New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

River Map

Author File Description
MosheLevi I have suggested to Ensemble for some time now to create a river map (like in AOK) where ships can play more active role in battles.
I therefore decided to create a Custom Scenario of a river map to see how it plays out.

This River Custom Scenario requires good coordination between land and water units.
This is a map where most of it is water with some land (it’s actually an island).
The water has a lot of fish, so water boom strategy is probably the best option, and fishing boats almost never go idle (something I have been asking from Ensemble for some time now).
There is also limited land near the town center for buildings.
Ships have access to almost every location on the map so they can participate in almost every battle.
This unique combination of being able to combine land units and ships in almost every battle makes it a different and interesting game play experience.

Each player starts with a dock, field hospital, and an outpost,
You play as Spanish against the Germans (you can change that in the map editor).
There are many treasures, and there are 2 treasures close to your TC that are very valuable.
I suggest looking for them as soon as possible as they could save the game for you.
There are also a few cows and sheep lying around the map.
Exploring the water may also be a good idea, although it may not be too safe.

It would also be wise to build several outposts as a defense against enemy ships, as they can arrive very early.

The AI gets an initial advantage which makes his score higher at the beginning of the game.
Since the AI doesn't train fishing boats and other type of ships, I had to add a few triggers to create some ships for the AI every few minutes.
This is going to be a challenging game, but it can be won by an average player.

Please note that I added a trading route to the map but couldn't add a trading post sockets.
Instead there are a few glowing structure that look like ghosts.
Maybe someone can figure out what is going on there and let me know.

To play this map copy the following files to C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario.
river map*.age3scn
river map*.bak

I also created 2 home cities for this custom scenario and they should be copied to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Campaign\Blood Ice Steel

Thank you,

Moshe Levi

UPDATE: I have uploaded 3 versions for the "River Map" - easy, meduim, and hard.
Hard level would even be a challenge for above average players

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author

I would appreciate it if players could comment on the difficulty level.

Do you find this scenario too difficult?
Would you like to see an easier level?
How long did it take you to win the game?

idttywlm I can't get this to load and I have the files in their proper location. Anyone else have this problem?
MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author

You need to unzip the zip file in another folder.

After that:
Copy the following files to C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario.
rivers large v16.age3scn
rivers large v16.bak

The 2 home city files should be copied to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Campaign\Blood Ice Steel

Make sure you don’t have folders within the folders specified above.
The files should be copied directly to these folders.

When you go to play the scenario, make sure you select “Custom Scenario” in order to see that map.

idttywlm Thanks I had the files in the right place but hadn't updated my game to version 1.07 so it wouldn't load with the older version. I just got done playing the game and was able to beat it even after making some mistakes so I'd say it could be toughened up a little. I'd say it should have another attack shortly after the first land attack so that the player doesn't get breathing time. This would make sure that the human player doesn't escape if he makes a mistake (like losing my town center and having the explorer pinned down in enemy territory). I enjoy the water maps.
AN_Nuisance Playability: 4
Very playable the Germans are aggressive enough to keep you guessing and victory is never assured

Balance: 4
The balance was good...though the ability to send the Swiss Pikeman simply OWN war wagons and Uhlans

Creativity: 5
Creativity was nice...a new twist on the map made it interesting to play

Map Design: 5
I'm giving you a 5 because I like the design and eye candy...but one suggestion...if its a river map there should be actual river...that have shallows you can cross...this is more of an "S" shape

Story/Instructions: 4
As usual the instructions are very clear and precise

Additional Comments:
Again an excellent job!

[Edited on 12/04/06 @ 01:38 PM]

MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thank you AN_Nuisance for another nice review.

You played and reviewed all my scenario, what are we going to do now?

Oh wait, you haven’t played “Conquer the Stronghold and Capture the Inca Temple” yet, have you?

Yes, I originally wanted to do a River Map but ended up with an Island map as the map was too small.

One of these days I would do a new River Map on a bigger map without making it an island.

Regarding your question about not being able to build trading posts.
Yes, it is a bug with the scenario editor, and I asked for help about it from Ensemble and the design community, but didn’t receive any reply back.
It was my first released scenario, so I left it that way with the hope to get back to it and fix it (which I didn’t since I didn’t know what to do about it).

The idea behind this map was to put water all around so ships can participates in any battle in almost all locations.
For that reason I didn’t put any shallow water in that map, since ships can not sail in shallow water.

[Edited on 09/20/06 @ 10:46 PM]

AN_Nuisance On the shallows...while true that ships couldn't pass, if there was only one shallows they could come in from both sides. I know that there can be trade posts since I've seen them in other scenarios...unfortunately I know NOTHING about the scenario editor...I like to PLAY scenarios but I'm usually a multiplayer on ESO... Still the offer stands if you need a tester... imagine_art@hotmail.com
MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
Sounds like a good idea.

I would keep that in mind for my next river map.

For my next scenario I will send you an email and ask you to test it for me.

I haven't started on a new scenario yet.
I need to come up with a new idea first.
Something for Ottoman.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:1,716
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:1.62 MB