Tropicalago

Author File Description
kralyk
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Build and Destroy
Screenshot:
Description
The map is meant to resemble areas of large number of small and usually forested islands somewhere in Caribbean or southeast Asia, like this for example. Player starts on a small island (mostly 11 by 11) sourrounded by shallows, water and a number of similar or often even smaller islands. The starting island is not forested, others are 80% to 90% forested. Using scarce space efficiently is quite a challenge, therefore this map is meant for intermediate and skilled players. The map may look a bit messy at the first glance, but that is by design ;-)

Resources
Generally, this map is quite rich on resources. The starting island offers 4 forage bush, 4 turkeys (+2 in distance), 2*4 gold and 2*2 stone. The rest of the map is rich on fish. There are also gold and stone mines scatered across the world, but never more than 3 in a single spot. There's a bit less stone, as I expect it won't be needed all that much. Wood is abundant. Number of relics equals number of players.

Gameplay
Given the nature of the map, naval and land battle blends in one here. Good navy is crucial, but land forces can be useful too, as they can move about almost as freely as ships. Don't expect to be able to build a fort - walls are mostly pointless here. Towers will probably prove quite useful instead. It is a good idea to start chopping down forests early on, as that will provide both enough wood for building ships as well as space for expansion.

Known Issues
[list]
  • Occasionally this map crashes the game. I don't know yet why, probably it's the terrain generation.
  • AI can't play too well. They mostly get stuck not being able to build all the necessary buildings. I don't know how to make AI yet ... maybe someone would like to contribute one?
    [/list]

Ok, that's about all I think. It's my first RMS, so please have mercy ;-)
    Enjoy...
  • AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
    Mash
    (id: Mashek)
    Staff
    Official Reviewer
    Very effective random map. Thanks for sharing.
    craigibhoy Very nice map love the setting seems a challenge:)
    Niflxeim Nice map!
    HockeySam18
    Staff
    Official Reviewer
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Theme5.0
    Visual Appeal5.0
    Playability5.0
    Theme: 5
    The theme is quite unique, depicting many jungle islands connected by shallows and shallow water. It reminds me a lot of the Montezuma scenarios 2 and 5.

Visual Appeal: 5
    Especially for a random map, this looks very nice! Jungle, grass, shallows, and water are mixed well. There could be a little more eyecandy, but this is one of the better-looking random maps that I've seen.

Playability: 5
    The playability is quite unique. Players are forced to fight furiously for each spot of land and resource that they have, creating many competitive standoffs and large battles. At the same time, naval strength is incredibly important, as the islands are small and any part of the map can be accessed by boat. Cannon galleons in particular are quite deadly, as they can annihilate an entire enemy base without difficulty.

Additional Comments:
    This map was a fun experience and is thoroughly recommended to players looking for hours of fun. Frankly, I think this should be hosted in online multiplayer lobbies more.
    aidenpons Has a nasty tendency to crash my game.... about a 50% chance. *shrugs*

Also, does the lack of space impair the AI badly? There's not much room for farms... and not much wood for them, either.
    aidenpons Huh, I managed to dig this up:

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=28,40969,90,all

Basically large maps + Jungle + Shallows don't mix and you get an overflow of zone numbers and a crash.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
    Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
    Forgot password?
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Theme5.0
    Visual Appeal5.0
    Playability5.0