Single Player Scenarios » [ chapter XXI ] - the pursuit - update [ no lagg ]

Download File Post Review Post Comment

[ chapter XXI ] - the pursuit - update [ no lagg ]

Author File Description
cartoon_paperboy
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Build and Destroy
7 years before the clash at the Volpox district.

there was a little lagg when you atk at the green fortress, now is clean please feel free to tell me anything

peace

cartoon_paperboy
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
GeneralR Very nice for your first scenario, the design is great, but there is no story or cutscene, except that, actually everything is good.

peace :P
cartoon_paperboy
File Author
im sorry to say that there is a story, :) and i hope i can show it on the next months dude lets just say this one is the intro to the campaign, i didnt put every scenario beacuse, well i didnt finished yet the others due to the &*9$% school and homework but soon you will see the rest of the campaign, i hope so.

peace

cartoon.
panel
Official Reviewer
if it's an introduction, a good story is all the more recommended.

anyway, I saw the map, it looks good. I'm not really into build&destroy but maybe i'll give this a try.

EDIT: I have to say, even though I am not a b&d expert, that this game is excessively hard, even on standard difficulty. The player is stranded in the middle of the map with enemies coming quickly from all sides. Also, the enemies have their bases already built-up and can go straight to creating armies while the player has a long way ahead of him before making a decent army.

If you were to update the map making it more balanced for non-expert players, I would play it through and perhaps give it a review.

[Edited on 12/28/11 @ 09:42 AM]

panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions2.0
"[ chapter XXI ] - the pursuit" is a classic Build and Destroy scenario. The map is very well designed, however the difficulty level makes the game rather inaccessible for most people.

Playability: 3
The game has a very big potential and it is a real shame that the author has not made it more playable for more casual build-and-destroy gamers such as myself. It can get extremely frustrating, but I'll talk about the difficulty more in-depth in the balance category. For me, the biggest enjoyment of the game was brought by exploring the map, and the biggest frustration by the fact that I could not complete the game without shameless cheating.

Balance: 2
I found the game to be insanely difficult. The human player is stranded in the middle of the map with vicious AI oponents attacking from every flank, from the very beginning. You start off in imperial age, but have very limited resources, very little fortifications (two towers) and the few units you have will only suffice to repel the first few waves of attackers, after that, if you're not a B&D expert, your only chance to survive is through cheating.

It wouldn't be too hard to balance things out though. How about giving the player some more fortifications to begin with? Also, allow him to build siege units at least. At this point it just seems like you've set all the elements of the game against him and it will be enough for many not-that-skilled players to abandon the game because of frustration.

A difficulty level dynamics system could be a very good idea, and the current level should definitely be the hardest in that case (maybe even tone this one down a notch!)

Creativity: 3
The game's creativity stems mainly from the map design, which is very good, and the non-standard and challenging AI is always a good touch, it should be kept, but balanced out by the other aspects of the game, as I've already adviced in the previous category.

The main letdown is the lack of interesting events happening during the game. Sure, you don't have the time to get bored with the enemies constantly attacking you, but triggering some events always increases the excitement of a game and takes it further than a simple random map - type of game, which this game is mostly similar to.

Map Design: 5
I have a soft spot for snowy/icy landscapes, and this one is very well done, reminiscent of games like Ulio. I like the way you used gaia objects and the players' strongholds looked good too. You definitely have a talent for designing maps, but you should not forget that there are other aspects to a game.

Such as:

Story/Instructions: 2
This was dissappointing in the sense that there is no backstory other than "Demeter must survive". Who is he? Who are his enemies with weird names? Answering these questions in some way would make your game so much more enjoyable. Also,making the story develop in some kind of meaningful way during the game (like through the triggered events that I was talking about in the creativity sectiojn) would have also made a difference.

Additional Comments:
A very promising and very nicely designed scenario, but very unbalanced at the moment and lacking truly creative moments.

I recommend the download only for people that are very good at AOK and need a real challenge, or for people that want to admire a nice map, at the risk of being frustrated by the game's difficulty.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0