Mod Packs » Round Shield Longswordsman

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Round Shield Longswordsman

Author File Description
Dave3377
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Screenshot:
This just gives the longswordsman an elite skirmisher's shield.

SLPs are included and it isn't password protected, use as you like.

Just use MPS to install.

Wes337 made a similar mod back in 01' but used a throwing axeman's head too. Unfortunately his version had some clear spots and the axeman head was backwards half the time. So I made this one myself.

I plan to edit him slightly giving him a curved sword and a pointed helmet to transform him into a Bulgarian, Magyar, or other Eastern Nomad swordsman.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Lanor wasn't there a soldier that looked like that in age of chivalry as the burgudian unique unit coustilier that was later changed to itialian mercenary and given a new graphic.
Well i might use your unit after you updated it when it looks more Bulgarian like
Dave3377
File Author
Age of chivalry never worked on my pc. I think it's because I didn't have the C patch. Also I started this unit before the Age of Chivalry SLP's went up so you might be right. I'll have to check it out.

If the age of chivalry unit looks better I might edit it but either way I'm planning on making a Bulgarian/Magyar looking swordsman out of this unit. This was just a mid point.
monsterslayer well you can see that unit searching for new swordsman in blacksmith section. thats the original unit which kor get inspired.
Dave3377
File Author
Same inspiration=same results. I guess I could have saved myself some time. lol.
Kor
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
Yes, I also used Wes' unit as inspiration, but I suppose mine is a little different because I gave the soldier an elite skirmisher helmet. I also fixed the transparency problems of the shield that were present in the original.
Sebastien
Staff
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty3.5
Quality/Instructions3.5
Rating: 3.5

I've noticed quite a few copy and paste units uploaded to the blacksmith lately. It's great people are modding AOK more frequently and I'm thoroughly looking forward to some of the upcoming mod packs.

However, no matter how many new units pop up in the blacksmith lately nothing really inspires me or takes my fancy.

This file in particular, technically is one of the better ones of late. It works without any flaws that I could notice and is quite clean and polished in the graphics (I.e. no floaty bits or cut off parts).

The downside: It's so unimaginative. Its boring and serves no extra purpose. It's literally a different shield on the longswordsman. Amazing? No. When playing in game do I get a sense of overwhelming awesomness? No. The point of it? None.

It's technically a good attempt. Imagination leaves much to be desired.

Additional Comments:

What you see is what you get? Would I recommend downloading? Personally I'd say, does it really matter? Yes or no, it's up to you.

Perhaps if this unit was released in a full unit pack with other replacements as well as this one, there might have been a theme going and would be more enjoyable and I would have rated it higher.

Tharin Hands down one of my favorites next to the weapon stack, it's simple but keeps the ugly European shield from showing up in middle eastern civ's. Keep on working on things like this.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty3.5
Quality/Instructions3.5
Statistics