Single Player Scenarios » Cinematic - The Last Scenario Designer

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Cinematic - The Last Scenario Designer

Author File Description
annihilator2000
File Details
Game Version: TWC
Screenshot:
This is a cinematic and NOT a playable scenario. It is a humorous movie about 15 minutes long about a last scenario designer and his fight against ES (Ensemble Studios) to bring back scenario designing. You should enjoy this cinematic even if you know nothing about scenario designing! Features stunning eyecandy and cinematography, building mashing, humorous dialog, and more!
This cinematic was made to encourage scenario designing and in hope that ES will fix some of the bugs in the editor.

Instructions (also included in the Readme)

Installation Instructions:

Copy "lsdbattle.mp3" to the Age of Empires 3 sound folder
(Default C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Sound)

Copy the four AGE3SCN files to My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario

Playing Instructions:

1 - Start Age of Empires 3

2 - Click "Single Player" then click "Custom Scenarios"

3 - Load:

"The Last Scenario Designer" if you have The Warchiefs Expansion installed AND Shaders set to "very high" under "Help and Tools" - "Options"

"The Last Scenario Designer LD" if you have The Warchiefs Expansion installed AND you do NOT have Shaders set to "very high" under "Help and Tools" - "Options" or the choice to set it to "very high" does not exist

"The Last Scenario Designer NWC" if you do NOT have The Warchiefs Expansion AND you have Shaders set to "very high" under "Help and Tools" - "Options"

"The Last Scenario Designer LD NWC" if you do NOT have The Warchiefs Expansion AND you do NOT have Shaders set to "very high" under "Help and Tools" - "Options" or the choice to set it to "very high" does not exist

4 - Have fun watching! If you have any questions or would like to report a bug or you find that there is a lot of lag and you find it destracting (specify where) or simply wish to comment post in the topic "http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=12,32279,,10" or here on the download page.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
TinyPiesRUs Very good! I especially liked the shots during the battle, and the wall exploding.. and comic relief guy :) good job

[Edited on 01/21/07 @ 06:00 PM]

Mr_Native Wow... 25 dls in 1 day.

Scouring the amazon was not that great and at least it got 55 in 10 hours...
twoqtimes2
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
This will be the only place that you get knocked a point in my opinion and the only imperfection in the cine. Overall, the cine was extremely entertaining. There was no lag on my machine at all. Where it loses its perfection is in the music tracks. Each track seemed to fit the scene, but many tracks did not blend well to the next. Maybe a little better fade timing was in order, not sure, but that was the only area that was annoying to me.

Balance: 5
Its tough to rate balance on a cine, except maybe the camera tracks and fluidity of the scenes. Based on that, the cine scores a perfect 5 from me. As I have seen with your previous cines, the camera angles and tracks are very movie like and rank with any hoolywood production or direction. Speaking of direction, this is another place where Balance could be a factor. And again, the direction of the cine was superb with entertaining dialogue and excellent character creation.

Creativity: 5
The cine truly shined in this department. So as not to reveal any spoilers, I will just say that the "duel" was not only hillarious, but extremely creative adding another gameplay element to AoE3. People should download and watch for this elament alone if nothing else. Again, I will mention character creation here. All characters were interesting and very well thought out. The tributes/spoofs to Monty Python, LoTR Helm's Deep and Theodin's speach at Gondor (or maybe that was William Wallace in BraveHeart) were exceptionally well done. The seige at ES was also verrrry well done with a rare choreographed battle scene. I take that back. I don't believe I have seen anyone choreogaph a battle scene before. WELL DONE!!!

Map Design: 5
Map design was both a beauty and very creative with attention to detail. The opening scene grabbed me immediately and I knew that I was in for a treat. Building mashing, terrain and embellishments were done very well, but the building mashing was definately the strong point. Nice work on the stairs, BTW. Another striking point was the structure of the ES stronghold and the wall destruction. Very nice touch.

Story/Instructions: 5
Instructions are easy...just hit play :p. But the story was fantastic. You were able to take all of our frustrations with this editor and ES and give us all something to laugh at. While some of the jokes were lame, you recognised that and made fun of it yourself and brought the whole thing together. I almost fell out of my chair when introduced to Gaurdian street-LOL. Again, the tributes to Monty Python were excellent. The way you brought the "Power of Triggers" into the story was brilliant. Many more excellent jokes and entertaining storylines, but I will let the player find out for themselves.

Additional Comments:
Overall, when you have a story with a strong beggining, middle and end and keep the player entertained through all of it, and have an underlying serious theme/message, you have a definate winner of a scenario. And that is what you did here. Cudos on an excellent cine and I recommend that all designers check this one out.

Annihilator, I truly hope that your vision and hope help to bring back a serious and strong design community again.
annihilator2000
File Author
Thanks twoq for the great review :)
As for the music, part of that was because of a bit of lag on my computer. I assume you mainly were refering to the battle scene? There's one spot there that caused a bit of a problem since I had 20 seconds (with lag) between 2 tracks - and nothing fit it very well. Maybe I would have been better off finding some music for the battle off the internet...
I'm glad you liked the opening scene, I was trying to immediately grab the viewers attention with a nice eyecandy shot, which is the reason that I didn't release a preview screenshot of it. And yes, the stairs were inspired by that screenshot of your campaign.
Gaurdian street - I hated having to wreck my street for that, but it was too good to leave out :p
Glad you liked it, it was fun making (I couldn't wait to see the explosion once I'd decided to do it). I think I'll send this to ES at some point in hopes that some editor bugs are fixed, maybe once all this CSO stuff is finished up.
Alexandergreat3
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5

The cinematic was very entertaining to watch from the beginning to the end, and there was never a dull moment. It was filled with lighthearted and humorous dialogues as well as nonverbal comedy that made me laughed that my stomach hurted a bit at one point =).

The only complaint I have regarding the playability of the cinematic is that the game got really laggy at one point, and that was when the fortress walls blew up. My computer is a pentium D with 1gig of ram, but the game was so laggy that it took literally several minutes for the walls to complete collapse. With that said, I don't feel that this one small part warrant a point deduction.

This cinematic had a nice balance of really good camera angles and movements, funny dialogues, nice map design, clever use of animations, and an easy-to-follow yet not cheesy storyline, and everything else in between. The balance is excellent!

The strongest point of this cinematic, in my opinion, is its creativity. Using the idea of the scenario community's general dissatisfaction with the editor and lack of support from Ensemble Studios and turning it into a funny, yet non-offensive, parody that also demonstrated a wide range of editor features is simply brilliant!

Having seen a lot of eye-candy screenshots in the past, a 5.0 map design, in my view, must: 1) have a believable, realistic look, 2) be detailed, and 3) creativity.

The map design in this cinematic was very good overall, although some areas lacked attention to details such as natural terrain and elevation blending. The map design scored a 4.5, but since the scoring system doesn't have a 4.5 for an individual category, it's more accurate that it's rounded up to a 5 instead of rounding down to a 4.

As mentioned above, the strongest area of this cinematic is its humous story, so I won't repeat myself and just say that you will enjoy and be entertained by this wonderful scenario, over and over again =).

Additional Comments:

Recommended downloads for everyone who are into scenario design seeking new ideas or people who just simply enjoy some good jokes and laughs!
Arvedui
(id: ashwin13)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
You can't really say much about playability in a cinematic so I guess it would be based more on story, transitions, etc. I really loved the transitions and the music. Maybe some voices but it still worked without them.

Again, transitions were nice here. Though I do think that you should have made more of a fade effect then the light. The shots were excellent to: The battle scene in front of ES's Fortress really reminded me of LOTR! The Comic Relief Guy's stupidity really made it funny also.

Probably the best cinematic I've seen. The Helm's Deep like fortress, the crack in the wall, the duel, all excellent, well-planned out, nicely made. I loved the references to LOTR (being a LOTR fan). I wish you could make TLSD raise his sword and hit the swords of his men, but you can't have everything, I guess (Lousy ES(Lousy Granny2)).

The Last City was very well planned, Guardian Street looked like like..well...it might be blocked by the swear filter, what you wanted it to like it. It really represented how stupid the Scenario Designing tools we've been given are. The Fortress of ES looked grand and give it a monumental feeling.

I loved the story. It was funny, sad, happy, serious, made me laugh, and made me cry, all at the same time. It's really an odd feeling. I've watched it over and over and over and over and over and over and...well...you get my drift. Only LOTR have I watched so many times, proving that this truly is a great cinematic.

Additional Comments:
The underlying story was quite serious and that really made it interesting. To bad we can't really siege ES until they make a new editor. A BETTER editor. Plus, Ugly Face the Villager was quite funny also, it really shows how lousy the graphics still are.
annihilator2000
File Author
Thanks for the great reviews guys, I'm glad you all are injoying all the work I put into this.
ashwin13, I do somewhat disagree that the scenario designing tools are stupid, they are quite powerfull, the main problem is bugginess. Simply fixing a few things like modify protounit and chat contains would help immensely. Oh, and it's Gaurdian street, not Guardian street - named after Gaurdian_112, famous for, well, lining the sides of his streets with crap in his scenarios. That aside, I'm glad the you like the cinematic so much - I still injoy it too, even though I watched it so many times while making it.

It seems that alot of people are interested in it being voice acted, so I am beggining to seriously consider adding it. I'll post more about it on the thread on the forums.
bahari FANTASTIC! Outstanding! Best Cinematic ever!!

I want MORE of these! :D
Arvedui
(id: ashwin13)
I don't know, I mean, N3E2 has so many features that aren't in the normal editor. It's not just the bugs. A lot of the problem is that the features aren't good enough.
annihilator2000
File Author
Oh right...I've nearly forgoten that isn't part of the original editor :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating