Utilities » AoK-TC Resource Stats

Download File Post Review Post Comment

AoK-TC Resource Stats

Author File Description
Bestrafer
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Dear ladies and gentlemen,

I would like to publish the summary of some of my 'scientific' exlorations on resources in AoK I made in the past.

It provides you a good overview on graphical, sound-and script-resources (.slp, .wav and .bin resp.) in AoK, in which DRS they are stored and which indices they cover. This could be helpful for modders on their way to understanding the resource structure. In particular it may be useful when adding new resources.

Current file version: v2.1
Files format: x1 doc + x1 pdf.
Target game: Age Of Empires 2 & The Conquerors Expansion
Purpose: summary and visualization of the structure of how the resources are stored in AoK-TC.
Target group: modders.
Tools used:
- A.G.E. v1.8 (extracting resource-files)
- Matlab 7.1 (managing extracted files)
- MPS v2.0 (viewing resources).

I would be very glad about any remarks and/or comments!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Sarn
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty3.0
Quality/Instructions4.0
This file by Bestrafer is a set of charts outlining the resource storage structure used by AoK and the TC.

Usefulness/Novelty: 3
The charts included an outline of how the resource structure is laid out for AoK/TC and is the first I've seen of its kind, but I really didn't see how helpful it would be to modders. The only exception I would think is someone who is doing a large-scale modding project that goes beyond MPS and AGE. It goes beyond the data stored in the files and outlines the actual structure of the files, but as a data editor, I could barely understand what the charts were trying so, and once I did, I was asking myself "Why do I need to know this?" As such, I don't think this file is very useful; I think that anyone who is doing sufficient work as to need benefit from something like this doesn't need it.

Novelty: 4
Usefulness: 2

Quality/Instructions: 4
The charts are nicely laid out and ordered and the quality is quite high. There was obviously work put into it researching and arranging the data. The instructions are absent, but are almost unneeded, but it could have benefited for an explanation of how to actually use this data.

Quality: 5
Instructions: 3

Additional Comments:
This is a very interesting file, but I cannot honestly say it is very helpful, since an understanding of exactly how the resource storage system is structured is not an essential part of modding. For someone diving deeper into the files, it might be helpful, but for the majority of people here, I don't think they'd find any use of it.
Bestrafer
File Author
...well, if I want to insert a big amount of new SLP-s and so want to outline, to dedicate a continous sequence of numbers that would be free of overlapping... overlapping with the existing ones.
In my case: 61000.slp ÷ 61701.slp ...

Sarn, thank you for review :)

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty3.0