Recent Updates

Mod Packs » Archery Range Mod

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Archery Range Mod

Author File Description
BlazingShadow
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
This is my first mod. It places an archer in the North Europe Feudal Archery Range and the Western Europe Feudal and Castle/Imperial Archery Range.

Screenshot:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2482/archeryrangemod1.png

This screenshot is also contained with the mod.

Enjoy!

Thanks,
BlazingShadow
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty1.0
Quality/Instructions1.0
'Archery Range Mod' is a minor mod pack that places an archer within European archery ranges for the purpose of eye candy. The download is available for 'the Conquerors' as well as for 'Age of Kings'.

USEFULNESS/NOVELTY: Unfortunately, the mod pack does little to inspire designers. The file features exactly what the author describes in the description above and sadly I see little use for this implementation except to give the added impression of a unit in training. Although this allows for a little more depth to the archery range which cannot be achieved once in-game, in my honest opinion there is nothing here that would really make me want to use it, let alone install it. If I might say it is actually easier and quicker to implement this to fixed buildings in the editor than it is to download and install the mod. The novelty value is inexistent and I am sure there are other mods that do more to modify the archery range. 1.0

QUALITY/INSTRUCTIONS: Obviously, the mod pack uses in-editor buildings and units to achieve a certain effect but that still doesn't warrant a significant rating here. In any case, the effect in question is useless to designers as the unit doesn't give the impression of firing its bow at the target at all and stands idly, doing nothing. However despite its simplicity, its implementation is without flaw and there are no problems when the building itself is destroyed. It is also good that the player cannot attack or use the unit for his own benefit. 1.0

CONCLUSION: Put more effort into your mod pack; potential downloaders will want something they can use over and over, and it's no use if what you're offering them can be done by other, simpler means. That said, keep at it! Try aiming higher with your next design and push for something designers can't necessarily do in the editor but will make them want to use your mod pack.

In a sentence - Plain and simple, this mod pack offers very little in the way of usefulness for the standard AoK scenario.

In closing - I do not recommend downloading this MPS.

[Edited on 10/03/12 @ 07:45 PM]

Possidon
Official Reviewer
There is no need for this. You could just map copy an archer onto the archery range. That's what I do.
BlazingShadow
File Author
A little harsh but I'm glad you didn't go soft on me just because it's my first Mod. Yes it is pointless, I mainly made it for a test as I was just learning how to use the program, and if anyone wanted/needed it for a campaign/unique scenario.
Possidon, The archer in this mod is uninteractable and disappears when the building is destroyed. Simply because I places that frame of an archer onto the image for the archery range, meaning, technically, the archer is part of the building, also, I believe his player colours change accurately (or should do)

All in all, thanks for the review, and my next one will be better.

Edit:

I'm thinking of updating this mpk so the archer actually goes through the archer idle animation, or maybe the shooting one, for the target. Any Suggestions?

[Edited on 02/19/11 @ 12:43 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty1.0
Quality/Instructions1.0