Download File Post Review Post Comment

MGC11 - Counter Tactics

Author File Description
fenix42
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force

Counter Tactics

As a newly appointed captain of the local militia, you must protect the borders of the land of Sherish. In this short mini-game, you must use strategy to correctly counter off enemy invaders!

Read the readme.txt file for some game information.

This is my entry into the 2011 Mini-Game contest. The game isn't as long or as polished as I would have liked it to be (time issues) but I hope you enjoy it.

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
This seems kinda unique, and I like how you keep the game moving and fun with each new wave. However, can I actually be defeated? I lost the third or fourth wave (the one with the three throwing axeman and at least six men-at-arms) and there was no consequence for my loss.

[Edited on 05/23/11 @ 10:41 PM]

fenix42
File Author
Ahh thanks, I wanted to make it even longer with a lot of different battle types but never got to that.

Anyway, there's no defeat trigger just in case you want to reload from a save point when you lose.
Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions3.0
"Counter Tactics" is a minigame which takes place on a minuscule map. Its a fairly simple but reasonable gameplay based on unit micromanagement, but there seems to be no winning or losing implemented.

Playability 3

Its amusing enough to kill off the enemies in many of the matchups, and the player has many choices for replayability. You can select different squads to face each level of the escalating challenges with which would provide an incentive to replay over and over, except they are all a bit too similar and rely on micromanagement instead of much in the way of tactics. I find it a bit wearisome to run in circles whittling down enemies repeatedly.

Balance 3

The difficulty is mostly on point, with all battles but one being winnable. The problem for me lies in the nature of the challenge presented. Mostly it comes down to lure tactics, going in circles with decoys and other micromanagement tricks to kill off the enemy. Its obvious that a cavalry archer can kill infinite numbers of longswordmen, for example, but who would want to do so?

At one point the player must face a wave with endless dozens of huskarls spawning. Considering the small scope of the players army, this surely must be a trigger bug. With the assistance of cheats, I got passed this wave but found the wave that seems to be the finale is on a infinite loop;I won this final battle fairly easily over and over but the scenario never ends.

Creativity 3+

The scenario did well to provide a unique gameplay as the same map was used repeatedly for new scenes and situations, and the gamplay was sufficiently varied with new troops to try out in each run, though I found they mostly performed the same. Perhaps greater usage of all the units in the game would have helped to make each squad choice more impactful. The story was just substantial enough to add a little interest, though it could have been deeper. There is a lack of atmosphere, which some music and sound effects would have remedied. Its a bit unfortunate the scenario has no winning or loss conditions, which makes it feel somewhat unfinished.

Map Design 2

The map is a reasonable looking green forest that could get a 3 on a significantly larger map size;on the 25x25 size which fits a single screenshot, its considerably underwhelming. Many forage bushes show their white outline behind trees, for instance. Its an ordinary forest with terrain mixing and elevation usage as to be expected, with broken apart trees and the gaia flowers used as decoration.

Story\Objectives 3

There is a basic story present which lends some meaning to the gameplay and your actions, though its a bit lightweight. The scouts and history section has been neglected as no indepth lore was created for the map. The hints don't lend much assistance or insight into the games mechanics.

Final Thoughts:A playable game with plenty of content, its also nothing particularly exciting either.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0