Recent Updates

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Forest

Author File Description
Devious Dev
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
This forest was orginally created for ZeroEmpires' Lets Build A Custom Scenario Competition, as an entry to the second round. I have decided to upload it here. You can see a preview here.

I would have made this map into a scenario, but somehow it crashes upon testing if Player 2 exists, so you can only play it with 1 player (and GAIA).

You can use this map for whatever you want, if you manage to get a playable file of it, but please give me (Dragonslayermcmx or Devestator) credit.

About the Map itself, it is a tiny map, and its my best looking map ever. I put a lot of effort into it, so comments and feedback would be appreciated.

The file contains an SCX file, to play it, put the file int you "Scenario" folder, which is to be found in your "Age of Empires II" folder. Then start the game and the file is in your scenario list.

Thanks for downloading,

-Dragonslayermcmx / Devestator
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Rating: 4
Dragonslayermcmx's "Forest" is a small non-playable map featuring some decent foresty terrain.

The author considers it his best map design yet. I honestly disagree, as I've enjoyed his "Demon Town" scenario more in terms of design. Even though this is generally speaking a good looking map, there are some things that haven't given me the best impression: first off, there seems to be a little bit too much order for a landscape of this sort. Many elements are just too obvious in following a pre-thought design, such as the river, the cliffs and the forest paths, which are all too straight and unorganic to really give the impression of a natural environment. This could be avoided in the case of cliffs, for instance, by making them shorter.

The swamp also had this problem, it seems to have a very precise shape and isn't blended in the environment well enough. In other words, instead of looking like it formed naturally, it looks like someone inserted it there.

Another problem I find is the lack of any point of real interest. The terrain mixing and object placing is of good quality, but there isn't anything to really blow you away. The castles you discover, for instance, have nothing really special about them, they seem to be placed there randomly.

I know I've been pretty critical in this review, but this is mainly for helping the author improve and get the most out of this feedback.

Additional Comments:

This is a recommended download, and a good template for somebody looking for a forest map for their scenario, but as a map design showcase it doesn't have a "wow" factor to it. This is good map design, but not great, though there are hints here that the author can improve his design a lot.
Devious Dev
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
Official Reviewer
File Author
Well, opinions may differ, i still like this one more then Demon Town ;) Thanks for the review :)

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:539
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:45.80 KB