Mod Packs » Age of Vampires - Bloodreign in Transylvania

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Age of Vampires - Bloodreign in Transylvania

Author File Description
Khan Ivayl
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Screenshot:
This mod pack uses Agamemnon's skeleton mod, dark_blade's bats mod and ROR_Sir_Williams dragon mod. Detailed credits are provided!

Currently Age of Vampires is a complete conversion, portraying a fantasy world inspired by Slavic mythology, Hungarian and Romanian history and Victorian age horror literature. Offers 8 mythical factions with 3 distinct building sets, several unique units, techs and buildings.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Khan Ivayl
File Author
I know I am saying it a little late, but if you have any impressions, opinions or suggestions...

please comment ;)
Sarn Downloading now. Might get a review up soon.
Sarn
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty4.5
Quality/Instructions4.5
This mod by Khan Ivayl changes the 5 civilizations from The COnquerors expansion (Huns, Spanish, Koreans, Mayans, and Aztecs) to Vampires, Werewolves, and Vampire Hunters (Bathory Clan, Dracul Clan, Vrolak, Transylvanians, and the Van Helsings). The amount of progress made on this mod from its first upload as an inside joke to its final place as a legitimate conversion has been great to see. This mod replaces an entire set of buildings, introduces a number of new units and technologies, and gives 5 new, unique civilizations, complete with history files and units and technologies to boot.

Usefulness/Novelty
Usefulness - 4
This mod is, as the author says, mostly an inside joke. It's not extremely useful, aside from some very specialized scenarios. Including English language files is a step up from the first version in this category. With the expansion to 5 civilizations and multiple new units and technologies, as well as new buildings and editor objects, this conversion could actually be used for a number of scenarios and/or campaigns revolving around pretty much anything Vampire-related.

Novelty - 5
This is definitely a very unique piece. I can honestly say I've never seen a mod like this before and I found it very fun to see all the ideas Khan Ivayl had and put in this work.

Quality/Instructions
Quality - 4.5
This is now, after many updates, quite a good mod. The only things holding this back from a 5 rating is that there are still some minor bugs. Overall though, they are small enough not to detract form the xperience of the game. A few anchors are still a little off (much better than before, however), and there are a few language edits that could be made (ie, language files still reference "Monks" instead of "Witches."). Overall though, the quality of the work that has been done makes these small problems almost insignificant.
In terms of the data and language files, I was pleased by how thoroughly the author replaced the Aztecs and Mayans. The computer opponent names are replaced, the ages have been renamed, and data edits were made to better fit the new units while still remaining balanced.

Instructions - 4.5
In my book, an custom installer is the best thing that can happen to a mod. It makes it absurdly easy to install, and assuming there's an uninstall as well, easy to remove when you're done. No file-shifting is needed and a first-time mod user can use it. The only thing holding this back is that after using the uninstall, I was missing a couple of the intro music when starting a RM game (Huns, Korean, and Spanish), and the Mayan and Aztec intros were the Vampire/Werewolf versions. This is, again, a very minor problem and is not, in my eyes, a glaring problem.

Usefulness/Novelty - 4.5
Quality/Instructions - 4.5

Overall: 4.5

In summary: This is a fun modpack, and compared to earlier versions, is a vast improvement. I highly recommend downloading this if you're planning on anything that has to do with Vampires and Werewolves. I especially loved the Headless Dracula and new wolves (I find the blueish gray a much more appealing color than the greenish color they have in the original AoK). In short: Download. Play. Enjoy.

[Edited on 12/29/11 @ 05:06 PM]

Khan Ivayl
File Author
It worked on my computer... I am puzzled

EDIT: The Mod has been fixed with regard to data-editing rejection by the c patch!

[Edited on 12/29/11 @ 11:59 PM]

alekshs Rating: 4
It's probably a masterpiece for Vampires' fans.
You ultimately change the Mayan and Aztec style with the Dracul Clan and the Vrikolak.The houses',churches',any building's design is appropriately changed--even the trees,the sheep and the turkeys!
The installation is very easy due to the installation utility,so there's nothing weird for it.
The only disappointing thing in all this is the restriction to only 2 civilizations.If there were more,the mod would hit the headline.

Additional Comments:
Very good mod pack,no bugs as far as i've seen and no problem during the installation.Well done,maintain the good job.
Khan Ivayl
File Author
Thank you, aleksh, glad you enjoyed. Just out of curiosity: Did the data-editing work for you?

greets,

Ivo
panel
Official Reviewer
i don't see how restricting to only 2 civilisations should bear any influence on the rating of the file. if the author would've advertised his product as a total conversion, it would be a different thing. But he has explicitly stated that it is a conversion of only 2 civs. If he has done a good job of what he has set out to achieve, i don't see that as reason for downgrading his work.

to use an inappropriate analogy, it's like downgrading Mona Lisa for being only 77X53 cm :)
Khan Ivayl
File Author
I am not angry about the downgrading, but panel has a point. I very consciously chose not to turn it into a total conversion pack. I want the vampires to stand up against humans, even though I was not able to isolate the human civs from all the changes that are most fitting for the vampires. Alekshs's idea is not too crazy, though, I actually have really considered a total conversion, including Egyptian mythology (Mummies) and Irish-Scottish Vampires. But then I'd rather make a part II for Age of Vampires, where I explore the Celtic spooks in a separate project...

greets,

Ivo

[Edited on 10/07/11 @ 04:57 AM]

Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
I agree with your point panel, but I too would personally like to see more than the two civilisations. I feel alekshs is every bit justified to make mention of his disappointment there but I'd probably not be so harsh in deducting a whole point, but to take the author's intention into account. IMHO, it doesn't have to be about making a "total-conversion mod" but even including one more team to the AoV mod would add a little more flexibility to the game. While it may have been your intention to stick to two teams only, there's always room for more. ;-)

@Khan Ivayl,

I hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty to update your title and game description to make it a little more legible, but without losing your original message.

[Edited on 10/08/11 @ 08:58 PM]

Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Original review retracted. I have posted a new review to take into account the new update.

[Edited on 08/04/15 @ 10:54 PM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty4.9