Single Player Scenarios » The Ottoman's Suprise

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Ottoman's Suprise

Author File Description
AdamKinnell
File Details
Game Version: AoE3+TWC+TAD
Screenshot:
In this Scenario you have to use your covered wagon to set up a base and enter and destroy the city, There are Great Bombards that you can use and the fixed guns make for an interesting way to destroy the city.

Let me make it known that the only way to actually play is to play on Moderate or Hard Difficulty. if you try any other you will see why.

This is my first Scenario and feedback will be appreciated

Also please report any bugs you might find
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Teutonic Twit AdamKinnell,

This a great scenario for your first one and one hell of a sleeper. Keep at scenario designing... you got some talent there...will review...
Teutonic Twit
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
This scenario is a real sleeper...it starts out like a standard B&D scenario, you know the type, playable but boring...but it's not. No lag, no trigger bugs, but there was the "usual" victory condition bug which required you to Quit to exit.

I won it the first time but I took a hell of a beating, had to continually regroup and rethink. Played it a second time, and still had fun. After playing it once you can employ tricks/cheats the author did not intend to be possible but it just makes it easier to win without taking away from playability.

It has replay potential just to see if you can do better each replay.

Balance: 4
Good balance...you play Russian against Ottoman's. You have volume and quantity the enemy as quality and (spoiler)spamming... You need to really know your counters and employ them while trying to calculate how to counter the spamming. It gets a little easier midway -for awhile- but you better have a plan for the finish cause it can catch you off guard.

Creativity: 4
Whether it was intended or not (as mentioned earlier) this scenario is a sleeper. Don't think this will be a cake walk. It starts with a TC cart, explorer and a few settlers and troops which the Guidelines indicates is simply not very creative. But surprise!!!...it goes well pass that...it will catch you looking...

Map Design: 4
Definitely not a random map. Very good, but I rated it a 4 because it just didn't rate a perfect 5 IMO, maybe a 4.5/4.6. Just lack that little something special to put it over the top. Maybe a little more eye-candy, can't quite put my finger on it, but it was pretty good.

Story/Instructions: 3
Unfortunately I had to scored it down in this category,(per the Guidelines) there is no story, no explanation as to why your force is going up against the enemy, any history as to why/want is occurring.

As this is a "new" good designer, it's my opinion he will learn/grow to fill-in the holes to obtain higher scoring scenarios.

BUT, on the other hand...it has very good instructions (no grammar and spelling errors) throughout the scenario and requires some out of the box thinking to complete the objectives...good job.

Additional Comments: This is a fun scenario, a little easier toward the middle (or when you realize it's not a walk through, and it's good entertainment... I love these kind of scenarios.

AdamKinnell, for your first time out, ya done good...

[Edited on 07/22/09 @ 12:53 AM]

CSA_Kinglam excuse me ?
i know i sound very noob but how do i add the map into my game?
there are 3 foldiers name RM in my game foldier, RM1, RM2, RM3.
which one should i put the file into?
i got the asian version so i put the map files in RM3, but i cant find the map in game. help me please
thank u
and what is texas rms style?
Teutonic Twit CSA_Kinglam
This is the wrong place to be posting your question, you should go to the forums (home page) to ask this type of question. But since you're here...

RMs are random maps, whole different animal from this file...this is a scenario...they go into different files to be played.

Go to the home page and click on the "Recent Posts",or under "General Discussions" in "Forums" on the right side of the page. Look for the subject "How do I install new random maps and Scenarios". Read my explanation...if you need more info ask it in that posting... Good Luck...

[Edited on 07/19/09 @ 09:17 PM]

AdamKinnell
File Author
Thank you for your review Teutonic Twit, the reason that there wasn't a story was because i couldn't really think of a story to go with it, when i started creating the map a couple of days ago it was just to test out the editor and see how easy it would be to use, I didn't have much of an idea about what was going to happen.

The idea was originally that you would come to a crossroads and followed them and found a small base in a canyon with a few great bombards, nothing too special and because of that as I made it the idea slowly changed into what i've got now.

I'm glad you liked it, and that there weren't any major bugs I'm working on another one where you are an spanish explorer coming home after many years only to find that your town has been mostly destroyed so you will have to rebuild and fight of enemy attacks until they are out of troops and then you will have to destroy the russian base. there will be a few other things to make it interesting. I won't reveal any more but because it started with a better idea on what will happen hopefully i'll be able to get a good story together.
Again nice scenario...
FYI stories don't have to be spectacular, just something that give some basis for the the scenario... your starting objective was extremely misleading (probably should have mentioned in review). It stated "Follow the trade route to get to Istanbul and set up a base there" Other than the enemy being Ottomans, IMO, this has nothing to do with Istanbul.

Based on your scenario here are a couple of story ideas I came up with off the top of my head...

example...your small group was searching new land to settle and you happened upon a trade route/wore trail, etc. and followed it. You came upon a hostile group of warriors which refused to let you pass...let the story continue from there...

example...You had heard about a large Ottoman settlement deep it the woods and thought you might establish a business relation with them. You put together a small group to try and establish trade relations.

Nothing fancy, just a place to start from...

[Edited on 07/19/09 @ 09:19 PM]

AdamKinnell
File Author
thanks for the idea i might use one of them in a future scenario (and give you credit of course)
Why don't you put your scenario in the Custom Scenario contest?
AdamKinnell
File Author
Where would I go to do that, could you give me a link please?
Darthcast In the menu on this page, click Forums, then click Scenario Design, then click "Custom Scenarios Design Competition with Prizes (Summer 2009)".

Here is the direct link:
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=12,36972,,10
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown