welcome to out sanguinary sect of worship
feel at home in our black conventicle
as we anathematise
all of those who oppose us
don't summon the devil
don't call the priests
if you need the strength
the conjuring.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
CarolKarine Cartoony, I love your city. The Mayans look surprisingly good in the desert, and combining middle and new world building sets to get the "completely stone" look is well done. Bravo!

But your cliffs are hideous. sorry, but they are. try to avoid using so many, and be careful around elevation. the choppy look you get kills the barren awe. also, rotate your desert trees a bit more. they almost look map-copied.

The path to the city is good, though. as i had to use marco polo for AI reasons (you should include that dracula AI) I get the feeling I'm judging you on things i wasn't supposed to see.

On that note, I will give you a 4.5 for the part I assume I was supposed to see.

[Edited on 10/12/11 @ 09:27 PM]

cartoon_paperboy
File Author
don't you guys forget to talk with the sacred guards ( the eagle warriors ) on the citadel of the city, and i mean everyone beacuse the way to open the gate to the high city ( where the temple of haltimi's ) is talking with the eagle warrior at the south zone of the citadel.

thnks and peace, you know )_)

EDIT:

the dracula AI is just a mistake, please, setanother AI of your choose ( IMMOBILE UNITS ) on the map thnks

peace

[Edited on 10/13/11 @ 02:45 PM]

Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
cartoon_paperboy, please do not double post. The only exception is when you are declaring an update for your file.
cartoon_paperboy
File Author
i got an update for '''dunes'' is only about the AI mistake at the 5 player .. amm can i upload it ?
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Yeah, why not? Everyone else is.
Devious Dev
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
Official Reviewer
Rating
Rating: 4.5

Dunes of Haltami is a huge, good looking desert world, with a huge city in its middle. In this scenario you meet a a lot of cliffs, but very low eyecand. But in here, thats not actually needed. The palm trees and the cliffs, make a great mix, although the trees are mostly very much the same, what makes gives an a little boring feeling. Therefore you meet good terrain mixing, and the atztec-saracen building mix is amazing. Its very busy, what makes it look good as a desert city. The city is completely build on cliffs, and the half atztec half saracen wall looks brilliant. However, the triggerwork was good, you could talk to a lot of people, and the tour was also interesting. The author put a lof of effort in it, and also almost every single unit in the city is renamed. The names are very strange - egyptian like, what increases the feeling that you are in a desert city.

Additional Comments: Really good work! It is clearly visible, that the author took a lot of time to make this entry as good as it can get, and almost achieved that. Good Job, i recommend the download.
HighPriestCaco This is a great map! Not only on design, but also the map has an history that make the scenario more interesting.

Great job!
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
The Dune of Haltamti is Cartoon_Paperboy’s 10th place entry to the 2011 Pretty Town Contest.

Rating: 3.5
The Dunes of Haltamti showcases a lot of promising talent from the author, however it fails to live up to it’s full potential. The scenario depicts a maze of cliff faces across a desert like landscape in the centre of which lies a small fortress city. The design of the city is very nice and well laid out. The walls snake around the cliff faces to create natural defences and the buildings within and well laid out and realistic, creating enough space for units to manoeuvre yet keeping the crowded atmosphere of a busy city. The mixture of the Arabic and American architectures was interesting and worked in some areas but not in other. Personally I wasn’t a fan of how the walk were designed mixing these two styles and I think they looked a bit unrealistic. Outside the city the landscape is well designed with some nice terrain mixing and some additional eye candy. My biggest problem with this map however is the overkill of cliffs and palm trees. I can see the intention was to use the cliffs to create the titular dunes but they don’t work. Dunes are supposed to be large hills of sand and not rocky cliff faces. Using elevation and desert terrain would have been a better choice. Also, for a desert there is far too much vegetation. Palm trees are in huge clumps everywhere. It would make sense if this was a giant oasis, but water isn’t seen anywhere. This is particularly bad in the city where there is more trees than houses.

Additional Comments:
Overall the Dunes of Haltamti is a well designed map but suffers from issues with realism and some unfavourable design choices.

Thanks
Possidon

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:440