Gandalf's Giant Random Land Map Asian

Author File Description
RF_Gandalf
File Details
Game Version: TAD
Gandalf's Giant Random Land Map - Asian
A random map script for AOE3: The Asian Dynasties
by RF_Gandalf

Gandalf's Giant Random Land Map - TAD is a new random map for Single-player or Multiplayer use, originally created for the base AOE3 with a revision for TWC, now updated for The Asian Dynasites. This map is an 'unknown' type map based on locations and features from TAD. New changes include use of Zen, Shaolin, Sufi, Bhakti, Udasi and Jesuit minor civs, replacement of the previous map types with new terrain patterns with matched fauna, treasures, forests, native types based on the new maps of TAD (new patterns are based the terrains found on Honshu, Yellow River, Indochina-Borneo, Ceylon, Deccan, Himalayas, Mongolia, Siberia and a made-up Green Siberia), adding a 1/8 chance for all maps of getting a few extra resource crates (0-3 crates of food and 0-2 of wood and gold), fixing one outside edge trade route pattern so that the trade posts would not lie on the edge of the map with occasional non-placement, adding more variety to cliffs for some map patterns, and adding to all maps a 1/8 chance that the starting mine would be 'towered' like on the new Siberia map.

This map was originally created in response to requests from other players for 'bigger maps'. This map represents an 'unknown' land with a variety of randomly chosen terrain patterns possible (9 patterns total), each with fauna, treasures, and decorations to fit the theme. Some of the 9 patterns have 'sub-patterns' with the base terrain pattern varying slightly or significantly. The Natives also roughly fit the terrain patterns as well. Player starting positions will randomly vary a good bit, especially on 2-player games. The map is fully twice the height and width of Carolinas for a 2 player game, and about 1.9x the size of Carolinas for other player numbers. Doing the math shows that the area on a 2 player map is 4 times that of Carolinas!

The map is of a large contiguous land area, with a possibility of some cliffs, a lake, mountains, canyon, hills or river (always with crossings - this is a land map) across the center. On this map there can be much more variation in elevation than on the standard ES maps, and the above listed terrain features are not just included for appearance - their presence can influence gameplay by acting as natural barriers or choke points. Trade Routes randomly vary between 12 different types of routes, each with at least 2 possible patterns of Trade Post placement. For example, there can be a single long route around the periphery of the map with 6 to 12 Trade Posts(depending on player number), or there can be 2 semi-circular routes following the same course (or a variety of other patterns).

There are 18 possible patterns for the number and location of the Native Villages. There can be as few as 2 villages, or as many as 10 on a map, and this is partly dependent on player number. These will be of one or two types per map. The Native villages can be placed one or two per player or at certain places along a map axis or per side of the map. This gives a great variety in possible map play and strategies.

The food resources on each map can vary slightly. There are always 4-5 'herds' of some type per player - the numbers vary randomly and types will vary per map theme. Most of the maps have yaks, goats, water buffalo or sheep, and those that do not have an additional group of huntable animals. Most of the maps patterns have some berries at the start area, and a chance of some other berries on the map. All maps have 2 mines per player near the start area (though the second is just out of the starting screen), with an additional several per player further off. There are always more total mines than on the standard maps, but given the size of the map some may be quite distant. In this version for The Asian Dynasties, mines can vary in type, with silver, tin, copper and gold mines possible. Silver, tin and copper mines have the same value, but gold mines are worth 2.5x the amount of coin, and occur randomly in some map patterns (but are almost always more distant, not the start area mines). Forests are placed fairly and are scaled better than on the large ES maps, and all players have 4 small clumps of trees near the start area to be sure initial wood access is equal. Occasionally the center of the map is relatively clear of forest. For the maps with a lake, river or ponds there may be a few fish at most, but never enough for a good dock boom since the focus of this map is on land. Note that the shallow crossings in the rivers prevent ships from travelling the entire river length, so docks and ships are of limited use.

Treasures or nuggets are placed in increased numbers and are keyed to the map type or pattern - a minimum of 6 per player per map - 2 of the easy ones nearby, and 4 of increased difficulty further off (always there are per player one level 2, one level 3, one level 4 and randomly one either level 2 or 3 treasure).

This map has an amazing number of randomly chosen variations possible - each of the 9 terrain patterns or 'skins' can have 2 lighting sets for a variety of appearances, at least 2 different patterns of fauna choices, and each has at least a few variants in the possible terrain features. Each map has the above-mentioned multiple variations in Native and Trade Route patterns, and the player starting positions varies unlike the standard ES maps. In standard 2 team games, teams are opposite, but can start in any of the 4 quadrants, at a variety of distances from the map edge. The distance between players on a team can vary significantly, causing the need to consider different strategies for teamwork and mutual protection. Sometimes teammates will be relatively close together for such a large map. For 2 player games, there is even more variation in the player start positions and the enemy may not be directly opposite you! Other features that have been randomly varied include the size and shape and height of cliffs, the size, density and underbrush of forests, the size and number of lakes, forested hills or elevation, and many other features.

In my testing this map produces extremely fair, balanced maps for 2 team play with a wide variety of possible strategies. I have tried to eliminate any 'map screws' as much as possible; ‘fair maps’ are one of my main goals, achieved through use various types of map symmetry and testing to eliminate dropped resources and features. Effective play involves scouting the various resources, Native types, Trade Routes, map terrain, and of course, the enemy. Scouting is a much harder task on this large map, requiring a longer time to find the nearby and distant resources, features and the enemy. Of course being a significantly larger map, rushing is changed and delayed somewhat, affecting gameplay and causing the need to consider new strategies. This map supports FFA play.

To play this map, the two files (Gandalf's Giant RLM Asian.xs and Gandalf's Giant RLM Asian.xml) must be placed in the folder: My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM3. Please do not place them in the game's install folder - that will not work. When you start up a skirmish game in Single-player or Multiplayer, use the small blue 'Custom Map' button, which allows you to then select one the random maps in that My Games folder from the drop-down window. The files will transfer in Multiplayer if your allies or opponents have not downloaded the files. Please do not edit the files or you will have compatibility problems in Multiplayer. Do not try to play this in the original AOE3 or in TWC, as the new terrains and natives will not work.

A point about the startup: the map area is 4 times larger than the Carolina or similar ES maps and the map script is 4-5 times larger than the standard ES map scripts so it takes longer to load - be patient!

Thanks to ES for making map scripting possible.

Feedback appreciated!

NOTE UPDATED VERSION
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Splash_Z That´s the one m8, many thanks. i´ll rate it after i play it.
Gona dload it now.
cya later m8
AjaxMinoan I love it, I don't have to even wait to get tired of the maps that come with AD before Galdalf is already on making some maps.
Splash_Z
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
Playability: 5
Good with many possible strats

Balance: 5
Looks cool and fair

Creativity: 5
Gandalf´s brand

Map Design: 5
Awsome

Detail/Accuracy: 5
Awsome

Additional Comments:
Now, i´ll wait for your transcontinental for TAD ;)
Good Work m8
Tatanka wow excellent maps. i have all the maps that you have done for AOE 3
psmart101 I'm having some trouble using the files with Age of Empires: Asian Dynasties.
I put the file in My Documents/My Games/Age of Empires 3/RM. Then, they don't show up on the menu (and custom maps can't be enabled) when I try to start a single-player skirmish?
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
RF_Gandalf
File Author
read the instructions again...RM folder is for the original AOE3, RM3 is the correct folder!!
RF_Gandalf
File Author
Note I have updated the map script - I found that on one of the 2 random versions of the Yellow River pattern did not work right and not enough forest appeared - I had misspelled Ginkgo. Sorry - try the updated version.
Elements I'm having a problem; the map won't let me play.
Whenever I click that box for custom maps, it says I have none. The only thing I did differently than your information is I didn't put it in Microsoft Games, My Games. I installed the game in a different locations, but it still should work the same, right?
RF_Gandalf
File Author
just follow the instructions!!!

look under My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3 - does not matter where you installed the game. There is a folder automaticly created there when you install the game = place in the RM3 subfolder for TAD.
Elements Thanks! It's just when I had the demo and I followed your instructions, they didn't work and I placed it in a different folder, and then they worked. So, I was assuming it would be the same way.
Again, Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0