Author File Description
trisatya
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Role Playing Only
Number of scenarios: 1
Screenshot:
THE STORY:
Rock Engelheart, the easy-going and often reckless son of Ralph Engelheart, a renowned American archaeologist and treasure hunter, went to the Valley of Mexico alongside his father and his colleagues with intention to explore some recently discovered remnants of the Aztec civilization. When the team was searching around the site, Rock unearthed a peculiar artifact that came in the form of a wooden scabbard, sticking firmly to the ground. Driven by curiosity, he made an effort to pull the artifact, and suddenly, a blinding ray of light illuminated from it. Afterwards, he found himself in a void of nothingness, guided by a mysterious voice that speaks nonsense. The next thing he knew, he had somehow warped to a different dimension he didn't recognize.

After he came up with an assumption that the artifact was some sort of a teleportation device, he decided to wander around and seek out his whereabouts, despite of being completely unaware of how distant he was sent from home. On the way, he stumbled across the local inhabitants who faithfully believed that in reference to an ancient prophecy, he was a Cherub reincarnation descended from the Heavens. They pled for his help to save the land from an impending threat, which seemingly had always been his destiny. What will he do? Ignore their ridiculous words and keep searching for a way to get back home or come out as a supposed knight in shining armor? This is where the story goes.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
This scenario is only a demonstration/sneak preview. You'll only be playing for about half an hour, until you reach the point where the scenario come to an abrupt end. Most of the map is still empty, but the parts revealed to you is enough to show how it's gonna be. There are a lot of things to expect in the full campaign, I'll be making a thread in the SD&M forum some time later to explain further.

Thank you for downloading!

Regards,
Andanu Trisatya
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
This is a good improvement from your last version, Andan. To pick out one thing in particular, the template of the village is realistic and looks good and the story reminds me of an old action-adventure RPG I used to play over a decade ago. In saying that, I encountered a bug toward the end of the game when looking for the chief's house, which impeded game play and I could not play any further. Before the bridge that divides the town, Sadina became caught up with three other units (an archer, petard and spearman if I recall correctly) between two houses along a rather narrow thoroughfare. I assume for the story to progress further Sadina had to have been present at the Chief's house. Unfortunately I had last saved the game after defeating the boars and couldn't be bothered going through all that story again. It was interesting though, and I'd like to see where it's going.

[Edited on 02/08/11 @ 09:41 PM]

trisatya
File Author
First and foremost, thank you for approving this scenario, Mash. :)

To be frank, I have literally self-tested this almost a hundred times, and she never got stuck on the way to the chief's house. Do you happen to play on Fast speed? I made and tested it based on normal speed, so maybe the fast speed is the cause of the bug. It's not really the end of the game, though, you were supposed to go somewhere (and have another battle with freaking boars) after a long dialogue with the chief.

Thank you for the input, maybe I could change where the villagers walk around or widen the village path around the bridge a little bit, although I'm strongly against the latter option as it would ruin the realistic atmosphere of the village in my view. Also, thank you very much for the comment and support Mashek, I greatly appreciate it! I'm now working full time on this scenario and put my other projects on hold. :D
Mash
Staff
Official Reviewer
It's my pleasure Andan. I was playing on normal speed, by the way. If you need further help I'm always here.
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
Nice scenario. Hope to see the full version soon.
Oh, and please post on sws forums.
Mash
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
'Cherub Rock - Prelude' is a so far unfinished single scenario, an introduction into Rock Engelheart's upturned life as he suddenly finds himself stranded in a strange, fictitious world, after uncovering a scabbard during an archaeological dig. While limited to perhaps 30 or more minutes, the scenario promises plenty of role-playing game play and an intriguing and adventurous story.

The scenario seems directly influenced from many of the Japanese RPGS from the past, which in some way, provides a nostalgic return to those days when playing this scenario, even if after all it is only a demo.

PLAYABILITY: As for every unfinished scenario such as this, it's always been an important rule to never award perfect ratings in any one category, but to be harsh so that the author may benefit from the criticism and take something from the review. With this in mind I approach 'Cherub Rock', an overall nice little prelude to a hopefully still upcoming project-in-the-works, with fresh, RPG-orientated game play, and an interesting story line. The game play works smoothly and despite some overly long dialogue the author still manages to maintain my attention and keep me wanting to know what happens next. The characters are likeable and the design promises plenty of exploration on a large map. However, there are just a few bugs which I encountered during my play. Firstly, when following Sadina to the village chief's house on my first go, she suddenly had the habit of becoming caught up in the bustle of village life and I could not progress the story. I had to reload all the way back just before I came into the village. I was a little impatient that night and going through all that dialogue between Rock and Sadina again, while interesting and at some points humorous, wasn't my cup of tea. Secondly, I had to laugh when the hunter gave me his clothes when departing the village. It seemed a bit unrealistic that he'd just strip off right then and there. Perhaps an alternative would be that the hunter gives the player a choice to go back to his house where he may collect an outfit? A few other minor problems I had included particular quirks with the objectives screen. When you received the dull blade I did not receive the +2AP for Rock, and Sadina should have been added to the party list once she joined Rock on the quest to the caves. In all, an intriguing demo with plenty of detail and lots of potential as one of this year's more exciting scenarios, truly, with a role-playing twist. 4.0

BALANCE: While the demo features predominant amounts of walking and talking, the fighting the player does encounter is creative and challenging. Utilising certain strategic combat bonuses in-built to the game, victory is by no means easily acquired. It's a nice step from simply waltzing into the arena and letting all hell break loose, but the player must really take a step back and think. It was a good idea to have the enemy become stronger as the player gains experience and better arms and armour. 4.0

CREATIVITY: The scenario promises some nice RPG-orientated game play, with potential party members, equipment and many quests along the way in the complete version. So far there are only a few quests, but it's a nice set-up and gets the player into it. I enjoyed the attention to detail and the fresh approach the author has chosen to display dialogue, as well as the abundance of sound effects that are fitting to the style, and story-orientated play. I will be looking forward to the complete version. 3.0+

MAP DESIGN: A lovely design with steep mountain passes overgrown with foliage and a realistic village with plenty of things happening. It is clear the author has applied lots of attention to detail here and there were always things to look at to draw the eye, with the promise of lots more in the complete version of the game. There were a few personal hiccups but really nothing profound. I just hope the author manages less linear-orientated game play as the scenario progresses, giving the player multiple paths to choose from but also more replay value. 5.0-

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS: There is little here I did not like and even if as a personal preference you don't like long dialogue and some walking, RPG fans are going to appreciate the level of detail here but also the much-needed fresh outlook the author has given the game. Instructions were enough but never really needed as everything was explained well in-game and there was never a point where you sat back and thought, "Okay, what do I do now?" I did however encounter a few spelling mistakes along the way and some words that weren't quite the right choice, but nothing that impeded my understanding of the story. Really, the author's grasp of English is excellent, even though it is not his first language. A minor note, but 'Equipments' should not feature an s on the end, it acts as its own plural. Also, be sure to omit words like "gotta" and "see ya" from the conversations of the native people (e.g. the hunter); such words are certainly spelt as they sound and is more twenty-first century than anything. 4.0+

CONCLUSION: This is a refined demo and a much better experience than its predecessor submitted back in 2009. I eagerly await the full release, which will hopefully be out this year. Fingers crossed.

In a sentence - Exciting and 'fresh', Cherub Rock promises a complete role-playing experience with good story and characters.

In closing - I recommend this download.

[Edited on 09/23/12 @ 10:39 PM]

trisatya
File Author
Wow, your in-depth review just made this scenario more interesting than it actually was, Mashek. Thank you very much for spending your time to write it down. :)

About Sadina's habit of getting stuck at the bridge, I think I've taken care of it by tasking only one person crossing the bridge back and forth. Thank you for coming across that unexpected bug!

About the hunter stripping his clothes off, I can't agree more with you -- it's too unrealistic for someone to give up his clothes to someone he doesn't even know, for such a vague reason, lol. Also, I was reluctant about adding Sadina to the party list since she's merely a convoy NPC, and isn't fully controlled by the player, but I guess I should have added her anyway. Thanks for pointing them out!

The dull blade does increase Rock's AP by 2, but since Rock's unit is a Samurai, which is shown to have a base AP of 8 while Rock's starting AP is 4, the +2 bonus won't be noticeable (I think the only to realize it is by looking at reduction level of the boars' health). The only bug I noticed is that Rock got way too much experience (represented by stones) after he managed to slay all three boars.

Thanks for the advice on giving players multiple paths, I think I'm going to incorporate that aspect to some extent (e.g. whether to help or hinder the player), while still retaining the overall linearity of the plot. Also, thank you for the minor grammatical corrections and tips, I'll keep them in mind!

Again, thank you for yet another great review! I really appreciate your every praise and criticism about this little work of mine, as they motivate me and giving me lessons to learn and improve. I hope to see more of them in the future when this becomes a finished product. Keep your fingers crossed! ;)
Mash
Staff
Official Reviewer
Again, it's my pleasure Andan.

About Sadina, I don't think it would matter whether she was NPC-controlled or not. Being with the player and in the player's charge more than warrants her as part of the party.

I'm glad you like my idea on multiple paths; I do like the linear game play, and if I might say comes with role-playing scenarios such as this. I just don't want you to become bogged down in giving the player only one direction to follow, not that you do this in the demo. I feel you've designed the scenario in such a way that it feels like an open world, and not constricting the player too much. I do feel that multiple paths and options for the player to choose will however make the scenario all the more enjoyable and fresh.

Keep up the good work and remember that if you need help with anything I'm always here. ;-)

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0