Download File Post Review Post Comment

Indian Conquest v1.6

Author File Description
Darthcast
File Details
Game Version: AoE3+TWC+TAD
Screenshot:
Update! Version 1.6
  • You can now choose a difficulty level (moderate or hard) at the beginning.
  • The scenario title is now displayed at the beginning.

Changed in version 1.5f:
  • Bugs fixed
  • More objectives
  • Mini quests that can be completed immediately (once found) and don't show up in the objectives
  • If you defeat one enemy, another enemy gets a boost (extra units and buildings).

IMPORTANT: If you want to talk to a person or a person in a house, click on the unit/building you want to talk to (while it's in your LOS) and wait a second.

What kind of scenario is this? Will I like it?

Genre: Build & Destroy
    You and your enemies start at age 1, just like in a normal skirmish map. The map appearance (terrain) is similar to the official painted desert map, but it has a trade route in the middle of the map. The natives are also different: You can ally with the Lakota, Sioux, Cheyenne, Apache and Jesuits.
    The Jesuits are located at the middle of the map and are most important, because they'll let you use their European buildings for as long as you're allied with them. Keeping and defending these buildings is the path to victory.
    This scenario plays somewhat like a skirmish map. If you don't like skirmish maps, don't play it.

Difficulty: Hard/Moderate, 3 opponents, player gets bonuses
    There are three CPU enemies, but the player has some additional bonuses. You can choose a difficulty level: Either hard or moderate. That means, if two CPU opponents on hard/moderate provide a fair challenge for you, you will most likely enjoy this scenario.

Secondary Objectives and mini quests
    There are some optional quests you need to complete in order to win, because their rewards are extremely good. The most important quests are: "Train Urumi", "Ally with the Jesuits".
    There are five secondary/optional objectives.
    There are two mini quests that don't show up in the objectives, because they can be completed immediately.

Story and features
    On the evening of October 12, 1492 Columbus sighted land and believed to have found a new trading route to Asia. A few years later some of the most powerful countries, namely Spain, Portugal and Great Britain, sent their armies to conquer what appeared to be a new world.

But someone was already there... India! Well, who would have thought that?!

Spain, Portugal and Great Britain quickly decided to join forces against India. But India was not alone. They had mighty urumi, elephants and... YOU, to tell them what to do!

India has several advantages in this single player scenario:
  • Urumi can use their secret martial arts techniques and become even faster, but only at night.
  • Krishna is with you. You just need to please her. How? Well, she likes cows...
  • Some of your villagers are Muslims. How will this help? Well, just find a mosque or something for them, and they'll tell you how to train imams.
  • Your scientists will search the ruins of the European camps for military secrets: Defeat an opponent to get a bonus.
  • You can get some European buildings if you're nice to the Jesuits. But you're not the only nice guy around...

How to install:
    1. Extract the zip-archive
    2. Copy "Indian_Conquest_1-6.age3Yscn" to "My Documents/My Games/Age of Empires 3/Scenario"
    3. Copy "homecity_india.xml" to "Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Empires III/Campaign"
    4. Start TAD. (TWC needs to be installed, too)
    5. Click single player -> custom scenario -> Indian_Conquest_1-6.age3Yscn.

You know that all the files are in the right folder if you have a homecity with three decks when playing the scenario.

Known bugs: If you save a game and reload it, sometimes triggers will be deactivated: Some units can't be trained anymore (imam, native villagers). This is only a minor problem and only occurs sometimes. You will still be able to complete the scenario without problems.

This is my first scenario. Feel free to post any suggestions or to point out any mistakes and bugs (even spelling errors and grammatical mistakes).

Hints (SPOILER!)
    If you like this scenario but can't win no matter how much you try, you can read the following hints.
    Please don't read them if you want to find out everything by yourself. If you really want to read the hints, highlight the text with your cursor to make it visible.

Q: How should I start? (general advice)
    -Never stop training villagers until you have at least (!) 50.
    -First HC card: Trading post rickshaw. Send it to the Jesuit TP immediately to claim the factory. I would let the factory produce gold, because gold is needed for two quests and to advance to age 3.
    -There is a very high change that you can get another factory (age 4) and a fort (age 3) from the Russians at your embassy. Be sure to ship the export card from your HC beforehand.
    -Heal your units. You can heal them with your monks, imams and also with native medicine men later, if you complete the native village quests.

Q: I can't get enough XP to ship all those Urumi! What should I do?
    You need more cows! Complete the cow quest, find the kidnapped cows and train as many cows as possible! You can also improve the cow's XP gathering by sending the Age 1 HC card.
    Let the trade route generate XP, if this still isn't enough.

Q: Which units should I train?
    -First of all: You'll need plenty, because you have three enemies - that means you need to train native warriors. I think the Cheyenne are the most useful because they're heavy cavalry with a bonus against heavy cavalry. But the more natives you ally with, the better.
    -To counter infantry, use Urumi. They get a speed bonus at night.
    -To counter cavalry (age 2-4), use the native warriors or your own cavalry. Your own cavalry will be stronger as normal, because they benefit from the native technologies and the arsenal technologies.
    -To counter cavalry (age 5 + researched martial arts), you can also use rajput, because they now also get a speed and HP bonus.
    -To counter artillery: No unit gets an additional bonus against artillery in this scenario. Use the units you would use normally: elephant cannons, heavy cannons or heavy cavalry. I think elephant cannons are best, but that's just a matter of opinion.

Q: Where is the Cheyenne TP?
    It isn't there from the start. You need to be friendly to the Cheyenne village (northwest) and complete a quest for them later (age 2).

Q: I can't find the 8 cows required for the cow quest!
    -You can rescue 5 cows at the southernmost end of the map. They will always be there, because the enemies can't rescue them. They're heavily guarded by thugs, though. (This is the native village mini quest)
    -Three more cows and two villagers are held captive at the easternmost part of the map. They're extremely well guarded and also near the Portuguese base. Only approach them with an army.

Q: Are the prices at the lottery any good?
    Yes, there are some very good prices. But you can also lose, or win a price that isn't worth the 500 gold. There are 9 prices altogether. At least two are always worth the 500 gold, and some are only worth it in some situations. It's completely random which price you get. Saving & Reloading doesn't work, because which price you get is defined at the start of the scenario.
    BTW, to play the lottery click the lottery building, wait a second and a dialogue window will pop up.

Q: I found the native village (Cheyenne). What should I do?
    Just be nice to get a few hints and a mini quest.

Q: Ok. I was friendly to the native village and now they've sent me a messenger and I got a quest. But I can't figure out what to do!
    Did you find the neutral European town at the northernmost part of the map? Go near the food store in that town (must be in your line of sight). Now click the food store and wait a second. A dialogue will pop up, asking if you want to buy food. Buy it, and bring it to the native chief. Quest completed.
  • Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »
    AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
    huntertheduck Congratulations!!! This looks like the second single player scenario that is very well done of 2009. MosheLevi Death Valley Scenario would be the first one. I'll download it and try it out later on tonight.
    Darthcast
    File Author
    Thanks! :) I hope you'll like it.
    Actually, this wasn't done this year, I did it about 6 months ago. I wanted to add another quest, but it wasn't possible because of the limitations of the scenario editor. Then I lost interest and forgot about it.
    Just yesterday I remembered, deleted the half done quest, tested the scenario and uploaded it. :)
    If many people like it I'll maybe consider finishing other scenarios I started some time ago...

ATTENTION EVERYONE WHO ALREADY DOWNLOADED!
    The installation instructions were wrong! The homecity file goes to "Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Empires III/Campaign".
    I corrected it on this site, but it's still wrong in the included readme. Put it in the right folder. You know that it's in the right folder if you have a homecity with three decks when playing the scenario. I'm sorry for the trouble. :(

[Edited on 02/28/09 @ 01:32 PM]

CiscoXxCarrillo So you need Age of Empires III, The Warcheifs, and Asian Dynasties to play it? So you can't play it if you only have Age of Empires III and the Warchiefs?
    Darthcast
    File Author
    Yes. The scenario uses content from The Warchiefs as well as from The Asian Dynasties. For instance, the player controls India in the scenario, so TAD needs to be installed.
    The natives on the map are from TWC, so it must be installed as well.
    huntertheduck No problem man. I was able to figure out how to install it myself. A little later I'll review.
    huntertheduck Playability: 4
    Scenario worked fine. No lag or anything. The problem that caused it to be a four instead of five is the secondary objective where you train the cows and build the sacred field. I did this objective, and it did not work. Probably what happened is I did something wrong. However if this is the case it is kind of on you, because you didn't make it clear on how to achieve the objective. So in the future you might want to make objective details a little more clear. Unless of course something just went wrong and a trigger never activated, which also is possible.

Balance: 5
    Balance is just right. Took me two tries to beat. The review guide lines say that is what makes a scenario have perfect balance. I made a mistake and didn't defend the Jesuit trade post like I should have. That put me at a major disadvantage because that was my source of artillery.

Creativity: 4
    The advantages that you have over the enemy where creative. Urumis who are only uber at night was a great idea. Collecting cows to please the gods was also interesting.(even though it never worked :( ) And let's not forget that every time you defeat an enemy your army becomes more uber. Defiantly worthy of a four imo.

Map Design: 4
    This scenario looks about what the average random map does. However since you made it from scratch the review bumps up to a four. Good job nice map.

Story/Instructions: 3
    Instructions where clear.(aside from the cow thing) There was a story. Even if it wasn't in depth, there was still a story. Some build and destroy maps don't even have a reason as to why every body is fighting.

Additional Comments:
    Excellent scenario. I rated this scenario following the review guidelines very closely. Sorry it took so long for a review. Nice scenario. I'd recommend you finish some of your unfinished scenarios.
    Darthcast
    File Author
    Thanks for your review, huntertheduck! :)
    The cow quest works exactly as described in the objective. However, I also had a problem with it the last time I tested the scenario: The award didn't arive when I had the cows. Then I did some other stuff and a few minutes later the reward suddenly arrived and the objective was complete. I thought it was a one-time trigger lag or something. But I'll try to fix it in the next version, because you also had a similar bug.

About "creativity": I intented the scenario to be somewhat similar to a skirmish game. I didn't want to have much complicated extra stuff, just plain good old AoE3. ;)
    But I'm planning to add a few extra quests, in fact I already implemented one.

About "map design": I agree with you, the map isn't really "special". But I will also add some eye-candy in the next version...

About "Story/Instructions": I actually have thought of enough story content to do an entire campaign, but I didn't want to bother the player with extra files for cinematics while there's only one scenario. I don't think that I'll ever finish enough maps to make an entire campaign, though.

Maybe you'd be willing to update your review as soon as I posted the new version? Of course, this will take a while, because I don't have much time at the moment... I think I'll have it ready in about a month.

[Edited on 03/06/09 @ 10:46 PM]

huntertheduck Sure I'll update my review when the new version comes in.
    Darthcast
    File Author
    Here is a workaround for the cow quest, since it will take some time before the new version arrives: You can only complete it when you FIND the cows, not when you create them in the sacred field.

BTW, if you're asking yourself if you should wait for the new version or play it now, here's what will be changed/included:
    -cow quest fix
    -factory cannot produce cannons at age 1 anymore, you'll have to be in age 3. (It's your own loss if you exploit this bug because the scenario won't be fun. Just wait until at least age 3 before you build cannons.)
    -at least two very small mini quests.
    -a bit of eyecandy
    -armies attack after you have defeated the first and the second opponent.
    -maybe another enemy after you've defeated two opponents.

[Edited on 03/16/09 @ 01:22 AM]

ScenarioDesigner Playability: 3
    Playability was like a random map with some extras.
    Balance: 4´
    Balanced.
    Creativity: 2
    As just said: It's a random map with some extras. Not very creative.
    Map Design: 1
    Normal random map...

Story/Instructions: 4
    Istructions were clear and funny.

Additional Comments:
    Make something more creative and don't use the random map.

[Edited on 04/10/09 @ 06:49 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
    Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
    Forgot password?
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability4.7