Mod Packs » Robin Hood

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Robin Hood

Author File Description
Courtjester1
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Screenshot:
This unit was designed for the Robin Hood Conversion Pack, but may be used for whatever you want. Credit me if you use it.
Pages: « First « 1 [2] 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Dannflor Where is the Robin Hood.akx?
Courtjester1
File Author
It's in the zip file you downloaded.
Dannflor It still disappears when I move it up?
Courtjester1
File Author
You need to install the data file included in he zip file.
Dannflor You mean one of the slp's?
Courtjester1
File Author
No, put the empires2_x1_p1.dat file in you AoK Data folder. Back up the original one first.
Dannflor I did replace the .dat file but it still disappears?
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
With the data file placed in the data folder the unit should not disappear. I encountered the bug on my first try before I realised I needed to include the data file. Everything works perfectly now. :-)

[Edited on 08/30/10 @ 01:37 AM]

Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions4.0
'Robin Hood' is a mod pack that replaces the elite plumed archer and plumed archer with the infamous outlaw of Sherwood Forest. The file was designed for the 'Robin Hood Conversion Pack', which is currently under-progress in our Scenario Design forum. It is available only through 'the Conquerors' as the file details read above.

USEFULNESS/NOVELTY: Despite there being countless dozens of projects made about Robin Hood, no one had ever actually thought of making a mod pack depicting the infamous outlaw, at least until now. The mod pack 'Robin Hood' comes out of a long tradition of good, notable works by the author and this is no exception. The unit is very creative and more than useful for Robin Hood-themed projects, if not very capable of featuring in anything else the designer has in mind for it. It is indeed better to use this than simply employing Ensemble Studio's uninspiring version of Robin Hood, which offers the designer little usefulness except a carbon copy from the standard longbowman. From the robin's feather protruding from the outlaw's hat, to the green garb, the mod pack offers the designer unique novelty value and the chance to accurately depict the Sherwood archer for the first time in a decade of AoK. 5.0

QUALITY/INSTRUCTIONS: The unit is made entirely from scratch using the 3D figure animation program 'Poser'. Not for some years has anyone ever really attempted doing this, let alone successfully, and the author's addition to our mod pack collection at the Blacksmith is a more than welcome addition. The quality of the unit looks and feels like it belongs to Sherwood Forest, and fits in notably well with the rest of 'Age of Kings'. Since his upload of the 'Danish Halberdier', the author has maintained a high standard and talent for realism with his works and 'Robin Hood' is clearly evident of that long tradition. Still, even the best works have flaws and I have just a few complaints that I feel detracts from the unit a bit in one way or another. While the unit certainly looks the part, it does indeed seem a little too large when compared to other units from AoK, particularly when contrasted with a longbowman. The over-sized boots are an obvious point here, and remind me of something cartoonish, or was it Link from Zelda? Another problem was the unsmooth transition I encountered when watching the unit slide from walking to standing, which seems to flicker noticeably for a brief instant. Hardly warranting too much attention, all this can be fixed by almost any keen modder, as the author has included a number of .slps so mod pack creators can play around with the unit a bit. The author has also included clear instructions on how to install, and an .akx file so designers can jump straight into the editor to test the unit. 4.0

CONCLUSION: While in my honest opinion still needing some final touches, particularly to fix the problems mentioned before, 'Robin Hood' is still a very well-designed unit and technically ready for designers to start using. All we need now is the 'merry men'.

In a sentence - A very high standard model, Robin Hood scenarios just became much more believable.

In closing - A highly-recommended download.

[Edited on 10/03/12 @ 07:45 PM]

jeromethy Fun Unit, But 1 question, The game crashes after i make over 50 units of the kind. Please fix this

[Edited on 09/06/10 @ 12:05 AM]

Pages: « First « 1 [2] 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0