New Files

Random Map Scripts » River Crossings II

Download File Post Review Post Comment

River Crossings II

Author File Description
RF_Gandalf River Crossings II
Random map scripts for AOE3
by RF_Gandalf

River Crossings II and River Crossings II Plus are new random map scripts characterized by a simple central river with 1 to 4 shallows crossings, with the teams separated by the river. This is a larger version of each - approximately 1.67 times the original diameter and about 3 times the area of the originals. The greater size gives a different game, requiring less of a rush style and more need to play with some strategy.

In the 'Plus' version, the only difference is the addition of 2 outpost wagons for each player at the start. Both maps are contained in the same zip file.

This map is one with defensive possibilities, including the possibility of walling, or at least the use of the shallows as choke points. There are 15 different randomly chosen terrain patterns, and include appropriate rivers, forests, fauna, lighting patterns and treasures. The map uses the same 'river' and 'shallows' construct as found in the Yukon and Pampas maps, and also includes the previously unused 'Amazon River' river terrain for the 'green' terrain patterns. The map plays somewhat similar to the Highlands map for AOK.

There are 4 different patterns of Trade Routes, with variation in number and placement of the sockets. There is always one Trade Route on each side of the river. Unlike the Pampas map, the trade routes do not intersect the river and will not prevent walls to control the crossings.

There are either one or two Native American types per map; these will vary in number and are placed in a variety of fair, symmetric patterns and combinations. The natives will match the terrains loosely.

Player position and location will vary randomly, more so in a 2-player game (in a 2 player game the players are not always in a directly opposite position). There is full support for the Free-For-All play with any player number, with the players placed randomly on one of the two sides of the river.

The addition of the outpost wagons in the 'Plus' version gives a little more defensive flavor to the map - these can be used at the base to protect your initial economy or moved to the crossings to help defend there. Of course for the Russians, the outpost wagons transform into blockhouses and are usable more offensively. Consider that the Texas map starts each player with 2 outposts or blockhouses also (though they cannot be placed at will like these). Anyway, I found these a fun variation - hope you will too. Note that the AI will hold the outpsot wagons in their town area until the second age, then at some point erect them in their town - the AI does not use these aggressively to hold resources or crossings as a human might.

These are good maps for coordinated teamwork in planning a good defense, and of course, executing an offense to break the enemy's defense.

Note - you can build docks at the river crossings, but ships cannot cross the shallows. Also note that there are only a few fish in the maps that use the 'green' terrains and the 'Amazon River' construct - the Pampas River and Yukon River do not seem to take fish via a RMS script (although you can place fish in them in the Scen Editor).

To play this map, the two files for each version (River Crossings II.xs and River Crossings II.xml or River Crossings II +.xs and River Crossings II +.xml) must be placed in the folder: My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM. Please do not place them in the game's install folder - that will not work. When you start up a skirmish game in Single-player or Multiplayer, use the small blue 'Custom Map' button, which allows you to then select one of the random maps in that My Games folder from the drop-down window. Note that the .xml file will give a map description at the startup screen.

Thank you to ES for giving us the tools to do this! Thanks to those community members who provided testing and feedback for this map version. Note to those testers - this final version is slightly edited to give better resource spacing on the larger map.

Hope you enjoy the map.

Feedback appreciated!

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Buz Hi Gandalf,
I for one think your maps are great... But, you would think that out of all the downloads of your map(s) you would possibly have a little feedback.. but no.. all the work you put in to create the map and then give a complete description but not one comment.. peeps just come on here, download and that's that.. well I appreciate your work and enjoy playing the maps you make.. I'm just sorry that certain elements of this community are a bit lacking in response..

[Edited on 05/05/06 @ 08:59 PM]

Kaiser Matthew I You rock with your maps!
ScaryLarry
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
Rating: 5
The larger size of these maps make them far superior to the "regular" sized maps. You mentioned the lack of fishing in the maps. Is there any way to change that in the script? Regardless, it is helpful to have docks and a nice Navy near the crossings. This is one of the reasons that the larger maps are better as Monitors make the game too easy on the smaller sized maps.

Additional Comments:Thank you! If not for your RMS, I would have canned this game a long time ago.
Splash_Z Rating: 5
(Insert Rating analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Well, as usual, with gandalf´s maps, i had alot of fun playing this map. It´s all about strategy.
Very good work Gandalf

[Rating removed - check out the rating guidelines before rating a file]
~ Kastor

[Edited on 09/01/06 @ 08:03 PM]

RF_Gandalf
File Author
Thanks for the reviews. Nice to feel that a person's hard work is appreciated.

ScaryLarry - it certainly would not be hard to add more fish. Unfortunately fish will only place on the river in the map chances with the 'green' edges of the river. This works out to 9 of the 15 terrain patterns. Not sure why there is a difference in these 'rivers' from regular water - these are completely different in the way they are scripted and the game engine seems to treat them very differently from regular water.

I purposely placed only a few fish so that in human v. human play there would not be a cry of unfairness that only the first player to control the river would ever get a chance to make a dock and boat boom, or build monitors as you suggest. Of course in single player, what ever is fun for you is fine. If you wanted to make more fish in your game (and if you have no intention of using the map against other players who would have the original version ) you could edit your script as follows - open the .xs file with notepad, and copy and paste the following lines over the clearly labled 'fish' section near the bottom of the script. Then save and you should be fine on 9/15 games. Here are the lines to be copied and pasted into the script, replacing the original lines:

// Fish - only appear on 'amazon river'
int fishID=rmCreateObjectDef("fish");
int fishVsFishID=rmCreateTypeDistanceConstraint("fish v fish", "fish", 5.0);
rmAddObjectDefItem(fishID, fishType, 1, 0.0);
rmSetObjectDefMinDistance(fishID, 0.0);
rmSetObjectDefMaxDistance(fishID, rmXFractionToMeters(0.5));
rmAddObjectDefConstraint(fishID, fishVsFishID);
rmPlaceObjectDefAtLoc(fishID, 0, 0.5, 0.5, cNumberNonGaiaPlayers*12);

Hope that helps!

[Edited on 05/08/06 @ 10:07 PM]

PureAlbino Another brilliant map Gandalf. You truly are great at these things. I noticed in GD that you have permission from Felix H. to edit his AI for some of your maps. Are you looking into that?

An AI with activated walls and enhanced defenses works very well on this one. It’s a defensive map :)
RF_Gandalf
File Author
PureAlbino,
I played around with it, editing it to add the names of my maps as jugit had recommended, and played in on a few water maps a large number of times, but I honestly did not see that it made a real difference from Felix's original on water maps. I guess I am still using it as I have not reinstalled his original, but have not made a new 'water map' recently so have not really tested it further.
Mario Great a idem i ja to probat
osric A great map. I particularly like the limited but multiple crossing places which adds a greater challenge both to defence and attack.

Is it possible to build-in a 'third force' in an intermediate position that is hostile to both players in a 1v1 game?
RF_Gandalf
File Author
osric - yes that would be possible - would have to be done specifically for a 1v1v1 game with the third player being a computer player. But which side do you put it on? Which ever side has the extra enemy will probably be at a disadvantage.

This is not a specific instance that I am interested in scripting, but feel free to try.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0