Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Glacier

Author File Description
RF_Gandalf Glacier
A random map script for AOE3
by RF_Gandalf

Glacier is a new random map for Single-player or Multiplayer use. This is a map best for 2 team play - but FFA play has been enabled.
The map is rectangular, with players starting along the more distant ends of the longer dimension, which is 1.5x the shorter dimension (and size varies by player number). This map is only slightly larger than most standard ES maps, and smaller than the ES 'large' series. Players start on a mountainous highland area on opposite sides of a wide glacier. On each side is the usual amount of forest and a few herds of bighorn sheep, elk and/or caribou, but only one silver mine per player. There is one trade route and one or two Nootka villages (dependant on player number) on each side of the map as well. The only extra mines are located on a few exposed mountain tops protruding above the middle of the icefield, and these are gold mines, worth 2.5 times as much coin as the usual silver mines.

Treasues or nuggets are placed as a total of 5 per player per map - 2 of the easy ones nearby, and 3 of increased difficulty further off, plus a couple of hard nuggets on the glacial mountain tops.

There is random variation in the lighting feature for a little variety, and in some of the huntable animal choice. There are no domestic animals on this map.

In my testing this map produces extremely fair, balanced maps for 2 team play. Gameplay differs in that it is harder to forward-build than usual due to the presence of the glacier ice, a terrain which limits building. You either have to build on the enemy's side of the map or hope to cram in a couple military buildings on the exposed mountain tops - and it is not always possible on every mountain to build up the size of forward base you might be used to. Because of the limited mines on each side, control of the glacial gold mines is crucial. Most players will tower these resources as soon as they can afford to.

To play this map, the two files (Glacier.xs and Glacier.xml) must be placed in the folder: My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM. Please do not place them in the game's install folder - that will not work. When you start up a skirmish game in Single-player or Multiplayer, use the small blue 'Custom Map' button, which allows you to then select one of the random maps in that My Games folder from the drop-down window. The files will transfer in Multiplayer if your allies or opponents have not downloaded the files. Please do not edit the files or you will have compatability problems in Multiplayer.

Thanks to ES for making this map possible!

Enjoy!

Feedback appreciated!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mario Great THIS MAP IS GREAT

RATING:5
Etivac
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
Rating: 5
(Insert Rating analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Definitely one of the best maps you've made! The little bits of land in the middle makes for so many strategic techniques which in turn adds a whole new world of strategic dimensions in playing this map!

Bravo!!!!!
Eliminator
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Detail/Accuracy5.0
Rating: 5
Breakdown:
Playability: 5
Balance: 5
Creativity: 5
Map Design: 5
Instructions: 5

Additional Comments:

Another one of your masterpieces. Offers exceptional gameplay. A new style of play conpletely - almost and over the hill run strat. Balanced well, and the light feature rox. Thumbs up to you
piLOL69 Rating

Really great map

[Edited on 09/05/06 @ 08:25 AM]

Macaulish Rating: 5
(Insert Rating analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Loved it. Thanks for the map. You good!

[Rating removed - check out the rating guidelines before rating a file]
~ Kastor

[Edited on 09/04/06 @ 05:47 AM]

design and help Sounds like my kind of map!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0