Browse Categories
New Files

Modpacks » Unit Upgrades Modpack v1.0

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Unit Upgrades Modpack v1.0

Author File Description
Matthew Sher
(id: Imperiosus)
Note: Invisible Ruyter and merc bug has just been fixed, please redownload. I think those are the last of the bugs.

Update v1.0: fixed all known bugs, made some subtle additions, added new decals (selection circles) specifically for native unit all improved the installer, all with some help from Kastor. First "official" release.

Update v0.3: now includes custom textures for imperial man-o-war and imperial monitor. Also added exclusive designs for ottoman ships' sails, since they originally had Christian symbols like the other civs (and the Ottomans were most obviously not Christian).
Also, now uses easy-to-use installer, and all mod files are placed into a single file (art.bar), courtesy of Kastor.

Update v0.21: added custom hat textures for imperial musketeer and imperial grenadier. Further improved rodelero shield textures.

Update v0.2: now includes custom textures for dragoon, musketeer, rodelero, dopplesoldner, and grenadier, making this modpack all-inclusive. Also includes minor bug fixes.

To me, one of the main standing dissappointments of AOE3 was the fact that most units do not change with all their mainline upgrades.
Xentelian put out a great modpack (http://68.147.72.252/index.html) to change all this.
I decided to improve this, with his permission, by upgrading the artillery and several other units, like the Besteiro. I then expanded the modpack further by creating custom textures for every unit that did not upgrade completely.
Kastor (http://napoleonic-era.net) then offered to contribute with to this with some bonus material and helped vastly to publicize it.

Here is a thorough list of the changes of the units in this modpack:

Abus Gun - Custom made textures. Weapon itself upgrades as follows: Veteran - Black Barrel, Guard - Bronze Barrel, Imperial - Steel Barrel with stained wood and gold trim

Cassador - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age. Guard (now Imperial) Cassador now wears backpack (as ES may have intended)

Cavalry Archer - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

Cossack - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

Crossbowman - "Besteiros" upgrade gives the Crossbowman the unused "Imperial Crossbowman" texture

Cuirassier - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

Culverin - Custom made textures. Weapon itself upgrades as follows: Base - Greyer Barrel, Royale - Standard Texture, Imperial - Brass barrel with stained wood cart

Dopplesoldner - Created custom made imperial texture. Imperial texture has gold trim (including the hat, with ridges that alternate between team color and gold to now fit the unit portrait), cross on breastplate, and Germany's famous Iron Cross on cape

Dragoon - Created custom made imperial texture. Imperial texture has gold trim, a more modern and elegant dragoon helmet, black plume, black boots, and a black leather side pouch

Falconet - Custom made textures. Weapon itself upgrades as follows: Field Gun - Bronze Barrel, Imperial - Steel Barrel with stained wood cart

Frigate - Created custom made imperial texture. Imperial Man-o-War texture replaces all instances of the existing cross patteé with the Jersusalem cross, thus adding four smaller crosses between the arms of the main one. The ship's wood is stained, white colors made more pronounced, golden edged portholes, steel broadside and deck cannons (like imperial falconet and cannon).
- Created custom made exclusive Ottoman textures. Figate texture replaces the Christian cross on sails with the star and crescent of Islam and the Ottoman Empire, and Imperial Man-o-War texture bears the seal of the Sultan's Imperial Navy (smaller star and crescent encircled by a large sun-like burst).

Great Bombard - Custom made textures. Imperial Bombard receives a deep bronze barrel and stained wood cart

Grenadier - Created custom made imperial texture. Imperial texture has redesigned torso layout, artillery design on pants, grenadier badge on baggage and hat plate, black boots, black backpack, gold epaulettes on shoulders, and black bearskin hat with gold tassle

Halberdier - Inserted unused missing Imperial upgrade

Heavy Cannon - Custom made textures. Imperial Cannon receives a shinier gunmetal steel barrel and stained wood cart

Hussar - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

Janissary - Inserted unused missing Guard upgrade and moved existing guard upgrade to the Imperial level

Lancer - Inserted unused missing Imperial upgrade and replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture (Lancers initially had no body upgrades)

Longbowman - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

Monitor - Created custom made imperial texture. Imperial Monitor texture has a single, large, elaborate fleur-de-lis on its main sail and a smaller one on the sail above. The ship's wood is stained, white colors made more pronounced, golden edged portholes, steel mortar (like imperial howitzer).
- Created custom made exclusive Ottoman textures. Monitor texture replaces the Christian fleur-de-lis on sails with the tughra (calligraphic seal) of Suleiman the Magnificent, and Imperial Monitor texture bears the sacred Islamic sword "Zulfiqar" on its main sail.

Mortar - Custom made textures. Weapon itself upgrades as follows: Howitzer - Bronze Barrel, Imperial - Steel Barrel with stained wood platform, unrusted metal and no dents

Musketeer - Created custom made imperial texture. Imperial texture has red sash, a belt, additional baggage straps, black pants covering boots with a gold pinstripe down the side, larger rank insignia, and various gold trim

Oprichnick - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

Organ Gun - Custom made textures. Weapon itself upgrades as follows: Rabauld - Bronze Barrels with bronzish wheels (looks more like "upgrade to rabaulds" icon), Imperial - Steel Barrels with black and white painted wheels and stained wood cart

Pikeman - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

Rocket - Custom made textures. Imperial Rocket recieves brushed-steel colored rockets with stained wood cart. Rocket projectile was modified to reflect this change

Rodelero - Created custom made imperial texture. Inserted custom espada level shield, which is team colored. Imperial texture has black sleeves, black boots, gold trim, and grid-patterned pants

Ruyter - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

Skirmisher - Inserted unused missing Imperial upgrade

Spahi - Includes full line of unused upgrades now. The Spahi you know is now the Guard/Industrial Age Spahi

Strelet - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

Uhlan - Replaced base unit with unused "Age 1" texture, and bumped up all other textures by one age to have a change for the Imperial Age

War Wagon - Created custom made imperial texture. Imperial War Wagon now has brass window plates, stained wood, and shinier wheels

This modpack is ESO friendly and all custom textures were made with proper function and historical accuracy in mind, so do not be afraid to make this mod a permanent part of your gaming experience.

If there is any particular change you do not like, or if you have any suggestions whatsoever, by all means comment on it here, and I'll do my best to act on them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
centurie
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Creativity0.0
Art and Sound0.0
Installation/Instructions0.0
Story/Description0.0
very good improvement to the overall look of the game,with your permission ill like to add this to my next installment of my centuries combined mod,its all the little things people do to mod this game that makes it the great game it is today.

well done centurie
Matthew Sher
File Author
That would be fine, centurie, but if you do, please credit the part to Xentelian and I (you did not do this for the other modders whose work you incorportated). The only thing that bothers me is that this mod stands well alone, given its ability to work online. Do with it what you will, though, and thank you for being so interested.

As for everyone else, if there is anything at all you like or would like to see about this modpack, by all means post your comments. I would be happy to oblige suggestions as long as they're plausible for my ability.

[Edited on 06/10/06 @ 04:17 PM]

lord_chYper Hey Imperiosus! :D This is absolutely wonderful :D
I'm among the creators of the Age of Empires III: Rising Sun Mod, that's going to be released soon. I'd like to know, can I use your mod in one of the next releases? Of course you will be credited! :D
keep up the good work :)
Matthew Sher
File Author
I'm amazed that all these people want to combine their mod with this one. lord_chYper, you may use it as well, since you asked so politely. ;) Anyone else who needs to use this in their mod can ask me here as well. Also, again, more feedback will be very useful for future versions.
KaSt0R Looks really great :-)

but a mod like this (mostly the same non used textues and models), was already created a month after AoE3's release by me:

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=124

:P
Matthew Sher
File Author
That's quite a shock, actually. I had no idea someone already tried this (I hope I didn't "infringe" on anything you had in mind), and I actually searched around to see that they hadn't.

Anyway, as I said initially, MOST of the work I did myself was the custom textures. I'm not exactly sure when Xentelian made his more similar versions, but I assume they were closer to the game's release as well.

I actually downloaded your Napoleonic Era for some inspiration when I was halfway through, so I did know you knew how to edit these things.

KaSt0R No, you didn't infringe me. It's nice to see a completed mod (mine wasn't 100% complete). I didn't have time (because of Napoleonic Era), to complete the mod. And of course the models and textures (besides your artillery textures for sure) were done by ES so everyone can use them :).

e.g. in Napoleonic Era, I didn't implement an own graphic for the Imperial Age but I used the models and textures in other, completely different ways.
lord_chYper Thank you :) We'll use this mod with great pleasure! :)
Matthew Sher
File Author
By the way, I'm working on an update to this mod, which will make it so that all the units are affected. I'm working on custom textures for the dragoon, rodelero, grenadier, dopplesoldner, and musketeer. So far they're coming out rather well, and I imagine it will be ready within a week or so. So, if you want to add or use this mod for yourself, you may wish to wait for the update to finalize things for now...

Edit: The update is now done! Feel free to use it as you wish.

[Edited on 06/17/06 @ 02:22 AM]

tokeit05 hey guys how do u put in the mod!!???
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Creativity1.3