Julius999
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Other
Number of scenarios: 2
The Princes' Revolt
Entry to the Myth, Legend and History Contest

Background

This is a historical scenario about the revolt in 1173-74 against King Henry II of England by his own sons. The style of the scenario is intended to be something of a cross between a normal B&D and a Risk-style scenario. Play as the King and restore order to the realm.

Features

• Capture (and lose) towns and cities
• Raid merchants and murder innocent civilians for extra gold
• Lay siege to your enemies to cut off their food supplies
• Data editing
• Giant map
• Introductory cutscene scenario

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Julius999
Official Reviewer
File Author
All comments welcome, and particularly reviews.

Thanks to:

Lord Basse [Music]
Marko Crnigoj [Sound Effects]
Digit [AoK:TS]
StSB77 [Advanced GeniEd]
Gojoseon [Hosting the contest]
Stormwind Studios Design Team

[Edited on 08/17/11 @ 11:58 AM]

Devious Dev
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
Official Reviewer
Good to see this is out im downloading right now!
John_G For some week now I have been reading about king Henry II and his sons, so this cut-scene was a nice surprise. King Henry II life and tragedies with his sons are almost like an Shakespeare story.

I liked the music in this cut-scene but the text flow was too fast for me (I used normal game speed). I would prefer a slower text flow.

I am not sure how the cut-scene should end, but for me it ended when Henry saying something like: "not even God will stop a fair legal system". The music ended and nothing more seem to happen.
Devious Dev
Official Reviewer
Wow this is high quality! I recommend to download and ill surely review it soon!
Julius999
Official Reviewer
File Author
John: Are you using the data file included? I've tested the cutscene myself several times and it should work.
Thekingof555
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
The Princes’ revolt consists of two scenarios; one short cutscene and a large playable scenario. The playable scenario features a unique kind of build & destroy, where the player has to capture cities and villages and defend them against huge enemy attacks.

PLAYABILITY: 4+
Let’s talk about the cutscene first. It is a nice, not very special cutscene to introduce the player into the story. It runs very smoothly except for some of the dialogues, which are sometimes a bit too fast (for me, that is).
The first scenario starts with the siege of London. The player has to defend the city against several enemy attacks. After you break the siege, you will need to conquer every city and village on the map.
A downside about this is that the attacks on the towns and defending yourself was practically the same throughout the whole game. I lost interest near the end (but I forced myself to play on). It would have been nice if there was a side-quest or something, but that might make the scenario historically inaccurate.
Near end of the scenario, when the player reaches his population limit, the game can sometimes be very laggy (especially when launching large-scale attacks). It was a little annoying, but not too bothersome.
Different tracks were being played during the scenario, which suited the game well, though it drove me crazy listening to them all the time.

BALANCE: 4+
Overall, the scenario is very well balanced. However, some points were a bit easy for me. I had hardly any trouble defending London and destroying the surrounding siege camps. This also applies for capturing the first villages. After liberating London completely from the siege, the player gets a huge stream of taxes. When the enemy was attacking one of my settlements, I could easily create an army to repel them, since the training time for the units is extremely small. I also noticed London will never be attacked later in the game (maybe that’s because I captured the southern villages very quickly).
The only really hard part in the scenario was when I attacked Nottingham. It took me quite a while to take down the defenses of this city.

CREATIVITY: 5+
I think this was the best part of the scenario! The game features (at least for me) an unknown part of history, making it all very interesting.
The author included a modified data file which makes a bunch of new effects possible. The training time of units, the food system, supply carts and siege camps made the campaign have a very unique feel. Together with the music and map design it has become a very ingenious scenario.

MAP DESIGN: 5
I really like the way how the author creates the look of the maps. It looks a little similar to the maps of his other works, but that doesn’t matter much. The towns were neat, London was good (maybe a little too much dirt 1?) and even the sea looked great. The only downside was that the map felt a bit empty between the towns. This detail is not enough to lower the rating though.

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS: 4+
The story and the instructions are nicely written. However, I thought the instructions were not yet complete. It doesn’t say that the prices of the units were different and the training time is much lower. I found it out after failing my very first try.

OVERALL RATING: 4.4

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
This is a very good scenario and a highly recommended download!

[Edited on 08/18/11 @ 04:48 AM]

Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
A really good scenario Julius. I haven't checked out the competition yet, but this could very well win the whole thing. The data edited RISK/B&D system was a great addition to Daftpanzer's RISK system, refining the RISK style of playing.

There were some bugs, like the one Watson mentioned at SWS where rebel soldiers still spawn after you've taken control over a town (for me it was Bishop's Lynn, or whatever the name was, and not Lincoln). And the fact that capturing Durham was easier that I think you wanted it to be; once you got beyond the gates you didn't have to kill off the enemy garrison, the town just converted to your side. Maybe that is as intended, but I found it a bit anticlimactical.

Balance is also a small problem. I played on moderate, and the initial attacks on London were brutal. I eventually had to cheat to be able to go on the offensive at all. The latter part of the scenario is quite easy though. Once your enemy only has two or three towns left, you can basically steamroll over them. Maybe you ought to add in more and larger events like the army from Hastings later on in the game, to make a challenge to the very end? Still, the balance is good as it is, but it's a bit uneven.

Map design is overall very good, both aesthetically and strategically, although some areas are a bit bare and repetitive.

The intro cut-scene also felt very rushed, and the text often flew by a bit too fast.

But overall I think it's a great scenario, and I had much fun playing it. :)

[Edited on 08/17/11 @ 07:57 PM]

fenix42 Just finished the campaign. This is the first campaign I've played from the MLH contest and it was pretty decent.

I was wondering if the sieges made the cities surrender. Durham was the last place I took and the only place that I built a siege camp. After that they surrendered after a few minutes and I won lol...(I was sad, had a massive army ready to storm the gate)

There were a few cities whose gates I found were allied so I could just waltz in but some others that I had to use rams.

Overall nice map design and gameplay!
Francis de Talking France
(id: Watson)
Basse: I found the beginning quite easy and the sieges of the late game quite tough. Possibly London isn't so brutal on Standard? :P
Devious Dev
Official Reviewer
Okay i have finnally finished it now, here are my thoughts:

It is really a good campagin, deserves 5 stars in my oponion.

(quote from lord basse) for me it was Bishop's Lynn, (quote)

Yes i got that bug too, and always it was pretty bad.

Perhaps on Standard mode, you should give King henry more hp because you are busy with all kind of things (for example besieging nottingham :p) And suddenly he dies. I had to restart serveral times on standard mode, and it was just a bit too hard for my taste.

In the first try i captured bishops lynn first. After that ALL troops of the enemy attacked bishops lynn, and i was just overun. I had a huge army waiting in london, but nothing happended there.
If possible make the AI attack everything expect just only the same city.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0