Download File Post Review Post Comment

grnreaderX: Advanced GR2 Importer

Author File Description
kangcliff
File Details
Game Version: TAD
Screenshot:
New features from grnreader
- loading invisible meshes (check FD Vertex Library)
- importing bones
- fixed faces
- vertex weighing
- loading animations

Requirements
- 3ds Max 7 or later
- AoE3ED to extract .gr2 files from game archives

Installation
Copy 'grnreaderX.ms' and 'granny2.dll' (from your AoE3 path) to the same directory of 'grnreaderX.exe'

How to use
drop GR2 files directly on 'grnreaderX.exe' or execute it from cmd:
> grnreaderX model.gr2 animation.gr2

Changes in 1.2
- fixed texture duplicates
- slate material editor support
- added and updated error messages

Changes in 1.21
- fixed a bug which can cause an error working with earlier versions of 3ds Max
- a new view will no longer be created in slate material editor if the import script has no materials

Changes in 1.3
- introduced plugin mode for directly loading GR2 files from 3ds Max UI
- if no files are dropped to the program, a file dialog will be opened (multiple selection allowed)

Plugin mode

Set up
1. Copy grnreaderX.ms to <3dsMaxRoot>\scripts\startup to activate the mode
2. Open 3ds Max and go to Utilites>MAXScript and select 'grnreaderX' from the drop down list
3. Click the button 'Setup' to locate 'grnreaderX.exe'

Comments
- click the button 'Setup' whenever you change the location of 'grnreaderX.exe'
- checking 'Start from slider' will import animation from the current time of 'Time Slider'

Source code and latest version

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
WollieWoltaz Hee great script, thanks for this but it's only working with buildings?. I currently use 3ds max 2015 and you said that this script works with 3ds max 7 or later. So that can't be the problem then. but everythime i put a file gr2 (animation file) in 3ds max 2015 i get this error!
http://prnt.sc/c7hwc5

then I press oke and then this appears:
http://prnt.sc/c7hwr1

I press oke again and nothing get's imported.
So what can I do to fix this?

Kind regards,

~WollieWoltaz,
Callistonian Hi, thanks for this great script. I have referenced it in a recent guide I wrote on modeling for Age of Mythology (in a section on porting from aoe3).

I have had success using the script to port dozens of units over but unfortunately, I think I'm experiencing the same issue as Wollie for certain units. It would seem that for some objects, for example the Bison, the mesh and rig import without issue but the animation gr2's cause Max to bug out for a second and then import the animated bones in a vertical position outside the mesh. Obviously the animations don't work when this happens. Here is a picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/msuylj9a8zscuwo/aoe3%20import%20problem.jpg?dl=0

For some units, such as the Bison, all of the animations seem to be affected by this. For others, only a portion of the animations are affected. I also noticed that for some animals, importing animations onto an incorrect mesh causes the exact same problem but for some animals, there is only one mesh so I think I'm using the correct one.

I'm using 3ds Max 2016 and the most recent version of grnreaderX. I have all files installed in the directories as instructed. I have tried dragging and dropping the animation gr2s onto the grnreaderx exe but the results are the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 12/20/17 @ 07:24 AM]

Yiome Don't work for me.

https://i.imgur.com/iiXpV1N.png

(3ds max 2020)
Yiome Now I see what works perfectly, only some models are not open. But I love it!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:713
Favorites: [Who?]2
Size:135.60 KB
Added:06/15/16