Mod Packs » Falxman

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Falxman

Author File Description
Dave3377
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Screenshot:
This turns the Japaneese unique unit into a Dacian/Thracian Falxman. The falx is a 2-handed bladed weapon that curves away from the user. It was used by the Dacians, Thracians, and Bastarnea. It may have doubled as a scythe durring harvest time, but was especially effective a splitting and ripping away opponents shields.

As you can see this is just a male villager I edited.

Will be used in my Romanian mod pack and super long campaign hopefully coming at some point.

UPDATED to fix anchors
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
The falxman modification looks cool, however the graphics (including dying graphics) are still very choppy when in combat. A little disappointing, but promising some nice potential.

Good luck on your campaign, I look forward to its release. :-)

[Edited on 01/24/11 @ 07:45 AM]

Dave3377
File Author
I made this a year ago and don't recall but am willing to bet that the Samuria had a different number of attack frames than the male villager, which makes them a bit choppy when replacing one unit with graphics derived from another.

Also I usually don't do much with the rotting frames. I just never know how to make it match those from AoK.

[Edited on 01/24/11 @ 05:45 PM]

Sarn
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty3.0
Quality/Instructions3.0
The Falxman is a Romanian unit that replaces the Samurai. While it shows promise, there are some crippling bugs that need to be addressed.

Usefulness/Novelty - 3
Usefulness - 2
The Falxman is quite location-specific. While it could be used as a barbarian warrior of some kind, it's primary use is as a Romanian warrior. The biggest reduction in usefulness is the attacking graphics, which are so buggy the unit is unusable in any situation requiring combat, which is almost any situation it would be used for.
Novelty - 4
This unit is quite novel and is unique. It's not something seen frequently, but still seems less than strikingly new or groundbreaking.

Quality/Instructions - 3.5
Quality - 3
The attacking frames jumped all over the places, making it unusable for attacking. The anchors for the corpse were off, causing the dead body to jump when the dying animation finished.
Instructions - 4
Instructions are not included, which are usually not needed for a modpack, but are always a good idea to include, in the off chance that someone completely new to modding comes along and downloads it.

Usefulness/Novelty - 3
Quality/Instructions - 3.5
Overall - 3

I give this a three because the attacking graphics and the misplaced anchors when dying make this modpack only half-usable.

Overall: Shows promise, but needs an update before it is usable. Personally, I would love to see a fixed version.
Dave3377
File Author
Hmmm. I made this unit for a large mod pack I'm working on but submitted it separately (the big mod pack will take a while). But it sounds like I failed to import some of the anchors. I'll get this fixed and submit an update.
Sarn If/when you update it, I'll update my review accordingly. Hope to see it finished, I really like this unit.
Dave3377
File Author
It's updated.

I totally agree with the usefulness being minimal. It's a critcal unit for Romanian's early history of pre-Roman and Roman conquest, and I made it so I figured I share it.

It's a shame he doesn't stand out from the male villager (which he's made from) more, but shirtless and bearded is how they fought.

[Edited on 02/14/11 @ 05:56 PM]

TheMorinaiz
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty4.5
Quality/Instructions4.5
Very nice, I highly recommend downloading at all.

Usefulness: 5 Unlike other mod, you can safely keep this permanently installed and not just for fantasy or similar scenarios.

Novelty: 5 Units rarely seen so innovative that does not clash with the game.

Quality: 4 Done very well, with the anchors set is one of the best Mod pack that I have ever seen.

Instructions: 4 The instructions are not included but are not necessary for a mod pack, unless it is new to the site.

Rating: 4.5

[Edited on 10/02/11 @ 06:33 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty3.8