Single Player Scenarios » 1453 - The Last Siege of Constantinople

Download File Post Review Post Comment

1453 - The Last Siege of Constantinople

Author File Description
RladalFatih
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Build and Destroy
May 29th, 1453: Mehmed II, the young sultan of the Ottoman Empire, enter in History. After a siege of 55 day, Constantinople, the last stronghold of byzantine resistance was finally taken. Yes, the turkish forces were huge, and the Basileus Constantine XI only had 7000 soldiers under his command to defeat troops fifteen times more numerous. But Constantinople was the most fortified city in all the known world, and its walls resisted against the hordes of Attila, the saracen armies, the Hungarians, the Slavics and the Persians. Now, it is your turn to try to take the New Rome, and to destroy the legendary walls that protect the city.

For this, you will need to use wisely your janissaries, the elite of ottoman army, and your bombard cannons. Prepare you to defeat the terrible foot knights of the genoese commander Giovanni Giustinianni, to destroy legions of elite cataphtracts from the Constantine XI army and to breach the incredibly strong wall of Theodosius. The fight will be hard...

It is my first scenario, so please send some comments if you have enjoyed of it (or if you hated it too: I just want to improve me and my eventual future creations). The concept is far to be revolutionnary: it is just a little build and destroy, with 140 triggers to do it a bit interesting. But most of what I present there is historically accurate, and the map was build with a historical map of Constantinople.

Other detail: this version is a translated one of the original file, in French. I translated it with all the knowledge of Shakespeare's language that a secondary 3 student can have. So excuse in advance all the mistakes in dialogs.

Finally, I need to thanks Zanzard Lothar for his Advanced Immobile units AI, and Pureknickers for his PK_Byzan01_Econ AI script.

P.S. It is possible, if your computer is old, that the programm lag, or crash. Watch out with little configurations...

Last update:

The scenario is now slightly level dynamic: on easier levels, the player starts with a castle, and the walls of Constantinople are less strong. Also, I added more ressources, and accelerated the activation of some important triggers.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Thanks for updating this to include an English translation! :-)

I've decided to approve the file, however I encountered an AI error at the start of the game.

Player 3
File PK_Byzan01_Econ/constants.per
ERR5001: File open failed

I did extract the AI into the AI folder so I don't think there's anything wrong on my side, but it could just be that. Anyway, just letting you know.
RladalFatih
File Author
I updated the file, and solve the problem of AI file opening, so the scenario now run properly.
weaz I must say: the map design is very nice. The city looks pretty and is a nicely balanced between authenticity and gameplay. Amazing for a first scenario.

But if there is one thing that bothers me: time limit :( . I'm one of those people who hates. Or release it as scenario as well ( si vous voulez ;) ) so I can alter it myself.
RladalFatih
File Author
I putted this time limit for one reason: I think that there is not a lot of challenge when you have all the time that you want against an ennemy who keep the defensive during all the game. But when the time is counted, you must hurry to attack as fast it is possible and to press continuously the assault against Constantinople. It is more challenging, in my opinion, and two hours are largely sufficient to crush any Byzantine resitance. Mais je vous remercie pour le commentaire.

Edit:

I want comments... Please! Take some minutes of your precious time to give some councils to a poor scenario designer who begin in this art. And, if you feel generous, I don't say no to a review. Some stars could be a good addition beside of the title of my scenario.
À votre bon coeur, braves gens!

[Edited on 02/11/11 @ 01:06 AM]

TheLaughingMule If you want more people to see your file, present it in the AoKH Scenario Design Forum.

To request a review go to the Review Requests, about Reviewing and Tutorials III thread:

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=39886&f=4,,0,20&st=120

Also - no double posting please.
Popeychops
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
1453 - The Last Siege of Constantinople; a recreation of the final days of the Byzantine Empire. The player controls the armies of the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II, tasked with breaking the substantial fortifications surrounding the city and capturing it, without destroying the Church of Holy Wisdom: the Hagia Sophia. The armies of Byzantium do not take kindly to your ambitions, and will fight you at any opportunity that arises.

Playability: 3
No different from the classic build and destroy, the player starts with a powerful enemy and meagre forces. The player must defend himself from a rampant opponent while raising an economy able to knock the enemy off his perch. The player, however, is constantly on the back foot despite being the besieger. The famous walls of Constantinople have been recreated, lined with towers. All of these towers have been rasied to 30000HP, making their destruction extremely tedious, even with the player's buffed cannon. I feel the player needs either more artillery or a weaker enemy. The game is mostly spent camped outside the walls, like an actual siege. While being historical, it is repetitive and can become dull.

Balance: 2
The scenario has been poorly balanced, with the difficulty heavily in favour of the CPU. Even with no AI, the armies periodically sent to harry the player are brutally effective at reducing their men, and the loss of a single trebuchet or the bombard cannon means disaster for the player's efforts to breach the walls. Removing the player's ability to build defensive structures is crucial, as turtling would help the player immensely. The greatest mistake is removing castles, since the lack of jannisaries, trebuchets, petards and spies severely hampers the ability to defeat the opponents. The Turkish civilisation has no pikemen or halberdiers, and the player cannot train camelry. This gives the player no anti-cavalry unit. The result is the player having to spend vast amounts of gold and food producing endless streams of cavaliers and heavy cavalry archers to counter the enemy's cataphracts. The already gold-strapped player needs a cheaper alternative. Lastly, the player's lacklustre economy puts it in no position to compete militarily. More villagers and town centres would be a good start towards correcting this.

Creativity: 3
Nothing of merit has been provided to enhance the gameplay beyond a random map affair. The prebuilt city is attractive and well laid-out, but very little else is on offer.

Map Design: 3
The city of constantinople is excellently recreated in a fashion similar to the one found in the Barbarossa campaign. The remainder of the map has been inspired by the Thracian countryside, but has not been crafted with a great deal of effort. Elevation has been used, to limited effect, in the placement of molehills across the battlefield.

Story/Instructions: 5
A brief summary of the history surrounding the siege has been well written, with a few grammatical errors. These are, however, forgiveable as english does not appear to be the designer's original language.
Hints and instructions provided are thorough and detailed, more than enough to get the player going.

Additional Comments:
The Last Siege of Constantinople is an attempt to recreate the final days of the Eastern Roman Empire. With some improvement it could be an excellent scenario, but as it stands it is too hard to truly warrant attention.
RladalFatih
File Author
Thanks for review: I wanted to do my scenario hard, and now I see that I accomplish too well this objective... I will see what I can do to correct the balance and make it possible to win.
TomYo689 How do we get it? There is no .scx file is this even a scenario? It sounds like fun but all it comes with is an ai a video and a .cpx which doesn't do anything. I can't even move the .cpx into the scenario folder

[Edited on 03/08/11 @ 12:31 AM]

RladalFatih
File Author
As if "1453-The last siege of Constantinople" is a scenario, it is a .cpx file. I edited my work with the campaign editor, so, in theory, my work is a campaign with only one scenario in it. Just copy the .cpx file in the folder "campaign", and you will be able to enjoy of my work (but I hope for you that you are an expert on AoK..)

If you want to know what an .avi file did in the folder, it is just the result of an experience to add a video at the beginning of the scenario, that failed. So I decided to put it there, I you just want to look for a little cinematographic introduction to the events.

Et, tant qu'à en avoir l'occasion, I must say: your map of the Yellow Sea is really nice.
alekshs I played your map 1-2 times and,the moment a boat is arriving (i don't know if it's mine or the opponent's),the game crashes.You may need to fix this.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0