Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Random Map Scripts » King of the Valleys

Download File Post Review Post Comment

King of the Valleys

Author File Description
Felix Hermansson King of the Valleys Random Map Script

by Felix Hermansson, Tsunami Studios (hoodncloak@hotmail.com)
15 January 2006

This is no 'King of the Hill' map, but controlling the center is just as vital here. The players start in valleys with either a Cree or Nootka camp close by and are separated by impassable mountain ranges. The valleys meet at the center of the map where a trade route and some gold mines are waiting to be claimed. Controlling this area is the key to victory!

Two or three player games feature additional neutral valleys where more natives, resources and maybe even a treasure or two can be found.

The map cannot be played 'Nomad' style. Instead, selecting 'Nomad' from the game menu will result in a different startup configuration, where players start with additional barracks and two outposts (except for the Russians who get two blockhouses instead).

To install the map, copy both files 'King of the Valleys.xml' and 'King of the Valleys.xs' into the game folder '..\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM' (NOT into '..\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\RM'!).

You can then play it both in single player or multiplayer mode by checking the 'Custom Map' box on the map selection screen and then selecting it from the pulldown menu.

Note:
There was supposed to be an additional 'King of the Hill' mode for this map, but I ran into problems with that. It worked fine when I tested the game in the scenario editor, but when the map was installed and played normally the triggers would stop working about half of the time. I hope the patch ES has promised for the trigger problems in the editor will solve my problem as well, so I can bring back the 'King of the Hill' option here.

I would appreciate any honest feedback, good or bad. Please tell me what you liked, what you disliked, and especially, tell me why. If you have any ideas on how to improve it, all the better.

I would appreciate it even more if you did not modify this script without contacting me first.

Please send any comments or questions by e-mail to hoodncloak@hotmail.com. Oh, and add 'Age of Empires' to the subject and use proper language, otherwise your message will probably be deleted by the spam filter.

Have fun!
Felix

UPDATE, March 11 2006:
As patch 1.05 has become available I have updated this script to include a tooltip description for the map selection screen as well as a proper description for the game loading screen.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
aven59 Rating: 5
This one is really fun !

Additional Comments:
Nice map !

[Edited on 01/15/06 @ 12:52 PM]

sentry41 Rating: 5
Additional Comments:

Awesome script for comp stomps and death matches. Used to play alot like these in various CnC games over the years. Good chokes, everyone needs this one!

[Rating removed - check out the rating guidelines before rating a file]
~ Kastor

[Edited on 09/01/06 @ 08:01 PM]

Felix Hermansson
File Author
Thanks for the feedback and the high rating; glad you liked it. Now if I could just get that King of the Hill version to work...
cedron Rating: 5
(Insert Rating analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Lots of fun to play.

[Rating removed - check out the rating guidelines before rating a file]
~ Kastor

[Edited on 09/01/06 @ 08:00 PM]

aven59 Each time I post a rating (even good) it's deleted ...

What's up ?

dr nefarious You need to write more than "Nice map!". Tell people WHY you think it was nice, then the rating will stay.
ScaryLarry
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Detail/Accuracy4.0
Rating: 4
It was an enjoyable map but truly very easy. maybe I should have played with either more opponents (I played a 3-player free for all) or a brand new HC.

Additional Comments: Neither computer opponent never really got started. I rushed one of them and then blocked in the other as I built up.
Felix Hermansson
File Author
I think it's hardly fair to blame me for the limits of ES's AI. If a three player free-for-all with two AI is too easy, try a higher difficulty level, going on-on-two (three, four, seven...), or better yet, play online against human opponents.
Anyway, glad you liked it!
aven59 To the moderator : You have removed all my ratings... Including those with comments...

I give up and never put a review again...

Thank you !
Leems
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
I really enjoyed this map. I just finished playing this map on hard 2 vs. 2 and I had to pay my respects for this map. This map was very cool. I had some insane battles in the middle of the map where the trade routes are located. I would be fighting the French at the opening of their section of the map and his alley would come up my butt. Ohhhhh, it was fun. This would be one of the most unique RMs I have checked out for AOE 3. It was fun to scout and a map that can produce some great battles, especially in the middle of the map.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.5