Browse Categories
New Files

Single Player Scenarios » Geronimo’s Revenge

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Geronimo’s Revenge

Author File Description
MosheLevi Story
------
In the summer of 1858 the Mexican army attacked Geronimo’s village when he was away and killed his mother, wife and three children.

Geronimo in his search for revenge recruited an army of native warriors from surrounding tribes and attacked the Mexican army.

He was victorious, and he also managed to kill the Mexican soldiers who slew his family.

When the battle was over Geronimo was made war chief of all the Apaches.

This is the first chapter of Geronimo’s legacy, and you can now repeat history by leading Geronimo and his warriors to ally with surrounding tribes, recruit large force of native warriors, lead them to battle against the Mexican army, and destroy their base.

If you would like to know more about Geronimo and his battle against the Mexicans, then visit the following link and read his story with his own words.

http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/B/geronimo/geroni6.htm

Game Play
-------------

The scenario starts after the Geronimo’s family was killed by the Mexican army.

Main Objective – Lead Geronimo and his forces, destroy the Mexican base, and kill all the Mexican units.

Secondary Objective - Lead Geronimo and his forces to capture all 9 native villages that are in the map.

You capture them by building a trading post on top of each native village.

Completing this objective will grunt you a very large reinforcement of native warriors.

Since native chiefs in AOE 3 cannot build native posts, I had to change history a bit, and create a new objective to rescue an American explorer from a Mexicans jail.

Once the Explorer is rescued, he can assist Geronimo in building the native posts.

Geronimo must survive.

Every new construction of a native post would deliver native villagers (to gather resources) and native warriors (small reinforcements).

It also delivers medicine man that can help healing Geronimo and the explorer.

In addition to that, every new native post increases the population cap.

This scenario is fast pace game full of action with epic battles.

It also gives you a small preview for the XPack, since you would be commanding only native warriors.

Difficulty
------------

I have uploaded 3 versions for this map - easy, medium, and hard to adjust to everyone’s skill.

Hard level should be even a challenge for above average players

Tips
------
You are limited in the number of native villagers and medicine men that are available to you due to the fact that you cannot train them.

You only get a few at the beginning of the game, and a few more every time you construct native posts.

Medicine men are important because they can heal Geronimo and the Explorer.
They can also heal your native forces, so keep them safe, and make sure they don’t get killed.
Keep an eye on Geronimo’s hit points, as he must survive.

Since Geronimo has such high HP he can kill many enemy units, so you should use him in battle (he is strong like 100 units).
However, at the same time you have to get him out of the battle field when his HP is too low.
At that point you may want to heal him with your several medicine men.

Use your Explorer to build a Town Center.
Once you have a Town Center you ship resources, and even outposts.
However, you cannot train any additional villagers.

You would not be able to train none native forces except for minute men.

If your explorer dies, you will not be able to revive him and the game will be over for you (unless you play very good or play the “Easy” level), so keep your explorer out of the battle field and protect him with a few units.

There are plenty of resources around the map to gather from.
However, you have to make sure that your villager workers are protected as they are going to be scattered all over the map.
If you loose villagers there is no way to replace them.

The more native posts you build, the more reinforcements you would get, and your population cap will go up too.
So don’t attack the Mexican base too early, as it is well defended.

Notes
-------

In order to enjoy the music that is attached with this scenario, you may want to increase the music level from the “Option” menu.

There are some historical inaccuracies in this scenario.
These inaccuracies were necessary in order to improve the game play.

Geronimo never used an explorer or any American allies.
This was necessary due to the fact that warrior chief in AOE 3 cannot construct a native post.

Since the Explorer can build a town center, I decided to allow for that, and allow it to ship resources and train more allied American villagers.

Geronimo attacked the Mexican army only with apache warriors.
Since there are no apaches in AOE 3, I had to use other tribes.
I am using 4 different tribes in this scenario to allow for good variety of units.

The battle against the Mexicans happened inside Mexico close to the border with Arizona (Sonora), but due to Scenario Editor bugs, I couldn’t find away to include more than two different tribes in the same map.

I therefore had to use the Unknown map with a terrain similar to Carolina (with no water).

I would like to thank twoqtimes2, sziggi, pftq, Xamolxis, kjn, and CaveTown for helping me with various tips about triggers and cinematic.

Installation
--------------

Copy all the “Geronimo*.age3scn” and “Geronimo*.bck” files in 'my documents/my games/age of empires 3/scenario'.

I also created 1 home city for this custom scenario (HomeCity_Native…...) and it should be copied to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Campaign\Blood Ice Steel

All the Geronomo*.mp3 music files need to be copied to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Sound\music

I hope you enjoy this scenario.

If you do, then please show your support by reviewing it.

Thank you,

Moshe Levi

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
AN_Nuisance Ok sounds good I'm going to give it a go and then leave you a review! You start with a great explanation and background story which already gives you high marks in my book...hopefully the game play is good as well!
AN_Nuisance Playability: 4
The map is very playable and I didn't see any trigger issues. A good challenge map!

Balance: 3
I think you'd be better of with falconets for the Mexicans as they actually HAD those....the organ guns are murder on indians...also maybe regular Hussars rather than Uhlans. Other than that the balance is ok. Challanging...

Creativity: 5
Nice job here...the story, playability, and map design all work well together

Map Design: 4
Map design worked well...I coulda used a bit more Eye Candy like maybe expanded indian villages or something...but overall nice job.

Story/Instructions: 5
Great story and Instructions...one of the best I've seen

Additional Comments:
Overall a really good job on this one! Congrats!

[Edited on 12/04/06 @ 01:38 PM]

MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author

Thank you AN_Nuisance for a very detailed review.

I chose Uhlans over Hussars because they looked more Mexican to me.

I preferred giving the Mexican army Organ Guns over Falconets because I didn’t want the Native posts to be destroyed too easily.
After all, you don’t get the large reinforcements until you have all 9 native posts up standing.
It’s easier to replace native units then rebuilding those native posts.

AN_Nuisance One more comment...I tried this on all three levels...and hard is severely challenging...but the easy level does not need the additional reinforcements near the end. Also I noticed that you actually win before the Mexican Base is completely destroyed...
MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
So you won against “Hard” level?
That is very impressive.
“Moderate” level is challenging enough for me (I am only an average player).
There are many players out there, some are very good players and some are just starting to learn the game.
That is why I like to create 3 difficulty levels for every scenario that I design.
Basically every player should just play the level of difficulty that matches his skill level.
I am therefore flattered that you play all 3 levels.

Yes, win conditions are to either to destroy the whole Mexican base or kill most of the Mexican units.
Once the AI goes bellow population of 10 then you win, so you don’t have to chase and kill all villagers (it just takes too long).

[Edited on 09/19/06 @ 06:20 PM]

twoqtimes2
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
(Everything seemed to work as it was intended. After playing, I went into the editor just to check out the trigger work, and all worked nicely as far as I can tell. I got a nice chuckle when the game told me I was boring. Thought the taunts was a nice addition to the experience. I experienced no lag with settings on very high.)

Balance: 4
(Easy mode was way easy, moderate mode was fairly challenging and Hard mode was a real challenge. Had to restart 3 times before I finished on hard. Hard was my favorite. Once you stick to the strat indended, the scenario is a blast. I have to agree about the Falconets over organ guns. I see your point for going this route, but I think there are plenty of native cavalry to fend off a falconet attack. I think that would have added to the strategy.)

Creativity: 4
(The gameplay was unique in alot of areas. I really liked the objective of gathering the native forces around the map to accomplish the mission. Nothing super special in the trigger work, so I knocked you a little there. Sorry.)

Map Design: 4
(The layout of the map was spot on, I thought. My only issues with it was the lack of eyecandy and there seemed to be many treasure nuggets, but the frantic gameplay prohibited enough exploration to search for these nuggets. Also, they were not really necessary since the map was ubundant with resources and plenty of villagers to gather them.)

Story/Instructions: 5
(Loved everything about the story. Objectives were clear and easily understood. A scenario or campaign along historical lines not only provides great story material, they're also a lot of fun to play. I think you did a great job emersing the player into the story.)

Additional Comments:
I recommend this scenario to all players. There is a good balance for all skill levels and this is just a fun 1/2 hour to hour of gameplay.
AN_Nuisance I agree with the above....if you ever need help testing a new map you can contact me at imagine_art@hotmail.com
MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author

Very nice detailed review twoqtimes2, thank you.

Since both you and AN_Nuisance agree that the AI should have Falconets, I will change the scenario and add a few of them (instead of organ guns).
I would then test the scenario to see how it works out.
Give me a few days and I will keep you updated.

Regarding map design and creativity, yes I agree.
I am fairly new to triggers, and it would take me more time before I can come up with sophisticated trigger work.
Map eye candy was never my strong side, but I will try to give it more attention next time.

AN_Nuisance,
I will keep your offer to play test my next scenarios in mind.
That would definitely be very nice.
Thank you for offering.
sziggi Moshe in a word, Awesome! Took me a hour and a half to get a victory on medium, and had I not been for that one tech that cracked the egg so to say, things would have gone differently.
MosheLevi
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
The game play, strategies, and tactics that we need to use for this scenario are different.

I have played this scenario more than 20 times, and every time I discover a new tactics I can use.

If you play it again, I am sure that you would win faster.

One tip I can give everybody - it is important to build a town center early on, and progress in ages.
Not only that you can ship resources, and make units cheaper.
You can also upgrade your native units at the native posts.

You can also build more than one town center, and while the AI is busy knocking it down, you can build more native posts uninterrupted.

One more thing - it is important to save the game every once in awhile.
You loose the game if Geronimo dies, so if you don't want to start all over again, saving the game on a regular basis will help to prevent that.

Thank you for playing it sziggi, and for all your help with triggers.

I am looking forward to play your new scenario tonight.

[Edited on 09/20/06 @ 09:47 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0