Download File Post Review Post Comment

Strategic Objectives: Islands

Author File Description
MosheLevi
File Details
Game Version: TWC
Screenshot:
Strategic Objectives: Islands

This scenario is for both “AOE 3: Original” (Vanilla) and “AOE 3: TWC”.

This scenario requires the latest patch.

“Strategic Objectives” is a scenario that qualifies as a new game type.

It allows to capture neutral buildings that are guarded by guardians (such as Forts and Barracks), and even re-capture them from the AI and vice versa.
Captured buildings offer either economic bonus or military bonus (free units).

Players can also capture Great Cannons and use them to construct Fixed Guns anywhere on the map.

WARNNING

This scenario MUST be executed via one of the Scenario Launchers (see list bellow).
Executing one of the scenarios directly may cause AOE3 to crash under certain circumstances.
This issue has been notified to Ensemble and hopefully it will be resolved in the future.
In the meantime please execute only the Scenario Launchers and everything will be working fine.

Do NOT execute the “Launcher” from the Editor – That won’t work.
Execute the “Launcher” from the Main Menu.
Click on “Single Player”, then on “Custom Scenario”, and then look for one of the “Launch” files.

The following is the list of the “Scenario Launchers” that you can execute:

TWC

xStrat Obj Launch Island Easy.age3Xscn
xStrat Obj Launch Island Moderate.age3Xscn
xStrat Obj Launch Island Normal.age3Xscn
xStrat Obj Launch Island Hard.age3Xscn

Vanilla

Strat Obj Launch Island Moderate.age3Xscn
Strat Obj Launch Island Normal.age3scn
Strat Obj Launch Island Hard.age3scn

These scenario launchers will allow you to select the civ that you want to play with and launch the appropriate scenario.

Game Play

The Player and the AI start on a small island with limited resources.
There is also a main land where the players can expand their base.

For more information please visit the following link and read about the unique game play that “Strategic Objectives” offers.

It also tells you how to construct Fixed Guns anywhere on the map.

For more information visit this link:
"Strategic Objectives: Islands" Scenario

Scenario Versions

I have made several versions with different civs to play with and different difficulty levels.

For Vanilla:

There are 3 different civ versions and 3 difficulty levels for each civ ( Normal and Hard).

For TWC:

There are 4 different civ versions and 4 difficulty levels for each civ (Easy, Moderate, Normal , and Hard)

“Easy”, “Moderate”, and “Normal” versions are utilizing “Moderate” AI.
The “Hard” version utilizes “Hard” AI.

For average players I would suggest to play the “Moderate” version first.
Very good players can start with the “Normal” version.

No cheating codes are allowed with these scenarios

In the event the cheat codes are being used the AI will receive 100 mercenaries with 20,000 HP.

So just play the level that fits your level the most.

Installation Instructions

Please note that these scenarios don’t mod your game in any way.

Installation Instructions for AOE 3: TWC

Copy all the “Xstrat Obj….age3Xscn” files to
"My Documents/My Game/Age of Empires 3/Scenario"

Copy all the "HomecityX…….XML" files to
"Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Empires III/Campaign/War Chief"

Copy the music file Glory.mp3 to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Sound

Installation Instructions for AOE 3: Vanilla

Copy all the "Strat Obj…….age3scn" to
"My Documents/My Game/Age of Empires 3/Scenario".

Copy all the "Homecity_……XML" files to
"Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Empires III/Campaign/Blood Ice Steel"

Copy the music file Glory.mp3 to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Sound

Message for the Reviewers

Please review either the “Moderate” or “Normal” versions of the scenario depending on your skill level.
The “Hard” version was made only for the contest and the “Easy” version just for practice.

Please keep in mind that despite the fact that the AI has more units than the human player, the human player can counter that with superior strategy and tactics, especially with a good use of Fixed Guns.

Special Thanks

I want to thank Schildpad (also known as Furby_Killer) for helping me test the various “Strategic Objectives” scenarios and for his important advice.
Schildpad’s help and feedback was most valuable.

I want to thank pftq for his great “Advanced Effects” that helped me enhance the AI to a new level, and to introduce the “Building Fixed Guns” feature.

I also want to thank somme for his brilliant “Villager Second Calculator” which I used for the free units balancing, and to kjn for making the screen shots for me.

Thank you,

Moshe Levi

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Jubjuby3 Downloadigng now, i presume its the Launchers that make the file so big?
Jubjuby3 No units were visible in editor or while playtesting from editor, The land itself loosk great form the editor though, and i had an Ai loading error when Loadings for playtest
gunner1 maybe this could help
WARNNING
This scenario MUST be executed via one of the “Scenario Launcher” scenarios or directly from the Editor.
Executing one of the scenarios directly may cause AOE3 to crash under certain circumstances.
This issue has been notified to Ensemble and hopefully it will be resolved with the new patch.
In the meantime please execute only the “Scenario Launcher” and everything will be working fine.

thats proabably why it crashed
Jubjuby3 And i Opened it directl fomr the editor, and WHer e did i mention that it "crashed"?

I simply said that none of the untis wer evisible and ther ewas an ai loading error while the game was loading up, the game did continue to play after that
Northern Marvin Ahhh... another MosheLevi-map... You always know their gonna be great :-)
MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
Do NOT execute the “Launcher” from the Editor – That won’t work.

Execute the “Launcher” from the Main Menu.
Click on “Single Player”, then on “Custom Scenario”, and then look for one of the “Launch” files.
poindexter39
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
A very fun and interesting scenario. It definitely provides an alternative to the standard b&c games.

Balance: 5
Well what can I say, you provide 4 difficulty settings across 4 different civs so this map can be applied to anybodies skill level and civ preference. Kudos to you my friend for going the extra mile in this category.

Creativity: 4
This category I am very unsure about. In my first review I told you about how this concept was from an older SCN for AoC.

Map Design: 4
I can see that you're designing skills have improved from the first Strat. Obj. I like your waterfall but next time maybe you should not have it where the edge of the fall has the teeth in it. I.e. place the waterfall along the 90, 180, 270 or 360 direction and not something in between that. I also noticed that you're varying your terrains a little more as well. One thing does bother me though and that is the land on either side of the waterfall are bare(terrain wise) except for a few trees and you're using the default terrain.

Story/Instructions: 5
There is no story in this one but that does not matter obviously because this map is all about preparations for CSO where gameplay is what matters. Your instructions on the other hand are very clear and I'm glad you give ample time for them to be read.

Additional Comments:
I wish you good luck on your future maps as I'm sure we'll see many more strategic objectives maps in the future. Also, I would recommend you making a map without the economic buildings/units and just the military buildings/units. And I almost forgot, nice soundtrack...

[Edited on 08/08/07 @ 10:47 PM]

MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thank you poindexter39 for a thoughtful and detailed review.

In regards to my Map Design skills, I have made some progress but I still have a long way to go, I acknowledge that.

In regards to creativity, do you expect me to outdo myself every time I make a new “Strategic Objectives” map? Lol.
I am afraid I cannot do it every time my friend.

I wanted to add the “Teleporting” feature to “Islands” too but I was short on time.
Still, there have been some improvements with this scenario that may not seem obvious.
I have added a notification every time the AI captured one of your buildings, and the buildings now flash every time they are being captured.
This may sound like a small add on but believe me when I say that the notification part is the most complicated set of triggers in this scenario.

The Fixed Gun construction process also has been improved as it allows you a second way of constructing fixed guns and enhancing them by giving them extra range and HP.

I also added the Scenario Launcher with civ selection and mission briefing, have you seen that?

And finally the concept of expanding to a main land where you are free to choose your second base location is different from the last “Strategic Objectives” scenario.

By the way, I never knew that this concept was already used in older SCN for AoC.
Does this AoC scenario gives free units and allow to re-capture buildings?
Well, I guess I re-invented the wheel. :)

In any case, I saved the better scenarios for later. ;)

[Edited on 08/08/07 @ 10:41 PM]

poindexter39 Yes I liked your scenario launcher very much all you needed was one launcher not 4, forgot to mention that in the review come to think of it. Anyways while I was writing up the review I completely forgot about some of the features you added so I will go back and change my score in the creativity category. And I also meant to comment on your island theme but it slipped from my mind as well. I like the theme, could use a slightly bigger island as the smaller one almost forces you to head straight to the mainland immediately when I wanted to just chill out on my island for a while, bizarre I know I was a little lazy when I play tested it. Again excellent scenario and I look forward to your next work.
MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
Actually, I made the islands too small on purpose in order to force the player to go to the main land right away.
That is also why I give the player a free covered wagon when he reaches Colonial.
With all these free buildings and villagers on the main land I couldn’t let the player be too lazy, could I? lol.

For the future I may make another “Islands” scenario without all these buildings that can be captured, and I can then make the islands bigger.

Thank you for sharing your ideas.

[Edited on 08/08/07 @ 11:33 PM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown