New Files

Random Map Scripts » Gandalf's Random Map Script

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Gandalf's Random Map Script

Author File Description
RF_Gandalf Gandalf's Random Land Map
A random map script for AOE3
by RF_Gandalf

Gandalf's Giant Random Land Map is a new random map for Single-player or Multiplayer use. The zip file actually contains 2 maps, including a 'Plus' version described below. This map is a 'scaled down' version of the Giant Random Land Map released previously; the size is just slightly larger than the standard ES land maps. This map represents an 'unknown' land with a wide variety of randomly chosen terrain patterns possible (20 patterns total), each with fauna, treasures, and decorations to fit the theme. The Native Americans also roughly fit the terrain patterns as well. Player starting positions will randomly vary a good bit, especially on 2-player games. The map is just slightly larger that the standard ES maps, such as Carolinas or Great Plains.

The map is of a contiguous land area, with a possibility of some cliffs, and a lake, mountains, canyon, hills or river in the center. On this map there can be much more variation in elevation than on the standard ES maps, and the above listed terrain features are not just included for appearance - their presence can influence gameplay by acting as natural barriers. Trade Routes randomly vary between 10 different types of routes, each with 2 possible patterns of Trade Post placement. For example, there can be a single long route around the periphery of the map with 6 to 12 Trade Posts(depending on player number), or there can be 2 semi-circular routes following the same course (or a variety of other patterns).

There are 15 possible patterns for the number and location of the Native Villages. There can be as few as 2 villages, or as many as 10 on a map, and this is partly dependent on player number. These will be of one or two types of natives per map. The NA villages can be placed one or two per player or at certain places along a map axis or per side of the map. These should always be placed symmetrically as far as the number of villages per team or side of the map.

The food resources on each map can vary slightly. There are always 4-5 'herds' of some type per player - the numbers vary randomly and types will vary per map theme. Most of the maps have sheep, cows or llamas (the 'tropical' maps and the 'yukon' maps do not), and those that do not have herdables have an additional group of huntable animals. Most of the maps patterns have some berries at the start area. For the maps with a lake or ponds there may be a few fish at most, but never enough for a good dock boom since the focus of this map is on land. All maps have 2 silver mines per player near the start area (though the second is just out of the starting screen), with an additional several mines per player further off. Forests are placed fairly and all players have 4 small clumps of trees near the start area to be sure initial wood access is equal.

Treasures or nuggets are keyed to the map type or pattern - a total of 5 or 6 per player per map - 2 of the easy ones nearby, and 3-4 of increased difficulty further off (always there are per player one level 2, one level 3, one level 4 and randomly one either level 2 or 3 treasure).

This map has an amazing number of randomly chosen variations possible - each of the 20 terrain patterns or 'skins' can have 2 lighting sets for a variety of appearances, 2 different patterns of fauna choices, and each has at least a few variants in the possible terrain features. Each map has the above-mentioned multiple variations in Native and Trade Route patterns, and the player starting positions varies unlike the standard ES maps. In standard 2 team games, teams are opposite, but can start in any of the 4 quadrants, at a variety of distances from the map edge. The distance between players on a team can vary significantly, causing the need to consider different strategies for teamwork and mutual protection. Sometimes teammates will be relatively close together for such a large map. For 2 player games, there is even more variation in the player start positions and the enemy may not be directly opposite you! Other features that have been randomly varied include the size and shape and height of cliffs, the size, density and underbrush of forests, the size and number of lakes, forested hills or elevation, and many other features.

In my testing this map produces extremely fair, balanced maps for 2 team play with a wide variety of possible strategies. I have tried to eliminate any 'map screws' as much as possible; ‘fair maps’ are one of my main goals, achieved through use various types of map symmetry and testing to eliminate dropped resources and features. Effective play involves scouting the various resources, Native types, Trade Routes, map terrain, and of course, the enemy. Gameplay should be similar to that on most other all-land maps.

This map supports FFA play, and extensive testing on the current version was without problems. My testing has not shown dropped player resources for larger player numbers, but on a more crowded map that could be considered a possibility. Early in the project I encountered rare instances of Trade Post or Native Villages not placing, but not in more recent testing of the final version.

In the 'Plus' version, the only difference is the addition of 2 outpost wagons for each player at the start. Both maps are contained in the same zip file. The 'Plus' version plays a little differently, allowing a bit more defensive play and reducing the chance that an early rush will succeed. You get to decide whether to use the outpost wagons defensively at your base or to use them to expand and hold territory.

To play this map, the two files (Gandalf's RLM.xs and Gandalf's RLM.xml, and the plus version as well) must be placed in the folder: My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM. Please do not place them in the game's install folder - that will not work. When you start up a skirmish game in Single-player or Multiplayer, use the small blue 'Custom Map' button, which allows you to then select one the random maps in that My Games folder from the drop-down window. The files will transfer in Multiplayer if your allies or opponents have not downloaded the files. Please do not edit the files or you will have compatibility problems in Multiplayer. Note that the .xml file will give the map description at startup.

A couple points about the startup: first, the map script is larger than the ES maps so it takes just a little longer to load - be patient! Second (in response to a question), on the map startup screen the random map screenshots which appear as the map is loading do not predict what the loading map looks like - they are just decoration, for 'show'.

It was difficult to scale down the earlier giant version as it is harder to fit everything without dropping items like Native Villages or resouces in the smaller area and still achieve variety and randomness. Other changes from the giant version include changing the darkest lighting variations due to some player comments, and adding a little variety to some of the terrain patterns for aesthetic purposes. Hope you enjoy my effort!.

Feedback appreciated!
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Splash_Z Rating: 5
Great strategy solutions, very nice map variaty. as usual you did a great job.

Additional Comments:

[Rating removed - check out the rating guidelines before rating a file]
~ Kastor

[Edited on 09/01/06 @ 08:03 PM]

Saden50 This has nothing to do with your map but can you download my map at http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=428 and then add resources and publish it and call it "Supremecy Enabled Bound".

P.s. Please fix any mistakes or change it in any way you want.
P.S.S. Please rate the map, no-one has yet.

Thanks if you do!
Saden 50
aodken
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
Rating: 5

Excellent RM as usual Gandalf

The total randomness of the terrain types and trading route locations makes it harder to anticipate how to set up defenses. This forces me to explore the map early.
I usually use the bloom/turtle strategy and with the randomness of the RM it always keeps me on my toes early.

Map size seems to about right for me, not too big and not to small.

Good balance of resources. Toward the end of my turtle I always run out of huntable animals and coin. Forcing me to set up mills or a livestock pen and plantations. This keeps me having to split me time with the battle and keeping my workers busy.

Additional Comments:

Seems like Gandalf is a few steps ahead of ES with this one. I wonder how “The Unknown” in 1.07 will stack up against this great RM.

Keep up the great work Gandalf and Thanks..

~Ken

RF_Gandalf
File Author
Looks like 'The Unknown' will have the possibility of water on some maps, like on Carolinas or Yucatan - this script is solely land-based.

From the appearance of the minimap screenshots posted on ES' site, it looks like several of those versions run a serious risk of unequal starts and/or dropped starting resources. We'll have to wait and see...
Ganacampo I have downloaded a map called Giant Random Map from you before, is the huge version of this map different to it?

The description sounds so similar.

[Edited on 05/21/06 @ 08:02 AM]

RF_Gandalf
File Author
This map is quite similar except this one is a more normal size - note the absence of the word Giant in the title.
Saden50 This has nothing to do with your map but can you download my map at http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=428 and then add resources and publish it and call it "Supremecy Enabled Bound".

P.s. Please fix any mistakes or change it in any way you want.
P.S.S. Please rate the map, no-one has yet.

Thanks if you do!
Saden 50

Errr, will you respond this time?
MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer

RF_Gandalf,

It seems to me that you are one of the best Random Maps writers out here (if not the best), so I wanted to present a challenge before you.

Furby-killer came up with a solution for “No Rush” games.
He has created a custom map with indestructible wall in the center of the map (dividing the two sides) with a timer.
Once the timer expires (e.g. 20 minutes), both sides can destroy the wall very easily, and as a result they can cross to the other side.

I have played this map several times and it works great since no forward building is possible, and the explorer or any other units cannot cross to the other side before the “No Rush” expires.
So you see, with this solution it is not possible to break the “No Rush” rules.

I have talked to Sandy Petersen but he is claiming that they cannot find away to incorporate the center wall with normal random maps.
Their problem is that the wall can overlay with many other objects such as gold mines, trading routes, trading posts and so on.
They don’t want to offer a static map because they believe that people would complain that it is not random.

However, I don’t understand how is it that they can prevent a gold mine to overlay a trading post, but cannot prevent from a gold mine to overlay a wall.
I am therefore pretty sure they could create a random map that can avoid placing any object over the center wall.
Regarding trading routes, they can put 2 trading routes parallel to the center wall on both sides.
For now such “No Rush” map doesn’t have to have water, or at least not at the center of the map.

Will you be able to take a look at Furby’s “No Rush” map solution, and see if it is possible to add that center wall to one of your random maps without overlaying any objects?

Here is the link to Furby’s maps.
[url]http://home.student.utwente.nl/e.olieman[/url]

Thank you
af_cg_Be I know i will sound as a noob but where (which directory) should i put the files in?
RF_Gandalf
File Author
for af_cg_Be

to quote from my description above:

To play this map, the two files (Gandalf's RLM.xs and Gandalf's RLM.xml, and the plus version as well) must be placed in the folder: My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM. Please do not place them in the game's install folder - that will not work. When you start up a skirmish game in Single-player or Multiplayer, use the small blue 'Custom Map' button, which allows you to then select one the random maps in that My Games folder from the drop-down window. The files will transfer in Multiplayer if your allies or opponents have not downloaded the files. Please do not edit the files or you will have compatibility problems in Multiplayer. Note that the .xml file will give the map description at startup.

Let me know if that does not help!
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0