Download File Post Review Post Comment

New King Unit

Author File Description
Achesun
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Screenshot:
Hello, this is my first mod submitted.

This is a new king unit that replace the original king. It was originally designed for the Robin Hood Conversion Pack, as the character Prince John. The unit doesn't have player colors.

The file also contains the attacking .slp , and a hero icon for prince John, which are not included in the mps script.

Thanks for downloading this mod.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Dannflor Do you mind if I use this for my campaign?
Achesun
File Author
OK.

[Edited on 08/24/10 @ 12:36 AM]

TheLaughingMule It is customary to give credit to the author when using their mod.
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Thanks for making this for us Achesun. A very good unit. Love to see more from you in the future.
Dannflor @Laughing Mule

I knew that, just asking his permission first before I did anything.
TheLaughingMule @ Dannflor - that was very polite of you to ask. I will leave my comment so others will be reminded to credit the author.
Dannflor I was assuming you have to ask, or is it that you can use any mod in the blacksmith without asking as long as you credit the author? Sorry, but I'm newish so I don't know.
TheLaughingMule I think it is polite to ask if the file is new, as the author can respond. If the file is, say, 8 years old, the author may not be around to respond. Its always good form to credit authors either way. I hope that answered your question.
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty3.0
Quality/Instructions3.0
'New King Unit' is a mod pack that replaces the original king unit found in the editor. The file was designed for the 'Robin Hood Conversion Pack', which is currently under progress in our Scenario Design forum. The version reads as being for 'The Conquerors' but the mod also works for 'Age of Kings'.

USEFULNESS/NOVELTY: 'New King Unit' has some apparent use, and the replacement of the original unit works but only to a degree. While being useful for a Robin Hood-themed project, the unit certainly works for other projects, but only if you like the inconsistency in graphics with other units of 'Age of Kings'. The unit appears to belong to another game and is taller than most AoK units to really fit in. The unit is very creative though, and upon closer study I appreciate the added depth to the unit compared to the original king, who is fat and limited in its use to game play. 3.0

QUALITY/INSTRUCTIONS: Firstly, allow me to say that the mod pack comes out as showing potential and it's very clear that a fair amount of effort has gone into this. However, there are a number of errors which I feel detracts from the overall rating here a bit, and which works against the mod pack. For one, the unit seems in direct reminiscence of a Jedi Knight from 'Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds' and doesn't necessarily reflect what I had in mind of what a king looks like, but I suppose it still works. Secondly, the unit seems to run too quickly for an AoK unit, especially for its size, and the graphics appear just a little too heavy and come out as looking messy. The unit is also incomplete in that it does not feature player colours. 3.0

CONCLUSION: The overall rating here has more to do with the inconsistency of the unit with the rest of 'Age of Kings', rather than as a result of the author's effort, which is notable. However, more overall thought is needed into producing a unit that works with the rest of 'Age of Kings'.

In a sentence - A decent try at a replacement for the original king however its inconsistency with the rest of the game is its let down.

In closing - It is worth the download.

[Edited on 10/03/12 @ 07:45 PM]

Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty4.5
Quality/Instructions4.5
This unit was made for the Age of Sherwood Conversion Pack. It was made by Achesun who is a member of the Age of Sherwood Design team. This unit will replace be used as a Nobleman and also be used as Prince John in the Mod.

Rating: 4.5
It is always nice to see new units made for Age of Kings and this unit is a very decent unit. Created by Achesun on Paint and using the Jedi Knight from Star Wars Galactic Battle grounds as a base Achesun has created a new unit which fits into AOK quite well and has nicely designed graphics for Standing, Moving, Dying, Decaying and Attacking. However the new unit seems to be a bit blurred and is a little too tall compared to the rest of the AOK units.

There are two ways of installing this mod. The first and easiest is the .akx MPS Install Script which makes the install script replaces the King. This doesn’t use the Attacking graphics. The second way is to use the SLPs, Including the Attacking SLP, and choose which unit you want to replace.

Along with the good graphics Achesun has created, on Paint, a new custom icon for the new unit. It is a very good quality icon and I see no floors in it.

Additional Comments:
A Great new unit and a Fantastic try for being Achesun’s first submission.
Well Done

Possidon
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown