Mod Packs » Eastern Swordsman

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Eastern Swordsman

Author File Description
Dave3377
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Screenshot:
This gives the longswordsman an elite skirmishers shield and a curved sword. It also adds a more eastern looking point to the top of his helmet. Could be used as a Bulgarian, Magyar, Mongolic, or possibly even arab or asian swordsman (but the latter two are probably a stretch).

Just install with MPS. Also slp's are included if you want to replace something other than the longswordsman.

Use as you like.

UPDATE 3/10/2011 I was annoyed with the shield looking too western european, so I modified it. The new one looks more Bulgarian (see lower images). I included SLP's for both the new and old version in case anyone perfers the older one (see upper images).
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
A much more useful unit. Thanks for sharing.
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Would be nice if he was given more eastern looking clothes.
Dave3377
File Author
@Possidon

Good point. But from the images I've found I'm not sure how they should differ. But honestly I'm probably not good enough at this to pull it off anyways.
Lanor @Dave I think I will use that soldier in my mod for a Bulgarian swordsman
Sarn
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty3.5
Quality/Instructions3.5
This mod is an update of Dave3377's round-shield long swordsman. He has added the curved sword and pointed helmet he mentioned in his first version.

Usefulness/Novelty
Usefulness - 3
This mod is more useful than the original mod by Dave3377, but as just one unit, it is limited in its use. It is primarily intended for eastern European use, but in a stretch could be used for Middle-eastern or Asian scenarios. Us such, it is quite useful as a single unit replacement.

Novelty - 3
I like this mod because, while the changes aren't drastic, it's enough to make a noticeably different unit. An eastern swordsman is still rare enough to stand out and be worth looking at. The novelty, however, of a new swordsman is beginning to wear off. As part of a larger pack, these swordsmen would be great, but alone, they're not nearly as impressive or novel. A classic example of the sum of the parts being greater than each individual piece.

Quality/Instructions
Quality - 4
Overall, this unit is a decent copy-paste job, however, the shield is often a little distorted, especially when walking south. It floats around on the unit's arm but doesn't always lock to it, making it shake a little. I did like that there was an icon as well though.

Instructions - 3
A modpack script, everyone should know how to use it, but a simple readme would be recommended next time. It's not too hard to write a quick readme telling what to do.

Usefulness/Novelty - 3
Quality/Instructions - 3.5

Overall: 3.25--> 3.5

In summary: A decent unit, but needs some work still, especially on the shield. As is now, it's worth downloading if you have a specific need for it, but as a general purpose unit, there are others out there.
Possidon
Official Reviewer
If you added the Jannissary robes to it. it would have looked awesome.
Dave3377
File Author
Great idea Possidon!

When I get to phase 2 of my Romanian project I'll give that a try for my Ottoman invaders.
Charging_Knight Lovely modification, simple but useful. This unit is what I am going to use for my Crusades campaign as the Saracen infantry while I retain the men-at-arms with long shields for the Franks. Superb. Two thumbs up!
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Dave can you give me your email address because I have a proposition for you. I have an unfinished unit that I cannot find time to finish. I was wondering if you could finish it and I will give you credit. Email me if you want to help. Your units are great by the way!
Dave3377
File Author
Right now I'm working on way too many units as it is and I just can't commit to any more right now. Sorry.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty3.5
Quality/Instructions3.5