New Files

Random Map Scripts » Barrier Ridge

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Barrier Ridge

Author File Description
RF_Gandalf Barrier Ridge
A random map script for AOE3
by RF_Gandalf

Barrier Ridge is a new random map for Single-player or Multiplayer use. Several people had asked me to re-create the AOM map Jotunheim for AOE3, so here is my version of a map that plays like that old standard. Of course walls will not last as long in this game with the various siege options available. This is a map only for 2 team play - FFA play will possibly give you a really screwed up start.

The map is rectangular, with players starting along the more distant ends of the longer dimension, which is 1.6x the shorter dimension (and size varies, like the standard ES maps, by player number). This map is only slightly larger than the standard ES maps, and smaller than the ES 'large' series. There is a central mountain ridge which is broken only by a single pass, the only way to gain access to the enemy on the opposite side.

The script includes a wide variety of randomly chosen terrain patterns possible (19 patterns total), each with fauna, treasures, and decorations to fit the theme. The Native Americans also roughly fit the terrain patterns as well, with some 'artistic license' to give more options for NA combinations. There can be one or two types of natives per map, in varying number and location. There are always at least 2 NA villages, but there can be as many as 6 on a 2-player map or 12 on an 8 player map, partly depending on player number and partly on the pattern randomly selected. The NA villages can be placed one or two per player or at certain places along a map axis or per side of the map. This gives a great variety in possible map play and strategies. The native villages are placed roughly symmetrically for the purpose of fairness in gameplay.

There is always one Trade Route on each side of the ridge. Trade Routes randomly vary between a few different layouts of routes, each with a few possible patterns of Trade Post placement.

The food resources on each map can vary slightly. There are always a few 'herds' of some type per player - the numbers vary randomly but herds are placed at the same number per player, and types will vary per map theme. Most of the maps have sheep, cows or llamas (but not in the arctic or jungle). Most of the maps patterns have some berries at the start area (and extra on the tropical maps). All maps have 2 silver mines per player near the start area (though the second is just out of the starting screen), with an additional few per player further off. Occasionally some of the distant mines will be gold mines rather than silver mines, which provide much more coin. Forests are placed fairly and all players have a few small clumps of trees near the start area to be sure initial wood access is equal.

Treasues or nuggets are placed in increased numbers and are keyed to the map type or pattern - a total of 6 per player per map - 2 of the easy ones nearby, and 4 of increased difficulty further off.

In my testing this map produces extremely fair, balanced maps for 2 team play. Effective play involves scouting the various resources, Native types, Trade Routes, map terrain, and of course, the enemy. On maps with increased numbers of NA villages, the opportunity to use larger numbers of native warriors is a lot of fun. The pass through the mountain ridge allows for the possibility of a defensive stance, walling off the choke point for at least a little while.

To play this map, the two files (Barrier Ridge.xs and Barrier Ridge.xml) must be placed in the folder: My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM. Please do not place them in the game's install folder - that will not work. When you start up a skirmish game in Single-player or Multiplayer, use the small blue 'Custom Map' button, which allows you to then select one of the random maps in that My Games folder from the drop-down window. The files will transfer in Multiplayer if your allies or opponents have not downloaded the files. Please do not edit the files or you will have compatability problems in Multiplayer.

Note version 2 was posted only to improve the appearance of the 'tundra' terrain pattern, which was inadvertantly uploaded in an uncompleted state. Version 1 still played appropriately, and did not look terrible, but I liked the finished version better and I'm a perfectionist!

Enjoy!

Feedback appreciated!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Saden50
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
Rating: 5
Great map! Love the stile of play!

Additional Comments:
I made a new HC just ofr this map! I realy like how you made only one passage through, it opens up tons of defensive options and it is easy to moniter when the opposition's raids are coming! Also it acts like a warfront in a way. kepp making maps like this one!

I posted the recorded game a few minutes ago, it is one of the best maps I've ever played on.

Thanks for making it.

~Saden50
cwby671
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
Rating: 5
Awesome map! I just got done playing and once again I am not disappointed. That chike point was a great idea. I look forward to future maps!
RF_Gandalf
File Author
For those who already downloaded the map, I have posted an updated version. The new version merely improves the appearance of the barrier ridge for one of the 19 terrain patterns, the 'tundra' pattern, so that the ridge looks completely covered with snow and the slight elevation leading up to the ridge is more snowy - I had accidentally uploaded a version that left out my final design for that pattern. The original upload played perfectly well, I am just a perfectionist and wanted the final to 'look right', as I intended it to. Sorry for any inconvenience!
craig77
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
Playability: 5
Excellent design that is different from any of the exsisting maps on AOE3

Balance: 5
Very balanced for 2v2 or 4v4

Creativity: 5
Showed a lot of creativity

Map Design: 5
Totally different design

Detail/Accuracy: 5
Nicely detailed, not overkill

Additional Comments:
Yet another great map from Gandalf
gaias_minion can you re-create this for TAD?
Teutonic Twit Just copy it into RM3...
MERTJE
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
Playability: 5
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 5