Author File Description
Cysion
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Puzzle
Screenshot:
The ultimate out of the box scenario!

Scenario Info

Victory: Lead Bertie and Extrañita through the scenario, they must not die!
Way to victory: Solve the puzzles along the road, using all your aoc knowledge.

However, the puzzles might be very difficult if not impossible for casual players. There is a full walk-through with screenshots available for when you're stuck here: www.aocbox.co.cc

Note: if a puzzle takes longer than 5 minutes to solve, you're probably doing it wrong :) Feel free to play on fast speed too.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Julius999
Official Reviewer
This is worth a look for those who like AoK puzzles.

However it suffered somewhat from common flaws of puzzle scenarios. Some were extremely hard and required knowledge of minutiae, and there were alternative unintended solutions in some cases.

I killed the hunt using the villagers, without discovering the archer until later. This did nothing, but after stealing the farms and killing the villagers, the town resigned and I was able to cut through the palisade. The bamboo tree I got past simply by the old switching tasks to make the villagers drop resources. I did the same to get past the bombard towers (which don't attack villagers on the difficulty you instructed me to use). I killed the archers with a war galley (including some repair). The maginot line simply never targetted my villagers.

I know puzzles can sometimes have more than one solution, but in these cases it would be an improvement to close these loopholes.

Sometimes I was also not sure in which direction I was supposed to head. Perhaps a few more instructions in this area would have been handy.
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
I couldn't even get past the second one, where you get the fish traps and are supposed to get across the river. :P

You ought to include a walktrough in the hints or scouts section. This looks very promising, but without help Bertie and Extrañita are going to be stuck chopping rotten wood for the rest of their life. :P
Lord Sipia
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
I've played through the game now; Those puzzles were quite hard. I liked most though, and well thought out. I still can't figure out what you meant with "kraut"fighters... What's a kraut?

Playability: 4
For my opinion, this scenario had good chances to play it through right; however, there are some alternative solutions that really should be thought off. The "save points" along the way really helped structure, as it indicates points where what you did earlier shouldn't matter anymore.

Balance: 3
Good puzzles, although some are fiendishly difficult and some are hardly worth thinking at- like the puzzle where you need to cut through the bamboo, the solution I had was exactly the same as the one in the first puzzle. Tbe joke in the middle of the scenario was a good mind-refreshment after thinking so much (although I already knew that one).

Creativity: 5
And here we have one of the best points. Most ideas were quite new (I've never played a scenario using these anyway). You could've varied the puzzles a bit more, however, as some were used twice (villagers-dropping-off, garrisoning tricks). Far not enough to lower the rating, though.

Map design: 4+
Really flawless map design to the end. Nicely made paths, rivers and towns all over the scenario. Quite inspiring to see to me, and I've hardly saw any parts that bored me or looked weird (apart from some points within puzzle, like the one in the far east corner of the map).

Story/instructions: 3
The story is not very depthed nor long, but still quite nice for a puzzle scenario, although I wonder how those two got on such a hard-to-reach island. The instructions were for most part not very clear; sometimes I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do and just guessed- I had it right for most part, but you could make points clearer, like what you should head for when you first meet the krautfighter-archers.

So, this scenario was nice to the end! Really adviced for players who have a lot of AOK experience and like puzzles.
Lord Sipia Lord Basse- if you're still wondering about the second puzzle, hasn't it stricken you odd that the fish traps haven't been finished yet? That's key. Hope that helps you. Good luck with figuring it out the rest.
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
Yeah, I saw the online walkthrough after posting that comment. I still think it should've been in the scenario itself though, so that you don't have to quit the game everytime you can't pass a puzzle. :P
Cysion
File Author
Thanks for the extensive replies guys, time for me to comment too :)

@Julius: it's very odd you got all these bugs. I had a lot of people playtest it for me and they never experienced the problems you described. Perhaps you didn't lock teams which messed up the diplomacy settings?

@Basse: true, I should include the walkthrough in the download too and not just on the website.

@Sipia: Krauts are a joking way to refer to Germans (derived from Sauerkraut, a German dish). Me and a friend use it a lot if we play against German players :p Which immediately declares the lack of story, the whole scenario is just a constant flood of meeting people I met while playing online, combined with some humor :)

And there are some loopholes indeed, although the 2nd bamboo piece is passed way faster by putting a palisade wall on top of it. I tried to limit these loopholes as much as possible, but don't know exactly how. Perhaps giving the tree 10000 wood so you know you wouldn't have to cut?

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. Some puzzles are indeed very hard, but that was my exact purpose :)

[Edited on 01/06/11 @ 08:23 PM]

Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
Thanks for the response. Once you update the scenario with the walthrough I'll give it a review. :)
Dtrungle
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability (4+)
Bertie's Quest is a pure puzzle genre scenario that is quite fascinating. Players who are attentive and willing to play it through should find some amusement for an hour or so. In addition, players might even learn something that they didn't know. In my case, the solution to Puzzle 3 was new to me. It was a good feeling learning something new. :)
Because of the scenario's format, replayability is essentially extinct. During gameplay, there were times where players need to wander around a tiny bit as the objectives weren't quite clear on what your key goal was. For example, at the mines, I had gained a mining camp but didn't realise it because there were also outposts converting to my side at the same time. To be fair though, the format of the scenario does give a hint that players would need to roam around and do some self problem solving. But, that slight feeling of being lost does negatively affect the player's experience with the game.
One of the most influential problem with the scenario was that some puzzles could be solved in sligtly or totally different ways. Generally, the different method takes a lot longer than the supposed method so I feel this detracts from the gameplay. I had an instance where I had to gather a lot of resources to complete the objective as I took a different route than the designer intended.

Balance (5)
Personally, I found the balance perfect for such a genre. The difficulty of the objectives range from easy to hard so in essence, the scenario appeals to all levels of players. The harder objectives can be easily completed if the players look at the walkthrough.

Creativity (5+)
Not much to say here that won't spoil it. There's 19 or so puzzles and a good amount of them is uniquely challenging, it really stimulates your brain. You should also feel enlightened after solving the puzzle so that's good.

Map Design (5-)
The map design suits the scenario nicely. Nothing detracts from the gameing experience and there weren't any overly long paths of nothing happening. The only fault I can see is that a few cliffs are too straight and too close to the waterline, personal preferences though maybe.

Story/Instructions (4+)
The storyline isn't anything spectacular but it suits the scenario well. It adds a little purpose to your gameplay which is a good thing to have. As for the story making sense, well, I gave it leeway because of the scenario's genre. The walkthrough is on a website and the link to it is in the file description which is likely a bad thing. It would be better if the walkthrough was in the scenario or if the link is given in the there. As previously mentioned, instructions were a tad vague in some areas. This with the walkthrough missing a few things hurts the score.

Comments (SPOILERS)
I did the task with the repairing of the tower differently. Instead of mining for stone, you could collect food and wood and use the market to complete it. That way is a lot longer though.
The one with the archer group, you could slowly kill them off by using your ram as bait. I'm sure you can also collect resources and build towers.
The killing of the boars can be done without the walls.
The toll guard one can be done by luring the guard out to the side and then using the boat to travel away so that the guard won't see you.
There's a few more, and probably some that I don't know of.
Cysion
File Author
I included a detailed walkthrough in the download.
Carlos Ferdinand Wow, cysion in scenario design? rox

will try to play it hope i get some time
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown