Survival V1.01

Author File Description
KevTheGreat
File Details
Game Version: AoE3+TWC+TAD
# of Players: 3
SURVIVAL BY KEVTHEGREAT

THE STORY:
A town in the middle of the nowhere is under attack, by beings of unknown origins, they look human, but they aren't. The survivors sent out a search party for food since the blight has destroyed the farmlands and traders have stopped arriving, however, the search party has not been back for a long time... Food supply is dwindling and so is moral. It is your choice, sit around and wait for help that may not come, or search for your own escape route that may not exist.

THE GOAL:
Survive! (There is a way to win the scenario, I am not telling you how and people who have already played this with me please don't tell them :P)

FEATURES

Food upkeep - you pay 3 food every 5 seconds for every single population point, you run out of food, your men starve to death.

1hip - All units have only one hip except for certain special units, but don't worry you have the guns!

Other Survivors - There may be other survivors outside of the town, however you are sure to find enemies out there too.

Repair Cannon - Harvest 500 wood in order to repair a cannon in the town.

SETUP
Player 1 and Player 2 are human Spanish on team 1
Player 3 is a computer Spanish on team 2

SURVIVAL TIPS
Be careful with your units as they are irreplaceable, if you are running low on food I recommend killing off some of your weaker units such as villagers. Searching out of town is best when early in the game, after that it's probably best to stay in town

PICTURES: (Thx to BurningSushi460)
[Cover]
[Survivors fighting for their life]
[Zombies charging at the survivors]
[Death at the dock]

This scenario is in the Custom Scenario Competition 2009, so please grade well :)

By KevTheGreat

P.S please do not edit, or claim this map as your own.

Other Scenarios by KevTheGreat-

[The Race 2]
[The Great Colosseum]
[Global Wars]
[The Race]
[Arab Desert]
[Arab Desert 2]
[Arab Desert 3]
[Arab Desert 4]
[Arab Desert 4V2]
[Arab Desert 7]
[Burn em All]
[Russia The Epic Begins]
[Fort of War]

PATCHES:
PATCHES:
Version 1.01 -
*Fixed minimap bug
*Player two now has 4 colonial militia (decreased from 5)

To Install:
-Unzip move file "Survival by KevTheGreat.age3yscn" to Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
BurningSushi460 I don't think BB code is on in here...
BurningSushi460
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 5
Survival is meant to be short as the maker intended. Regardless of this, its playability is unquestionable and simple. In that short time is a good romping frantic playthrough that is good with a friend who just wants to kill 10-15 minutes with a challenge.

Balance: 4
Balance here is pretty stable in terms of you and the enemy. Nothing is a problem there. The final version has had all its fixes from when originally Player one had a signifigantly higher food and wood rate than two. Now remedied by pushing the valuables further into zombie teritory, increasing danger of casualties, and making it a bit more fast-paced. Despite this, there are still infrequent occasions where one is doing signifigantly worse than the other so it cannot warrant a 5.

Creativity: 3
This is a pretty linear and straightforward map. Live long enough to survive. There isn't much to do in the map aside from killing sheep, positioning your men so that they die at a slower pace than usual, and waiting. The good thing is that the map itself isn't entirely redundant.

Map Design: 3
I was quite merciful in this category. The map's lack of visual diversity and moving space is somewhat discerning. Trying to retreat to your base with rescued survivors required one to hug the black edges of the map and in this conveniency is that it is exactly where the zombies spawn from, meaning a fast trek will end in some casualties. The terrain and decoration is rather paltry but simplistic enough to be effective for the purpose of the map. To be straightforward, its got the standard stuff down but there is no embellishment to add to the experience.

Story/Instructions: 3
Being as bare-bone straightforward as the map design, this bit is rather average. My first assumption was that it was probably reminescent of a Mexican swine flu apocalypse of some form, but it was just zombies. The instructions are laid bare by the name and taking immediate action to reach the goodies around the map is not encouraged, but treated as possible. This can make the game rather vague. However, it still manages to make off with a 3.

Additional Comments:
I mean no harsh anti-sentimentality towards you Kev, but I was being very lenient and unbias in this review.

[Edited on 07/18/09 @ 01:09 AM]

KevTheGreat
File Author
i had a major mix up with html and bb code, i turned on html and use some bbcode, html, and a mix of both (for example i used instead of [url])

[Edited on 07/18/09 @ 01:29 AM]

KevTheGreat
File Author
Survival is meant to be short as the maker intended. Regardless of this, its playability is unquestionable and simple. In that short time is a good romping frantic playthrough that is good with a friend who just wants to kill 10-15 minutes with a challenge.

- When I was first making this map (a long time ago and then I stopped) I had wanted to this alot longer but didn't have the time to do so, so i decided to make it more challenging and fast.

Balance: 5
Balance here is pretty stable in terms of you and the enemy. Nothing is a problem there. The final version has had all its fixes from when originally Player one had a signifigantly higher food and wood rate than two. Now remedied by pushing the valuables further into zombie teritory, increasing danger of casualties, and making it a bit more fast-paced. Despite this, there are still infrequent occasions where one is doing signifigantly worse than the other so it cannot warrant a 5.

-On those occasions are simply based on player skill, not the map. The only reason u had these occasions was because I made the map and knew where all the food and wood was.

Creativity: 3
This is a pretty linear and straightforward map. Live long enough to survive. There isn't much to do in the map aside from killing sheep, positioning your men so that they die at a slower pace than usual, and waiting. The good thing is that the map itself isn't entirely redundant.

-Well there wasn't much more creativity I could put in, I thought the gathering of the food, wood, and other survivors would have been enough? In addition to that was the decay of food, alot of music ( I listened to most of the music.mp3 in the cinematic section) and the different units.

I was quite mercifful in this category. The map's lack of visual diversity and moving space is somewhat discerning. Trying to retreat to your base with rescued survivors required one to hug the black edges of the map and in this conveniency is that it is exactly where the zombies spawn from, meaning a fast trek will end in some casualties. The terrain and decoration is rather paltry but simplistic enough to be effective for the purpose of the map. To be straightforward, its got the standard stuff down but there is no embellishment to add to the experience.

- this was meant early in the game so that you can easily explore and easily spawn kill. However as u can see later in the game this is impossible. This is also the reason for someone not to venture out to far into the map so they don't have to make a fast track. As for visual, i thought the vultures easting corspses, barriers, hills would have been enough to at least warrent a 4?

Story/Instructions: 3
Being as bare-bone straightforward as the map design, this bit is rather average. My first assumption was that it was probably reminescent of a Mexican swine flu apocalypse of some form, but it was just zombies. The instructions are laid bare by the name and taking immediate action to reach the goodies around the map is not encouraged, but treated as possible. This can make the game rather vague. However, it still manages to make off with a 3.

-It wasn't supposed to be implied as zombies, that is for you to decide as a settler only says (What are these things?) I didn't want to encourage anything, this is their choice on how they want to survive, and i am sure as they notice the spoofed chats and the decreasing food they will want to gather the food. The benifits of going out of town were also told. The instructions were only to survive, how is this vague? Even in the creativity and this section you said the goal was straight forward.

Anyways thx for the review

[Edited on 07/18/09 @ 01:46 AM]

dOPplesaurus
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
There were a few bugs and pathing issues, for example my units sometimes able to walk over the ridges (not sure if that was intentional) , but for some reason couldn't get back. Sometimes your units would move in a totally opposite direction than where you commanded them to go, which means you had to babysit them. And there was a problem with player 1's skirmishers not moving on the minimap, even though they changed positions in the actual game. It was also quite frustruating sometimes when your settlers would not auto attack, but I guess you can't change that because it's hard coded into the game. But apart from all that this scenario was definitely quite playable, and very fun too.

I can't say much about the actual balance here because you ARE playing against a pretty stupid AI system, but you did do your best to alleviate that by adding a lot of spawnpoints. Still, there were times when the creatures would just walk right past my units, or even start an attack animation only to quickly walk away. I found that the tribute resource function was quite helpful in this game, especially when one player was low on food and had no more villagers to gather crates.

Creativity: 5
IMO this scenario was very creative and unique, and I especially liked how most units only had 1 hp. In the beginning I was thinking how easy this was, because all I had to do was assign every unit to its own control group and 1 hit kill everything, but it really got spicy when some rajputs and skull knights showed up for the party and I started running out of food (That, btw, is another concept I liked, because it meant that you couldn't just sit in your base all day waiting for the scenario to end). I just wish there were some more types of creatures. And maybe some scary music :p

I just wish this map was a bit bigger so that you wouldn't get ambushed while walking outside the town exploring, but maybe that's part of the point of this game. TBH there wasn't much room to manuever in either, because the map was so small. Also see Playability for some of the bugs I found. The details (old barn, mill, abandoned dock, dim lighting) were much appreciated.

Story/Instructions: 4
The story itself wasn't so special, but the end was truly epic. Just when you're about to get swarmed over by masses of creatures salvation comes in the form of something I won't tell you if you haven't gotten that far yet. I really did enjoy controlling it for a brief period of time, even if there was no where to go and nothing to kill :)

Additional Comments:
I would really like to see a bigger version of this, with room for more players, and more enemy units.
KevTheGreat
File Author
There were a few bugs and pathing issues, for example my units sometimes able to walk over the ridges (not sure if that was intentional) , but for some reason couldn't get back. Sometimes your units would move in a totally opposite direction than where you commanded them to go, which means you had to babysit them. And there was a problem with player 1's skirmishers not moving on the minimap, even though they changed positions in the actual game. It was also quite frustruating sometimes when your settlers would not auto attack, but I guess you can't change that because it's hard coded into the game. But apart from all that this scenario was definitely quite playable, and very fun too.

-Your units are supposed to be able to walk over the high ridges after 10min into the game, however the small ridges (to the far right) are supposed to be able to be walked over. As for units going int he opposite direction, i haven't seen this yet and i can't think of what trigger could have caused it. Yes, unfortunatly the villies wont auto attack but that give u more work to do rather than just watching them shoot :P

I can't say much about the actual balance here because you ARE playing against a pretty stupid AI system, but you did do your best to alleviate that by adding a lot of spawnpoints. Still, there were times when the creatures would just walk right past my units, or even start an attack animation only to quickly walk away. I found that the tribute resource function was quite helpful in this game, especially when one player was low on food and had no more villagers to gather crates.

I tried using the move to point and auto attack effect, but sometimes it didn't work, nothing i can do about that, and when i just gave it an ai it would not go in the direction i wanted them too.

IMO this scenario was very creative and unique, and I especially liked how most units only had 1 hp. In the beginning I was thinking how easy this was, because all I had to do was assign every unit to its own control group and 1 hit kill everything, but it really got spicy when some rajputs and skull knights showed up for the party and I started running out of food (That, btw, is another concept I liked, because it meant that you couldn't just sit in your base all day waiting for the scenario to end). I just wish there were some more types of creatures. And maybe some scary music :p

-I tried to have different types of units, the slow and weak, slow and strong, and the slow and fast. I tried my best at finding the most sad and creepy in the game, i dind't want to put in custom music as that wouldn't allow other people who did not dl this from hg to hear the music.

I just wish this map was a bit bigger so that you wouldn't get ambushed while walking outside the town exploring, but maybe that's part of the point of this game. TBH there wasn't much room to manuever in either, because the map was so small. Also see Playability for some of the bugs I found. The details (old barn, mill, abandoned dock, dim lighting) were much appreciated.

I originally wanted this map to be bigger, but i was in a bit of a rush to get it done for the contest and for testing since it is due by july 31st, i am going to be busy during the late july so i wanted it to be finished on the weekend.

The story itself wasn't so special, but the end was truly epic. Just when you're about to get swarmed over by masses of creatures salvation comes in the form of something I won't tell you if you haven't gotten that far yet. I really did enjoy controlling it for a brief period of time, even if there was no where to go and nothing to kill :)

I didn't want to tell you why the beings are attacking and where they came from, that was up froyou to decide, and the ending will lead to a 2nd survival if i have enough favorable reviews :)

Thx for the review :)
iTech64
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Fast paced easy to understand scenario, and doesn't take long like the other numerous scenarios! I enjoyed the game and didn't notice any bugs. So a perfect 5 here. The constant stream of enemies kept me away from boredom.

Each player has basically the same units and same chances of winning, the enemy was a bit hard, but if u try 2 or 3 more times you will get the hang of it, At first I thought having everyone as 1 hip units would suck, but after playing through the scenario, I have been proven wrong :).

I have never seen a scenario like this, food upkeep, 1 hip units, and so many enemies for your to kill! Varying in enemy types, the scouts, rajputs, skull knights, and lightning warriors. However the units that you have are a bit bland, all guns and one cannon if you have the wood, some grenadiers would been fun, but this still gets a 5

The map looked better than your average scenario, but not great. Although this is in the middle of nowhere town, it can use some more eye candy, and multiple terrains. Not the best here, but clearly not the worst.

Story/Instructions: 5
Easy to understand instructions with a great opening and ending cinematic, and loved the bleak outlook of the game. The music was also great, you don't find much music in scenarios for some reason.

Additional Comments:
One of the best scenarios I've ever seen. You just need to work on the eye candy XD

[Edited on 07/22/09 @ 05:33 PM]

KevTheGreat
File Author
Wow, thx for the review, i didn't expect a 4.8!! lol. I am glad youe enjoyed the scenario!

I have never seen a scenario like this, food upkeep, 1 hip units, and so many enemies for your to kill! Varying in enemy types, the scouts, rajputs, skull knights, and lightning warriors. However the units that you have are a bit bland, all guns and one cannon if you have the wood, some grenadiers would been fun, but this still gets a 5

-Hmm grenadiers, sounds like a nice addition to the type of units availible, might add that in the next patch :), huge groups of enemies ge4tting blown away XD. Of course then i would have to make the enemy harder to defeat...

Map Design: 4
The map looked better than your average scenario, but not great. Although this is in the middle of nowhere town, it can use some more eye candy, and multiple terrains. Not the best here, but clearly not the worst.

-Yeah, i am lousy with eyecandy, dont have the patience for that lol, I like dealing with triggers more (execpt for those repeating triggers that i have to make for every single player).

Story/Instructions: 5
Easy to understand instructions with a great opening and ending cinematic, and loved the bleak outlook of the game. The music was also great, you don't find much music in scenarios for some reason.

-Glad you liked the ending and opening :), was trying to make it as dramatic as possible. I spent about an hour or so listening to the music.mp3 files in the cinematic section lookning for the best :)

Additional Comments:
One of the best scenarios I've ever seen. You just need to work on the eye candy XD

-Glad you enjoyed the scenario :)
Shireling
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Facinating scenario! It took me over 10 tries to beat this, and it was great every time.

I liken Survival to this little rhyme:

"There once was a girl, that had a little curl, Right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very very good, and when she was bad she was horrid"

The reason I liken in to that rhyme is that the game play is great, but when the one bug hits, it usually involves you losing all of your dudes. Thus you've gotta start over. This isn't as big a deal as you would think though. It's short and fun.

The bug is: Some really annoying path finding around a circular ridge. If your men get close the computer redirects them to either: Start going around it in the wrong direction, or going right over it. The problem here is that it's very hard to stop them. Hitting stop rarely works and redirecting them again is also sketchy.

Thus they usually get into a throng, group, gathering, or posse of Zombies. The gist being "They die".

This scenario is easy to get the hang of but gets intense really fast. It has you micromanaging, micro-tributing, and generally killing a lot of Zombies.

This scenario is an interesting case. It's a Zombie game so you don't win you... Survive. But I'd say that for the time it lasts it's just right. The Zombies spawn steadily faster and faster until it's impossible to keep everybody alive. Which adds to the tension.

This scenario is One-of-a-kind for sure. I've played two other AOE3 Zombie scenarios and this one was the freshest of them all.

The thing that stuck out the most was the actual Zombies themselves I liked the units he chose better than any I've seen.

The starvation angle also added to the atmosphere.

I'll make it plain this map is on the drab side. At times it looked like the surface of the moon when it seems it should have been "Stylishly post-apocalyptic"

Now I chatted with the KevTheGreat about this and he said he was going for a "Dead feel". He I suggested a few things that would have added to the Mise en scène. And he said that those things couldn't be done without modding.

I would have given this a 5 except that the layout of the buildings and scenery had little grasp on a recognizable town/village. And I think realism should be one of the staples of a Zombie game.

The reason there is no 5 here has nothing to do with the story itself. It was self explanatory. Zombie apocalypse, nuff said.

It was the ending that threw me for a loop. It was... anticlimactic? Basically you survive and it's over

A big army comes and rescues you and then... you win. No Zombie slaughter, No revenge, No hide tannage, nuttn.

Additional Comments:
One thing that puzzled me. At the end the army arrived. It then said they would leave in two minutes. The time ran out before I got there and I still won. I don't know if I needed to get there or not.

KevTheGreat
File Author
Facinating scenario! It took me over 10 tries to beat this, and it was great every time.

-I tried to make it hard :P

I liken Survival to this little rhyme:

"There once was a girl, that had a little curl, Right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very very good, and when she was bad she was horrid"

The reason I liken in to that rhyme is that the game play is great, but when the one bug hits, it usually involves you losing all of your dudes. Thus you've gotta start over. This isn't as big a deal as you would think though. It's short and fun.

The bug is: Some really annoying path finding around a circular ridge. If your men get close the computer redirects them to either: Start going around it in the wrong direction, or going right over it. The problem here is that it's very hard to stop them. Hitting stop rarely works and redirecting them again is also sketchy.

Thus they usually get into a throng, group, gathering, or posse of Zombies. The gist being "They die".

This scenario is easy to get the hang of but gets intense really fast. It has you micromanaging, micro-tributing, and generally killing a lot of Zombies.

-ehh nice ryhme lmao, and i've never heard of or seen that bug, your units shouldn't have minds of their own and move on their own..

This scenario is an interesting case. It's a Zombie game so you don't win you... Survive. But I'd say that for the time it lasts it's just right. The Zombies spawn steadily faster and faster until it's impossible to keep everybody alive. Which adds to the tension.

-yup, u have to decide who lives to the end and who doesn't...

This scenario is One-of-a-kind for sure. I've played two other AOE3 Zombie scenarios and this one was the freshest of them all.

The thing that stuck out the most was the actual Zombies themselves I liked the units he chose better than any I've seen.

The starvation angle also added to the atmosphere.

-I used a starvation feature in one of my first maps, people didn't like it and said it was too hard, so i didn't use it in any more scenarios, but decided to give it a try again.

I'll make it plain this map is on the drab side. At times it looked like the surface of the moon when it seems it should have been "Stylishly post-apocalyptic"

Now I chatted with the KevTheGreat about this and he said he was going for a "Dead feel". He I suggested a few things that would have added to the Mise en scène. And he said that those things couldn't be done without modding.

I would have given this a 5 except that the layout of the buildings and scenery had little grasp on a recognizable town/village. And I think realism should be one of the staples of a Zombie game.

-Yup, unfortunatly i can't change the units color without modding :(

The reason there is no 5 here has nothing to do with the story itself. It was self explanatory. Zombie apocalypse, nuff said.

It was the ending that threw me for a loop. It was... anticlimactic? Basically you survive and it's over

A big army comes and rescues you and then... you win. No Zombie slaughter, No revenge, No hide tannage, nuttn.

-You can run them over if u want, as u dont have to return to base immediately

Additional Comments:
One thing that puzzled me. At the end the army arrived. It then said they would leave in two minutes. The time ran out before I got there and I still won. I don't know if I needed to get there or not.

-You have one minute to get to the truck or they leave, if you didn't get there in time, well.... i still counted it a victory because u lasted that long :P.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.5