Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Multiplayer Scenarios » The Wilderness Road (Updated)- Scenario with Randomizer, Balance & Fun changes, plus Dynamic Weather

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Wilderness Road (Updated)- Scenario with Randomizer, Balance & Fun changes, plus Dynamic Weather

Author File Description
murdilator
File Details
Game Version: AoE3+TWC+TAD
# of Players: 6
UPDATE:

- Some terrain bugs fixed; a bit of cliff is removed from the top right starting place.

----------------------------------------
UPDATE:

- Portuguese settlers cost 85 food instead of 100; no longer start with hunting dogs.

- India can build 1 more sacred field and 10 more sacred cows, plus sacred cows cost 100 food instead of 125.

- Upon reaching Imperial, India receives shipments twice as fast (mainly for Urumi).

Map Changes:

- Lowered the amount of trees; there is only 400200 gatherable wood on the map (deleted some trees around the player's base to make it easier for NR and easier to turtle).

-----------------------------------------

This is a revamped version of the Wilderness Road - made into a 3v3. Unfortunately, I was not able to make it larger in map size due to it having the effect of creating unfixable bugs: bugs with the trade route not working. However, Most things are the same, but with more players.

Enjoy!
-----------------------------------------
After a long wait, I finally have constructed a good scenario. Based on my original Wilderness Road chassis, combined with the high caliber of triggers, this scenario was made to win the scenario design contest. Unfortunately, I did not have time to send it in, due to lack of time and lack of final testing. This is the beta version in the FP 1.1. That is what it will be used for. I have another version that is FFA (not yet), so I must warn you, this is a 3v3 TVB scenario. Play it this way to make sure all triggers work properly. Computers work if you put them on LAN games or Online games. Either Humans or Computers can inhabit slots without interfering with one another; you can play this like a regular skirmish.

Balance Changes and Fun changes will sound off in-game. On the map, there is an almost indispensable supply of wood, a good amount of hunts, and many coin supplies. At each chokepoint in the map (or just a major point), there is a "super gold mine," which contains three Gold mines (5000 coin each) mixed on each other. Whoever holds the chokepoints holds an advantage. Play it a little bit like King of the Hill. The Trade Route is outstanding, at a dazzling 339 or so XP. There are 6 Trading posts on the Trade Route, 1 near each player's base. There are 6 Native Posts, two which randomizes between Iroquois/Cree/Huron (Top ones), Two Middle ones which randomize between Cherokee and Seminole, and two bottom ones which randomizes between Cheyenne and Comanche.

A river dominates down the middle to the bottom, taking about 2/3 parts of the map down. There is an "island" at the bottom, and many shallows are onto that island and on the river. On the top 1/3 of the map, it is like Northwest Territory and open land. In fact, The map should be played like Northwest Territory. Fish inhabit the river, and a cliff guards players bases around the trade routes. But, it must be taken note that there are a few gaps in the cliffs, where a player is expected to get a trading post at the trade routes. Here should be an image of the map on a minimap:

It's a little bit cut off, but it should give players a decent sense of what they are doing. It is a 265x by 265x pixel picture. It should be O.K. for standards on this website.

---------------------------------------------

Additional Screenshots:
Both reduced to 320x by 240x pixels

---------------------------------------------

Dynamic Weather: There is a 24-minute cycle for Day and Night cycle, to match the 24 hour cycle. In addition, in the scenario, there is randomized Snow, Rain, and "Sunshine" (which is neither rain nor snow; it is normal) every 8 minutes, with every minute changing the velocity of the rain/snow/sunshine.

Most importantly, there is a randomizer which makes players differ from location to location. You can start in any of the four locations, with your ally above you or below you. This Randomizer, as previously stated, randomizes trading post locations a bit, and randomizes native trading post types. There are a few random treasures as well, nearby the top of the river.

All balance changes have been made sure to work correctly, as well as European Church Tech boosts, Tower Unit Boosts, Healer Unit Boosts, Shogun Nerf, Elephant balances, and several unit boosts. All Balance changes will sound off in game, showing most of the detail of the balances. The rest is left for you to figure out (some exact changes).

Note on Church Techs:

British --> Imperial Rogers Rangers Skirmishers, trainable in Imperial once Rogers Rangers is researched

Dutch --> Imperial Stadhouter Musketeers, trainable in Imperial once Rogers Rangers is researched.

French --> Imperial Garde Grenadiers Trainable in Imperial once Garde III upgrade is researched

Germany --> Imperial Polish Winged Hussars, from Baskirs tech at church, trainable in Imperial once Baskirs is reseached.

Ottoman --> Church Techs grant Janissaries and Great Bombards hitpoint and speed boosts, plus, once Ottoman hits Imperial, he/she will receive a shipment of 3 Spahi every 60 seconds, as long as he/she has less than 16 Spahi and less than 200 population.

Portuguese --> Can obtain falconets through Garde upgrades at the church. 1 falconet in age III for 500 food, 3 falconets for 1000 food in age 3, and 4 falconets + field guns tech + Imperial field guns set Obtainable for 2000 food in age IV. Trainable in Imperial once Garde III tech has been researched. Also, Besteiros ships 30 Crossbows instead of 22.

Russia --> Imperial Baskir Hussars, trainable in Imperial once Baskirs tech has been researched. Kulmucks has no bonus enabling dragoons, for those who wondered. I didn't do this because they don't have audio.

Spanish --> Grenadiers enabled in age III (with veteran, guard, Imperial, and incendiary grenades upgrades set obtainable). Missionaries have only 200 HP, have only 7 in build limit, but start with Unction. Priests are enabled.

Generalized changes: Surgeons enabled from Church and field hospital. Surgeon cost reduced from 300 to 200 coin, and also Priests & Imams cost reduced from 200 coin to 100 coin. Priest and Imam Hitpoints reduced from 360 to 240. Spy cost reduced from 125 to 100, and population count reduced from 2 to 1.

Explore and Enjoy!

regards,

murdilator
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
A_US_James246
(id: James246)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 4
It is a great map and I really loved the look and feel of it.

Balance: 4
The three times I played this map, all of the resources were really well balanced. There are so many huntables that they last for ages.

Creativity: 4
The creativity of it is fairly good.

Map Design: 5
Great map design! I absolutely love the look and design of it. Great resources, and I love the natives with their special features!

Story/Instructions: 2
All it was is a map. I would of found it a lot more entertaining if there was actually a storyline to it or such.

Additional Comments:

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. I really liked the gameplay on it when I played in a compstomp just then. The resources last forever! The only thing that I didn't like was that it didn't have a storyline to it. But well done!

[Edited on 07/07/09 @ 10:28 AM]

murdilator
File Author
Thanks a lot for the review. I always hate creative writing and things like that in school; no wonder I wouldn't do well on a story. But thanks again, and I must remind you, it is much better when played with friends - you just need friends to join.

regards,

murdilator
As_Saffah
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
The random aspects of the map give it enough gas for you to play each civ multiple times and not run out of new experiences. There's little lag inherent in the map despite dense resources and a water body. It's definitely not a good treaty map but then that's usually not a problem. The only problem is some of the decks could use further tweaking.

Balance: 5
I've not played all the civs so I can't really comment on the scope of all the balance tweaks you put in here. I can say that I am very pleased to be able to justify using the Church cards for most Euro civs - Russia, Brits and to a lesser extent Ports and Spain get significant boosts this way. I'm also happy that elephants are cheaper and more pop-efficient. I've also noticed that cheaper upgrades have made it more sensible for people to FF or semi-FF on this map, so it feels almost like TWC just came out...again. Not bad for those of us who liked to FF.

I really think you get about a 4.7 on balance but because of the sheer effort you've gone to in MAKING the balance triggers and TESTING them, I am glad to bump it up to a 5.

It's a random map...redone really well, not entirely original but it's still fun. The 3v3 version with all the shifting positions and multiple random trade posts gives it plenty of replay gas.

Like a random map, but with tons more resources distributed fairly and evenly throughout, because it's actually not a random map. I found it very very difficult to turtle on this map. The comps also make heavy use of the water, building multiple docks and bombarding the living heck out of armies caught on the shallows (good job with trigs). The island to the south is big enough to put a fort on. Dubs natives at each village is tech too. The original 3v3 test version had the starting TCs a little cramped in, but the new map is slightly bigger with more breathing room and, of course, more resources.

Story/Instructions: 4
No story, just a rippin' good fun multiplayer map. Instructions wise, the entire mass of balance changes and tweaks is chatted to you during the first few minutes of the game. This is good if you are playing X civ and didn't catch the details about X. You can scroll back up to read it. This is bad if you're trying to select a HC deck, though. Every single time I have to wait until the textchats are done to pick a deck. Maybe it's just my bad eyesight, but I can't see what I'm picking while these things are going. That's really my only instructions-peeve. I honestly don't have a better suggestion for giving info about the balances.

Additional Comments:
The last time I tested a version was after the map was expanded a wee bit. The trade route simply and utterly ceased to function and in fact I could build a warhut right on the route. I hope this got fixed. I suspect you may have had to del the entire route and replace it, moving the trade posts and cine blocks back alongside it and resetting your random tp triggers. If so that sux and is entirely my fault for suggesting you dink with the map in the first place. Sorry bro :( But that's what you get for putting together a NWT style map and FORGETTING THE WHALES they are angry....white whale is angryyyy... :p

[Edited on 07/10/09 @ 03:24 PM]

murdilator
File Author
Thanks for the review Saffah!

I have been thinking about removing some bit of the wood on the map (so that you can wall a bit easier), and perhaps making Indian sacred fields work much faster; also the 9 Urumi shipment will come faster in Imperial. I could perhaps do this for the other infinite cards as well. I have not been able to re-enlarge the map, but I might try a version soon on that. Presently, I have to go away from Scenario Designing for a bit, mainly because I have been asked to play my Cello at a wedding, and I need time to practice. I will see to it that turtling is a bit boosted (in the sense of less trees everywhere) and perhaps making towers 200 wood instead of 215. It isn't too much work (maybe like 30 triggers and just making the map larger), but It might take a while before I can come back committed.

It is a river, but I could put a couple whales ;)...Maybe might make the AI use less of the water, but its nice to know that their last unit is always on the river.

regards,

murdilator

[Edited on 07/10/09 @ 06:56 PM]

As_Saffah aw sweet, I played cello in high school, it's a mellow fellow that plays the cello ^__^

This seems a good enough version, I like it that the comps use the water strategically and I wouldn't change this.

You don't have to put them in if you don't want, there's plenty of gold on the maps, it's just for those of us who come from that region who miss seeing the whales and orcas in the Sound, it's as much a part of the region as trees and mountains.

[Edited on 07/10/09 @ 10:36 PM]

KevTheGreat
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.0
No glitches, bugs, etc. However the map seemed overwhelmed in my opinion, this led to some lagg. I recommend simplifying the map just a bit.

Balance: 5
I always felt that all the civs were balanced in sup (ppl please don't flame for that comment :P) and your changes didn't affect much to it so i believe the scenario deserves a 5 for balance.

Basically a sup map, would have given you a 3 if it were not for the random stuff and weather, however i think adding side goals would have helped here, for example attacking a small village and finding food crates there or something like that. Some dramatic music would also have helped, there are many in the cinematic folder.

Very eye pleasing map although abit overwhelming

Story/Instructions: 3
No instructions needed for a sup map, the changes you made were also given however i agree with as_saffah that the spoofed chat was blocking the deck. Adding a short story here would also have helped here.

Additional Comments: A good sup map

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.3
Balance4.3