want to watch the movie again. I do not have a cine abort.
Once you have taken the officer's uniform, You can chose two paths.
Click on units. Some will give you hints or just chat to you.
Keep in mind that this a demo version and more will be added with the final version release sometime in 2007.

Comments are welcome. Have fun and let me know what I can do to make your playing experience more enjoyable.

email: wdbonds@comcast.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
RiderOfEternity Well done on this excellent excellent scenario TQ ;) I would rate it as above if I were able to!
Custergrant
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
I found the playability to be superb. The demo alone hosted many feats that the player needed to complete in order to win, including freeing a guide's brother, repairing cannons, helping a Cherokee tribe against its enemies, etc...There was a lot of fighting, a lot of quests, a lot of fun. :)

Balance: 4
The balance of the demo was pretty good. I found it a hair easy, but I believe it really depends which path you choose to take (i.e., if you go right, you'll get hit by thatnasty artillery), but I think it's pretty well balanced. When the entire project gets released, I feel pretty confident it should be very well balanced. I think this segment of it was just a hair easy though.

Creativity: 5
It may not be creative in the aspect of hobos taking over the Incan empire to free Yoda, but I've seen nothing of this sort for AOE3 before. The project has a great story behind it, as you complete the scenarios and objects and whatnot, filled with great cines, clips, dialogues, etc...The fact that someone could get an idea like this and follow through with it is astonishing.

Map Design: 5
Quote from earlier: "If someone doesn't give you a 5 on the map design, I'll..I'll..I dunno." Map design was astonishing. You could literally take any part of the map, take a screenshot, and people would think it was an amazing piece of eye-candy. Every part of the map has a rock here, grass here, etc...I was proud to see a lot of the objects unlocked in the Designer's Mod included in this as well. --btw, thanks for the credit part on that. :)

The fact that I had my gfx settings on high and the map lagged none also surprised me, which GB was telling me the same. This is probably the best project ever in terms of map design. ;) :)

Story/Instructions: 5
The instructions were very clear. I got only a little confused when it told me to tribute to Player 5 (the Cherokees), when in the player summary, that was Custer's Platoon, but oh well.

The story ran very nicely. Because this was the second campaign (or scen?), there were some things left unknown in the beginning that you kind of had to get the feel of yourself, but it all came very nicely and ran with the demo. :)

Additional Comments:

Just reposting more in-depth for LP. ;)

Awesome stuff and can't wait to see the rest of it from you. :) Good luck Twoq. :)

[Edited on 12/10/06 @ 05:35 PM]

Elpea
(id: lp_usa)
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
I've hardly had as much fun with this scenario as I've had with any other. The balance was perfect, combined with an immersive map design and thrilling storyline this scenario gets a perfect 5 in this aspect, this is an Age3 classic.

Balance: 5
Nothing was too hard, nothing was too easy. I did get confused at some part which made the map a lot harder than it should, but otherwise, balance was perfect.

Not that it has some creative gameplay element that others lack, but it puts all those gameplay styles together in a creative storyline with rich gameplay, reminds of of AoK campaigns. If we count map-design creativity this also gets a 5. Unlike other scenarios where eye-candy is either abusive, which may look pretty but it's intrusive, making everything lag and is completely unrealistic and obstructive to gameplay, or they contain a complete lack of eye-candy. This map has beautiful eye-candy that is realistic and immersive, something I haven't seen yet in Age3.

As I said above, nothing gets a more perfect 5 than the map design. It's simply put - beautiful. It's never too much, never too little. The map has interesting twists and turns you must navigate around, there's so much detail in it you'll find yourself giggling around at the small touches the author put in. I just may have stumbled around one of the best artworks done in this engine.

Story/Instructions: 4
This is unfortunately where the perfections stop. The instructions are done in a sort of confusive manner. Not that it's HORRIBLE, it's just not perfect. At the mission where I had to use my army and fight the British army to free the Cherokee village, the instructions weren't very clear that I had to do that. When I tried tasking my army to go fight them, I got a message I wasn't supposed to let my army free until the Cherokee issue had been resolved, and my army stopped moving. Then later I was able to move them but my heroes had died.

Also, instructions are given on both the message "effects" and those giant overview texts. I think the author should have used send chat for smaller details? (does that effect still work?).

Another thing is installation, there's no need to packup the typetest.xml nor downloading the editor mod. The mod's changes and the typetest changes are already packed in the .scn file, there's no need for you to pass those along.

The story was really rich and interesting, the cinematics at the beginning were very very very beautiful and, unlike most others, didn't make me dizzy and showed me completely unecessary things.

I recommend everyone downloads this scenario, it's a beautiful and fun map that the whole community has been waiting for.
twoqtimes2
File Author
Thank you guys for the great comments and reviews. I can't tell you what it means to me to have this scenario recieved so well.

LP, I wish I could have used the chat function on this. I agree that it would have suited better, but unfortunately, once cinematic mode is used it disables the ability to use the chat function. :(

Sorry about the confusion on the Cherokee mission. I actually tried to make that mission clear by having some of the units talk about it when you clicked on them for chats. Maybe not the best approach. I will make that change for sure in the full version.

I have to disagree about the mod install. While you are correct that the typetest in packed in with the scenario and is not necessary, the Designer's mod is a necessity for proper gameplay. If that is not installed, there will be several missing units and objects.

Well, glad you guys had fun, and again, thank you very much for taking the time to give such in-depth reviews. :)

[Edited on 12/11/06 @ 01:34 PM]

RiderOfEternity I made the same mistake. Originally in the playtest I ddidn't have the Designer's mod to play, and ended up with only a handful of men to take on the masses of enemies!
Pig2
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This map was heaps and heaps of fun to play. From the opening cinematic I was hooked. There were very few, if any, problems that made the game less enjoyable and plenty of things that made this game awesome such as having to make decisions, having to fix things and plenty of fighting :).

Balance: 4
The balance was pretty good, but I found some parts to be a bit too easy. For example, the first mission where you have to kill sixteen wolves was very easy. I do think the map found perfect balance in the convoy mission; I failed miserably the first time, but then was able to employ better tactics and army management in my next couple of tries to finally succeed, which is what I think a perfectly balanced map should be able to do.

There are many things that I haven't seen in scenarios before. It was great to have some choice dialog included which made for some nail-biting decisions. Also having to fix a cannon by finding all three cannon parts was something I haven't seen before. There were many other clever and original concepts and trigger secquences that made this map very creative. There were also some cliches, such as the general's disguise that were used very effectively.

The map design was by far the biggest highlight of this map. Every last inch of the map was pure eyecandy making the scenery looking almost real. It is obvious that the utmost care and effort has been taken to make this map look fantastic. The layout of the map was excellent also, with all the different parts linking seamlessly and cleverly together.

Story/Instructions: 5
The story was excellent. Although there a few things unexplained, but that is expected seeing as its the second scenario and only half of it. I also think the hole plan that Morgan Black and the musketeer guy made was very clever.

The instructions were great. Everything I needed to know was included in the objectives and I never had to guess or assume anything that I needed to do.

Additional Comments:
This map was excellent and lots and lots of fun. I would highly recommend this map to anyone.

I look forward to playing the full version of this map.
twoqtimes2
File Author
Thank you ver much Pig2, for taking the time to give this very generous review.

Hehe, the wolves mission is a quirky one. I'm working on the balance issue for that. Seems that sometimes, you can pick these guys off one at a time and other times they will attack you in groups of 4 or 5. Hopefully I can get that little bug worked out. Also, I thought I would add a kill counter.

But anyway, thank you. :D
Pig2 A kiil counter would have been great.
DanOfTheAges WOW! An amazing Demo! The only probolem was i found gathering the rescources to make the army a bit slow paced. I did not install the mod that was recomended in the readme though, so did this have anything to do with it, and what does that mod do? Is your deadline of this month still valid, or will we have to wait evan longer? lol. Great demo and cannot wait till the final release!
twoqtimes2
File Author
Thank you very much, DanOfTheAges. I'm glad you had fun :)

It is a shame that you chose to not download the mod for this scenario. What it does, is add over 200 objects in the game that were locked away that include HC buildings, units, skyboxes and much much more. You missed out on some pretty cool scenery without the mod and you also were short a few units for your army.

While the mod is not necessary for function in this part of the campaign, it will be vital in the end as the building you need to destroy is part of the mod.

Again, thanks for the nice comments. I still hope to release the finl product soon. End of January is a possibility still.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.2